The Blue House Boutique Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
NY
“Enjoy!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

We just came back from a week at the Blue House during Christmas. First of all we want to confirm all of the excellent comments that have been written in previous reviews, including the great hospitality and amazing food.

We stayed with our little daughter at the cozy cottage for a week. The cottage is located at the back of the house in the middle of a very nice setting. We had plenty of room inside and outside the cottage and really enjoyed the hammock and the hummingbirds flying around.

From the first moment we arrived at the Blue House we felt ‘home’. Elise welcomed us as we knew each other for years and, although we arrived in the late evening, we got served one of the many delicious meals prepared by Daryl. Everyday we would enjoy our breakfast (a real jamaican breakfast if you are adventurous) on the terras and afterwards enjoy our time at the lovely secluded swimming pool or go out to see some of Jamaica’s beauty. Elise would always make sure we would get wherever we wanted to go and advice us on some activities to do.
Bottom line: we really enjoyed our stay at the blue house and it definitively surpassed our (high) expectations.

• Liked — hospitality and the excellent food
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank yipiehayee

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2008

I was desperate for a relaxing break and some sun. I booked the Blue House after seeing the reviews, I have to say I agree with all the comments, this was my best holiday ever.

Eloise goes out of her way to make your holiday special, I felt as if I had won the lottery and bought myself a fabulous private villa. I had a tour of the different rooms in the hotel and they are all lovely.

The pool area was absolutely exquisite, and I stayed there almost the whole week. My hosts were not put out by this at all, and whilst most people tend to go out an about during the day, I was happy to chill with a book in the peace and quiet. Fruit punch on tap, with ice, and the occasional unobtrusive request to ensure there was nothing I needed.

They finally managed to coax me out to the private beach, it was lovely and I wish I had spent more time there on reflection, but no regrets, this place ticked all the boxes!

The food is wonderful and I have never before received a request from a hotel asking for my food preferences, before I arrive. They obviously listened! They served up my favourite foods Jamaicanised!! and when I mentioned one day that my favourite fruit was pears, the next day they were on the menu! That's service Blue House style.

I was on holiday alone, I have stayed at some of the best hotels in the world, but come evening, you sit at a table and eat alone, not at the Blue House when Eloise hosts dinner for those who want it, it was great fun to meet up with the other house guests, the Bread & Butter pudding Jamaican style is the best sweet I have ever tasted, and despite eating plenty, the food was fresh, nutritious and I lost weight. Can anyoneask for more???

I will be back!!!

• Liked — The hospitality
  • Disliked — Nothing really
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
Toronto
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2008

What a place, seriously, if I started writing about my AMAZING experience there I would have pages of scripture. There is nothing for me to tell you, if you’re going to Jamaica you MUST stay at the Blue House in Ocho Rios, and that’s it!

Friendly, cozy, clean, and you get the entire Jamaican feel. Absolutely beautiful! 6 start service and food quality.

Do yourself a favor GO TO THE BLUE HOUSE, stay at least 2 nights!

You will NOT regret it!

I Miss the food already! :(

Check the pictures! They're worth 1,000 words...

• Liked — The Family Feel
  • Disliked — ...Hu? NOTHING!
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
Boca Raton FL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2008

I have never stayed at a B&B before until now and I must honestly say...I was super glad that I chose The Blue House in Ocho Rios. The drive off the main road to the house revealed the most inviting, lush landscaped oasis that is located in the midst of everything, yet tucked away privately.

The host Elise, and her brother Daryl the Chef were just amazing and made my friend and me felt like Princesses. There is the main house and then there is a cottage behind the house that was private with a front patio surrounded by several well kept tropical flowers and plants.

THe service was superb and the food is to die for. Breakfast is served whenever you wake up, so you can sleep in all you want or have an early start. Daryl the Chef will make anything you ask for. The entire staff was accommodating and always at your beckon call.

I had a great time and will definitely stay at the Blue House on my next trip.

Thank you Elise and Daryl for making me feel at home away from home.

Kimone

• Liked — Service, food, other guests, room.
  • Disliked — can't think of anything
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with friends
Barcelona, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

When we first thought about visiting Jamaica, the options available were mainly "all inclusive" big hotels on the beach. In spite of travelling with a 5 year old child and being tempted by the "kids clubs", it was not quite what we wanted. We felt that Jamaica is neither an all inclusive paradise nor a dangerous crime scene, so we tried to find a place that would help us to discover the real Jamaica as well as relax and go to the beach.
The Blue House in Ocho Rios was the right choice!
The owners, Elise and Darryl Yap, are wonderful hosts. They showed us some hidden treasures and were always available to take us here and there. During our conversations with Elise, we learned a lot about Jamaica, its traditions, history, ways of living, habits, points of interest, and more.
Through Elise's charity work, we had the opportunity to get in touch with the local community, visit villages and families and their local church. Also to be aware of the daily difficulties that Jamaican people have to deal and live with as well as the good things. Nature is a gift in Jamaica.
At the same time, we had a superb time relaxing at the fantastic swimming pool or at the cool Reggae Beach.
We chose the package breakfast and dinner and were not disappointed - a combination of Jamaican and Chinese gourmet food, prepared by Darryl, is a fantastic experience of flavours and a delight to taste. Breakfast was always different and very good, with a lot of care put into it.
We staid at the "Cozy Cottage", with plenty of room for the 2 of us plus the child. It is located in the garden, outside the main house, and we think that it is ideal for families with small children. Our child had a fantastic time and was spoilt in all aspects by Elise and Darryl.
Visiting Elise and Darryl at The Blue House "feels like home in Jamaica". Thank you for being so kind to us.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank MilaPrimo
Ft Lauderdale, Fl
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2008

We just returned from five nights at The Blue House in Ocho Rios. From the moment we arrived at this charming, luxury B&B ( past midnight due to a three hour flight delay), we were made to feel like old friends or family. We stayed in The Upper Room, a large deep periwinkle-colored refuge with an adjoining large bathroom featuring a rain-forest shower. Fresh flowers adorned the room, towels folded in decorative shapes with floral petals appeared on our kingsize bed, and wraparound windows faced luxuriant foliage and the pool.

We chose the breakfast-dinner plan and were thrilled with the food. Darryl, the "barefoot chef" has gifted hands! He prepared food according to our personal dietary choices ( we don't eat seafood or pork) and was able to wow us with typical Jamaican delights, even with our dietary restrictions. Breakfast was served alfresco on the upstairs balcony ( lovely!) Dinners were served in the lovely dining area facing the mountains. Elise, our hostess has a tremendous gift of hospitality. We were blessed by her presence at our meals, and learned much about her native Jamaica, and about her heart for the poor among her people.

Elise accompanied us to her neighbor Betty's yard where we encountered an "orchid paradise". Betty is president of the Orchid Society and has a yard filled with perhaps 10,000 orchids of all colors and varieties. I have perhaps 10 orchid plants in my backyard here in Ft. Lauderdale, but never in my life have I seen anything like this! To top it all off, Betty welcomes guests of The Blue House to take a dip in the White River that runs behind her house: a crystal clear cool ( but not cold) pool that was truly heavenly!

Elise personally took us to Reggae Beach, extended hospitality to some friends who stopped by to see us, and asked her brother to take us to The Blue Hole - an out of the way, local swimming hole that again seemed like the Garden of Eden with its beautiful waterfall and natural "jacuzzis". One of the local boys asked if we would like to see another waterfall. Darryl went with us as we trecked through the forest for about 25 minutes until we came upon a hidden waterfall and another heavenly blue pool. We jumped in and the refreshing was phenomenal.

Darryl personally escorted us to a local supermarket to buy Blue Mountain coffee ( very smooth and delicious), and to a local place to try their Jamaican beef and chicken patties. Does this sound like individual attention?? We have traveled all over the world, and have seldom experienced such unique, giving hosts!!!

Elise goes out of her way to "customize" the stay of her guests. We are so glad that we stayed at The Blue House when we did, because when word gets out about this place, there will be a huge waiting list for a room ( there are only five - each one very charming and unique.)

One more treat: When you lie in the lovely blue hammock near the pool, hummingbirds of all colors and varieties come to visit you and partake of the sugar-solution provided for them.

• Liked — the personalized service and general excellence
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ShellLady4god
columbus
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2008

The Blue House in Ocho Rios was nothing short of sublime! The owners (Yap family) were very gracious and hospitable. The food was 5 star, and the accomodations were stunning! I checked numerous web sites in the search for a suitable place to stay; from Mo Bay, Negril, And Ochi, this was the only place I saw where every reviewer gave it positive marks. It deserved them.

• Liked — The rooms were luxurious!
  • Disliked — No complaints.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple