“Amazing Deal”

Ranked #14 of 85 Hotels in Negril
Toronto, Canada
“Amazing Deal”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

I just returned from Jamaica on May 6th, 2012. This was my 15th trip to Jamaica. I was there with my wife and a friend. This was my 5th or 6th time staying at the Tree House. We were in Jamaica for a Wedding in Runaway Bay. We spent half the trip in Negril and the other half we stayed at the Gran Bahia Principe. All i will say is although the Principe is rated higher i would never stay there again. The Staff wasn't friendly, the beach sucked. The Hotel had several problems i won't go into. didn't even fell like i was in Jamaica anymore. My wife was referring to the hotel as the "isle of Bahia"

Now back to the Tree House, although it is an older Hotel, it is still one of my favorites in Negril.
My wife has always traveled to all inclusive's, so she was a little hesitate about staying at the Tree House. But after our stay there she has told me that she would go back to the Tree House in an instant.

For all of you Travelers who don't go "All Inclusive" this is the place to stay.
Also if you are in need of Transportation to and from the Airport or any were else
on the Island, be sure to contact my friend Dudley Warren of Bigshiptours.

duds24@hotmail.com

He and his drivers are the best. They are always on time(early) and will provide you with anything you need, be it information about places to or places to shop.

I am now counting the days to my next trip and stay at the Negril Tree House.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Anthony P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Finnish first
Jersey City, New Jersey, United States
Reviewed May 24, 2012

i like the outdoorsy feel, room was ok. plenty of ants, so be careful when leaving ur food on the table or flat surface coz ants can crawl on to them. beach was beautiful. we went on a bob marley tour. lots of people selling hash, so be careful. food was ok. we are not hard to please so we quite enjoyed our travel. :) would go back to thisnplace if theres another good promo!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Aissa L
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I purchased a voucher from Living Social (like many guest staying at the Negril Tree House) and spent 5 days with my best friend. I was very impress with the smooth transition from the airport in Montego Bay to the hotel in Negril.

The first evening we arrived late so we ate jerk chicken from a local vendor and sipped a Red Strip while sitting at the hotel bar on the beautiful 7 Mile Beach. Some music and the bar, would be nice in the future. The hotel room was clean except for the red ant invasion near the AC, the uncomfortable pillows, and the very tired looking towels (PLEASE UPGRADE AT WALMART OR TARGET). I bought my own beach towel (thankfully) the beach towels are SUPER tired and ready to be used for cleaning the property as opposed to lounging on the beach.

It was recommended we go to The Jungle since it was ladies night. Oh Boy! It was more like Jungle Fever Part 2/Hook-up Central. I was totally creeped out when guys knew I was staying at the Negril Tree House (total forgot about the bracelet they make you wear when you arrive). Bad idea, I decided to remove mine because I felt very unsafe.

The staff was polite and friendly especially Chef Allen, Tony (selling bracelets off to the side) Maurice, Leon, Jacqueline, Bradley, Karen, Ms. Joy our housekeeper, and our taxi driver William. I give these folks 5 star rating for their exceptional hospitality. I would return because of them.

Breakfast is included but there needs to be more organized and more options …..like cereal. Not everyone wants to eat lunch for breakfast. The fruit was good but also very limited in choices.

Be careful trusting locals; they are NOT trustworthy!!. Many are out looking for an opportunity to make money and can create scandals. I was in a situation where I invited a local from the Mayfield Falls to have Chef Allens jerk chicken for lunch and it turns out she was a fake, phony, scam artist, causing drama and making outrageous allegations on the beach, on a beautiful afternoon. Long story short…STAY AWAY FROM PEASANTS & DON’T GO OUT OF YOUR WAY TO BE NICE. The hotel did a very good job diffusing a potential drastic situation.

Would I return to the Negril Tree House? Probably Not. Would I recommend it? Probably not.

Would I return to Negril? Yes, I would return but I would stay at an all-inclusive resort instead and bring my bf to keep the creepers away.

