“Poor Customer Service, Poor Management”

SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril
Ranked #29 of 80 Hotels in Negril
“Poor Customer Service, Poor Management”
Reviewed August 26, 2014

My family and I stayed at Rooms (Negril) for the weekend recently for the first and LAST time. We checked in at midnight having driven from Kingston and the security guard checked us in (we were on building 9, right in front of the beach). He was very professional and made us feel welcomed. The rooms were exceptionally lovely, spacious and clean, minimal decorations, which I personally didn't mind.
My issue arose with the breakfast "service". When I heard 'continental breakfast' my immediate thought was buffet style eggs and toast. This was not the case. Instead on the tables was a limited selection of packaged single servings of cereal, a pitcher of milk and a very limited selection of teas. Safe to say, I was a little disappointed. My sisters and I were then informed that they had a menu with which we could order from, for a charge. We placed our orders and waited. We weren't served our breakfast until over an hour later. This was AFTER having complained to the waiter, twice. We also had to ask to be served our drinks, water and complimentary fruits, which was given to us one plate to be shared between three persons. After making a stink, we were given a shoddy excuse as to why we had to wait to so long. Please note the restaurant was empty.
My parents were furious as they had received a similar 'service'. My dad went to the lobby and asked to speak to the manager about the incident. He was told that the manager wasn't on location but would be soon. My dad opted to wait and after 30 minutes he was informed that the manager was there but was TOO BUSY to speak to my dad. We decided to go about our business and would deal with the matter later on in the evening.
We returned from our activities off the property and decided to head to the beach. My sister was rudely approached by a waiter from the restaurant and threatened her, telling her that the bill needed to be paid, and that they were going to call the police if this was not done.
We left the hotel on Sunday, still having NOT spoken to the manager and upon leaving we overheard a couple complaining about not having a room despite them booking 2 months in advance. They were demanding to speak to the manager, who again, was TOO BUSY.
It seems to me that this manager clearly does not value his customers and our complaints were beneath him/her. The manager, as well as some of the staff needs several lessons in customer service, hospitality and hotel management. It's a shame that such a beautiful property is tainted by such poor service and downright rude staff, from the bottom up.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
9 Thank Rochelle C
Rooms_Negril, General Manager at SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril, responded to this review, August 27, 2014
Dear Rochelle C,

We wish to acknowledge your feedback regarding your stay.

We wish to point out that it is customary for a client to pay for a meal that is eaten at a restaurant. It is unacceptable that after three meals were eaten in its entirety, your dad refused to pay because of the wait.

As a client, you had the option to cancel the order, rather than waiting then consuming all three meals and then refuse to pay.

We will not detail each comment that was posted, but we felt it necessary to address the real heart of the matter.

Although I was on my scheduled days off, the matter was called in to my attention and the team members were empowered to handle same in a professional manner.

We regret the unfortunate circumstances.

Best regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (142)
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed August 25, 2014

Myself and another girl stayed at this resort in April 2014. The staff was very friendly, maybe too friendly. Several of the guys who work there (pool boy, luggage carrier) frequently flirted with us. Our room was floor ground with sliding glass doors (Didn't feel safe). We slept with a wooden stick beside us. We met up with a local to get us weed, and he passed our weed through the gate right beside our room! Apparently his tent was right beside us. We had NO HOT WATER the full ten days we stayed there. Our complaint was never seen to. The waitress/waiters were very nice and professional. The room cleaners were so nice and honest. A couple staying there the same time as we did got her purse ripped off her as she was walking with her husband!!! I would recommend to keep your money in your bra/pocket. The inclusive breakfast was a joke, but only $6 for eggs and toast. Some people would complain about the cats, but I love cats and fed then daily god love them. Overall I would not stay here again. Negril has way better to offer.

Room Tip: Safety is first. I would recommend a room not on ground level.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jammininjah
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 11, 2014

Upon arriving at Rooms on the Beach, we were greeted by friendly reception staff. However, the process for check-in was more than a bit tiresome. Eventually we got to our room which was nicely presented, (although I'm not too sure if having a towel heart is really appropriate?!)
Even though breakfast came with the room, it ended so early at 9.30am so was missed by myself for all but one of the 7 days I was out there.
Friendly housekeeping staff come everyday and clean your room and hotel staff are somewhat available- evenings are always harder someone.
Everytime we were leaving the hotel, either at the beachfront or the roadside, we were annoyingly asked for our room number which was written down in a folio. Even with wristbands which proved that we were guests, we had to do this. I found it irritating to no end as nothing was actually done with these numbers.
Following a day on the beach, we returned to our room and needed an extra towel. Reception was closed, so I asked the only available staff which was security. The person who had the key to the linen wasn't in and there was no spare. I was in disbelief- as a guest, I could not get an extra towel and ended up using a flannel to dry myself.
It was pleasant, but I would neither return here or recommend this to others.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank Graycode
Rooms_Negril, General Manager at SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril, responded to this review, August 11, 2014
Dear Graycode,

Thank your for choosing Rooms Negril. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the front office and housekeeping staff.

The continental breakfast does end at 9:30am as we advertise. We do offer a 15 minute grace period which some clients appreciate. During the busy independence celebration we extended the complimentary hot beverage (coffee and tea) buffet stations until 12 mid day for the later rises. We also extended full breakfast from 11am to 12:30pm. Again, there were clients who appreciated the extension so that they did not have to rush out of bed.

We do acknowledge that we will not always be able to meet each guest's particular expectation but the staff do go above and beyond for the guests and sometimes with a feed back during one's stay can help us to improve our clients while they are still here.

Thank you for your feedback and we wish you all the best

Reviewed August 10, 2014

first when i moved in I thought that it as not a very good hotel, but after visiting another hotels I understood that this hotel was perfect. They have coffe machine there, everything is clean and it is very close to the ocean. it has free safe box and all furniture which is needed.
This hotel is great if you stay at Ocho Rios to see sights and spend hours at the beach. This is the best beach situated hotel there.
The tour guy which sits in the hotel is great. he can organize any tour or sightseeing for less money than any tourist agency and does it friendly great.

Room Tip: choose ocean view if you want to sit on the balcony and smoke weeds. nobody will see you then as smo...
  • Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Vladimir P
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 7, 2014

I would not return to Rooms on the Beach.
When we arrived we had a ground floor room with a balcony that had no lock on it. When "repaired" the new lock was easily pulled from the wall. We then noticed that the bolt on our door was missing and had to be put on for us.
Our sheets were never changed for the week we were there. Towels ran out at one point, when we requested towels we were offered 2 beach towels instead. The following day we were greeted with a lovely swan made out of the 1 towel that they expected to be shared between us.
Hot water was a constant battle, by day 3 it did arrive, but sometimes not until 3 or 4pm in the afternoon.
If you are hoping to stay for dream week/end don't bother going to bed, you may miss breakfast which is only served until 9.30am unless you would like to go outside of your B&B offer and buy a breakfast.
This is very much a no frills resort, wifi comes at a daily cost (despite the TravelRepublic website saying otherwise) as does a fridge.

Other than the low deposit and the lovely friendly breakfast waiter, there are no positives to this resort.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Natalie H
Dear Natalie H,

Thank you for staying with us.

With regards to the bed linen, in each room there is a standard Save Mother Earth card which explains that "...In an effort to remain committed to the environment, your bed will be made daily, however we will not change your sheets each day. If you feel it is necessary to change the sheets, please leave this card on your pillow in the morning." I can assure you that had the card been placed on the pillow or if the linen was soiled the housekeeper would have changed the linen. Upon checking the housekeepers' worksheet, we noticed that there were two days when an occupant of the room signed for No SERVICE.

There was in fact a problem with the door lock which the maintenance staff rectified within 10 minutes of the call being made to the front desk.

We have diagnosed that the water heater that supplies building 5 which you were on is not performing to the optimal capacity and as result we are in the process of changing same.

We thank you for your feedback and We wish you all the best.

Regards,
Windsor, Connecticut
Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed in building 5 in one of the three ocean view rooms above the restaurant. The room had good views of the beach with a decent size balcony and somewhat updated interior. It had a big flat screen TV with a number of channels.The staff were fairly pleasant but I do think $14 a day for wifi is unreasonable. As other reviewers have commented, this place has serious plumbing issues. Over the course of 4 days, we had to call to the front desk 3 times about a lack of water. On the plus side, the location on 7 mile beach is ideal, right in the middle of everything and close to local restaurants.

This place has some potential if they can fix their water issues, provide free wifi and pay more attention to detail. For example, I left an empty beer bottle next to my beach chair and the empty bottle was still there 2 days later! Providing free local calls would be great as well. Beach chairs need to be replaced as well as the loungers on the balconies.

Room Tip: Building 5 has three ocean front rooms but I can't remember the room numbers.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Andre S
Rooms_Negril, General Manager at SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril, responded to this review, July 26, 2014
Dear Andre S,

Thank you for choosing Rooms Negril as your vacation destination.

We appreciate your feedback and recommendation as it is with feedback such as yours that we can improve on the service that we provide.

We are presently reviewing the WiFi charges, however until it changes the internet cafe in the lobby remains complimentary to all registered guests. We are in the process of completing the plumbing repairs. With these repairs we anticipate a much improved plumbing system.

Just to clarify that you stayed on building 6 and not building 5. Building 6 has the three oceanfront rooms above the restaurant. The rooms numbers are 2602, 2603 and 2604.

Thank you for your feedback and we look forward to hosting you in the future.

King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 21, 2014

After reading several reviews on this hotel, and others in Jamaica we kinda knew what to expect from our holiday. We picked a hotel that was in line with our budget with decent reviews and a good location. We knew that the Jamaicans are well known for being laid back so nothing really came as a surprise to us. We experienced a few problems along our way but nothing that could ruin our holiday in this amazing part of the world.

Our safe in the room was broken on arrival and we were told we could borrow the one in the room next over the corridor and that they would fix ours the next day, 3 days later it still hadn't been fixed. We ended up moving rooms which wasn't ideal but actually ended up in a better room closer to the beach. We then had problems with our patio door, for some reason we couldn't lock it. I reported this to reception and a chap fixed it the next day only for it to break again. This happened 3 or 4 times and in the end we just gave up and forgot about it. Some days we had clean towels, other days we had to call reception as we had not been left enough towels and on one occasion none at all. The lady on reception was so laid back she was almost horizontal, but again we were expecting this after reading previous reviews, and most problems were dealt with in the end.

Our room was nice and big and spacious and the bed was massive, probably the biggest I have ever slept in! and very comfortable. Our room was cleaned well everyday.
The staff at the hotel were mostly friendly and very helpful. My favorite was Keisha who served us breakfast most mornings. She was always smiling and welcoming and told me I sounded like Elvis Presley because I kept saying "thank you very much". The young chap serving in the restaurant was also very nice and pleasant and helpful.

The breakfast itself wasn't much to write home about but was suffice most mornings, but again after reading previous reviews we knew this wasn't going to be 5 star dining. On the mornings I felt a little hungrier I just ordered extra from the menu which was reasonably priced.

The location of the hotel is where this hotel excels. It is set right in the centre of the 7 mile beach in Negril and really is the perfect spot. On the majority of occasions there were plenty of sunbeds unless we didn't get to the beach until the afternoon then it was a struggle. We visited in January and the sea was lovely and warm and clear with very little rain at all over our 2 week stay.

There are lots of places along the beach to go out for meals in the evening within a short walking distance or you can take a taxi into town or to the cliffs which is only a 10 minute drive.

Overall our stay at rooms was enjoyable and we would highly recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit Negril on a budget, as long as you don't expect 5 star service or dining.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank MATTHEW A
Rooms_Negril, General Manager at SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril, responded to this review, September 4, 2014
Dear First Lady G,

We wish to acknowledge your review of our stay with us.

Thank you for stopping by at such short notice, we know that you could have drove into any other hotel but you chose us. We appreciate your positive comments regarding the Rooms and the Front Desk Staff.

We have paid special attention to your details of the continental breakfast. Please rest assured that we have discussed your feedback with the relevant persons in an effort to improve the quality of the breakfast because this is not the approved standard.

We appreciate your support and do hope that you will stop by on your next visit to Negril.

Warm regards,
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
Foote Prints on the Sands Hotel
Rooms Ocho Rios
Rooms Ocho Rios
#14 of 35 in Ocho Rios
Fun Holiday Beach Resort

Been to SuperClubs Rooms on the Beach Negril? Share your experiences!