“So Glad We Went!”

Book In Advance
More Info
$234.00*
and up
Private South Coast Adventure Tour from Montego...
Ranked #3 of 21 Nightlife in Negril
Reviewed April 27, 2011

I've read about Floyd's for years. I think I even saw something about it on the Travel Channel. So finally we were staying long enough in Negril to take a day to travel to Floyd's. I am so glad we finally went!

We were a group of 10 which made it even more fun! The ride from Negril is great, but I love looking at the countryside. We stopped for some soup and Bammy (can't remember the name of the place) and it was fabulous. It is a large outdoor place with lots of vendors. Would have liked the fish too, but I knew we would be eating at Floyd's.

I was surprised at the size of the boats, but it really was fine. The day we went out it was extremely windy and the water was VERY rough getting there. We were completely wet once we arrived. But that was part of the adventure for sure! I will admit I was a bit scared when I saw the swells, but these boat guys do this everyday all day long, so no worries.

We loved everything about Floyd's! The guys working there were so friendly and accomodating. The food exceeded my expectations. We had both the fried fish and the curry lobster. Both were VERY good! It is hard to believe they cook it all right there over wood/coals.

We did the traditional name carving and even left a t-shirt hanging thanks to one of the guys in our group.

If you have time, walk out to the reef it was a cool walk. I know you can snorkel around the property but the visibility in the water wasn't that great when we were there.

If you haven't gone to Floyd's you need to! Like someone else said, only in Jamaica can you go to a full service restaurant/bar in the middle of the water. We've been to Negril 5 times, but had never taken the time to go to Floyd's. I'm glad we did. The Black River looked like a neat place to go to see Alligators. Oh well, something to look forward to for next time.

1  Thank tikihutmom
in 22 reviews
"south coast"
in 12 reviews

Reviewed April 26, 2011

This was my 3rd trip to Jamaica and I had wanted to visit Treasure Beach to really kick back (you think Negril is kick back? Treasure Beach is KICK BACK!) I had read about the Pelican Bar, yes there are Pelicans you can see flying around too on the way (didn't get to see any dolphins which I read can happen too)!
So going to the Bar on a section of reef out seeminly miles from the shoreline was quite an experience. I asked Teddy /Jenue, hotel employee at Treasure Beach Hotel to help me get there. He found one boat ride that would have cost $80 & he said that was too expensive. I agreed and asked if he could find someone else. He did and I settled on a $40 ride which included Teddy so he could accompany there. After reading some of the other reviews, I might have been able to go lower but for two people it wasn't a bad price.
The weather was gorgeous with just a few sprinkles. The ride was an exhilarating experience as the driver I think might have had a strong engine he liked to show the other boat guys how fast he could go. In fact on the way back, he raced with another boat neck and neck. ONLY IN JAMAICA FOR SURE! It was a thrilling ride so fast and we would bop up in down with speed. hitting the waves! I giggled with laughter like a kid on a roller coaster ride!
Oh one other thing, comments about being old and with bad knees and such. Give me a break! If you really want to have fun and experience what you can't have any where else, DO IT! I have a bad left knee but also very active and getting up the stairs wasn't a problem. Everyone is willing to help if needed and hey there is no rush out there! You are in Jamaica, with social fun loving folks who are there to help you enjoy too what they get to have all the time. I wish I had checked about the fresh fish lunch and brought a business card or something to etch "my mark".
I only was in Treasure Beach two days, not enough time. I'll be going again this summer and staying at least 5 or 6 days. I will return to Pelican Bar and do more there, but for the first time sitting on the deck in the sun, feeling the warm sun and nice wind was just what I wanted. I recommend it for those who want to know the real Jamaica and aren't bothered by being completely casual without touristy frills. Be willing to barter a good price getting there and it will be worth it for sure!

Reviewed April 6, 2011

When I first heard about a bar in the middle of the sea, I HAD to see it. I became obsessed. Floyd and the Pelican Bar did not disappoint. What a fabulous place this is. We had the whole place to ourselves. I will never forget his warmth and hospitality, rocking in the hammock and the breeze! AWESOME. I could have spent the night out there!

1  Thank AlionaGibson
Reviewed March 31, 2011

First of all you take you life in your hands by going to this place. While it may be unique and interesting to go out into the middle of the ocean, it's not safe. I would not recommend this for anyone who has a hard time walking, climbing, swimming, or has bad knees, legs, ankles etc. I have none of the above ailments and yet I found it difficult to climb up into the shack on the single limb stairs!! Inside there were young people with babies, it was very odd and I would not go back.

8  Thank travelinfool801
See more reviews
Reviewed January 18, 2011

In December my husband Matt and I traveled to Floyd's . We spent the first half of the day at YS Falls then we went out to Floyd's. The boat ride was about 15 mins to get there. When you are first coming out of Black River the waves make it a ruff ride kinda scary at first but then once you got a little ways out it was smoother.
When we got to Floyds there were about 15 people there. 8 guys from Virgina for a 30th birthday, they were fun to hangout with. We ate fish and rice which had a kind of sweet sauce, which was very good. They ran out of beer due to the amount that the guys from Virgina were drinking. But there was enough rum so I was happy.
An incredible experience just to look out towards the sun and see nothing but water surrounding you. The entire trip for the day was a little expensive about $360 but that included the cab all day, entrance fee at YS, breakfast, lunch, dinner, drinks, boat, and tips. Was it worth the price? Definitely!

1  Thank redblueku