Peace.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank Tanya M
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 22, 2012

I have conflicting opinions about this hotel. It was a very nice location, included breakfast every morning (large tummy-filling breakfast too!) the rooms were air conditioned, there was free wifi in the lobby, over all a great value and experience. However, there were some things lacking. The staff was a bit stand-off-ish, and not exactly forthcoming with information, this includes the activities desk. This was very disappointing and I was glad my friend, whom I was vacationing with, had done some great research! From the waitstaff to the front desk staff, they weren't eager to inform us of restaurants, activities, or much of anything really.
Also kind of strange was that it seemed all staff had either friends or family hanging around the hotel with them while they worked. I'm not sure if this is a Jamaican thing, which it may be, but it added to their distraction from helping us.
The breakfast 'rules' seemed to change daily, one day if you wanted say a waffle or omelet (made to order) you would order straight from whomever was making those items, next day when we tried to order the same way we were ignored and finally told we were suppose to order with a woman who wrote our room number down and order, so although we were first in line we were last to be served. Just bizarre.
We were in room 4 this room was near the ocean, beach and pool, which was nice, however also near the kitchen and therefore a lot of noise! From staff and it was on the pathway to everyone else's rooms- lots of noise.
Very thin walls in our small room. We heard a lot of things I would've preferred not to!! Also the beds were probably the most uncomfortable I'd slept in, and I'm a flight attendant so I've slept in a lot of hotels. Also the beach and pool towels felt like sandpaper. Those are my complaints.
I would probably stay here again, just because it's a beautiful location and a great value, but I'd bring my own towels, bring earplugs, and maybe some ambien ;) and do a lot of my own research on where to eat and what to do....

• Stayed May 2012
9 Thank Managirl79
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Our room (at Tree House was perfect for us. It was very private, big enough, and very clean. The A/C worked-ish. Sometimes it had a mind of its own if you clicked the wrong button on the remote but the weather was so nice we really didn't need it. Great table and chair hammock on patio. Would definitely recommend 2nd floor.

The location, landscaping, housekeeping and bar service is what gives this place 4 stars for me. I liked the location because it seemed more quiet and secluded than closer to downtown Negirl. You may hear some bass from nearby clubs but it will only keep you up if you are very light sleeper. The landscapers were RELENTLESS and always working to make the resort look immaculate. Our room was very clean when we arrived and was cleaned well each day. The bartenders were also very good and the drinks were strong.

The pool area is also very nice and provides a good break from the beach. Wireless in the lobby is also handy.

Definitely recommend getting a massage from Cheryl's while you are there. We waited until the last day and it was perfect.

The breakfast was ok but disorganized and service was hit or miss. Somedays we got great service others we didn't get any. Food from the hotel was ok and reasonably priced. Drinks were a little more expensive than other beach bars but not extremely.

Service at the front desk was rarely cordial. It's the only thing that kept me from giving it 5 stars. When the person that checks you in doesn't look happy to be there or happy to help you, it kind of starts things off on the wrong foot.

Overall, it really is a great bang for your buck and has a ton of charm. With some service improvements, I don't see any chain resorts competing with Tree House.

Room Tip: Ocean side room. 2nd Floor. Corner room.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank wojo15jg
raingowens
Reviewed May 17, 2012

My friend and I booked this hotel on a living social deal.
The good:
*Clean. Rooms were really clean.
*Location
*Price
*beachfront area
*Air conditioning in rooms
*Breakfast included. Fresh fruit, waffles, etc...

The Bad:
*Loud, and the walls are REALLY thin, don't plan on getting a great night sleep
*The staff was nice at times. I felt for the most part that they weren't very helpful. If you plan on staying here plan out what you are going to do and where you are going to eat before coming. Don't think you can rely on the staff here, they aren't very forthcoming
*Breakfast was provided but SO unorganized. I waited in line for waffles for 20 minutes only to find out they were taking orders...really weird and no direction.

