“One word: BASIC”

Ranked #26 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
New York City, New York
“One word: BASIC”
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I booked this hotel through Expedia and the listing clearly stated it is beachfront property with a restaurant on site. Although I knew I was taking a risk, I still booked it. It turns out that there is NO restaurant on site. The housekeeper can cook a meal in the kitchen if you order it at least 24 hours in advance AND if they happen to have the food available. The day my plane arrived, I tried to order some food, but was told I would have to either walk about a mile out to the main road, take a taxi into the city or order delivery from "Pizza King." Naturally I was upset because I did not fly all the way to Jamaica to eat "Pizza King." It just so happens the young man working the evening shift felt sorry for me, so he walked out to the main road and bought me some chicken and rice. I tipped him a few dollars, which he said was fine with him. I did place my order from the menu I was provided for the next day, but low and behold the next day I was told they did not have any pancake mix or cheese for my eggs. In a nutshell, if you want food, you can order fish because the guy literally catches it out back at 6 am every morning, but if you want anything other than toast, coffee, juice and cereal, you are out of luck.

I will be fair, the property is very clean and the staff did everything humanly possible to try to make me comfortable, but not being able to get food without a hassle was a serious problem for me. The propery is all the way out buried near the White River where they have the tubing and rafts, so you have to go through Ocho Rios to get there. I took the shuttle from the airport and the driver could not find it. He had to stop at another property and be guided back to the property. The neighborhood was a bit scary upon arrival, but after a few days, I realized the people out lining the streets were the same ones working the rafts and tubes. They didn't seem to cause me any harm.

The beach was beautiful, but seemed a bit deserted at times. I did get a lot of sleep because there was not a lot of foot traffic, but I got tired of taking a taxi back and forth into the city every time I wanted to get out as there are no activities and NO swimming pool at this property. I made good use of the pool and water slide at Margaritaville in the city. As long as you order a drink or a meal, you can obtain a wrist band for unlimited access to their pool. One of the lifeguards at a neighboring hotel gave the telephone number of a local driver who charged me roughly $5 a trip instead of the usual $10, so I called him for most of my rides. I was allowed to use the telephone at the main desk because my cell phone was roaming.

The rooms are spacious. The small TV has basic cable and the air conditioning worked fine. They do have water, soda, chips and small snacks for sale for $1 US (or $100 dollars Jamaican). However, another major drawback was the $60 key deposit. They asked for cash and I only had my credit card, but they were willing to work with me.

So if I were to describe this property, I would just say it is "basic." For the price, you get a bed, a bathroom, beachfront and balcony. You are responsible for your own meals outside of the continental breakfast, transportation and entertainment. The neighborhood and location is iffy, but you get what you pay for.

Room Tip: Ask for a ground floor. They let out directly to the beach.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank NoJokeDee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed April 6, 2013

The staff here is very accommodating, but the appearance of this hotel is lacking it makes you feel so depressed. The hotel looks like run down and what is the word ghetto. I wouldn't waste my money to stay here ever again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 18, 2013

What a gem of a hotel!
The room was perfectly adequate though the showers were irregular sometimes.
Each room overlooks the beach and the beach and sea, sometimes, comes right up to the building. The little bay has trees as a back round and looks like Treasure Island.
While the hotel is north facing, the pier allows sunbathing all day long.
Even inJjanuary.
It is quite possible to walk into Ocho Rios but taxis are always available and not expensive.
Ocho Rios is a real bustling town, full of local activity. Always something to see.
Cruise ships discharging passengers swamp the place but for only a few hours. Then it reverts back to the bustling Jamaican town that it is.
While the hotel is a basic it is good value. What makes it so recommendable though is the people who work there. Everyone was pleasant to talk to and very helpful when you need them.
I wish all hotels had staff who cared as much as those at Crystal Ripple Beach!

Room Tip: I was in room 206. I couldn't walk directly onto the beach but had a beautiful view of the sea a...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank John A
Stevens Point, Wisconsin
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Picked it because it was cheaper than most hotels in the area over the New Year. Great views from our room and right on the water. The staff was GREAT, , helped us a lot and the Maintenance guy would set our chairs out on the beach every morning where ever we wanted them. Best hotel staff i had in the past two years.

The only thing I could complain about is that it was a bit hard to find. I had a rental car and I am from the us so I was driving on the wrong side of the road looking for this place. The road the hotel is on was not even on the map. I had to go to another hotel and ask how to get there. The road is under the bridge from the main road. The coordinates are correct off the website but it tells you to navigate off road. I will post a video of the drive it made us laugh every time we drove it. No signs either. Great hotel for the money just hard to find :) Ohh, buy food at the market 6 of 7 days the breakfast was only coffee, juice, toast and cereal.

Room Tip: No Elevators but best views on higher floors
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Toddxox
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed December 1, 2012

The hotel has so much potential but mgr lack ideas. I stayed there between 22-25 November 2012 and the quality of service was surely lacking.
1. Paint chipping of the walls
7. Bathroom faucet were dripping
8. Towels had strain on them
9. Wifi was limited to rooms near the office
10. Beach front wasn't cleaned every day
11. Security can be a major concern; strangers were walking pass your room on the ground floor.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank ttcom
Spanish Town, Saint Catherine, Jamaica
Reviewed September 3, 2012

The Hotel was kinna tricky to find at first but its a lil section between 2 properties with a nice friendly staff...Rooms are pretty basic but well kept, it was actually more than I had expected.
The ground floor which i stayed had easy access to the beach from the patio...Overall it wasn't a bad experience and I would recommend it to others...the only thing missing this hotel is a pool and better parking

Room Tip: Ground Floor to ave easy access to the beach Rooms 105-107 ...easy run out for late night skinny dip...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Norcott G
Maxine E, Assistant Manager at Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge, responded to this review, September 12, 2012
I must first say a big thank you for making it Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge.
I do hope you are planning to return to the property, and if there is anything we can do to make your stay a more memorable one please don't hesitate to let us know.
The reason for us not having a pool is that we have no space for one.
Thank you again for making it Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge.
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 25, 2012

My partner and I visit Jamaica yearly and always stayed at Crystal Ripple for the last 4 or 5 years it is not high class accommodation but it's staff is second to none. From the reception staff, security, cleaner and handyman across all of the staffing levels they are truly amazing.

The rooms are basic but clean and tidy and all rooms has this magnificent view of the beech which is breath taking.

I really hope that the manager values their staff because without them we would not continue returning to the same venue.

Room Tip: Make sure you book the ground floor rooms as you open your Patio door you step onto the Private empt...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Melissa M
It was a pleasure having you at Crystal Ripple Beach Lodge.
We look forward to having you again, and if there is anything special you would like for us to do ,whenever you decide to return please do not hesitate to call.