“Not so perfect this time” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Moon Dance Cliffs

Moon Dance Cliffs
Ranked #43 of 84 Hotels in Negril
aperry
“Not so perfect this time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2010

I am very sad to write this review since my first trip to this resort was perfect! But I just had my wedding there a few days ago and SO many things went wrong. It's unfortunate because it's the day you want to be so perfect. If you go there with no expectations then everything will be fine. But since I read tripadvisor so many times to look for wedding destination reviews I want to give fair warning to brides.
Positives: Resort is beautiful
Photographer was great
Kerry and Elwood (butlers) were great!
Food was great (when it came out)
Massages were AMAZING
Villas are beautiful
Negatives:
The jacuzzis never work. I read reviews that said they didn't work and asked the wedding planner several times and she said that they all work, they never did.
On the first night I specifically told Carrie the wedding planner that I wanted to choose off the regular menu since my guest were very picky eaters. When we sat down they told us they prepared a special menu for us: Jerk Chicken, Jerk Pork and fried fish. There were also 6 children there and there was no option for them. For picky eaters this was not exactly the best menu. Their suggestion was to let the guest who did not like what they picked out order off the regular menu and that food NEVER came out! We also were suppose to have karaoke after dinner and the machine never worked.
Wedding Day.
After my massage we had set up a ladies lunch outside the spa. When I got out of the massage all the ladies were in the hair salon just sitting in there not knowing what was going on. No food, no wine or water. I had to set up everything and run back and forth to the bar to get drinks and find out where the food was. I chose make your own salads. They brought up a smaller salad, and tuna sandwiches. No plates, forks, napkins or glasses. Hair appointment were to start at 1:30 but lunch didn't officially get set up til 1:10. This made my ladies lunch very short and not as exciting as I imagined it.
This also pushed all the hair appointments back because everyone was running late.
I had the last hair appointment, which I did not like. Booby pins were falling out of my hair while walking down the aisle. They did take the charge off the bill, but it can;t be fixed the damage was already done. My photographers exact words were Thank god your maid of honor stepped in and started putting your hair back together or else we would have a lot of photo shopping to do!
I was done hair at 4:30 and the ceremony started at 5. I still needed to get into my dress and do make-up and have some photo shots with the photographer. This was ALL so rushed I can't even remember it. What I do remember is they played my wedding march song over and over again while seating the guests! They had a playlist for seating of the guest. Ceremony music. Dinner music and then reception music. All clearly labeled. While I was in the villa getting dressed they took that moment away from me when everyone hears my song and looks at me. Again this is something that can never be replaced either. It brought me to tears.
Dinner: Yet very good. There was no food for the kids. They were suppose to have chicken fingers and that never came out. When I went to check on them they had put together jerk chicken. This is spicy, and for children all under the age of 6! Unacceptable, by the time actual chicken nuggets came out the kids were asleep.
I told the wedding planner that this was a very simple wedding, no introductions and speeches... they did not honor my request and kept making me do the things I asked not to do.
Then time for the fire dancers. I asked for "fire dancers" apparently they were not available and they sent a man who was burning his body. He put fire down his pants, throat, feet and the kids all started crying. I had to have him stop because it was not a pleasant thing to watch. They again did not charge me for this but I still did not have fire dancers at the wedding. This was suppose to be a big surprise for the kids! Which turned into a nightmare!
The last morning my husband and I were going to have breakfast at my family's bedroom at 8:30 and they served it at 7:30. My husband and I were in the 1br so we missed out on breakfast with the family.
When we were leaving there was suppose to be a van traveling with all the luggage following us since we were all in one van and when we brought all our luggage up to the lobby it was put on a van and immediately took off without them telling us. We were about 20 minutes behind it which made me extremely uncomfortable.
So.. if you have high expectations this would not be the best place for you. But if your going to relax.. no worries.

• Stayed March 2010
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank aperry79
Moonrandy, Owner at Moon Dance Cliffs, responded to this review, April 8, 2010
After interviewing everyone involved in aperry79’s wedding, we came to the conclusion that while most of our employees acted diligently, a confluence of errors, bad judgment, and poor communication combined to ruin a special day for one of our guests. This is unacceptable at Moon Dance. And while we cannot roll back the clock, we can certainly make some changes to prevent this from happening again. New staff is being added to assist our busy wedding coordinator and improve communication with all future brides.

I have personally been in contact with aperry79 and arranged for a 100% refund to her and all of her guests to be sent immediately. I also invited her back to either Moon Dance property, to show her the discrete, courteous, professional, and friendly service we normally provide.

At Moon Dance, we’re committed to service and redoubling our efforts to ensure this never happens again.

Randy McKay
Owner
Moon Dance Resorts

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
abingdon, va
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2010

What a very nice place. The one bedroom suite was large and very nicely furnished and comfortable with great outdoor sitting areas. The grounds and pool were beautiful and the staff was so gracious and did everything they could to make us happy (Richard, Carrie, Camille, Tonya, Andrekia, Samone, Foster Dawkins, Dale, etc.....) The food, although limited, was delicious at every meal. Thanks to everyone for making my birthday so nice and memorable. We hope to return and highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank vsharp
baltimore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2010

We’ve just returned from a five day stay Moon Dance Cliffs, Feb. 3 - 7. Because prior reviews were so incredibly helpful, I’d like to share my own. My initial internet inquiry was answered very quickly by Randy, who I understand is one of the owners. Once I was ready to book, Kim became my email point of contact. I really appreciate their responsiveness to my questions.

I’ll detail my criticisms first, so that I can finish on a good note, because ultimately, Moon Dance Cliffs is a beautiful place to be.

The resort is suited to wedding groups, as other reviewers have mentioned. With just two or three couples on the property, the pool bar and gift shop (where you buy cigars) were not open regularly. Some menu items were not available. Depending on the season, you may be more secluded than you had hoped.

Much of the restaurant staff was inexperienced and very new. While very polite and friendly (even timid at times), they did not seem knowledgeable about the area (many have very long commutes from distant towns). If Rick’s isn’t your type of excursion, you might want to do your own research for more interesting spots to explore.

Music at the Sports bar and Annies seemed to be left up to the servers, which didn’t always work. Some brought in their own reggae CD’s, which was great, some played local radio, which was OK. But, the morning Annie’s had Celine Dion and country music playing I decided I had to mention it. I think music at the bars and pool should be a focus because it has such power in creating a holiday atmosphere. Live music was described on their website (it has been removed), and in their welcome email, but unfortunately was not offered.

The website photos of 1 bedroom suites says poolside, and shows a ground floor unit. I was a bit disappointed to find our suite was on the 2nd floor. It’s a bit further to the bar, and our hot tub wasn’t under the stars. All rooms are listed as poolside – that oversight was my mistake. But, if you have a preference, be sure to clarify.

I feel the tipping policy should be clearly stated (I wasn’t sure, but tipped throughout). I definitely feel the pool area needs more shady spots. Landscaping was lovely, but could stand to grow a bit more lush. And, this part of the cliffs is quite rough, so snorkeling might be better further in to town.

Now, the good stuff.

Moon Dance IS super swanky! The rooms are gorgeous – and spotless. Housekeeping does a stunning job everyday. We thoroughly enjoyed the Ipod dock, Red Stripes in our fridge, the easy to use safe, the flower petals on the bed each day, the comfy bed, the unbeatable view of the grounds and the ocean.

Check in and check out were a breeze. The staff met us with cocktails, carried our luggage up to our room, and had us check in right in our room. They were also kind enough to let us stay past check out time because our flight was late in the day.

We were able to cliff jump our last day. Junny (sorry about the spelling) the lifeguard showed off his diving, took a picture for us, and showed us some great things on the cliffs. We really appreciated his kind attention.

The grounds are beautiful. The food was delicious. The staff answered every request. I must mention Titanya – a true star who went above and beyond on several occasions and impressed us so much! Thank you!

Overall, Moon Dance Cliffs was lovely. You can’t help but enjoy the level of service. While it was a bit secluded for us, I imagine it would make an outstanding destination for a group or couple looking for quiet relaxation.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jenniferjr
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2010

We wanted to make sure we were able to send in a review about Moon Dance Cliffs. Often times people get hung up on the negative and fail to mention the positive. We went to Moon Dance for our honeymoon and it was beautiful. It is a small villa resort way out in Negril, Jamaica. My husband wanted seclusion and we surely got it! We were in the Crystal Dawn villa, a duplex 1 bedroom that was jaw dropping. We were cliffside and the sunsets were magical. THe property was very well kept and the best amenity of all was our butler Phillip. We have never had the fortunate experience of having butler service (which was one of the main reasons we chose Moon Dance) and he made it all worth it. He was polite, attentive, and was our advocate. He went above and beyond his call of duty to make sure we were safe, happy and truly enjoyed our stay.
Of course no new hotel is not w/o faults. Yes be advised this resort is fairly new, maybe almost 2 years old. For one, they are ill equipped to handle mechanical issues as we were w/o our private outdoor jacuzzi for our entire stay. When asked to have it fixed it took multiple trips by some of the staff and no one could extinguish the problem. It just so happens that while we were there, the owner of the resort, Randy, came to stay for a few days. He didnt introduce himself as the owner but Phillip made us aware he was coming and staying in the villa right next door to ours. Once he got wind of our jacuzzi issue, he made sure we were accomodated by allowing us to use the jacuzzi of a nearby villa which was unoccupied. Of course Phillip being the conscientious guy that he was, went to get the jacuzzi rolling for us but unfortunately we decided not to use it. we just sat on the balcony and watched the sunset...absolutely beautiful...by checkout they were kind enough to take off some of the total charges given we had no jacuzzi for the entire trip and that was part of the package.
Also be advised of the menu. This is an all inclusive resort and we definitely wanted to get our moneys worth but the menu needs some more variety. We were there for 4 nights and many ofthe items were not available to us simply b/c the chef was not up for making it. THere was a very low census in the resort as this was not peak season but then if that is the case the menu needs to be altered to reflect that. Otherwise guests will want all the items to be availed to them and they will be sorely disappointed. Because of this issue, we did end up sampling food from other venues such as Ricks Cafe and the nearby Rockhouse Villas where the food was insanely good.
The food we did have at Moon Dance was excellent, we were definitely impressed...we just would have liked to have something more than "regular cake" for dessert (that stood for vanilla cake)
All in all we had a great experience at Moon Dance and may go back...once it gets a little older and more refined. Phillip is a wonderful asset to this resort and we wish him all the best...

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank triplover79
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2010

Let me start by saying that it is almost difficult writing a review for the Moon Dance Cliffs because every part of our stay was so perfect. I almost don't know where to start.

When we arrived at the airport in Montego Bay, our driver was easy to find and very accommodating. We asked if we could stop for some Red Stripe for the drive, and he happily obliged. During the 1.5 hour drive to Negril, he pointed out each town as we passed and told us interesting trivia about the area. Great service!

When we arrived at the Moon Dance Cliffs, there were 3-4 employees standing on the stairs and waiting for us. They handed us each a rum punch and some cold towels, and took us immediately on a tour of the property. When we arrived at our villa (Poinciana Villa), our bags were already in our room. And what a room! The villa was wonderful... everything you could possibly want was in the room. Fully stocked bar? Done. Computer with internet access? Yes. Ipod docking station? Check. Board games? Yup. Snacks? Uh huh. Wireless internet in the villa? Of course! They even had stocked the bar with my husband's liquor of choice... just because I had mentioned IN PASSING while booking that he liked a certain brand. I was shocked.

Then we met our favorite person (well, besides each other!) from our honeymoon... our butler Kerry. Let me tell you... Kerry was AWESOME. I cannot stress enough how wonderful the service was that she provided during our stay. Every morning, she promptly brought our breakfast and set it up on our patio. After breakfast, if we were leaving for the day she would pack us a cooler with beer, soda, water etc. and get us fresh beach towels to take on our tour... or if we were staying in, she would bring us drinks (unprompted) throughout the day that she thought we would like. Each meal was set up on our patio with fresh flowers picked from the grounds as a decoration (unless we chose to eat at Annie's or the Sports Bar, which we did on occasion). And the piece de resistance? If we were on a tour for the day and were running late, she would actually CALL US to ask if we were hungry and wanted dinner waiting on us when we returned back to the villa. Now let me ask you this: how many times have you stayed in a hotel where THEY called YOU to see if you were hungry??? Unbelievable service, let me tell you!

And while I'm talking about it, I have to also mention Richard, the concierge. I think he may be the most genuinely caring individual on the planet... always ready to do ANYTHING to make your trip better. And the staff of Annie's? The Sports Bar? All equally attentive, talkative and engaging. Every single staff member addressed us by our names, whether we had been introduced to them or not. And one more thing I noticed, incidentally... not once during our trip did a staff member stand around awkwardly waiting for a tip for providing a certain service (like a doorman when dropping off your bags, etc.)... they performed their jobs with a genuine smile and a desire to make you happy. Needless to say, we tipped generously! :)

As for our villa... that was fantastic as well. Beautiful accommodations, flat screen TVs in the living room and bedroom (with Miami local stations), huge bathroom with garden tub and separate shower, large patio with sunken private jacuzzi, and a view that felt like you were sitting on top of the ocean. During our stay, we also had the opportunity to tour each of the other villas... they were all equally amazing. The 4- and 5- bedroom villas even had a pool table inside and upper floor balconies (some with jacuzzis)! Of the two 1-bedrooms, I would definitely recommend the Poinciana (just because of location), but the Crystal Dawn was nice too. Each villa had a private jacuzzi and patio space outside.

As for the grounds? They were immaculate as well! The landscaping was lush, the pools were clean. Trust me... any problems that they may have had with start up are now a thing of the past!