All in all a nice place to stay. Just do your homework before coming.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank raingowens
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed May 17, 2012

I was in Montego Bay on a medical mission trip in March 2012 and had the opportunity to take an excursion to Negril for a day. Our driver dropped us off on the beach at Tree House Resort. I fell in love with the location and the hospitality. We found a spot under the shade and were politely approached by a man named Captain Morgan who let us know that he was nearby and could arrange water sports for us, and by a woman who let us know that she offered massages for a dollar a minute on the other side of the Tree House restaurant. My mom and I had cocktails from the bar and one of the servers came over to our spot on the beach and let us know that we could order lunch and be served on the beach. We chose to sit at a table at the restaurant right in front of the water and we had delicious salads and oohed and aahed over how nice the whole setting was. Upon my return home, I told my boyfriend how perfect this place looked for us, checked out Trip Advisor reviews and saw that Tree House was also recommended in Lonely Planet. Airfare was affordable so I booked a week-long trip for Tree House the day after I returned from my mission trip. I literally counted down the days until my return!!

What we loved:

Breakfast on the 2nd floor with views of the sea included Jamaican dishes every day, omelettes made to order, juice and Blue Mountain coffee served by friendly servers. Leon was always sweet and Maurice noticed me taking pictures by myself one day (my boyfriend was sleeping in) and offered to take my picture in front of the beautiful view and offered to refill my coffee cup that he saw I was taking with me back to the room.

Lunch: GET THE JERK CHICKEN!!! It was the best we had the whole trip! But order it early because they run out! Also watch for the guy selling Jamaican patties out of a cardboard box propped up on his bike. He walks along the beach past Tree House every day. Patties are $1.50US and he's super nice. We also loved the pizza at Tree House.

The beach in Negril is heavenly. It's clean, the water is crystal clear to the bottom, the sand is soft, I almost cried after I came out of the water on our last day. Beach vendors will approach you, especially when you walk up and down the beach, but they will keep walking if you are polite and say no, thank you. Security is present at Tree House and they make hustlers move along if they come up to guests on the beach.

Get a massage from Cher (her table is at the back of the beach), she's a sweetie, but don't miss a massage from Sheryl and Latoya in the white uniforms under the canopy by the water. Boyfriend and I got a couples massage from them, they charged us $40US/person for an HOUR and it was AWESOME!!

Also appreciated the taxi service available at the front desk. We had great service from each of our drivers, Clive, Trevor, and Norris. Clive was especially gracious even after a misunderstanding about the price the first time he drove us.

We met really nice people staying at Tree House and always had new friends to sit by on the beach or to go out with at night. The people we met were a big highlight of our trip!

What made us sad:

Our 2nd day on the beach one of the housekeeping staff came up to me and told me I needed to come with her to my room. Not knowing what was going on, I jumped up from my beach chair and followed her in my bathing suit to our room where she told me that we had left too much sand on the floor and she had slipped and hurt her back and her ankle. She pointed to the area by the front door where we had shoes on the floor and an area on the other side of the bed where I had set down our beach bags from the day before. I understand she was upset that she had hurt herself and I apologized and let her know we would rinse our feet off before we came into our room. I felt really bad about this the rest of the day but felt she could have handled the situation more professionally. Did she pull me off the beach just to make me feel bad?? The next day I left her a note on our pillow next to the tip I left every day apologizing again and hoping she was having a better day. She ignored us the rest of the time we were there.

I was SO disappointed with the service during our stay here. I am actually perplexed at all of the reviews raving about it. We felt like the servers at the beach restaurant and the bartenders didn't care about us unless we were sitting with other guests they liked. Which I don't understand because we tipped and tipped every time we ordered anything. Nobody ever brought our food order out to us at our beach chairs although I saw food being brought out to people who weren't even guests at the hotel. I felt like I was going out of my way to smile and say thank you to staff so they would know that they could be nice to us.

I would totally go back to Negril and Jamaica for vacation but I don't know if I could bring myself to go back to Tree House. I went back there wanting to love it but we were so disappointed with the service. I'm heartbroken!

Room Tip: Walls are thin as others have pointed out and it starts getting noisy around 7am. You can hear bass...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple