“Peaceful”

Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge
Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed November 23, 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
1  Thank Wayne S

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Definitely not one of the better hotels to stay at. It's budget friendly, the rooms were clean with a glass door leading out to a small strip of beach. The road leading down to the hotel felt a little unsafe but its actually a rafting area. There is no formal parking if you have a car. You are outside the city and getting a taxi might not be the easiest thing. I definitely wouldn't recommend if you don't have your own transport. There is also a cash deposit that is required at check in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank stacey b
Reviewed August 22, 2013

GOOD- right on the beach. All rooms face the water and have table and chairs on the outside patio. Minimum breakfast (toast, juice, coffee). Price was reasonable ($88). Away from the downtown area.
ANNOYING- very hard to find. instructions were not that good. Did a bunch of driving around until we found it.
UGLY- had to park out in front in a non-secure area. I did worry about the car but did not have any problems. Not in a very good part of town (or at least seems that). Very seedy getting to the location.
EXTRA- room had a "salty musty" smell but it is right on the water so I expected this.
WOULD I GO BACK- I stayed here on my way to Port Antonio and stayed here again on the way back to Mo Bay. At least on the way back I knew where it way

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same. We stayed in two different rooms on the second floor. Stairs only in c...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I will never recommend anyone to stay at this hotel. The only thing that was good about Crystal Ripple was the beach and the view from the balconies. My fiance and i felt the need to get away from Kingston or a few days to relax and we ended up getting our vehicle stolen directly in front of the always open front doors to the hotel which we found out that it is their parking lot. The first thing that got upset was that they wanted to now if we were "visitors or locals". What is the difference if we are visitors or locals? Second thing is we couldn't speak to the manager not even over the phone,get the persons name or even the assistant manager witch we say in person ,according to her she is allowed to issue her name either. The next thing is why is that you have a business like this and know deep down that you have no security and to make matters worse....... you're going to lie about having Security. My point,closing argument is the hotel is nothing but a "tenement yard" with a lovely view of the Caribbean sea from any of the 3floors and breath taking sunsets and very rude staff members except an articulate ,caring individual By the name of Horace.

• Stayed: April 2013
10  Thank RKB0323
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia and the listing clearly stated it is beachfront property with a restaurant on site. Although I knew I was taking a risk, I still booked it. It turns out that there is NO restaurant on site. The housekeeper can cook a meal in the kitchen if you order it at least 24 hours in advance AND if they happen to have the food available. The day my plane arrived, I tried to order some food, but was told I would have to either walk about a mile out to the main road, take a taxi into the city or order delivery from "Pizza King." Naturally I was upset because I did not fly all the way to Jamaica to eat "Pizza King." It just so happens the young man working the evening shift felt sorry for me, so he walked out to the main road and bought me some chicken and rice. I tipped him a few dollars, which he said was fine with him. I did place my order from the menu I was provided for the next day, but low and behold the next day I was told they did not have any pancake mix or cheese for my eggs. In a nutshell, if you want food, you can order fish because the guy literally catches it out back at 6 am every morning, but if you want anything other than toast, coffee, juice and cereal, you are out of luck.

I will be fair, the property is very clean and the staff did everything humanly possible to try to make me comfortable, but not being able to get food without a hassle was a serious problem for me. The propery is all the way out buried near the White River where they have the tubing and rafts, so you have to go through Ocho Rios to get there. I took the shuttle from the airport and the driver could not find it. He had to stop at another property and be guided back to the property. The neighborhood was a bit scary upon arrival, but after a few days, I realized the people out lining the streets were the same ones working the rafts and tubes. They didn't seem to cause me any harm.

The beach was beautiful, but seemed a bit deserted at times. I did get a lot of sleep because there was not a lot of foot traffic, but I got tired of taking a taxi back and forth into the city every time I wanted to get out as there are no activities and NO swimming pool at this property. I made good use of the pool and water slide at Margaritaville in the city. As long as you order a drink or a meal, you can obtain a wrist band for unlimited access to their pool. One of the lifeguards at a neighboring hotel gave the telephone number of a local driver who charged me roughly $5 a trip instead of the usual $10, so I called him for most of my rides. I was allowed to use the telephone at the main desk because my cell phone was roaming.

The rooms are spacious. The small TV has basic cable and the air conditioning worked fine. They do have water, soda, chips and small snacks for sale for $1 US (or $100 dollars Jamaican). However, another major drawback was the $60 key deposit. They asked for cash and I only had my credit card, but they were willing to work with me.

So if I were to describe this property, I would just say it is "basic." For the price, you get a bed, a bathroom, beachfront and balcony. You are responsible for your own meals outside of the continental breakfast, transportation and entertainment. The neighborhood and location is iffy, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor. They let out directly to the beach.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank NoJokeDee
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The staff here is very accommodating, but the appearance of this hotel is lacking it makes you feel so depressed. The hotel looks like run down and what is the word ghetto. I wouldn't waste my money to stay here ever again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed January 18, 2013

What a gem of a hotel!
The room was perfectly adequate though the showers were irregular sometimes.
Each room overlooks the beach and the beach and sea, sometimes, comes right up to the building. The little bay has trees as a back round and looks like Treasure Island.
While the hotel is north facing, the pier allows sunbathing all day long.
Even inJjanuary.
It is quite possible to walk into Ocho Rios but taxis are always available and not expensive.
Ocho Rios is a real bustling town, full of local activity. Always something to see.
Cruise ships discharging passengers swamp the place but for only a few hours. Then it reverts back to the bustling Jamaican town that it is.
While the hotel is a basic it is good value. What makes it so recommendable though is the people who work there. Everyone was pleasant to talk to and very helpful when you need them.
I wish all hotels had staff who cared as much as those at Crystal Ripple Beach!

Room Tip: I was in room 206. I couldn't walk directly onto the beach but had a beautiful view of the sea a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo