“Nice”

Ranked #24 of 198 Restaurants in Negril
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Takeout
Reviewed October 3, 2013

My party of 9 went here during a day that is was storming and the power went out. The staff lit candles and ensured us that the problem would be handled quickly due to a back-up generator. The power was back onn we ordr and enjoyed our meals. the staff we very friendly and the food was tasty.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

Day two of Jamaican anniversary brought us to Sweet Spice, a restaurant the cab driver described as a local place for those locals that can afford to eat in a restaurant at all. Sweet Spice is not exactly off the beaten path as it is just outside of downtown Negril on the road to Savannah la Mar.

This place is more of a traditional restaurant with menus and waiters and tickets, but once again because of the time of year, we were the only people in the restaurant except for the workers.

Being our first morning in Negril, of course we had to have akee and salt fish for breakfast. This was served with plantain, yam and a few other fruits. The akee was buttery and delicious as was the salt fish. It was a good, not great breakfast, but as usual, the people were wonderful.

The one person we did meet there besides the waiter, was a gentleman named Orlando that came from the direction of the kitchen, grabbed a table in the restaurant and sat down to have his breakfast as well. I introduced myself and found out that Orlando was the chef. He was great about showing my wife what akee looks like freshly harvested and how it has to be prepped before cooking.

Our breakfast came to $10.00 US / $1000 Jamaican. The check pad was so old that there was a "19" preprinted in the date area of the ticket. Apparently there was a closeout sale at the office supply store some years back and they stocked up.

All in all this was a very nice experience for breakfast. So nice in fact, we came back two days later.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We told Honey we wanted conch and Sweet Spice is where he took us. Authentic Jamaican cuisine and the conch steak was the best I ever had. We also had the conch salad which was amazing as well. The bread alone is reason to visit!

Reviewed September 25, 2013

This used to be one of my favorite places to dine in Negril. Unfortunately they continue to downgrade authenticity to appeal to everyday tastes.
Sadly the food is devolving into everyday tourist Jamaica-lite fare. Chicken should be cooked and served with da bone not deboned. Where are the pimento seeds and fresh thyme?
I sincerely hope this restaurant gets back to its roots of authentic Jamaican cuisine in a pleasant atmosphere at a reasonable price.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

If you want to experience real local food here is the place to be. I would not say this place is fancy but that is part of its homely charm. The food is tasty, service is friendly and great value compared to other places which cater to tourists.
I enjoyed the food at Sweet Spice better than the food I had at more expensive places including the famous Rick's Café.