So... was there ANYTHING about the resort that was less than 5-star? Well, I suppose so. We had problems getting the jacuzzi to work at times, and the maintenance staff spent a number of hours trying to fix it. (Eventually, my husband fixed it. And the resort gave us a complimentary couples massage for our trouble.) The gift shop had odd hours, and we couldn't catch them open often. The pool bar was never open during our stay (but that could be because, for several of the days, we were the only guests in the entire resort... and we had a butler to take care of us!). The resort is on the cliffs and not on the beach, and there is no free shuttle to the beach (although we much prefer cliff diving to beach walking, and taxis are readily available). And I suppose that if you REALLY look, you can see some things that still need to be finished at the hotel. But all in all? The above didn't make a DENT in our satisfaction level with the Moon Dance Cliffs. We honestly could not have dreamed of a better honeymoon, and would recommend the place wholeheartedly!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
6 Thank schult70
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 31, 2009

After much research on resorts in Negril and after reading the reviews below, we chose to hold our December Wedding and Vacation at Moondance Cliffs and were thrilled with our choice. We would highly recommend this property to anyone looking for a relaxing vacation with beautiful views of the Caribbean from everywhere on the property and gorgeous sunsets. As we were primarily the only guests on the property during our stay, we had the entire place to ourselves which was wonderful.

Upon arriving at Moondance Cliffs, we were greeted by the staff with glasses of Rum Punch and taken to our villa. We stayed in the Ironwood Villa which was spacious and lovely with beautiful views. The Ironwood Villa has a Jacuzzi on the patio and another on the balcony of the master suite. The Jacuzzi on the patio was not working while we were there, but the one on the balcony was fully operational. Our butler Kenroy was accommodating, friendly and was always able to help us with our requests; from bringing bottles of Guinness for our mini fridge to setting up a dinner for us on the cliffs. He also surprised my husband and I with a private dinner in the gazebo on our last night. All of the other staff was wonderful as well and we always felt right at home.

Kerry the wedding planner and I corresponded by email to plan the wedding and although I was a fairly laid-back bride, all of my specifications were met precisely. The wedding dinner was delicious our small party of six enjoyed every bite. We highly recommend the sweet and sour chicken, the jerk pork and the barbeque chicken.

The pool was beautiful with an area near the pool bar with lounge chairs in the water and a hot tub, and a lower area with a basketball hoop. There are plenty of lounge chairs and tables and two hammocks. Aside from our first full day there, the pool bar was not open, but we didn’t mind as we were always able to get whatever we needed promptly and without much effort.

There are also lounge chairs down near the cliffs if you prefer to be closer to the ocean. There is a tidal pool along the cliffs that you can swim in. The waves crash up into the tidal pool, keeping it from becoming stagnant and it is large enough for several people- just keep your eyes peeled for sea urchins. There is a ladder to the ocean, but the location of the ladder does not make it easy to get out of the water. The lifeguard moved the ladder to a better spot for us so we could jump off the cliffs into the ocean safely…we were very grateful as we really wanted to enjoy the ocean from the resort at least once.

We took several day trips to the beach, which is about a 10 minute drive which was convenient. There are several places along the beach where you can lounge in chairs and drink cocktails without having to pay for a day pass, just ask the concierge or taxi driver where they recommend.

Our only complaint is that the resort should make access to the water easier for guests as the ocean swells in the current location of the ladder make it difficult to get out of the water without being pulled and pushed against the cliffs and possibly spiked by sea urchins. They should also have snorkel equipment available for guest use.

Overall, our stay was remarkable and we can’t wait to return next year to Moondance Cliffs and Negril!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with friends
3 Thank thedudeabides7
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2009

My travel agent informed me that Moon Dance has a great reputation and I would be pleased with the hotel. She was right! From the moment I got off the plane, everything went flawlessly. One of Moon Dance's own drivers named Dean came to pick me up to head to Moon Dance Cliffs and provided an unofficial tour of the route between Montego Bay and Negril. The food, the views, clean spacious rooms, and the the friendliest staff I have ever encountered made my stay at Moon Dance Cliffs to be one of the most memorable trips I have been on. I got to mingle with guests who were a mix of wedding attendees, honeymooners, and even travel agents checking out the resort. Everyone was having a great time and loved every bit. The resort is brand new, and now that all the lush landscaping and pretty flowers are grown in and beautiful, I am certain Moon Dance Cliffs will become one of Jamaica's top destinations for destination weddings, honeymoons and vacations. I look forward to visiting Moon Dance Cliffs in the future and would recommend it.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank destinationwedphotog
Also consider these accommodations in or near Negril
The Cliff Hotel
#27 of 84 in Negril
Jackie's on the Reef
Jackie's on the Reef
#35 of 84 in Negril

Been to Moon Dance Cliffs? Share your experiences!