“A wonderful Time”

Kingston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A wonderful Time”
Reviewed June 1, 2009

I must give thanks to Fabian from Fabian tours, he made my fiance and myself had a wonderful time. He knows the history of jamaica and shared it with out hesistation. I saw Jamaica in a different way. The beautiful white beaches but thats for another time. Fabian took us to the country side where we saw all the native jamaican and we had coconut jelly on the road side from the airport. If you really want to see how beautiful Jamaica is choose fabian for your tour guide. He's having a summer special now but i had to leave, i can bet it's reasonable

1 Thank sammy210

Los Angeles, CA
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Beyond Our Expectations!”
Reviewed April 2, 2009

My friends and I (a group of 4 girls) visited Negril for the 2nd time 3/18/09 through 3/24/09. We met Fabian on our first trip last August and happened to keep his card for future use. Prior to this trip, we contacted Fabian and informed him of our upcoming trip and provided him with our itinerary and asked for his rates. After a little negotiating we were pleased with the quote provided & decided to book him for all of our transportation needs for the week. Our first night disaster hit. I would like to first of all say – Fabian arrived on time to pick us up for the club, approximately 12 midnight. I met him outside of the resort and we chatted for a bit while we waited for the other girls to finish getting dressed and come out. 45 minutes passed… at this point I went back inside to find out what the hold up was and that’s when I discovered that 1 of the girls had broken her foot on her way out of the room to meet us outside. Long story short…it took 2 hours for a doctor to be called to resort, advise us on the severity of her injury and direct us to the nearest hospital. Fabian waited the entire time. Then he took us to the nearest hospital which happened to be more than an hour away in Montego Bay. Mind you – it is now close to 3:30 a.m. Upon our arrival at the hospital we were informed that the foot specialist wouldn’t be in until 7 a.m. Again, Fabian waited with us at the hospital. The next several hours were spent waiting for doctors and waiting through a series of long drawn out procedures associated with our friends injury. Fabian waited with us through the entire 10 hour experience. He took us to the airport to arrange a flight home for our friend. Then he took us to get food & exchange U.S. currency into Jamaican dollars. He then took us back to the hospital to collect our friend once she was discharged, then around the city to find a pharmacy to fill her prescriptions and finally back to the airport to put her on the plane home. He also allowed us to us his personal cell phone to make and receive calls as we were in constant contact with our friends family & management at the resort, etc… At the end of that drama he returned is back to resort the following afternoon. All of this without a huff, sigh, or roll of the eyes. At this point additional compensation had not been discussed but when we addressed it with him asking what his fee would be, we again found him to be reasonable considering he had just given up his entire night & the better part of the following day helping us out with no sleep!
Once that little fiasco was over, we (the remaining 3 girls) finally got our vacation started. That evening we picked up where we left off as far as our itinerary and Fabian was an excellent driver. We didn’t book him for any tours but we did use him as our transportation to and from Ocho Rios to see Prospect Plantation and to Dolphin Cove. We also used him for our transportation to and from Alfreds, Rick’s Café, The Jungle, local shopping, and any and everywhere else we needed to go throughout the week. He was ALWAYS prompt and always safe. We felt very much at ease and taken care of in his presence.
Now, while it is true that Fabian can be a little moody, overall his professionalism, promptness and the fact that he was by our side through a mini-crisis in a strange country speaks louder than words to me. We will definitely call Fabian for our future transportation needs while in Negril.

4 Thank Kailanni
Raseborg, Finland
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“We miss Fabian”
Reviewed March 22, 2009

We are a family from Finland travelled to Jamaica in February 2009. I did some research on the net in advance and found that Negril will be our place to stay, at Samsara Hotel, but that is another story. I also studided places to go further and of course how. According to advices here on Tripadvisor we choosed Fabiantours, first only as our Airport-shuttle, but I made clear that we will discuss further tours on the island with him.
We arrived to the Airport and there he was as agreed. We got cellphones with some domestic mobile account so we could communicate with each other cheapily. Very clever of him, and it did not disturb us at all. And in the car we got cold beers and other refreshment at no extra cost. (Btw Fabians prices was one of the lowest we could fine on the Net from home)

And when arrived to the hotel we felt free to check in and contact him whenever we liked using the phone we got, no one even mentioned som other trips right now.

The nex day we called him to invite him to the lobby for discussing other trips over a map. We agreed of a trip to Kingston and the Bob Marley museum. It is not very far in distance, but remember this is not Europe or US, the roads are not that good, but interesting in many ways..

We started early in the morning and instead of the planned 4 hours trip to Kingston it took over 6 hour because of two(!) flat tires at once. It was not Fabians fault, there was some sharp rock on the edge of the road, but it takes some time to get it fixed in the middle of the bush (for us). No problem for friendly Jamaicans, a taxidriver helped us and Fabian took very good care of us. Well, we hiked together with Fabian to the nearest town, and believe it or not, we also liked that, even our two children. Because of the flat tires accident we of course came closer to him, he even told us about his 3 yer old boy who died for a year ago - very, very sad. On this same day he had much calls about his email-account troubles, it was of course a little disturbing, but most of all we felt sorry for him, so we did not let it disturb us. Rest of the Kingston trip went as planned, I can´t say if it was worth the long, long day, but we really wanted to see Kingston and something of the Reggae culture if you are I Jamaica.

After that we had another, much nicer trip to Black river and the YS falls. This one was really near, nice and refreshing. Maybe the most intetresting thing was our lunch that was included in the trip, I now many of our friends who would never even sit down there, but it was kind of experience, reallly local..

One evening we was lucky to see Fabian in Negril looking for a dinnerplace. He drived us, at no cost, to a good restaurant, and then back. Of course payed him, who wouldn´t?
On our last evening he contacted us for a small meeting. The only purpose was the give as gifts!!! We all got own gifts, I got a really good local rom, my wife got things to the kitchen, our 16 year old girl got a Jamaican coffemug and our 9 year old son got a mug for cold drinks. The thing here is also that he undersod that we needed to pack them in our suitcases.
And after that came the sad morning when we had to travel back home, and once again Fabian was there as agreed 5 A.M and drived us to the airport. Arriving to the airport Fabian took a picture of us all in the departure gateway.
These kind of personal service you can´t buy from a big company with big fancy airconditioned busses. Fabian had a Toyota Hiace in good and very clean condition, the aircondition was open windows model, it worked fine it is not that hot in Jamaica.

We really miss you Fabian!
Ronnie, Camilla, Jenni, Jonas.

5 Thank Ronnie C
Tampa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Fabian Tours”
Reviewed March 8, 2009

I am a liitle surprise to read the last review concerning Fabian Tours. Like many other travelers that has posted positive reviews for Fabian Woodbine that was not the level of professionalism that my group have received from Fabian Tours. My family have used his services for 5 years now, and have recommended many friends and family to Mr. Woodbine. Everyone have been very impressed with the professional services from Fabian. Like all of us who have had a bad day at the office, we would not want one bad day to be what our customers or boss judge us by forever. Perfection is unattainable everyday....

In reference to the email scam, I too received an email from Fabian email address requesting money to be wired to him stating he was stranded in Nigeria, so I immediately called Fabian to see why I received this request, and of course he was just as surprised to hear about this situation. He said that several months ago, someone in Negril stole his laptop and must have hijack his email account and sent out this bogus email to all of his guest/customers. Fabian is one the honest, reliable, and trustworthy businessmen you will ever come across. It is a sad story that someone would attempt to scam his guests and ruin his good reputation with a click of a button. This is a great lesson learned, never save User Id and passwords, just in case someone has bad intentions to ruin your reputation.

2 Thank tuncyna
Chicago, IL, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Utterly bewildered”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Seems that I'm the odd man out on Tripadvisor, but I'm utterly bewildered (and more than a bit suspicious) as to the level of positive reviews for Fabian Tours. I used Mr. Woodbine for an airport transfer to Negril during my honeymoon at the end of December, as well as for day trips to Rick's Cafe and to the Black River/Floyd's Pelican Bar. While I would not call my experience with Fabian terrible (he was on time and a fairly safe driver), Fabian Tours was our least favorite aspect of the entire honeymoon.

First, Fabian's van is not in great condition - at first I thought this might be a common feature of private transport outfits in Jamaica, but this is definitely not the case. Oh well - not a huge deal. The bigger problem was that Mr. Woodbine spent almost all of his time in the van hinting that he wanted financial help with the expansion of his business or pointedly telling us about all the happy customers and generous he has had (some of whom have graciously granted him funds towards his website, etc.) Throughout the trip, Mr. Woodbine refused to direct any conversation to my wife, to the point that on the trip back to the airport on our last day (after about 8 hours total in the van with him) he did not remember her name. One time, when a slight miscommunication caused me to wait inside at Rick's for a text message from Mr. Woodbine instead of waiting out front , he stormed up to us, knocked his keys on the table, and wordlessly walked away while we followed him to his van. Keep in mind, this incident occurred less than 5 minutes after the time I had asked for him to come in a text message, and I had never received any confirmation from Mr. Woodbine. On the way back from the Black River trip, Mr. Woodbine informed us that he had to get someone from the airport, and would have to drop us off in a small town where one of his 'associates' (translation: whoever he could reach on the phone and persuade to help him out for a fee) would take us the rest of the way. This fell through, though we still had to pull over outside Negril for a few minutes so Mr. Woodbine could pick up his girlfriend. I'm assuming this means that one of his 'associates' picked up his client from the airport.

Now, our experience wasn't a total disaster, so until now I refrained from writing any kind of negative review. Mr. Woodbine did let us use a cell phone for one night without charging us, and also gave us a couple of knicknacks as a gift on our last day. (It should be noted, however, that each of these gestures was followed by a torrent of 'That's how I do business - I take care of my customers, and they take care of me.') What put me over the top is that I just got a ridiculous scam email from Mr. Woodbine, which states that he is marooned in Lagos and needs $1,500.00 wired to him so that he can get back to Jamaica. No word on whether any of that money is going to a Nigerian prince whose assets are frozen; I'll keep you posted.

So, to recap:

Pros: On time; fairly safe driver; let us use cell phone.

Cons: Moody/rude; unprofessional; 40% of all conversation involves scarcely veiled requests for money; attempted to scam hundreds of dollars off me in an email.

Finally, I just want to point out that I understand that people in the tourist industry - especially in a relatively poor country like Jamaica - are trying to make a living. There were plenty of sales people that we met on our week there, but none of them were manipulative nor rude as Mr. Woodbine proved to be - even though we were already paying him close to $300 for his services. We absolutely loved the rest of our experience in Jamaica, and would love to go again - but we will not be using Mr. Woodbine's services.

If anyone would like an alternate referral, I would suggest Gary Miller, who operated outside of Sunset at the Palms when we were there. He was our driver on New Year's Eve and it was a great experience. Unfortunately, I lost the cell phone that had Mr. Miller's number, but if you call SATP I'm sure they can get you in touch with him (or, if you're staying at SATP, Hunter is the resident driver in the resort lot who was also a pleasure to work with.)

15 Thank Blue97