“Not worth the cost”

Negril Hills Golf Club
Ranked #25 of 49 Outdoor Activities in Negril
More attraction details
Owner description: Hilly course with a beautifully landscaped green, offering a very challenging shot at the ninth hole.
NorCal
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 48 helpful votes
“Not worth the cost”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

There isn’t too much to say about this place other than its overpriced and needs some work. The cost of the green fee $59 (not bad) but by the time you add in the cost of the caddie $20 +tip (Mandatory), cart $25 (don’t try to play without it) and club rentals ($15 to $ 40) it’s a little pricey for what you get. The course layout is decent but needs some overall work on the fairways and greens. Additionally the cart paths or lack of are horrid, I think the only reason you have a caddie is to tell you were the tee box is, because other than that they are worthless. I played the day they were thatching the greens, there was still dead grass on three of holes which I couldn’t even putt. When I complain or ask for a discount I was told sorry come back if the peak season. WOW that’s customer service.

3 Thank DieHardRamsFan

California
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Fun Round”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

The only place to play near Negril. It's a challenging course with many elevated tees and sloping fairways. The course isn't in the best condition, but it's great for a day of golf in Negril.

1 Thank Alex K
Isle of Man
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 85 helpful votes
“Great Fun, Fair Test.”
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We recently stayed at Couples Negril in July 2012 and my husband played the course 4 times during my stay. This is his review :

At home I walk a and carry my golf clubs, because of the heat and the hills I would definitely recommend hiring a cart ($34).
The course offers a good challenge and placing your drive into the right place on the narrow fairways from the elevated tees is vital. I had a great caddy called Neville who offered accurate advice throughout concerning the drives and reading the breaks on the greens.
Overall a good course which I enjoyed playing. It is a fair test, however you probably need more than one round to fully appreciate the course,

2 Thank Jandyson
Lewiston, Maine
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Goats on the fairway...only in Jamaica!”
Reviewed July 26, 2012

We were excited to golf in Jamaica, and it was a memorable experience. DO NOT WALK 18 HOLES! We figured since the caddies were carrying the bags we could walk. Well, with 90 degree weather and 75% humidity, we were dripping in sweat by the 3rd hole. I could not play the last hole because of heat exhaustion. The course was average, with some pretty views at the top of the hills. The caddies, Nadine and June, were very helpful and very friendly. Only in Jamaica do you see goats in the fairway! Price was fair for the caddie and cart, and club rental ranged from $15-40 per set. There is a beverage cart that does go around, make sure you get water!

Edmond, Oklahoma, United States
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Beautiful Scenery, Bad Caddy”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

I stayed at Couples Negril, and took the free shuttle to Negril Hills one morning to play. The green fee was free, but I had to pay $25 for a cart and $18 plus tip for the caddy. The course was pretty, and challenging. The rough could be brutal at times, but I kind of liked that. The greens could have been in better shape, but they weren't bad. Lots of elevation changes make for some fun and challenging shots.
Our caddy was pretty terrible. I wish I remembered her name, but I forgot. She literally rode in our cart with my wife and me. 3 people in a golf cart seat in that heat... Not comfortable at all. I assumed this was normal so I never said anything about it. We later found out they are not allowed to do that, which I probably should have assumed from the beginning. I also purchased some water bottles from the beer cart girl, and walked to the green to putt. While I was on the green, the caddy took my wife's water and poured it into her own bottle she had. I did not find out about this until after we left the course and I was furious! It's 95 degrees with 75% humidity and you're stealing WATER from your customers?? I'm still pretty pissed off about that. Other people who were on the shuttle said they had great caddies who were helpful and respectful, we were not so lucky.

4 Thank Alex F