“Awesome - can't say much more”

Floyd's Pelican Bar
Ranked #2 of 20 Nightlife in Negril
Northern Illinois
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Awesome - can't say much more”
Reviewed July 12, 2010

we went up with a private driver, just a mom, dad and an 8 yr old and we happen to be the first customers of the day. First getting there - OMG - the standing on this deserted part of the beach listening to our driver (Terry) say - we catch ride here and no one was in site - we were needless to say a bit uncomfortable.

But when it was all said and done - we got out there - we loved the experience. It was once in a lifetime view, experience, surroundings and even our son who is 8 was like he was in heaven swimming all around. Just go for once, is all I can say. You won't forget it.

4 Thank Dena S

• Korean first
New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“A little disappointed”
Reviewed June 9, 2010

After having read so much about this unusual spot, I was a little disappointed .... first of all, the famous Floyd wasn't there ~ so we missed that interaction and I think part of the attraction. When you first arrive on shore to be transported to the actual 'bar', you do get a chuckle seeing it out in the middle of no where .... we had a long ride and were looking forward to some cold Red Stripes .. unfortunately, they weren't .... cold that is! Not sure who greeted us ... think it was Floyd's cook that day but he wasn't friendly at all. I introduced myself and my companion and hoped to have a little exchange but nothing. We were amused by the various flags hanging along with business cards, hats, etc. and added ours to the collection. While waiting for lunch which was preordered by our tour guide .. Barrett Adventures .. I enjoyed wading around near the sand bar which made it easy to get up and down the stairs to the bar. Lunch was okay but not particularly tasty .. maybe we just were there on an off day, since so many people raved about the place. I'm certainly glad I made arrangements to go ... it's quite unusual and funky .. but unless combined with a stop or two at other sites to see ... not worth the long trip.

3 Thank flaxen1946
Newcastle UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Unusual place, a must see”
Reviewed June 6, 2010

We went to Floyd's at the end of May. We hired a taxi for the day and visited YS falls, Black river and Floyd's.
We hired a boat at Black river and set out on about a 45 minute ride.
It is an amazing place and a total one off.
We only had a few drinks, as the kitchen seemed to be closed when we were there.
The place is about 1/4 mile off shore on a sand bank, so the only way is to hire a boat, mainly from treasure beach area (it is not in Negril).

We managed to hire a local to take us around Black river in his boat and then to Floyd's and it cost us $80 (It should be cheaper if you can get transport sorted nearer to Floyd's or if there are a few of you).
We had a great time, but entertainment is all of your own making. We were lucky as there was a couple of crazy Americans already there and a few drinks ahead of us, if you know what I mean.
Floyd was not there when we arrived, but he must have seen the queue at the bar as he arrived just before we left.
In all it was a determined effort to get there but we can say we "have been there done that".

Nebraska
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Chillin' on a sand bar”
Reviewed May 11, 2010

Corey from Barrett Adventures drove us down to the Black River area and one of our stops was Floyd’s Pelican Bar. We really felt that we couldn’t miss this stop after reading so much about it! Corey called ahead and ordered us lunch, I had curried lobster and Steve & Corey had the fish…all delicious!

Getting out to the sandbar itself was a funny adventure. The guy who normally takes people out was already out on his boat. But some other entrepreneurial Jamaicans living on the coast had set up another boat ride business. We pulled into their drive way and Corey arranged for our ride. While we stood on the beach, I met Benji, the Rasta dog. He was a very unique dog as every other dog I saw in Jamaica looked similar (smaller, with a shorter dun colored coat) but this dog had what Steve and decided was a Jamaican mullet. From the front he looked like the dog from the Benji stories…then he turned around and from the “waist” back he had dreadlocks! Anyway, he was a nice dog and it was just a funny story.

We got onto the boat and rode out to Floyd’s, about a 10 minute trip on the clear water. Floyd’s is just as I expected/hoped it would be. A little bar on a sandbar in the ocean! It looks like it’s about to fall down, but it is surprisingly sturdy. We got there and lunch was ready for us. We sat out on the “sun deck” and ate. Everyone should eat curry at a bar in the middle of the ocean. I wanted to take a nap, but we ended up wading around the bar (we should have brought our snorkeling stuff). We came back up, drank a beer and headed out. The place wasn’t too crowded, there were 2 other groups there and a few locals (including Floyd). It was relaxing and a really cool experience!

1 Thank tuckx9ne
Washington DC
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Gotta Love Floyd”
Reviewed April 2, 2010

I spent my birthday at The Pelican Bar because I'd seen it aired on The Travel Channel a while back. Getting there from Negril was a long and interesting ride. My friends and I went with Kenny of Kenny's Jamaican Tours (AWESOME GUY), who gave us history lessons on each of the small towns we drove through.

Upon arriving at the beach, we were greeted by a little fishing boat. My friends and I were like 'UH....WOW, how will we all ever fit?' The crew assured us that we'd be okay and off we went into the sea. We arrived at The Pelican Bar and the owner, Floyd, greeted us with a huge smile. He and his staff prepared steamed fish and rice for us and we enjoyed every moment of our stay there.

The Pelican Bar is unique in itself. It sits on stilts in the middle of the ocean and has a back deck and swimming area. The water surrounding the bar is pretty shallow, so you are able to explore the waters. The meal was YUMMY and FRESH! Trust me when I say we enjoyed every single bite.

Let's talk about Floyd. He's amazing! He has one of the most honest smiles and he is more than willing to give you information on the history of his Pelican Bar. He made sure I had a memorable birthday, which definitely was the case. I'll never forget Floyd, that smile, his crew, and the beautiful Pelican Bar.

This is definitely WORTH the trip. The Pelican Bar has a Facebook page that includes information on how to contact Floyd and arrange a trip there.

DO IT!!!!