“We Got Robbed Here!!!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Chicago
“We Got Robbed Here!!!”
Reviewed August 26, 2009

Ok after 8 attempts to post my complete review I'm being told I can't use profanity...which Im not so for ALL the unedited details check out my blog at: -----[-]--- In February I felt that I needed to do something big for my big 3-0 which is August 25th (Virgo's in the house!). I shopped around and found Judy House in the West End of Negril Jamaica . Judy House, run by Sue McKenzie, appeared to be a slice of paradise at a reasonable price. The pictures of our "private cottage" were breathtaking to say the least. I read review after review of all the good things about this place and was totally excited to go. I mean I checked this place out on Tripadvisor, Negril.com, International Bed & Breakfast Association and others. All signs pointed to this being a great trip. Boy was I wrong!!!

Fact 1. We checked in on a Wednesday (August 12) at this time there was another couple in the other cottage (there are 2 cottages on the property not counting the one Sue herself live in).

Fact 2. On Saturday the other couple checked out of their cottage. Also Sue asked us what are evening plans were & invited us to go out with her & we accepted.

Fact 5. Me and my husband awoke and got out of bed at about 8:30 am Sunday morning. My husband discovered that my purse and backpack were sitting on the front veranda (Huh?!) Further looking turned up that we were missing all of our electronics as well as cash ($100 US).

Fact 6. There were no signs of forced entry on the door.

Fact 7. I immediately went to Sue's cottage (about 10 yards from ours) and let her know that we were robbed. She asked me if I wanted her to call the police (um YES!).

Fact 8. The windows are secured by sliding locks at the top and bottom of each window on
the inside. There is a single nail in front of each widow to secure them from the outside.

Fact 9. While waiting for the police we took a closer look at the window (if you look at the
pics she has posted you can see them). Our window was UNLOCKED FROM THE INSIDE!

Fact 10. Only ONE window was unlocked from the inside, it is the SAME window that had the
nail removed from the outside and that the culprits used to gain entry.

Fact 11. The gate around the property is secured by a chain with a lock that doesn't lock!
Sue assured us that it was fine and that this area was very safe. If you look at all her
postings she is ALWAYs stressing on how safe and secure her property is.

Fact 12. Officer Richards of the NPD Arrived at 9 am and took statements from the 3 of us.
After taking our statements and examining the window the officer stated that the security
was "not up to standard", Ms. McKenzie "should know better" that she was not licensed to run
a lodging establishment At the time I was still in shock over knowing that a stranger was in
the same room as us as we slept!

Fact 17. Monday morning me & my husband went to the Negril Police Station. We were given
the expected run around but We were eventually waited on and met with Officer Martin. We
began to tell him of the information we came across doing our own police work. He stopped
us short and told us he was questioning Sue that evening at 5pm at her Internet cafe. He
then told us we can meet him there to get things "straightened out".

Fact 18. We returned to "Easy Rock Cafe", also owned by Sue at 4:45pm. As we were due to
meet with Officer Martin as he questioned Sue about the burglary. When we go there Sue
gave me $180 then things got ugly (check blog)

Now I ask that you draw your own conclusion as to this situation. Disgruntled travelers or shady proprietor. All in all in it was a poor policing effort by all with the exception of Officer Richards.
While I'm certain the faces that broke into our room were brown, I know that people that do this are in the minority here. By far the citizens of Negril and Jamaica as a whole are good, spiritual,
peaceful, & hardworking.

For the last half of our stay we were pretty close to penniless. The new hotel was $40 more than what we had so no tours, horse backing, or even a fresh seafood dinner :( . But it was by far the BEST 3 days I've had this year! We were given a choice to let this bad apple spoil the rest of our stay or make the most of it. The people were so so so good to us I cried! These people are POOR yet they shared what they had with us. I even got a free Glass Bottom Boat ride from Clarance (look for him yall LOL)! I can't wait to go back! While the Judy House was an expensive lesson it was one well learned and certainly worth it... 1. You don't need money to appreciate the good things in life and 2. STAY AWAY FROM SUE MCKINZIE, JUDY HOUSE, and the EASY ROCK INTERNET CAFE. God bless anyone fool enough to still go! Hi I'm Marissa & I'm a Jamaica-holic...

10 Thank marissa_n_chicago
Judyhousesue, Owner at Judy House Cottages and Rooms, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
How far the place has come since those years. I hope you will come back one day and feel the difference. One Love

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (93)
Toronto
Reviewed August 20, 2009

I loved the stay ... wish I had more than 3 nights, but my friend and I moved on as we were adventuresome travelers. This is a place you can stay a few nights or a few weeks. If Sue is not available, as she spends time at her Cafe down the road, her son Simon will help you. And the two dogs on the property are friendly and keep an eye on you too.

The cottages have everything you need, while experiencing a real Jamaican time. Hard to find a blender, a coffee maker, a tv, fridge and stove all in one place for this amazing rental fee .. keep up the good work Sue !!

The garden is astonishing ... It would take more than 3 days to discover all the flora and fauna. I have some amazing pics that I have blown up for framing.

I'll be back. Please enjoy your coffee in the cottage, or walk down the road and sit with Sue in the cool morning on the patio and enjoy breakfast and coffee.

Cheers

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Sue M, Owner at Judy House Cottages and Rooms, responded to this review, August 29, 2014
Thanks so much for this review so long ago. Sorry I did not reply sooner. I had not got much experience of Trip Advisor in the early days and did not know that I could respond to you. Thought I should do that now, so thanks for taking the time to write your lovely review and hope to see you back again here one day. One Love !
Snowville Va.
Reviewed August 18, 2009

Wow we found it!! We stayed in the "Kim" house and really really loved it!! Everything we expected and much more!! Sue is warm and full of knowledge. She has more than 20 years in Negril. Wow the inside tract really helped us!! The "Kim" house has all one will need! We were not looking for the stuffy all inclusive resort but opted for a "real" Jamician experence!! If you want the same look no further!! Thank you Sue!!! We will see you again ...soon!!! Jeff and Heather :)

Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed August 15, 2009

This little guesthouse is tucked away in owner Sue McKenzie's own gorgeous, lush Jamaican garden. It's very conveniently located in Negril's West End, about a ten minute taxi ride to where ever we wanted to go, but safely hidden from the main road. There is plenty of room for two people and it includes a full kitchen, bathroom, a cute back patio and front porch. Plus, it comes with cable for any downtime you may have. At night, the only sounds we could hear were insects chirping. It was like we had our little paradise! And SO reasonably priced.

Walking from the guesthouse to the main road (about a 5 min walk), you come across neighborhood goats and chickens along with lush trees and wild flowers. The neighbors are all very nice and said hello whenever we passed and we were often tagged along by her two dogs.

Sue is a lovely woman and so helpful and accommodating, from restaurant suggestions to getting us taxis to recommending non-touristy attractions. We even got discounted tickets to a reggae concert! Plus, Sue's internet cafe is right down the street so we had access to internet the whole time and delicious homemade breakfasts before our day out.

If it is a truly Jamaican vacation you're looking for and not just an all inclusive resort, this is the place to go!!

2 Thank magella929
calgary,canada
Reviewed March 17, 2009

WOW!! what a wicked find.Im a single chick travelling alone looking for sare but authentic plces to stay.The Judy house couldnt be better.Its a small oasis tucked away in the actual real part of Negril.The Cottage is very sweet and comfy with anything you would need to stay there.This is not a five star thank god , and you can hear the sounds and see the sights of living with fellow Jamaicans.Got to see great wildlife this trip ,from the hummingbirds in the gardens ,stingrays in the sea and a tiny frog that hopped through my shower the last day!!lolThis is the tropics there are bugs and things and do do bring bug spray!!.Its a short walk in the morning through the village to the convenience of the internet and damn good coffee.Gets a bit chilly at night so ask for a blanket.The owners will go above and beyond to ensure a memorable holiday.Without a doubt best holiday even for a single female traveller

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank britchic
Just realized the response I made to you all those years ago was rejected, not sure why. But thought I should say thank you for your wonderful review and hope I get to spend time with you again one day. One Love!