“Best Place Hands Down in Jamaica!”

and 1 more site!
The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 20 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 2, 2010

My boyfriend found the Blue House site after we decided to avoid the big, impersonal hotels in that area. We couldn't have made a better choice! The entire Blue House staff made for the most relaxing and enjoyable (and hilarious!) vacation I have taken. We were raving about every detail of our stay the entire way home: the people, the secluded nearby Reggae Beach, the cute cottage, and of course, the absolutely amazing food... The owner's Elise's brother, Darryl, makes yummy dishes all of which are truly local favorites. Elise would sit with us during meals (a pleasure!), which made us feel like we were part of their family.

We found exactly what we were looking for: a secluded vacation combined with an incredible learning experience. Hearing Elise's stories over meals about life on the island, meeting her family members, and interacting with the locals like our river tourguide Mr. Brown were all cherries on top of a big cake! I've already begun raving about our time there to friends and family here...

Find any excuse to go to Ocho Rios and more importantly to the Blue House -

• Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank ccondaxis

Reviewed February 22, 2010

My wife and I just returned from a visit to The Blue House, and we can not begin to describe how delightful our stay was. We were met in Montego Bay by our driver Patrick who was friendly, knowledgeable, and safe. Since we had not eaten lunch on arrival, Patrick proceeded to a local haven, Scotchie's, for pit barbecue (a must do while in Jamaica). Along the route Patrick discussed the history of the region, and pointed out numerous points of interest which we might want to explore during our stay. Very entertaining and helpful. Ask Elise, the Innkeeper, if she can arrange Patrick as your driver.

Once we arrived at The Blue House, we were greeted by Elise. Oh my, simply just like family or friends from that moment on. After a tour of the Main House, we settled down in the Cozy Cottage (just behind the inn). Beautiful setting, ideal for additional privacy for two, but also big enough with the adjoining room for an accompanying child.

We had read previous reviews about the cooking. All of those were confirmed when we sat down the first evening to one of Darryl's meals. Not like food at a big all-inclusive. Real Jamaican cooking, and was outstanding all week (we chose the Breakfast and Dinner option, and you will make a big mistake if you do not do the same).

And then there was Gloria, Elise's mother. Between Gloria and Elise, it is like you have two personal concierges to give you the history of Jamaica, the politics, the culture, where to go and what to do. Suggestions on shopping, museums, where to buy Blue Mountain coffee the cheapest, where to get a typical Jamaican lunch during the day. Everything you need to know on exploring the real Ocho Rios area, not the canned version you get from the big hotels. And they will either take you where you want to go, or arrange for Patrick to go with you. They made our stay educational and just plain fun.

Service was great. All of the staff were friendly and attentive, but not smothering. The grounds were beautiful and well kept, rooms emaculate, no concerns of safety. Near Couples San Souci, you are a short 15 minute walk to Reggae Beach (although they will offer a shuttle for you, you will probably really need to walk after a couple of Darryl's meals).

If you want a watered-down version of Jamaica, go to one of the large properties or all-inclusives. If you want to experience what it is like in real Jamaica, to learn about the history, culture and people of the area, you need to book The Blue House. Great service, great food, great people.

4  Thank ilmwil
Reviewed February 22, 2010

My husband I stayed at The Blue House for his 30th birthday. We are Jamaicans who live in Kingston and vacation often at the many resorts and villas in our Island and generally do not spare any expense when it comes to our vacations. So you must understand that when I say that the food was excellent, the service impeccable and the entire ambiance friendly yet not intrsuive, that I have a huge basis for comparison. Elise is a warm and kind individual committed to making your stay tailored and suited just for you. We stayed in the Upper Room and felt as if we were in another world, not only becuase the room itself was nice and cozy but also because of the quiet, relaxing atmoshpere that surrounded us. My husband is exteremely high-strung and in the seven years we have been together has NEVER relaxed fully on vacation, but this time he almost immediatly transformed into another person. I was blown away at how calm he was and content to "just be" and enjoy the time away. The last night we were there was my husband's birthday and Daryll prepared our favourite dishes. I am drooling just thinking about that dinner!! I recommend this place particularly for couples or individulas who need to just get away and unwind. Even if this is not your objective it is still ideal becuase it is near the town and so not far from night life and other activities.

Sanya Goffe
Kingston, Jamaica

4  Thank SMGPatience
Reviewed February 11, 2010

My wife and I visited the Blue House on a last minute trip planning adventure. We could not have been more pleased with our choice of this house. Daryl is a magnificent cook who brings all of the island tastes to your table every morning and evening. This is home style jamican cooking that is out of this world good! You wont find any of this at any of the resorts (resort food = bland watered down westernized version of Jamican food) The staff are friendly and completley attentive to guests needs at all times. Rooms are quaint and well appointed and clean. Sitting on the porch every morning watching the doctor birds sipping nector from the feeder as we eat akee , fresh fruit and home made bisquits with Guava jam is the only way to greet a new day in Jamaica. Dinner is optional but I would encourage to pay the extra and get in on that plan as the dinner is a wonderful and warm experience of good conversation and amazing food. Make sure and hit Scotchies for a great jerk lunch and check out Reggae Beach on a day the cruise ship is not in town.

3  Thank Daihlo
Reviewed January 18, 2010

I've rarely written one of these reviews, but after staying at the Blue House this past weekend with my husband, I am compelled to sing its praises. Let's begin with the food - consistently, the meals far surpassed anything you could ever get at a restaurant - either in Jamaica or I'd venture in the US. Daryl the chef has a gift and he uses it beautifully. Every meal was an adventure in Jamaican traditional cooking with an haute cuisine flair. Gorgeous presentation and amazing variety. And it's all personalized. He and Elise the owner made sure to get our food preferences well ahead of our arrival so she and Daryl could plan our meals according to our tastes, down to her daily trips to the fish, meat and fruit markets. As for Elise, I have never had such lovely, personal and warm treatment at any hotel or B&B. She joined us for meals and was a delight to talk with. She knows everything about the Island, its history, politics and its people and she's a fantastic resource as a result. And she really runs the place as if it's a joy to open her home - not just a business. Each night she had special drinks concocted for us and invited us to watch the exotic hummingbirds congregating outside her window. As for the house, it's really a small island mansion of sorts, with an individual bath for each room, lovely gardens in the back and a pool. Elise has great taste and the house is very clean (the staff is incredibly polite, trustworthy and a pleasure to see each day, by the way) and every aspect of it it designed with the guests in mind. Some rooms are larger than others, so if that makes a difference, let Elise know. Reggae Beach is very nice for day jaunts and we walked there with ease, though Elise will shuttle you via car over any time you like, which I thought was a great touch. We actualy splurged one day and bought a day pass to the resort across the street, and had a nice time, but the food really sucked, actually, and the beach was no different than Reggae Beach, just more tourists and worse service. The one thing to keep in mind is that the Blue House is a home, and you will be interacting with people, from Elise, to the staff, to the other guests, at meal times and such, so if you are looking for complete seclusion or the anonymity of a larger resort, where you don' have to chat with others, this is not the place for you. If you want a warm, affordable, lovely atmosphere, with the best cooking you can get in Jamaica, then this is definitely the right place for you. One last note, I recommend getting the breakfast and dinner option as there is very little in the way of good restaurants in Ocho Rios, and Daryl's cooking is so truly authentic and varied and delicious and fresh, it's so worth it to eat at the Blue House for as many meals as you can. We LOVED it and can't recommend the Blue House enough!

4  Thank Lmarent
Reviewed January 13, 2010

The Blue House is a great relazing place to stay.We stayed in Sanctuary room which had everything we needed, and an extremely comfortable enormous bed. Elise is an exceptional host, interesting, informative, but not intrusive. She has lots of suggestions of things to do depending on your tastes; the boat trip with Brown at White River was great and should not be missed. Breakfasts on the balcony or by the pool are an excellent way to start the day, each day's breakfast was different, and very tasty. Dinner was equally good, we enjoyed sitting round the table with the other guests and Elise. There was always a choice of main course and likes and dislikes are catered for. We also appreciated the tea and coffee station in the lounge.
All the staff were friendly and helpful and everyone was keen to make sure we were having a good time.

3  Thank lizzieWorcs
Reviewed December 9, 2009

Bed and Breakfast resorts usually are simple establishments offering a nights stay followed with a quick breakfast to get you going on your way. Not here. If I could take this resort and bring it with me to all my vacation spots, I would. The rooms are comfortable and homey with plenty of room and the ac will freeze you if thats your thing, you get an amazing breakfast outside on the second story balcolny overlooking the lush garden with plenty of wildlife to view such as the humming bird, better known as the doctor bird in jamaica. With the help of Elise ,owner, your day can be planed out, no need to preplan before the trip, she knows everyone! When returning from your day either at the private beach down the road, which is one of the best from what i have seen, or hiking to the blue hole and cranbrook, horesback riding, river tubing, zip line, dune buggy etc.... you return home and this is where the best part of the day, for me at least, starts. Darryl, the brother, is a self taught chef who picked up cooking from his mom, grandparents, friends and just living in Jamaica who cooks meals that you don't want to miss. After you try the first meal, whether its whole fish with lobster along with pumkin rice or chichen and pork BBQ along with shrimp rice or homemade dipping sauces, you plan your day around his dinners - not wanting to be late!! The side dishes alone are amazing. All and all the Blue House comes through, nothing can beat this and I recommend it! The Blue House made my vacation one of the top vacations I have taken, and I have taken plenty.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple