“Unique & Amazing Jamaican Experience”

The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Madison
“Unique & Amazing Jamaican Experience”
Reviewed October 6, 2009

When visiting Jamaica I was traveling with my girlfriend and two other couples and we were all staying at the Blue House. When pulling up to the house we were greeted in the drive way by Elise (the caretaker) and staff. First thing they offered us a drink and to take our luggage up to our rooms. We all had Rum Punch which was one of the better ones I drank while in Jamaica.
For the meals, I tend not to be that adventurous when it comes to eating food, but found that each meal had something for everyone. For example, when there was a fish dish there was also chicken. Every dish was superb, be open to try everything while there. You’ll be surprised how good everything tastes. Some of the dishes we had were: breakfast, Waffles with Pineapple Glaze, served with Jerk Sausage, Ackie and Saltfish (I wasn't the biggest fan), Eggs and Bacon (bacon was great) Dinner, Curry Goat, Seafood lasagna and parmesan chicken, Asian night which was really good. Every dinner was finished off with a good dessert, the chocolate won tons by far the best dessert I've had in a while.
The Staff was great, Elise is a good host. Always had information on what to do in the area and fun stories at the dinner table. The driver Elise found, Patrick, was the best guide/driver one could ask for. Very knowledgeable with Jamaica, where to visit, also made numerous stops for fresh fruit, and after our excursions had local snacks in the van, (sugar cane, sweetsop, coconut drops etc). The wait staff was awesome, Always making sure your drinks are full, always polite, asking how your day is going. Orlando and Mikey both enhanced the great time we had. The Chef Darryl definitely knows how to cook.
The rooms are quite cozy. The AC and ceiling fans quickly cool down the rooms after a hot day in the sun. The beds were comfortable. Showers plenty of pressure, Safes in the room, TV's with cable, It was nice having a computer with internet access. Only downside in the room there was no clock, a neighbor’s dog barked in the early morning one day out of the five for like 20 minutes but other than that very quiet.
The landscaping at the Blue House is nice. Hanging out in the Hammock at night was relaxing; You can see the ocean off the front deck. various flowers and fruit trees are on the property which are great to see in bloom. There are also a lot a Hummingbirds or Dr. Birds flying around and the feeder on the front deck is a great photo op. There are also some little lizards that run around that were fun to watch. The pool was a nice change of pace from the beach being warm and in the sun during the day.
Overall a great place, friendly, courteous and beautiful scenery. Would recommend to anyone that wants to experience Jamaica and in time hope to return myself

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank kdogg17

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Canada, Ontario
Reviewed September 23, 2009

We planned on staying 2 days at this B & B , but it was so fabulous we ended up
staying 5 !
I have never felt so comfratable away from home.
Elise and her staff were great.
Daryl ,the cook, prepared unbeleivable mouth watering meals !!
We are definately planning on going back .

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RenaeCanada_Ontario
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed September 4, 2009

When we arrived at The Blue House we were overwhelmed with the beauty of the house and the lush landscraping with an amazing and lovely variety of trees and plants. When Ms. Elise said, "This will be your home for the next six days," we couldn't have felt more welcome. We stayed in the aptly named Serenity Room which is comfortable and serene.

We started our day with a delicious cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee with the hummingbirds on the balcony. Breakfast started with fresh fruit followed by an authentic Jamaican entree such as ackee and saltfish, sardine fritters(Sherrie's favorite), and cassava pancakes. Darryl is a gifted chef who prepares a fantastic variety of Jamaican dishes for breakfast and dinner. All dishes were skillfully prepared and beautifully presented.

Who knew we would have a 5 star restaurant just 20 feet from our bedroom door? I joked that I needed one of the staff to wheel me away in a donkey cart when it was time to leave.

Elise is the consummate hostess who understands how to make her guests feel pampered and relaxed. Her well-trained staff is friendly and personable. I enjoyed kidding around with Orlando! By the way, the pool area proved to be our favorite hang-out.

If you want to experience Jamaica in a beautiful home with fabulous food, then spend some time at The Blue House. You'll be in good hands with Elise and her family and staff and their exceptional hospitality.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank shermeals
London%
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This is how it felt. Elise and her team made me feel so welcome and at home, especially as I was staying alone at the Blue House, visiting family and friends on the island. Every morning I awoke to a full platter of fresh fruits and some delicious Jamaican breakfasts (even though they would have gladly made me any other type of breakfast).

For me it is just what I ordered - a beautiful house in a beautiful setting, in a beautiful country, with great company in the form of fellow guests. My room was lovely and as pictured, with more than adequate space. I cannot stress enough how welcome I felt, to the point where I now refer to Elise as "Aunty" :-)

Treat yourself and stay at the Blue House...

• Liked — Welcoming staff and the food
  • Disliked — Creme de la creme would have been a beach within walking distance
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GingerOrange
broward
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My family and I arrived at the blue house on Monday, April 6, 2009. As I look around I could not believe my eyes, it's like paradise on top of a hill. There are a lot of beautiful flowers, fruits, and birds. Mrs. Elise greeted us (What a lovely lady); she is in charge on the blue house. The first night at the blue house was quiet an experience, because, as we all sat down to eat the food that was prepared for us. My taste buds could not believe the wonderful food that I was eating. It was so delicious and dessert was to die for. By the way, they have the best cook in Jamaica his name is Daryl (He is called the bare foot cook) you will understand if you go there. He is Mrs. Elise' brother. It is families run business and the family is wonderful. My wonderful wedding experience was on Wednesday, April 8, 2009. We relaxed all morning to get ready for our wedding. As it got closer to our wedding, I just could not wait to marry the man I love in the beautiful garden. As the, minister arrived and it was time to started the wedding. As we enter into the garden, it was such a lovely day. The minister began the ceremony. We said our vows and he bless the rings. After, it was over we sign our marriage certificate, the minister and the witnesses. We even had Mrs. Elise' cousin see us a wedding song "You light up my life". As, we sat down to cut our cake (Jamaican Rum Cake) under the beautiful flowers in the garden; it started to sprinkle as the sun was shining. The Jamaican say, "that means good luck on your marriage". Later on that night, we had what we requested for dinner: Lobster, conch, rice & peas, salad, champagne and more wedding cake. What a wonderful wedding day. Also, by the way, we had our on personal driver name Paul to take us around the island to where ever we want to go. He took us to go shopping in Ochio Rios on Monday. On Tuesday, he took us to the Martha Brae water rafting and Glistering Water boat ride. On Thursday, he took us to Kingston. Where we got to see the Bob Marley Museum, Strawberry Hill and we did some shopping. On Friday, we had to leave early in the morning. So, Mrs. Elise made sure we had fruit, toast and coffee before we left. And, she saw us off. What a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank prettypink1
Mexico
Reviewed June 19, 2009

The Blue House experience was truly wonderful. The staff was really attentive and they did all they could to make our wedding day a special one. This is the perfect place for a private, intimate wedding embedded within a lush, tropical atmosphere. Our wedding was held in the garden, and the package was exactly what we wanted for our day.

All the meals were excellent. The accommodations were ideal. Provisions were made for the little ones (9 months and 8 years). The Upper Room is an excellent honeymoon suite. The house, in general was very comfortable and had a real down-home feel. I would definitely return to The Blue House!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Jamexicana
Queens, NY
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We came to Jamaica to take part of my good friend's wedding. My sister and I stayed at the Blue House for about 7 nights. When we got to the Blue House, after 3 hour journey from the airport, we were greeted by Lesa. Who treated us to fruit punch and a yummy tuna sandwich for lunch. It's nice to get to your destination and just relax, not having to worry about where to eat or do next.

Breakfast and dinner was always delicious. Elise asked for a list of our favorite dishes, and Darryl cooked two of my fave, Goat curry and oxtail. For breakfast, Darryl cooked my sister's faves pancakes, french toast and waffles. All with a Jamaican twist. They were very accommodating too. When they found out that my sister is an early riser, they found her fave cereal and left it out. So she could have something to eat until real breakfast began. Also, whenever we were in the pool, someone would bring out a pitcher and glasses of water. How awesome is that? They also have inflatables for the youngins to play in the pool.

Speaking of youngins, I think a portion of the proceeds from the house goes towards supporting a poverty stricken family that Elise looks after. There's more info on the Bread Basket Ministries website but that's something to be acknowledged. On our stay there, we got to meet and hang out with the kids from the family. Elise goes out of the way for the family, by providing food, education, being a role model and trying to help them become self-sustainable.

One of the reasons why we chose to stay here was because it was different from the all inclusive hotels. We wanted to get a better sense of the country and try something different. They have similiar amenities that other accommodations would have. On many of the excursions, transportation is provided to and from the house. Lesa or Elise will also be able to help you with bookings. On our stay there, my sister and I did the following activities:

Reggae Beach - free, just 10mins away. As others have mentioned below, definitely worth it!
White River tubing and zipline combo with Chukka ($82 - 2hours) - totally worth it
Luminous lagoon ($20 admission, $80 ride with Paul for two ppl) - pretty cool if you're into seeing a natural phenomenom. Also, if you're brave enough to swim in bioluminescence muddy water, then it's worth it
The Blue Hole ($50) - This is a private tour done by the Blue House. To see a natural waterfall with private guides and no crowds is worth it. Haven't seen Dunns River falls so we can't compare. Also, they stop by Scotchies for lunch, which has the best jerk chicken and pork on the island.

While you're in Jamaica, definitely try these delicious foods & drink:
- Beef patty from Juicy Patties (downtown, $5 cab ride one way)
- Devon Stout flavour ice cream at Devon I Scream House (also downtown)
- Jerk chicken and pork with tamarand sauce at Scotches
- Rum punch at the blue house
- Red stripe

Our stay really exceeded our expectations. I miss laying and falling asleep in the hammock, and just kicking back to relax. Watching the hummingbirds stop by at breakfast. Playing Uno with the other guests. Our bed was made every afternoon. Also, Elise and Lesa gave us a ride to many places (beach, downtown, and even my friend's Church).

Overall, Lesa, Elise and the Blue House crew took great care of us. We got to see the 'Real Jamaica' thanks to the Blue House. We would definitely come back and refer others to stay for a few nights.

• Stayed May 2009