“Utterly bewildered”

Chicago, IL, USA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Utterly bewildered”
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Seems that I'm the odd man out on Tripadvisor, but I'm utterly bewildered (and more than a bit suspicious) as to the level of positive reviews for Fabian Tours. I used Mr. Woodbine for an airport transfer to Negril during my honeymoon at the end of December, as well as for day trips to Rick's Cafe and to the Black River/Floyd's Pelican Bar. While I would not call my experience with Fabian terrible (he was on time and a fairly safe driver), Fabian Tours was our least favorite aspect of the entire honeymoon.

First, Fabian's van is not in great condition - at first I thought this might be a common feature of private transport outfits in Jamaica, but this is definitely not the case. Oh well - not a huge deal. The bigger problem was that Mr. Woodbine spent almost all of his time in the van hinting that he wanted financial help with the expansion of his business or pointedly telling us about all the happy customers and generous he has had (some of whom have graciously granted him funds towards his website, etc.) Throughout the trip, Mr. Woodbine refused to direct any conversation to my wife, to the point that on the trip back to the airport on our last day (after about 8 hours total in the van with him) he did not remember her name. One time, when a slight miscommunication caused me to wait inside at Rick's for a text message from Mr. Woodbine instead of waiting out front , he stormed up to us, knocked his keys on the table, and wordlessly walked away while we followed him to his van. Keep in mind, this incident occurred less than 5 minutes after the time I had asked for him to come in a text message, and I had never received any confirmation from Mr. Woodbine. On the way back from the Black River trip, Mr. Woodbine informed us that he had to get someone from the airport, and would have to drop us off in a small town where one of his 'associates' (translation: whoever he could reach on the phone and persuade to help him out for a fee) would take us the rest of the way. This fell through, though we still had to pull over outside Negril for a few minutes so Mr. Woodbine could pick up his girlfriend. I'm assuming this means that one of his 'associates' picked up his client from the airport.

Now, our experience wasn't a total disaster, so until now I refrained from writing any kind of negative review. Mr. Woodbine did let us use a cell phone for one night without charging us, and also gave us a couple of knicknacks as a gift on our last day. (It should be noted, however, that each of these gestures was followed by a torrent of 'That's how I do business - I take care of my customers, and they take care of me.') What put me over the top is that I just got a ridiculous scam email from Mr. Woodbine, which states that he is marooned in Lagos and needs $1,500.00 wired to him so that he can get back to Jamaica. No word on whether any of that money is going to a Nigerian prince whose assets are frozen; I'll keep you posted.

So, to recap:

Pros: On time; fairly safe driver; let us use cell phone.

Cons: Moody/rude; unprofessional; 40% of all conversation involves scarcely veiled requests for money; attempted to scam hundreds of dollars off me in an email.

Finally, I just want to point out that I understand that people in the tourist industry - especially in a relatively poor country like Jamaica - are trying to make a living. There were plenty of sales people that we met on our week there, but none of them were manipulative nor rude as Mr. Woodbine proved to be - even though we were already paying him close to $300 for his services. We absolutely loved the rest of our experience in Jamaica, and would love to go again - but we will not be using Mr. Woodbine's services.

If anyone would like an alternate referral, I would suggest Gary Miller, who operated outside of Sunset at the Palms when we were there. He was our driver on New Year's Eve and it was a great experience. Unfortunately, I lost the cell phone that had Mr. Miller's number, but if you call SATP I'm sure they can get you in touch with him (or, if you're staying at SATP, Hunter is the resident driver in the resort lot who was also a pleasure to work with.)

15 Thank Blue97

NYC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fabian Tours - The first and only person to meet up with in Jamaica”
Reviewed February 5, 2009

I have been traveling to Negril for many years, and most recently by strong word of mouth I chose Fabian Tours to provide my family transfer, tour and taxi service, as he was rated the #1 attraction in Negril on this very board, TripAdvisor.com

After having spent 10 days with the man and his team, I highly recommend Fabian without hesitation - he runs the BEST tour & taxi service in all of Jamaica. Fabian provided round trip transport for me and my family to and from MoBay, and most days brought us to and from the local scene highlights (3 Dives, Jenny's, Sweet Spice, HiLo, etc), changing vehicles as needed to take our various groups from 4 to 12 people, usually with about 15 minutes notice on a cell phone he provided me with for that very purpose.

Fabian is very reasonable in his pricing, knowledgeable about all local and national attractions (the man knows everyone and everyplace better than any local I've met), and most importantl he is a man of integrity and dedication who you can trust to get you to and from wherever you go on the island.

I highly recommend Fabian Woodbine and his Tour service, and I will definitely use him again when I return to Negril next year.

Peace & respect.

G the Jamerican

3 Thank GtheJamerican
philly
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabian Rocks”
Reviewed January 15, 2009

We went to Negril In November 2008 & by luck bumped into Fabian. We used his services the rest of the week. He was amazing. Very professional & felt very safe with him. He was great for tips on how to save money with renting a cell phone & can do any tour you want. He is very down to earth, funny, & professional at the same time & made our experience to Negril unforgettable. We loved Negril so much going back November 2009 & Fabian is our man for transportation, tours, etc. We love you Fabian see you in "09".

Maria & John
Philly

hammond, indiana
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“My trip to Negril, Jamaica”
Reviewed January 7, 2009

My family and I have been traveling to Negril, Jamaica for the last five years and within the last year we went over 6 times. There was always a group of at least 6-8 people and we utilized Fabion Tours each time. Because we are familiar with some places in Jamaica, Fabion tours took us to places we never imagined existed. Each trip was a wonderful experience. We typically stayed from 7-15 days and we utilized Fabion tours during the day and at night. I would strongly advise anyone traveling to Jamaica to utilize Fabion Tours because he will make your trip to Jamaica one you will never forget.
Ms. Lark and Family

1 Thank phylme
Ligonier, PA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Negril transportation and Fabian Tours”
Reviewed January 5, 2009

Do not hesitate to use Fabian Tours for transportation from the airport to Negril and for sightseeing. He is extremely friendly and reliable. His prices are very reasonable. Prior to arriving, negotiate your price for all your sightseeing needs. He will package your transporation together and give you a fair price.

All the vehicles he used were very nice and comfortable.

He is very knowledgeable about the country and will make sure you have a great trip. When I return, I will definitely use him again. Cindy S.