“Old Time Cooking”

Cuisines: Jamaican
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch
Reviewed April 12, 2010

Not just patties, Miss Sonia has been a staple of the Negril scene since before there was electricity.

She used to *walk* from Grange Hill with her baby and fruit to sell to the few tourists who found their way to Negril in those days. Eventually she set up a little cooking fire and prepared food, her recipes go back a few generations, and while known mostly for her patties, you can drop in early and set up a proper family style meal no problem.

She is a staple of the community and church, has adopted several children off the street, so if you have any unwanted clothing be sure to bring some down. Also not on her menu are her knitted tablecloths and lamp stand covers. Check them out.

3  Thank rebelmonk

Reviewed March 22, 2010

We ate here for lunch, had lobster and curried chicken patties with (of course) Red Stripe. The food was great and we even got to sit and talk with Miss Sonya. It was great to listen to her talk about her family and running the restaurant. We were the only people in there so she had time to come out and visit.

3  Thank Flashknit
Reviewed March 20, 2010

We ate at Miss Sonia's twice: once for brunch, once for dinner.

She is such a sweetie and the food is terrific, made fresh, exactly what you want, to order.

After brunch our bill was J$ 1600: she didn't have change for a J$500 so gave it back with a pay "You can pay me later"...how good is that?

If you go to Negril you have to to Miss Sonia's, opposite side of the street to Rooms, south of the Jungle.

4  Thank 737av8tor
Reviewed January 12, 2010

I had to post this review after reading the review by Brow987b. Of course it was a "fried pastry thing." I had to laugh when I read this. It took forty-five minutes because Sonia made the dough for the pattie from scratch! She takes meticulous care preparing every meal. Not to mention that she is the sweetest lady in all of Negril. I make it a point to stop and say hello every trip, and she welcomes me every time with a big smile and hug, even if I don't stop to eat. I stayed next door to her place several years ago. It was my last night, and I was running low on money. She yelled to me, "will you be coming for dinner tonight?" I told her I was low on money, so I wasn't sure. She told me "don't you worry about money-you need a good healthy meal before your long trip home tomorrow. You come later for dinner-I will make sure you are fed." I went over later, and she made me the best curried goat I have ever tasted in my life. She was not going to charge me, but I had scraped up enough money to pay the tab. I didn't have enough for a tip, so I left her with some personal things; toiletries, etc. She was most appreciative. I personally guarantee you will enjoy anything that Sonia makes you; her patties are the best in Negril, and her other meals are awesome, too. She is a pure joy to talk to, and get to know. She is a spiritual lady, and you can tell she genuinely cares about her customers. I can't wait to see her in a few weeks!

6  Thank HoosierHick
Reviewed January 5, 2010

We ordered two patties from Sonia's and waited FORTY FIVE minutes for them. We asked several times where our food was and told that it would only be a few minutes. It took forty five minutes and then the pattys, oh my goodness, they were absolutely disgusting. It was as if they were fried, they had a very thick pastry kind of thing and smelt absolutely awful. We could not eat them, plus they were like $400US, what an absolute rip off. For a great patty at reasonable price, head down to juicy patty in town! Also the restaurant just seems broke down and shabby with plastic chairs and people were constantly walking in and out of the kitchen into and from the house built immediately behind the restaurant.