Moon Dance Cliffs
The Cliff Hotel(Negril)
The Caves(Negril)
  • Pool
View Hotel
All reviewspool barwedding guestsbeautiful resortsea lifecliffsvacationladder
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 2, 2010

We just had our wedding at Moon Dance Cliffs a few weeks ago and had an awesome experience. Lets start from the top.

Location: set on top of a cliff with a panonramic view of the carribean sea. Sunsets are spectacular. The grounds for the resort are private and well maintained. They are constantly improving the property. Just recently they extended the cliff section which now allows people to be to sun bathe on a deck. I personally felt that it was a private and intimate location. A major concern for us was having small children at the wedding due to the cliffside location. However, the kids truly enjoyed themselves swimming in the shallow end of the pool, and running around the property playing games. I believe it's not an issue as long as the kids are supervised.

Service: As we pulled up to the hotel each and every guest was welcomed personally by a group of staff and was provided a welcome refreshment upon arrival. The motto of making you feel ilke we are "family" resonated through the entire stay. The staff bent over backwards to accommodate our guests and make sure that each and every person enjoyed themselves. Some specific credit goes to Richard the concierge who treated us with such love and respect. Kerry our wedding coordinator was extremely patient and did an spectacular job given the intrahour changes in weather. We have had many compliments regarding the friendly nature and prompt service of the staff. I (bride) stayed in the 4 Br villa with my family. Our butler Kerry Parson became a part of our family. She was so sweet, gentle and took such great care of us. My husband stayed in the 5 Br villa with his family and their butler Kenroy was just as nice and looked after everyone's need. As for event staff ( Ryan and Linus) did an excellent job managing the wedding events. Despite the fluctuations in weather that day they went above and beyond our expectations to give a great wedding and reception without any hesitation.

Food: Since 50% of our guest were vegetarians MDC prepared meals that were appetizing to every palate. We had made some special requests for the menu in advance and Linus did an excellent job gathering local, fresh, organic produce such as avocado, passion fruit, mango, neesberry, and others. In addition the meats were also local and fresh. They made a conscious effort to support local farmers and vendors.

The one thing I would recommend for the future is to increase their vegetarian options on the regular dining menu.

Accommodation
The rooms are exactly as seen in the pictures, but even better in person. Cleanliness is not an issue. To be fair, we went during the rainy season and mosquitos are inevitable everywhere on the island. The pools are awesome, the jacuzzis were a nice touch as well.

Activities:
Spa, Pool, Jacuzzi, Cliff diving, snorkelling. All were great. Just to mention 7 mile beach is a 10-15 minute ride away. The one thing that would make the all inclusive package even better (in my opinion) would be if a complimentary shuttle were available to and from the beach.

Overall:
Luxurious, private, wedding venue with superb service in every aspect.

If you are looking for a nice getaway from your typical all inclusive resort, this should be at the top of you destination list.

• Stayed: May 2010
2  Thank willoughby175
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I attended this resort for a friend's Wedding. My husband and I came back relaxed, but dissapointed. As soon as we reached the resort, we were welcomed with drinks, but they should at least wait for me to get out of the van. We were taken to our rooms, which was very nice. We decided to walk around, but we were surprised to find that there was only 1 restaurant. This resort basically caters to weddings and the wedding party. They kind of forgot about the guest. My husband and I would be at the pool area and only the manager offered us a drink half an hour after we were already sitting there. In other resorts we would be offered a drink seconds after relaxing by the pool. When we were at the bar where the pool table were, it tool about half an hour to be asked if we wanted a drink. Even when we asked for a drink, the bartenders had no idea where the alcohol was. They were very unorganized.....the bartender even said that under her breath......horrible service. Remember we are at an all inclusive resort where drinking is the primary activity.

When we asked to play the Wii, they were excited and offered us the games and tried to set up the TV, but then it wouldn't work.

The resort said they offered room service, but then when we asked for it, they said they could not offer it anymore, but we are welcome to go to the ONE restaurant. OH my!!!!!

Saw bugs in the room! We came back with several bugs bites. I had bug spray too, which did not help it seemed.

also for the wedding, they should have set up the wedding activities for rain and shine. they only did one or the other. so when it rained, they would start setting up under the tent, but then that would delay the activities. i understand that rain happens in the carribbean but you should be prepared for it. you should offer umbrellas to your guests. you should offer drinks right away when it rains. you should not be standing around talking to each other but offering assistance to your guests. I would suggest bug spray in your rooms to prevent bugs. other resort companies are so much better then this one. food was not good at all and when we asked for one thing we got another. we asked for surf and turf and got shrimp only. i asked for chicken fajitas and i got it without the tortillas, i asked for nachos and got dorritos. if they didn't understand they should not offer it. one of the girls we stayed with said the massage felt like paper hands.

fitness center: horrible, outdoors, no fan, not a good idea if you want to work out, sweated like a pig

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
4  Thank rub1996
Reviewed May 19, 2010

Moon Dance Cliffs is a very beautiful property. I originally planned to get married there this past weekend but cancelled the wedding. We decided to still take the trip since one of our friends was celebrating a birthday. The property is very beautiful and has all the potential for a small group to have a great vacation there. We enjoyed our stay there and the staff did what they could to make sure we were pleased. Richard was very helpful with any request we had during our stay. The property is still new so I don't think many people know about it but I think it's a very nice intimate property.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank misstiewill
Reviewed May 15, 2010

We had the extreme pleasure of staying here for our best friends wedding at the end of April. And I'll just throw this right out there: your first experience at a resort is interacting with the staff, and these people have got it right! We were greeted, after a long journey from Mo-Bay by Mini-bus, with Rum Punches and a much needed bathroom, ;) Richard was sitting at the front desk and we instantly recognized his infectious smile from other Trip Advisor reviewers' photos. (And let me also say, Richard is the MAN at Moon Dance Cliffs, wearing more "hats" than I could ever imagine wearing myself.) Richard introduced us to Kenroy, our personal butler who bore a striking resemblance to T.I., with "mirrored aviators" on his face. He took our bags and escorted us to the 5 bedroom Midnight Cove Villa. Upon entering the villa it felt like we were walking into an episode of MTV Cribs. Beautiful furniture and finishes, with luxury appointments abound. A fully stocked bar sat in all it's opulence overlooking the centerpiece of the great room, a 9-foot pool table.

Within the first half hour of walking the grounds we were addressed by name by at least 6 or 7 staff, who we had not even met. I have to say this was a first, being at a resort which goes to such great lengths of preparation for their guests. Everything around us, from the open-air bar areas to the network of swimming pools to the superbly landscaped grounds, glistened under a sky of deepest azure. There were literally dozens of different flowers, and trees with unusual looking fruit hanging from their branches. We stayed there under the all-inclusive plan which I highly recommend springing for at Moon Dance. This way, the only items you ever need to carry with you are a room key and a drink, which were pretty much my only possessions during most of the stay.

The only thing that could match the ambiance and comforts of the resort, was the amazing food. Out every gastronomic experience I've had, this was the most drastically different and unique. Standard breakfast fare were accompanied by new and interesting dishes like Callaloo (a spinach-like green), Ackee and Saltfish (the national dish of Jamaica), and these interesting little pastries called Johnny Cakes. And if you are a meat connoisseur, the various forms were all represented in delicious preparations: Jerk Chicken and Pork, Curried Goat, and incredibly fresh seafood. For our "veggie" and "veggie/meat-eater" friends, the Rasta Pasta was an outstanding vegetarian option as well.

When it came time for Wedding activities, Moon Dance did not disappoint. It felt truly special for everyone that was in attendance. Intimate and romantic with too many smiles around to count. Almost every member of the resort team seemed to be involved in the various aspects of the wedding, and all did so with the sweetest of demeanor's.

Our time in this place was truly special to the point that it was very difficult to leave and I have every intention of going back one day.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tokeoner
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I got married at MDC on April 17th. I picked this place blindly after my correspondence with Randy, one of the proprietors. There were several other resorts that I looked at initially (including rose hall and rock house), but MDC seemed to have that non-corporate feel that I was looking for and my communications with Randy sold me.

We spent 5 days at MDC and overall, it was amazing. Our guests were all very pleased with the resort choice and I would say everyone had a fantastic time. I am a frequent traveler (last year, I spent 160 nights in various hotels for business), so when I say the service here was impeccable, that is a high standard to meet. Everyone from the butlers to the concierge to the bar and main dining room staff were all great. Our wedding party stayed in the 5 bedroom villa. Kenroy our butler, was the man! He didn't miss a beat and was great. Its' the perfect location for a large group to all be together, without the worries of vendors or random outside rif-raffs! If I were just rating MDC on my vacation, I would have given it 5 stars, but since I had my wedding here too, I must be honest about a few things.

If I didnt have 5 days of celebrating with my family and friends, I would have been disappointed about my actual wedding day. For starters, I had my hair done and it didn't come out the way I had wanted-yuck. That aside, the revernd had an older version of our vows- yup, we didnt say the correct vows and my sister almost didnt do her reading as we had planned because he didnt have the right version of the vows. I wasnt even mad about this (although I would of had good reason to be).

However, the biggest regret that I had was that I wish we would have waited 30 minutes to see if the rain (more like sprinkles) would stop before moving everything inside to the lobby (it did stop right after everything was moved indoors). In MDC's defense, the previous night, during the rehersal dinner, we waited an hour and it didnt stop raining, so I could understand why they wanted to move everything indoors quickly. My recommendation to MDC would be to get a retractable tent/awning down by the restaurant so it can be used as a sun shade or a rain fly for situations such as our wedding day.

Once our wedding was moved away from the cliffs and into the lobby, where there was zero breeze, the evening went down hill. With 37 guests, plus MDC staff and a reggae band, all crammed into the lobby with lots of pretty candles, it was HOT! We rushed all of the traditional wedding stuff along (speeches, first dance,etc) so we could get out of the sweltering lobby. It was not comfortable nor plesant, I would not recommend wearing a wedding dress or suits (or clothes for that matter) in those conditions! Seeing the sweat dripping on everyone's foreheads, after we cut the cake, we suggested that everyone get out of the lobby and head towards the pool where it was 20 degrees cooler. We left the band in the lobby to continue their nice music with no one to enjoy them. So sad. Our wedding ended, just like that. It was a whirwind wedding day filled with anticipation and deflated by sweat.

• Stayed: April 2010