“Raw Diamond...”

Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
nyc
“Raw Diamond...”
Reviewed April 28, 2008

The Blue House in Ocho Rios...

It was cold and dreary in New York and it had been a long year with lifes ups and downs...so..a dear friend of mine and I decide we should go to Jamaica together for the first time. I had my reasons and she had hers...

So I searched on the internet for something different than a hotel (normally, that wouldve scared me but...) I was led to the Blue House in Ocho Rios and I thought...interesting...a peaceful house with a personal touch...Something about the pictures beckoned to me and when I spoke with Elise (the owner of this little piece of paradise) I knew this could be the place...

She was kind and I could feel her warmth right through the phone, and her care about our dietary needs were so detailed. Ms Elise went out of her way to make this stay memorable and she answered all and any questions I had about where to go, things to see and do, massages and so on...

I cant swim but i felt safe in the pool and looked up at the sky.. on my back no less (Im a water chicken at heart..) and the sounds of this place...its no less than hypnotic. Its as though the earth and all its little creatures were singing to me with a mixture of local music and soft laughter...Its hard to describe...You have to experience it for yourself...

I got some of the best sleep there. The little humming birds greet you in the morning along with the smell of a lovely breakfast prepared by Daryl...(hey... if he's missing, you'll find him chained to my stove in NYC) All the meals were prepared with love and so full of island flavor...I wanted to wrap it up and take it with me on the plane ride home...

I would say more but its best discovering this little diamond for yourself...If you dont want the feeling of a large hotel, but you want great food, pool and personable touch in a home setting, then you may want to check this place out...Im glad I did...sincerely, Lisa

Stayed December 2007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2008

This was our last stop, finishing off our tour of Jamaica. We didn't stay in any of the all-inclusive and chose very specific places to stay. The Blue House was by far the best place we stayed at. It was just truly wonderful.
We felt welcome as soon as we arrived. Almost as if we were visiting some very distant family that we hadn't seen in years. Elise & her Mum were there to greet us and showed us to our most exquisite little cottage. The room was so tastefully decorated!
We got the usual arrival drink, but what we also got, and that was a first, is our hostess sitting with us and chatting and actually interested in our little adventures. This was home. Only better, because Darryl was cooking!!! The best chef on the island if you ask us.
The house is enormous and everything is just perfect. The decoration, the furniture, the gardens, the pool... yes, everything looks really nice (I would love my house to look like this one!) and is kept very clean by the lovely staff.
Elise gave us a lot of tips about the area, advised us to go and try the patties, from Juicy patties, which we got addicted to!! She also introduced us to some of her friends. It was fantastic, I hadn't felt so relaxed in a long time. And when I mentioned having my nails painted, it was absolutely not a problem, and a charming lady came to pamper me!
You can also stay for dinner. Get ready for a treat! We had some of the best food I have ever tasted there. Breakfast are also fantastic: you get to choose what you want!

We had a great time. I almost cried when we left. I'm really hoping we'll come back to visit and get more of Darryl's home made punch!

• Liked — It felt like home
  • Disliked — leaving....
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
Reviewed March 12, 2008

When planning our trip to Jamaica, the only thing we were clear about was that we didn't want to stay in an all-inclusive. Then we stumbled across reviews of the Blue House on Trip Advisor , and suddenly we knew where we wanted to stay! But once it was booked I started to wonder - could it really be that good?

Well, I can assure you it can and is! We had a wonderful stay here and our only regret about choosing it was that we hadn't booked for longer ;) Everyone who stays here seems to enthuse about the hospitality of Elise and Darryl, and rightly so. We really felt as if we were staying with friends rather than as paying guests in a B&B. Nothing was too much trouble - a lift to church or to a local restaurant, a call to pre-book an excursion, checking shipping schedules so we could avoid the crowds at Dunn's River Falls, and so on.

Darryl's cooking is another plus point. From the first evening, when we were welcomed with a dinner of curried goat and rice and peas, we realised we were in for a few treats. Both breakfasts and dinners here afforded us lots of welcome opportunities to sample Jamaican specialities - ackee & saltfish or rundown for breakfast, conch or that goat curry for dinner. We also enjoyed a lovely Chinese meal one evening. We HAD planned to only eat a couple of dinners here and go out for the others, but the combination of tasty food and good company was too hard to resist!

But in enthusing about the hosts, I should also mention the house itself, which is very stylish and set in a pretty garden. Maybe its distance from town (about 2 miles) is a small drawback, but more than compensated for by the quieter location - apart from the crickets and frogs, that is! My favourite spot was the terrace, in the early morning before breakfast, with a mug of Darryl's strong coffee to wake me up and the hummingbirds flitting among the blossoms :) And our room, the "Sanctuary", lived up to its name: cool and comfortable after a day's sightseeing on the island.

An added bonus of staying somewhere like this is that you meet like-minded travellers. Within a few hours we had hit it off with Monica and Javier (see their review here too!) and with Michael, and had agreed to do some of our sightseeing together - which added to the fun and reduced the costs. And finally, a special mention for Dave, who drove us around so safely and was great company on those outings.

Thanks to all for a great stay,
Sarah & Chris

• Liked — The hosts, the food and the garden setting
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple