“Perfect Spot for a Mother/Daughters Trip!”

Negril Tree House Resort
Ranked #12 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Iowa City, Iowa
“Perfect Spot for a Mother/Daughters Trip!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I am a frequent traveler to Negril, but this was my first trip with my mom and sister and my first stay at the Tree House. When planning this trip (for my sister's 40th), I wanted something different from where I ususally stay and then Tree House offered a great Groupon deal. Sold! I worked with Cynthia very closely in planning and she was super helpful, always responsive and a pleasure to deal with.

When we arrived, check in was a breeze and Jermaine gathered all of our bags - and with three women, you know there were a lot of them - and led us to our room. We had booked a Garden View suite and I have to admit that at first I was a little disappointed. Our garden view from our balcony was of the solar water heaters and we were in the back part of the property. My disappointment lasted about 5 minutes - we LOVED our room and spent a lot of time on the HUGE balcony, swinging in the hammock swings, talking and enjoying the rum. The only issue I can see with the layout is that the balcony is not private, but runs the length of the building. Each suite has its own set of chairs, swings and a couch, but there is no wall or other barrier between them. We were fortunate that the people next to us seemed to prefer watching tv and were never on their balcony, but I could see where that might me an issue for some.

The rest of the room was perfect for our needs - fridge, microwave and we asked housekeeping for some utensils and a blender. No problem! The suite had one big bedroom, two bathrooms and then the living area which had two Murphy beds. Again - absolutely perfect for us - mom had the bedroom and sis and I used the Murphy beds (which were a little hard, but not unbearable). We never felt crowded and having the two bathrooms was a godsend!

The beach was beautiful and spotless - we never felt crowded there either and didn't have to "reserve" chairs at the crack of dawn. The included buffet breakfast was a nice start to the day and had good variety. Eggs to order, waffles, something traditionally Jamaican every day, fruit, porridge (the cornmeal was our fave!) toast, coffee and juice. We LOVED the jerk made by Allen - truly delicious and he has such a fun personality. We also took advantage of the free paddle board clinic and I think I found a new sport! It was so much fun being out on the water like that. Tree House really has all the conveniences right there - money exchange at a good rate, watersports, tour desk, jerk shack, bar, restaurant, amazing beach, great staff - and an owner, Gail, that is totally hands on and engaged. She was celebrating her birthday when we were there and the Manager's Reception was a lot of fun. Rum punch, limeade, popcorn, small munchies, a live band and birthday cake.

I really have nothing but good things to say about our stay at Tree House - and in fact, have been talking to my husband about staying there again, this time on our annual December trip. The location is great - within a 5-10 minute walk to my favorite bar in the world (Sun Beach) - the staff is wonderful, the grounds and rooms well kept. We will be back!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank llleff

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (408)
  • Finnish first
Thunder Bay, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2014

I would like to thank all the staff at this resort for a great experience. During our stay my wife Donna fell down the stairs in lobby all the staff were great from helping out from wheelchairs to crutches. Our cab driver Trever for the scenic view to hospital and all his help there.Jacky in the restaurant was the best and made our experience fun all our friends loved her.All the staff there helped in every way from someone checking on my wife and how she is doing daily, and by everyone daily from front desk to maids and movie star chef.The owner was also very friendly and did everything to make this a great trip will definitely return to stay here. I give this hotel 5 stars.The food at bar is excellent also lunch buy movie star chef.There are just so many good things to say about everyone there.I can't remember all the names but thanks to everyone for a great experience.

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are best upper or lower the view is awesome.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank RumRick
Hamden, Connecticut
Reviewed March 11, 2014

When I first arrived, I had a mixed opinion. That changed by the end of my visit. I had a problem with my original room (no hot water in the sink) and was switched to a much larger room. Although the original room was extremely small (Room 8), I could have lived with it but I have to confess that I was disappointed when I initially was shown the room. As someone else noted, the rooms at the back of the property are a little nosier because of the road traffic but it was not so bad. The beach was really quite nice so there were extra points for that, especially when compared to other hotels nearby. The staff was absolutely fabulous. Allen was hilarious and such a good cook at the outdoor beach barbecue location; Patrick and Elrick at the bar were always willing to chat. The women working in the cafeteria on the second floor were sooooo gracious and helpful! All of the staff at the front desk were accomodating and always happy to help. The other guests were "grown-ups" which means no wild college students nor a lot of small children (some, but not many). I did absolutely nothing while I was there except sit on the beach and read. It was a perfectly wonderful vacation! Oh, and I should mention that the other guests I met were really very nice. Overall, a good experience with staff, guests, beach, and weather!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms in the back if street traffic (sounds of cars going by) will keep you awake.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

2 Thank 00HappyTraveler
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed March 10, 2014

My husband and I wanted to go somewhere we've never been so we decided to go to Jamaica. Being clueless where to stay and what's in there, I did my research and found Negril Tree House. We are so glad to stay at this place. A lot of local people knows it and they said it's one of the oldest hotels and one of the best in Negril. It is situated on the 7 mile beach and they have everything I could wish. Daily breakfast (which also serves their traditional Jamaican food), good and friendly service, great food, nice and clean ambiance and I feel very safe. No one steals your stuff when you forgot it. Negril is about an hour and a half drive from Montego Bay Airport. Water is safe to drink at the restaurants so no need to buy bottled water. I wouldn't suggest drinking from the faucet in your room though. Wi-fi is also available at the hotel's lobby so anytime we need to connect to our son back home, there is no problem reaching him. Ice is always available. The hotel offers tours and taxi too just in case you'll want to do or go somewhere. But we took local taxis outside the hotel. We also arranged a double massage by the beach. Never felt so relaxed. Beach towels are provided and the hotel provides money exchange too in case you'll need Jamaican dollars. Only cons I noticed is our room has mosquitos. Perhaps it's from the flowers they used in our room or it goes for every hotel in Jamaica. We decided to transfer the flowers in our patio on the third day and me being bitten by mosquitos. I am the only person those mosquitos love to bite. My husband didn't get any at all. It must be my blood or I don't know. Also, they don't have conditioner in our room but we have toothpaste instead.

Overall experience was great. I definitely recommend this place.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

4 Thank Mara D
Manhattan, Montana
Reviewed March 9, 2014

From the moment we arrived, we were treated like family! The owner, Gail was there and great. All of the staff treated us so well and seemed happy to be working there. The breakfasts were very good and the food and prices at the beach bar were good also. Our room was clean and quiet. The beach was nice and the central location for beach walking is a plus. We will definitely be back here as we liked it the best of all of the places we have stayed in Negril.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank David V
Rochester, New York
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We stopped by for drinks and a couple of apps. The food was overall average, we ordered the cucumber salad and conch fritters. Both were good, cucumber salad nothing to brag about. The drinks were cold and came quickly. The view of the ocean and location of this place was great, right on the water, in the middle of everything and lots to see with many people walking by. Stop by for a drink--the view and sunset are to die for. Sometimes it is easy to take views like this for granted--until you get home to work and lousy weather--what I would give right now for avg. cucumber salad! Travelpapi says thumbs up for the view and drinks.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelpapi153
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed March 9, 2014

We try somewhere new to stay each trip to Negril. This year we stayed further up the beach at the Negril Treehouse. When booked through Kayak.com, there was no place to note a room preference so upon arrival we were shown a ground floor room. Having heard the better rooms are upper level, no problem the staff happily moved us to a upper floor room at the back of the property. A little noisier because it was closer to the road but really it was fine. The pluses: good full breakfast each morning, reasonable rates, nice and fully staffed at all times (JA women owned and operated also is good to see), grounds are well maintained all day every day, rooms are comfortable and king beds are great, bed pillows and linens better than many in the price range, some amenities in the room such as soaps and ice bucket, good cable selection in the room too, housekeeping is top notch. The only thing that I would have preferred (or at least known ahead of time) is that it appears that all verandas are only semi-private, and some less private than others. Perhaps other than the ocean front suites, each veranda is shared by 3 rooms, so if you are the first room--i.e., the room at the top of the stairs or just off the sidewalk--you will have two other rooms walking your veranda to get to their door. While each room has a nice wicker table and 3 chairs and the verandas are wide, we used it probably one-tenth as much as we would have had it been fully private. Also, it's good to know that this is a sizable resort and all the things that come along with that: lots of room and beds on the beach to chose from, big beach bar and restaurant, beach barbecue with the Singing Chef during the day, lots of young couples and families, and several activities on the property such as yoga and paddle boarding (some even are free). Be sure to drop in on Auntie's Pattys about ten feet up the beach for Red Stripes and pattys or even a pick-your-own lobster. For those who walk the road at night like we do, I wouldn't venture too far up the beach at night but we walked the road up from as far as Roots Bamboo a couple nights without any hassle although bring a flashlight and stay at least semi-sober for the walk. Thanks Treehouse for an easy and good value stay.

Room Tip: If you want a more private veranda, ask for the room farthest from the top of the stairs. Upstairs r...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple