“Unsurpassed hospitality and fabulous cuisine”

The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
“Unsurpassed hospitality and fabulous cuisine”
Reviewed September 4, 2009

When we arrived at The Blue House we were overwhelmed with the beauty of the house and the lush landscraping with an amazing and lovely variety of trees and plants. When Ms. Elise said, "This will be your home for the next six days," we couldn't have felt more welcome. We stayed in the aptly named Serenity Room which is comfortable and serene.

We started our day with a delicious cup of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee with the hummingbirds on the balcony. Breakfast started with fresh fruit followed by an authentic Jamaican entree such as ackee and saltfish, sardine fritters(Sherrie's favorite), and cassava pancakes. Darryl is a gifted chef who prepares a fantastic variety of Jamaican dishes for breakfast and dinner. All dishes were skillfully prepared and beautifully presented.

Who knew we would have a 5 star restaurant just 20 feet from our bedroom door? I joked that I needed one of the staff to wheel me away in a donkey cart when it was time to leave.

Elise is the consummate hostess who understands how to make her guests feel pampered and relaxed. Her well-trained staff is friendly and personable. I enjoyed kidding around with Orlando! By the way, the pool area proved to be our favorite hang-out.

If you want to experience Jamaica in a beautiful home with fabulous food, then spend some time at The Blue House. You'll be in good hands with Elise and her family and staff and their exceptional hospitality.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
5 Thank shermeals

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
London%
Reviewed August 24, 2009

This is how it felt. Elise and her team made me feel so welcome and at home, especially as I was staying alone at the Blue House, visiting family and friends on the island. Every morning I awoke to a full platter of fresh fruits and some delicious Jamaican breakfasts (even though they would have gladly made me any other type of breakfast).

For me it is just what I ordered - a beautiful house in a beautiful setting, in a beautiful country, with great company in the form of fellow guests. My room was lovely and as pictured, with more than adequate space. I cannot stress enough how welcome I felt, to the point where I now refer to Elise as "Aunty" :-)

Treat yourself and stay at the Blue House...

• Liked — Welcoming staff and the food
  • Disliked — Creme de la creme would have been a beach within walking distance
  • Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank GingerOrange
broward
Reviewed June 22, 2009

My family and I arrived at the blue house on Monday, April 6, 2009. As I look around I could not believe my eyes, it's like paradise on top of a hill. There are a lot of beautiful flowers, fruits, and birds. Mrs. Elise greeted us (What a lovely lady); she is in charge on the blue house. The first night at the blue house was quiet an experience, because, as we all sat down to eat the food that was prepared for us. My taste buds could not believe the wonderful food that I was eating. It was so delicious and dessert was to die for. By the way, they have the best cook in Jamaica his name is Daryl (He is called the bare foot cook) you will understand if you go there. He is Mrs. Elise' brother. It is families run business and the family is wonderful. My wonderful wedding experience was on Wednesday, April 8, 2009. We relaxed all morning to get ready for our wedding. As it got closer to our wedding, I just could not wait to marry the man I love in the beautiful garden. As the, minister arrived and it was time to started the wedding. As we enter into the garden, it was such a lovely day. The minister began the ceremony. We said our vows and he bless the rings. After, it was over we sign our marriage certificate, the minister and the witnesses. We even had Mrs. Elise' cousin see us a wedding song "You light up my life". As, we sat down to cut our cake (Jamaican Rum Cake) under the beautiful flowers in the garden; it started to sprinkle as the sun was shining. The Jamaican say, "that means good luck on your marriage". Later on that night, we had what we requested for dinner: Lobster, conch, rice & peas, salad, champagne and more wedding cake. What a wonderful wedding day. Also, by the way, we had our on personal driver name Paul to take us around the island to where ever we want to go. He took us to go shopping in Ochio Rios on Monday. On Tuesday, he took us to the Martha Brae water rafting and Glistering Water boat ride. On Thursday, he took us to Kingston. Where we got to see the Bob Marley Museum, Strawberry Hill and we did some shopping. On Friday, we had to leave early in the morning. So, Mrs. Elise made sure we had fruit, toast and coffee before we left. And, she saw us off. What a wonderful wedding and honeymoon.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank prettypink1
Mexico
Reviewed June 19, 2009

The Blue House experience was truly wonderful. The staff was really attentive and they did all they could to make our wedding day a special one. This is the perfect place for a private, intimate wedding embedded within a lush, tropical atmosphere. Our wedding was held in the garden, and the package was exactly what we wanted for our day.

All the meals were excellent. The accommodations were ideal. Provisions were made for the little ones (9 months and 8 years). The Upper Room is an excellent honeymoon suite. The house, in general was very comfortable and had a real down-home feel. I would definitely return to The Blue House!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank Jamexicana
Queens, NY
Reviewed May 31, 2009

We came to Jamaica to take part of my good friend's wedding. My sister and I stayed at the Blue House for about 7 nights. When we got to the Blue House, after 3 hour journey from the airport, we were greeted by Lesa. Who treated us to fruit punch and a yummy tuna sandwich for lunch. It's nice to get to your destination and just relax, not having to worry about where to eat or do next.

Breakfast and dinner was always delicious. Elise asked for a list of our favorite dishes, and Darryl cooked two of my fave, Goat curry and oxtail. For breakfast, Darryl cooked my sister's faves pancakes, french toast and waffles. All with a Jamaican twist. They were very accommodating too. When they found out that my sister is an early riser, they found her fave cereal and left it out. So she could have something to eat until real breakfast began. Also, whenever we were in the pool, someone would bring out a pitcher and glasses of water. How awesome is that? They also have inflatables for the youngins to play in the pool.

Speaking of youngins, I think a portion of the proceeds from the house goes towards supporting a poverty stricken family that Elise looks after. There's more info on the Bread Basket Ministries website but that's something to be acknowledged. On our stay there, we got to meet and hang out with the kids from the family. Elise goes out of the way for the family, by providing food, education, being a role model and trying to help them become self-sustainable.

One of the reasons why we chose to stay here was because it was different from the all inclusive hotels. We wanted to get a better sense of the country and try something different. They have similiar amenities that other accommodations would have. On many of the excursions, transportation is provided to and from the house. Lesa or Elise will also be able to help you with bookings. On our stay there, my sister and I did the following activities:

Reggae Beach - free, just 10mins away. As others have mentioned below, definitely worth it!
White River tubing and zipline combo with Chukka ($82 - 2hours) - totally worth it
Luminous lagoon ($20 admission, $80 ride with Paul for two ppl) - pretty cool if you're into seeing a natural phenomenom. Also, if you're brave enough to swim in bioluminescence muddy water, then it's worth it
The Blue Hole ($50) - This is a private tour done by the Blue House. To see a natural waterfall with private guides and no crowds is worth it. Haven't seen Dunns River falls so we can't compare. Also, they stop by Scotchies for lunch, which has the best jerk chicken and pork on the island.

While you're in Jamaica, definitely try these delicious foods & drink:
- Beef patty from Juicy Patties (downtown, $5 cab ride one way)
- Devon Stout flavour ice cream at Devon I Scream House (also downtown)
- Jerk chicken and pork with tamarand sauce at Scotches
- Rum punch at the blue house
- Red stripe

Our stay really exceeded our expectations. I miss laying and falling asleep in the hammock, and just kicking back to relax. Watching the hummingbirds stop by at breakfast. Playing Uno with the other guests. Our bed was made every afternoon. Also, Elise and Lesa gave us a ride to many places (beach, downtown, and even my friend's Church).

Overall, Lesa, Elise and the Blue House crew took great care of us. We got to see the 'Real Jamaica' thanks to the Blue House. We would definitely come back and refer others to stay for a few nights.

• Stayed May 2009
3 Thank brikee
Philadelphia
Reviewed May 2, 2009

My wife and I just returned from an unforgettable 8-night vacation at The Blue House B&B in Ocho Rios, Jamaica. My wife is 6 months pregnant and we were looking for one last relaxing getaway before the baby arrives. From the moment we arrived, I knew we made the perfect choice.

The grounds of The Blue House were immaculate and everything about our stay there was top notch. The staff was incredibly helpful and friendly and the owner, Elise, treated us like family. Elise's brother Darryl is the house chef and his cooking made us never want to eat anywhere else. Between breakfast and dinner, every bite we ate was spectacular. Elise and Darryl knew we wanted to try all of the local cuisine and we were presented with a fantastic meal at every sitting. Darryl went out of his way to make sure that each meal suited our tastes and everything was DELICIOUS! Oh, how I miss his cooking :)

When we wanted to relax we relaxed, and when we wanted to explore the town we were always able to thanks to Lesa. She had a great amount of knowledge about the area and made sure that we saw everything we had asked about. We checked out some of the local beaches, had lunch at Scotchie's and the Ranch, shopped for local spices and sauces at the supermarket, and did so much more. From going to Reggae Beach almost every day to our awesome day-trip to Kingston and the Blue Mountains, Lesa made sure everything was perfect. She is an excellent guide and now a great friend as well.

Elise knew we wanted to visit the Blue Hole and we went on our first full day. The natural splendor of this secluded area made it the one of the most stunning places I have ever been. Milky turquoise water, lush forest, and levels of waterfalls and natural pools...I could've spent all day there. It's the kind of place that I hope stays a secret and a trip the Blue Hole is an absolute must!

Elise and the staff at The Blue House provided us with so much more than just a place to stay. We met some terrific people, had great conversations, and were shown a side of Jamaica that few people get to see. I would like to publicly thank Elise for providing us with a phenomenal experience that was so much more than we could've ever expected....Thanks Elise :)

Not only do my wife and I plan to return one day, but we are sending my parents there for their 60th birthdays later this year. I cannot recommend The Blue House enough and I hope you enjoy your time there as much as we did.

Josh and Michele (Philadelphia, PA)

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank kubrick215
New York, NY
Reviewed April 4, 2009

If your idea of an ideal vacation is staying in the gorgeous tropical home of an old friend who cooks delicious, locally inspired meals, shares great conversation, helps you choose the sights to see, but mostly leaves you to your own devices, then the Blue House will be perfect. My boyfriend and I were desperate to relax, and we were delighted that The Blue House lived up to the TripAdvisor reviews and was a great place to do just that. We both enjoyed the best vacation we have ever had, which had much to do with the hospitality of the Blue House.

Both of us have experienced B & B horrors, however, there was none to be found here. Elise Yap, the resident owner, and her incredible staff, keep a beautifully furnished, very clean, very well-kept home. Elise upgraded us to the Upper Room when we arrived, which brought tears to our eyes as we surveyed the large, well-appointed, tasteful, and very comfortable bed and bath. It was a lovely, unexpected gift for first-time visitors. Every day, the room was cleaned to a sparkling degree, even after sandy trips to the beach left a bit of debris here and there. The walk in closet easily held all of our things, so that we could enjoy the room’s décor uncluttered.

The public areas of the house are very comfortable, with beautiful views of the mountains. My boyfriend and I enjoyed grabbing a couple of Red Stripes from the honor bar and playing a little guitar in the living room as the sun went down. Outside, there is a beautifully designed garden filled with tropical flowers, birds, and a swimming pool. We sat in the hammock one afternoon and enjoyed watching the hummingbirds taste the many flowers above us.

The food at the Blue House is completely incredible. There was not a single meal that was a clunker during our entire stay. Before we arrived, Elise asked us what sort of foods we like and don’t like, and we found that our wishes were met each day with a stunning amount of (successful) creativity. Local favorites with a twist are prepared with fresh ingredients each day. Darryl, Elise’s brother, is the talented chef, and a really nice guy. He leaves no detail to chance. Even the breakfasts are spectacular. The fresh fruit is to die for!

One of the best things about staying at the Blue House is that Elise is extremely knowledgeable about the island and the many sights to see, and she has a knack for helping people find what they are looking for. We had a whole list of things we wanted to experience while we were there, from swimming with dolphins to visiting Dunn’s River Falls and going to the beach. Elise gave us terrific advice about where and when to go and how to get there, providing us with car rides and reservations. She just seemed to take care of things, effortlessly, and we were so grateful to her for relieving us of the burden of having to figure it all out ourselves each day.

In the evenings at dinner, we loved the family style meal punctuated by Elise’s intelligent, unpretentious conversation. She has enjoyed a full life, and it was really fun to hear her stories and share ideas with her. Even though our fellow travelers did not have a lot in common, I think we all enjoyed sitting down to meals together, not in small part due to Elise’s ability to bring people together.

The Blue House was truly delightful. We can’t wait to return, which hopefully won’t be before too long. We started to miss it as soon as we stepped off of the property!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple