“Exquisite resort with wonderful staff, in one of natures finest settings.”
Review of Moon Dance Cliffs

Moon Dance Cliffs
Ranked #48 of 81 Hotels in Negril
Houston
“Exquisite resort with wonderful staff, in one of natures finest settings.”
Reviewed May 15, 2010

We had the extreme pleasure of staying here for our best friends wedding at the end of April. And I'll just throw this right out there: your first experience at a resort is interacting with the staff, and these people have got it right! We were greeted, after a long journey from Mo-Bay by Mini-bus, with Rum Punches and a much needed bathroom, ;) Richard was sitting at the front desk and we instantly recognized his infectious smile from other Trip Advisor reviewers' photos. (And let me also say, Richard is the MAN at Moon Dance Cliffs, wearing more "hats" than I could ever imagine wearing myself.) Richard introduced us to Kenroy, our personal butler who bore a striking resemblance to T.I., with "mirrored aviators" on his face. He took our bags and escorted us to the 5 bedroom Midnight Cove Villa. Upon entering the villa it felt like we were walking into an episode of MTV Cribs. Beautiful furniture and finishes, with luxury appointments abound. A fully stocked bar sat in all it's opulence overlooking the centerpiece of the great room, a 9-foot pool table.

Within the first half hour of walking the grounds we were addressed by name by at least 6 or 7 staff, who we had not even met. I have to say this was a first, being at a resort which goes to such great lengths of preparation for their guests. Everything around us, from the open-air bar areas to the network of swimming pools to the superbly landscaped grounds, glistened under a sky of deepest azure. There were literally dozens of different flowers, and trees with unusual looking fruit hanging from their branches. We stayed there under the all-inclusive plan which I highly recommend springing for at Moon Dance. This way, the only items you ever need to carry with you are a room key and a drink, which were pretty much my only possessions during most of the stay.

The only thing that could match the ambiance and comforts of the resort, was the amazing food. Out every gastronomic experience I've had, this was the most drastically different and unique. Standard breakfast fare were accompanied by new and interesting dishes like Callaloo (a spinach-like green), Ackee and Saltfish (the national dish of Jamaica), and these interesting little pastries called Johnny Cakes. And if you are a meat connoisseur, the various forms were all represented in delicious preparations: Jerk Chicken and Pork, Curried Goat, and incredibly fresh seafood. For our "veggie" and "veggie/meat-eater" friends, the Rasta Pasta was an outstanding vegetarian option as well.

When it came time for Wedding activities, Moon Dance did not disappoint. It felt truly special for everyone that was in attendance. Intimate and romantic with too many smiles around to count. Almost every member of the resort team seemed to be involved in the various aspects of the wedding, and all did so with the sweetest of demeanor's.

Our time in this place was truly special to the point that it was very difficult to leave and I have every intention of going back one day.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tokeoner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I got married at MDC on April 17th. I picked this place blindly after my correspondence with Randy, one of the proprietors. There were several other resorts that I looked at initially (including rose hall and rock house), but MDC seemed to have that non-corporate feel that I was looking for and my communications with Randy sold me.

We spent 5 days at MDC and overall, it was amazing. Our guests were all very pleased with the resort choice and I would say everyone had a fantastic time. I am a frequent traveler (last year, I spent 160 nights in various hotels for business), so when I say the service here was impeccable, that is a high standard to meet. Everyone from the butlers to the concierge to the bar and main dining room staff were all great. Our wedding party stayed in the 5 bedroom villa. Kenroy our butler, was the man! He didn't miss a beat and was great. Its' the perfect location for a large group to all be together, without the worries of vendors or random outside rif-raffs! If I were just rating MDC on my vacation, I would have given it 5 stars, but since I had my wedding here too, I must be honest about a few things.

If I didnt have 5 days of celebrating with my family and friends, I would have been disappointed about my actual wedding day. For starters, I had my hair done and it didn't come out the way I had wanted-yuck. That aside, the revernd had an older version of our vows- yup, we didnt say the correct vows and my sister almost didnt do her reading as we had planned because he didnt have the right version of the vows. I wasnt even mad about this (although I would of had good reason to be).

However, the biggest regret that I had was that I wish we would have waited 30 minutes to see if the rain (more like sprinkles) would stop before moving everything inside to the lobby (it did stop right after everything was moved indoors). In MDC's defense, the previous night, during the rehersal dinner, we waited an hour and it didnt stop raining, so I could understand why they wanted to move everything indoors quickly. My recommendation to MDC would be to get a retractable tent/awning down by the restaurant so it can be used as a sun shade or a rain fly for situations such as our wedding day.

Once our wedding was moved away from the cliffs and into the lobby, where there was zero breeze, the evening went down hill. With 37 guests, plus MDC staff and a reggae band, all crammed into the lobby with lots of pretty candles, it was HOT! We rushed all of the traditional wedding stuff along (speeches, first dance,etc) so we could get out of the sweltering lobby. It was not comfortable nor plesant, I would not recommend wearing a wedding dress or suits (or clothes for that matter) in those conditions! Seeing the sweat dripping on everyone's foreheads, after we cut the cake, we suggested that everyone get out of the lobby and head towards the pool where it was 20 degrees cooler. We left the band in the lobby to continue their nice music with no one to enjoy them. So sad. Our wedding ended, just like that. It was a whirwind wedding day filled with anticipation and deflated by sweat.

1 Thank gnle
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed April 13, 2010

Out of all of the resorts I have been to, this one takes the cake. It was truly the best vacation that I have ever had. I have been to some of the best resorts in the carribean and they all had something missing, but not Moon Dance. I have never been treated so well on a vacation, from the butler service down to the lifeguards (literally), everyone there is anxious to accomodate you and anyone that is with you. The facilties are beautifull and extremely spacious, everything about this place is high class. The owners group should be extremely proud of the resort that they are running.

I was at Moon Dance attending a wedding and it was deffinetly one of the most professionaly done weddings that I have ever been to. As a guest of the bride and groom, I was hoping for an experience deserving of them and I am positive that they got it. Thank you Moon Dance for giving my best friends memories that they can be proud of for the rest of their life. When it all comes down to it, that is the biggest compliment that one can recieve. My only regret is that I could not stay longer, but I will be back next year. So thank you also for cutting out the painfull research on next years trip, I will be sticking with this resort for some time.

3 Thank sc0tt66
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed April 13, 2010

I had booked this trip as part of a wedding party. I would never have chosen Negril, Jamaica for a vacation on my own. Now however, I cant imagine Ill ever go anywhere else. The moon dance cliffs get an A+ in all categories. First of all...I stayed in the 5 bedroom villa which was absolutely gorgeous. The views from every room were breathtaking, the service of our butler, Kenroy, was on point. Not only was he one of the friendliest people I have ever met, he never let us go without something that we needed or wanted for that matter. The excellent service didnt end with Kenroy. Everyone was so accommodating. Richard was the concierge, he was amazing as well. The lifeguards (wally & junior) were excellent as well. they take you down to the cliffs (30 second walk) if you want to go snorkeling in the ocean or jump from the cliffs, which we did a lot of!!! What a blast!!! THere were jumps of all sizes for all levels of fun and expertise. My friends 8 yr old even took a leap from one of the cliffs...it was amazing! They stay in the water with you, guide you, and pay very close attention to your safety as that is their number one concern. The pool was also extremely beautiful. It winds through the center of the property providing plenty of privacy and it also has a pool bar that you are able to swim right up to. The rooms had jacuzzis inside and out. The food was outstanding and readily available from anywhere on the property...the sports bar, lower bar, bar by the cliffs, in the villa/room. you can order anything you want from anywhere you want and it is all delicious!!! Lets just say I didnt lose any weight on vacation :) So that covers the people (A+), the facilities (A+), the food (A+), and the amenities (A+). Last but not least is the views. The sunset in negril is second to none. Ive seen sunsets all over the world, but never as beautiful as the sunset off the cliffs in Negril, Jamaica (A+).

With all of that being said, I would like to thank all of the wonderful people employed by moon dance cliiffs resort for such an amazing trip. I litterally have never been so relaxed in all of my life!!! No problem, mon!!!

Oh yeah...I almost forgot. The wedding I attended there...couldnt have been more amazing!!! Thanks John and Tammy for including me in such an amazing trip!!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends
4 Thank bryan0580
Delaware
Reviewed April 12, 2010

My husband and I booked the resort from April 8-12 to host our wedding. We booked the 5 bedroom villa, 4 ocean-view rooms, and 1 ocean-view suite to accomadate our 21 guests. We were extremely nervous about planning such an important event from thousands of miles away. After much research, all we could rely on were pictures and very few write ups on trip advisor. We decided to take a chance and prayed that we wouldnt be dissappointed.

We started our two week stay in Jamaica at White sands Negril. Although a generaly nice hotel, we were eager to check out Moon Dance. We sent Mariam an email to inquire about availablity, and possibly cut our stay at White Sands early. As usual Mariam responded promply invited us to join them ahead of time. To our surprise Richard called us personaly and told us to pack our bags and he would send a driver to pick us at 6pm. He sayed, "get ready to come to paradise".

When we arrived to Moon Dance the staff was waiting in the lobby to greet us. They gave a drink, shook our hands and indroduced themselves one by one. Our butler, Kenny, gave us a tour of the resort and escorted us to our villa. Kenny surprised us with a private candle light dinner already set up on the cliffs edge. I knew at that moment we made the right decision to host our wedding at Moon Dance Cliffs and this resort truly was paradise. The pictures we found during our research does not do the resort justice. The grounds are properly maintained, spetacular, and breathtaking. The rooms are enormous, spotless, and elegant. The food was abudant and delicious. The staff accomadated our every desire, I have travelled many many times before and have never met a more friendlier bunch in my past vacation experiences.

I would like to give a special thanks to Kerry, our wedding planner. Our wedding turned out to be flawless from start to finish. She accomadated every detail we planned together and went above and beyond. There wasnt a single thing I would have changed. Our guests were extremely happy and said our wedding went down in history! Our butler, Kenny, will be dearly missed as well. He helped make our stay relaxing and romantic and met our every need.

Overall, Moon Dance Cliffs provided us with the wedding of our dreams. We feel like we can call the staff family and each and every one of them will be dearly missed. We can not thank them enough for everything they did to make our day special. The owner, Randy, should be extemely proud to have such an outstanding group of employees. They all deserve a pat on the back! I am writing this review on my honeymoon at Sunset at the Palms, dreaming I was back at Moon Dance. I highly recommend this resort for weddings, romantic getaways, laid back retreats, or family vacations. Dont listen to the negative feedback, keep in mind some people are just impossible to please. We are in process of planning our return for next year!

5 Thank tbrwn250
Minneapolis Minnesota
Reviewed April 7, 2010

My fiancé and I spent a lot of time researching where our wedding would be in Jamaica. When I found Moon Dance Cliffs I thought it was perfect: quaint, secluded and chic. My fiancé and I put a deposit on our wedding date and planned a trip to Jamaica to visit Moon Dance Cliffs and start the planning process. We were 98% sure Moon Dance was the perfect spot to have our wedding but wanted to check it out in person prior to making such a huge financial investment.

Upon arrival we were greeted by Richard who was very helpful through-out our stay. We were greeted with rum punch and were told that the manager and wedding planner were waiting to meet with us (not exactly what you want to do after a day of travel but we appreciated their promptness). Linus (manager) and Kerry (wedding planner) met with us. There was no real "agenda" to the meeting, it was all fairly unorganized. My fiancé was put off by Linus’ attitude to us and telling him what he can and can't do on the wedding. We appreciate advice but it was more like "I forbid you to be in the sun, etc."

After we were shown to our room (standard room) we were told the mini bar would be stocked with water, soda, juice, etc. 6 hours later, it wasn't stocked and we had to call down and get someone to come to our room (they showed up 1 hour later).

Overall the service was very slow (which I expected..it is Jamaica). However, we became even more hesitant about this seeing as the resort was only 60% occupied and it was still very slow. Considering we were going to rent out the entire resort this was a huge deterrent for us...how would they be able to keep up??? In all fairness there was some service that was spot on (Andre at the pool bar, Carrie (butler))

My fiancé and I love food and appreciate good food. The food here was by far the biggest let down. There was no variety (same 5 options every day just cooked differently) and no flavor. Hardly any of the menu items were available and it routinely came out cold. They have a menu but nothing on the menu was ever available. We routinely heard "we are out of that or we don't have that today." I understand it's a small resort but you should at least have bagels if they are on your menu and are one of 3 options for breakfast...

Bugs: are everywhere. There were ants in our room and I got bit up by mosquitoes. We spent time outside of moon dance cliffs at another resort and I didn't get one bite.

Wedding: We were able to see a wedding (20 person group) during our stay which was helpful in considering the resort as an option. The couple was beautiful but I felt horrible for the bride! Her music did not play on time and her processional played over and over. I could hear her frustration from the villa. The set up for the wedding was nice. I was able to talk to the bride and there were apparently many problems over the course of her stay. In addition, while meeting with the couple they explained that they also did a site visit before their wedding. They told us during the site visit the management team pulled “out all of the stops” to sell them on the resort (private candle lit dinner, etc.). We did not receive ANY of this treatment; we were treated like just your average guest (not even that). I’m not high maintenance but I expected something a little special since we made the trip. And HONESTLY we were 98% sure we were booking that our wedding would be at Moon Dance and had planned to book out the ENTIRE resort! Not that we expected anything elaborate it just would have been nice to feel a little special or appreciated.

Overall: To say the least I was very disappointed but I was so happy that we visited prior to spending so much money on a below average resort. I thought we had found our dream wedding location but we had to start all over. We ended up extending our trip so that we could visit more resorts. Moon Dance has the right niche but needs to get some proper management under their belt. It is a great set up for a unique, "not cookie-cutter", destination weddings but I hope they are able to get their act together before any more brides are disappointed and get their hopes up.

I also hope to get my deposit back...

Pros:
Resort is beautiful. Grounds were a little dry due to lack of rain but still beautiful. Accommodations are very plush.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Drexoxo
The Great City o' Chicago
Reviewed April 4, 2010

We were very impressed. The look and feel of this place is fabulous. The vibe given off by everyone who works here is so excellent. And the site itself is spectacular. You are at the westernmost point of Jamaica, the waves breaking against a rocky shore. Our room was airy and bright, generously sized, and beautifully appointed. Everything is first class. We were there on an all-inclusive plan, not wanting to do anything except soak up some sun, swim, and read by the pool, and we didn't want to have to deal with "Where are we going for dinner?" every night. So, in a week of 3 meals/day, we ate here about 20 times. The food was always good, and sometimes great. The food was the only aspect that I would say was not world class. Everything else was.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple