“Loved the staff...”
Review of Negril Palms Hotel

Negril Palms Hotel
Ranked #42 of 80 Hotels in Negril
Reviewed May 9, 2011

This was my first trip to Jamaica and I was very excited. I won this trip last year for my mother for Mother's Day. The two of us, including my father, arrived the end of April.

Honestly, it wasn't what i expected when I first arrived.
The room & bathroom was very basic, but the atmosphere was great. I liked the wooden windows & doors to the balcony. If you are into the modern fancy type of rooms, then you wouldn't like it. I loved it because it seemed like you were apart of nature. Almost bringing the outside into your room. We did have some ants in the shower that bothered me a little, but it was okay. Only one complaint, we did not have any hot water. I took a shower in cool water everyday. Our room was close to the front, but the traffic didnt bother us at all. The only thing I could hear were the whistling toads and the sound of nature every night. I would have liked the room to be just a little more modern or renovated.

The staff made it an excellent stay for me. They really took care of us. Especially Ramsey, he made sure vendors didn't bother us and always checked to make sure we were okay. I especially liked Captian Junior w/ the glass bottom boat. If you go, you'll understand why...The food was good, but they didn't have many selections. The atmosphere was very relaxing. The pool was closed during our entire 5 day stay, but I enjoyed the beach. Our cab driver, Chicken, was great too. He was very helpful regarding the area and took us where ever we wanted to go. We didn't have to wait no more than 5 mins of his arrival.

I would go there again because of the staff and relaxed atmosphere. I would only have changed the room (a little more modern & few more amenities). They really made my first trip to Jamaica a great one. I have fallen in love with Jamaica and will go back again.

Room Tip: Request a renovated room
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Kinyha

Reviewed May 2, 2011

We stopped in at the Palms because there was live music playing on the beach. We took in a drink and decided on our FIRST night in Jamaica to stay for dinner. We were sat at a lovely table for two poolside, music playing, breeze blowing from the ocean, how bad could it be, right? We were forgotten about and because it was our first night on the island we had no guage how bad the service was. It took a bit for our 2 red stripe's to arrive and even longer for an appetizer to show up 45 MINUTES TO BE EXACT! We were going to leave but were unsure if this was typical when dining in Jamaica. IT'S NOT!!! We waited another 45 minutes for our dinner. We immediately got up after dinner and headed to pay our bill. Fearful at how long it would take for our waitier to bring our bill. We were again taken back by the gradutity that was already in place on our bill. No other resturant during our stay included the tip, so BEWARE. I do realize that we could just be that once in a while bad review but I would never go back to Palms again ESPECIALLY since the local cusine is SO MUCH BETTER this comercial spot.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MsJitterbug
kristly, Manager at Negril Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2011

We are in receipt of your review regarding your dining experience at our restaurant. Please accept our sincere apologies for any inconvenience you felt you encountered. You are correct that 45 minutes is too long to wait for your orders. Our event nights are always high volume. Being in the hospitality industry, we are accustomed to catering to such size groups and plan to the very best of our ability to make sure everyone is 100% accommodated. Our restaurant staff is on a 15 minute max time system for all orders. Unfortunately, not always things go as we prefer but I locate the server and correct any flaw in our system. It is always unfortunate when the actions of a few cause an issue to others and we apologize for any inconvenience. As far as gratuity being added into your bill; this is standard law. All businesses in Jamaica must have G.C.T. (Tax) included into their bills. As I am sure you can understand, this is certainly not an issue that we could prevent as much as we would like to. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and I regret that your experience did not reflect our dedication to service.

Thank You!!

Reviewed April 22, 2011

My husband and I went for his bday. They lost our reservation, so check-in was a bit slow. We end up being put in a room right up the front, which there was a lot of noise from the street at night. We had major prinland with our toilet! It was awful, had to be plunged 3G while we were there. The beach made up for all that though, just steps away from serenity. The staff was great, very friendly and upbeat. We ate at many places around Negril, one called 3dive center, which had amazing grilled lobster. Overall, great trip. We probably wouldn't stay here again, the location was nor enough to make up for all the room issues.

• Stayed: April 2011

We are in receipt of your posting and would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you felt you encountered during your recent stay. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and we sincerely regret that we did not exceed your every expectation. I sincerely regret your experience with any check in difficulties. Please be assured that your comments will be reviewed with the appropriate staff and corrective action taken as part of our ongoing training sessions. . I assure you that we will utilize any comments received to identify the areas in which we can improve.

We, like every lodging establishment, very occasionally experience an issue that is simply not predictable and not within our control even with the most careful planning. As would be the situation in your own home, we had the challenge of a sudden plumbing issue on the date of your stay. Of course, this was not an issue we could have foreseen and was due to no fault nor negligence. Our contracted plumber resolve this emergency and has advised us that the unfortunate issue was caused by several items including wash clothes, diapers, toys and other items being improperly flushed by a hotel guest which, of course, caused a back up. As I am sure you can understand, this is certainly not an issue that we could have prevented as much as we would have liked to do so.
Thank you for patronizing out resort and hope to make the next stay in Negril an exceptional one!

Reviewed April 14, 2011

My sister arranged for my family and I to spend some time at the Palms Resorts. When we arrived we were told that we had to be transferred to another hotel because they did not have another room.
We agree to go to the other hotel especting it to be like the palms to our dismay, it was awful. At the Palms we were on the first floor never saw an ants. At the Old something hotel we were on the second floor, there were ants every where. The bathroom was unfit for human use.
Whlen we complained to the manager, we were told that they thought we were the "locals". Well, if this is the way a hotel treats their locals, they should be out of business. As a professional, I do not care if the person is a local or tourists. We need to treat people right. I do realized the goals of any business is to make money but at what costs.
My sister and I did speak with Ann-Marie, such a sweet heart who was very understanding and told us we should have returned to the hotel. We did not know we had that option.
I hope they will take this into consideration the next time I visit their hotel.
Yes, I like the Palms, the staff was wonderful but management needs to do better.
Please people do not go to the Old Thyme Hotel, I believe that is the name, It is terrible.
Canada

Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review regarding your visit to The Palms Resort. Please be assured that your comments have been reviewed with the appropriate staff and our apologies for the bad communication. I regret any inconvenience you felt that you may have encountered and hope that on your next visit to Negril Jamaica that your every expectation is exceeded.

Reviewed April 2, 2011

Great service at the front desk and a good looking property right on the 7 mile beach. However the rooms are awful and definitely need to be renovated. the door is a glass door with a curtain that barely covers the door. I felt very uncomfortable there and ended up checking out early, I just felt like people could see into my very small room. No hot water or hair dryer even thought they say they have both. When they bring you an iron, they don't even take along an ironing board with it. Food at the restaurant is ok. the swimming pool was closed while I was there.

Stayed: March 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank tsimJamaica
kristly, Manager at Negril Palms Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2011

First, I would like to take this opportunity to apologize for any inconvenience you encountered during your recent stay. Guest satisfaction is our utmost concern and we sincerely regret that we did not exceed your every expectation. You are correct that our staff is well accommodating because top quality service is what we strive for.

As to your room situation, we have Standard Rooms and Deluxe Rooms. All our Deluxe rooms are renovated and fully equipped with iron, ironing boards, hair dryer, and toiletries. Verses our Standard Rooms does not have all of the same amenities. That is why our Standard rooms are much lower in price. Also this is explained on our company website. Our pool is always open for our valued guest but unfortunately the pool may have been closed on that specific date & time due to a 30 minute pool treatment. Thank you for patronizing our Hotel & Restaurant we appreciate all feedback and will consider you comments for further improvements.

Reviewed March 29, 2011

Great Friendly Staff.
Great Hotel, Perfect location :)

• Stayed: March 2011
Reviewed March 11, 2011

We went to Negril for our first family vacation. Negril is wonderful. My only other experience with Jamaica was Ocho Rios, several yars ago, and this was completely different. Negri is just perfect - perfect beach, great range of restaurants and hotels, and great weather. Everyone from the cab drivers to the wait staffs to the beach vendors were all SO friendly and helpful.

The Palms was the perfect place for us to stay, it's a great location, moderate prices, free wifi, convenient and so friendly. I apologize in advance for the lengthy review, however, if you are considering booking The Palms, I am outlining my experience here to help you make an educated decision.

When we booked The Palms, I read every review of the top hotels for Negril on Trip Advisor. The Palms looked nice, and sounded good, but then again, you never really know how it's going to be until you get there. My husband and I travelled with our 5 year old and 1 year old, so we would pretty much be stuck with whatever we reserved. I went ahead and booked The Palms, and hoped for the best. I did make sure that I booked the Deluxe King Ocean View room, per many of the reviews I read. (And I made sure I had that in writing).

Upon arriving at the hotel, we were asked to pay for the balance of our stay, prior to even seeing the room. I insisted that I see the room before we paid, and they abliged. However, the room they were putting us in was not Deluxe and was not Ocean View. I am not sure how they can sell that room for $200+ (incl taxes) per night. It was worse than fair. I was not happy about this and made sure they knew that I knew the difference between the renovated (Deluxe) rooms and non-renovated rooms. They said they would see what they could do to move us, but that they were completely booked. So, we went to the room, went for dinner, etc. When we got back to the room, there was a note from the manager acknowledging and apologizing for the error and that they would like to move us asap in the morning. They also adjusted the price for our inconvenience, which was very much appreciated.

They were very nice, and the room they moved us to was lovely. Modern touches, but basic, nice wood accents, bathroom was nice and clean and modern. The rooms just have a bed, nightstand dresser/closet, tv, balcony, with a full bath with a nice large countertop and a vessel sink . Again, this is a renovated room on the NORTH side. We got a fridge for $10/day. Would have been nice to at least have a coffee maker in the room, so we didn't have to rush out at 7am when the kids woke up. So, that is the room situation. Bottom line, make sure you book a renovated room, and make sure you have it in writing.

Outside of the room, the restaurant, pool and beach areas were all fabulous. A couple little things - the pool was closed at least an hour or two everyday for cleaning. It was also closed for two full days for some reason. It is really nice to have the pool with the small children, to give them a change of scenery. The beach was perfect. The sand was so soft, and the water so clear. The kids loved it and were able to go in the water because it was so calm. There were some vendors, but nothing too obnoxious. The Palms does bring in visitors on some, if not most days, to allow them to use the beach, from around 12:30 - 3:30 or so. As long as you have your chairs, and know that this happens, it's really no big deal.

The restaurant was very good. We had several meals there. We did the Meal Plan for a few meals, which saved us a few dollars. Just make sure to take a look at the Meal Plan menu before purchasing it. You can pay for it by meal, you aren't locked into it by day or your entire stay. We didn't have a bad meal there. Service was good, and of course it was convenient. We also really enjoyed the Jazz night on Sunday.

Thank you Mr. Nelson, Ann Marie and Ramsey - you guys really made our first family vacation one we will never forget. All the staff was super friendly. We felt like we were leaving our friends by the end of our trip. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family