“Home away from home”

Ranked #1 of 19 Ocho Rios B&B and Inns
New York
“Home away from home”
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful 5 night stay at The Blue House which is our seventh stay at this property. We have traveled to Jamaica since the mid 1970s and experienced the whole island and its sights and accommodations. Several years ago we happened upon the rave reviews for The Blue House on Trip Advisor and decided to try it. Once we stayed there for the first time we were hooked by its beauty and location in the scenic hills above Ocho Rios. Needless to say we have been returning there at least once a year to experience this paradise. The rooms are beautifully decorated with a great pool in a tropical garden. However the real beauty and heart of the place is the innkeeper, Elise, who is a great conversationalist and human dynamo. She knows every corner of Jamaica and its people and culture and whatever you desire to do on this tropical island she will steer you in the right direction. The food is gourmet style prepared by her brother, Darryl. My wife and I still salivate about these great dishes. The staff is top notch and go out of their way to make your stay pleasant and enjoyable. If you want to experience the real Jamaica rather than the sterile conformity of an all inclusive then The Blue House is the place for you.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank monkeymommy35

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2013

it is very expensive. the delightful gardens are very calming and the pool refreshing,. we loved watching the humming birds at the feeders . the food prepared by Darryl is really great and plentiful and he bent over backwards to cater for 2 vegetarians and a coeliac. thank you Darryl.
Elise was very welcoming and helpful. the rooms are comfy but the bathroom a little in need of help.
we enjoyed eating with the fellow guests who were most interesting and if there were none Elise joined us for supper and entertained us with her stories.
we would recommend it highly if you love good food.
there is a lovely river down the road with a walk along the bank for about half a mile.

1 Thank tuk585
Vernon, Ontario
Reviewed March 2, 2013

I'm not sure where to begin, but here goes ... We spent 12 days at The Blue House from Feb. 14 - 25th. I have been to Jamaica 10 times before this trip so I know what to expect. We started out as a group of 10 (booked entire place) and slowly dwindled down to just the two of us for the final 4 days. We had been dealing with Elise for a full year, planning our wedding and was unsure how things would turn out, let me start by saying that everything was done to perfection, even beyond my expectatons. The wedding was like a magical fairy tale! One of our guests told me she thought she was in a dream! Elise and her entire staff worked their buts off to ensure all our plans went without a hitch. When we woke up to a rainy forecast on the day of the wedding, Elise even had plan "b" and plan "c" in place, if we desired to make a change, to ensure we would be happy, regardless of the rain. We did stick with our original plan (wedding at the waterfalls and the reception back at The Blue House). It was nothing short of spectacular! They scrambled to remove all the furniture from the living room area to accommodate our dinner and our band inside - quite a remarkable feat!

The balance of our time at The Blue House was also very wonderful. Darryl is an amazing chef and there was always something to please everybody. When we were down to the final two (my husband and myself), Darryl planned all of our meals especially to please our North American taste buds. There was always WAY too much food and many, many choices. I was happy to leave before I couldn't fit into any of my clothes. We ate more food in 12 days there, then we would normally eat in a month or more at home! My husband and I both had birthdays there, and special considerations were made for both of our celebration dinners!

Elise and her staff truly do treat their guests like family. Elise made a special order for young coconuts just for me, because she knew that I love the cold jelly, and the day before we left, went out of her way to get me festival mix in a box to take home (another of my favorite jamaican foods!)

We stayed in the upper room for the first week and then moved into the cottage for our last 4 days alone. We did see all the rooms as they were occupied by our friends and the whole place is very clean and comfortable. We found the bed in the upper room a bit more comfortable then the one in the cottage.

I could go on and on and on about how fabulous this place is, but I think you get the point. Feel free to message me if you have any questions. Elise, Darryl and here entire staff go out of their way to ensure you have a vacation that is custom-tailored to your wants and desires. A big thanks to all .... Elise, Darryl, Orlando, Shanna, Samantha, Carline, Yvonne and anybody else who I may have missed. You all are so gracious and special. Thank you again for making our wedding day and our whole vacation, so amazing - everybody was awestruck! I will add some photos to this review as soon as I have some!

Room Tip: The cozy cottage is exactly that ... a very cozy cottage - very private.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank valerie-tom
Port Perry, Canada
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Elise is a welcoming host....Greeting us with warmth like we were family returning to our beautiful home. Lovely rooms , beautiful gardens and attentive staff. Darryl is a wonderful cook providing something delicious for every taste. After a busy day enjoying the countless activities nearby you can return to a wonderful meal or a quiet swim in the pool. Better than home !!!

2 Thank Kathleen H
Quebec, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed February 24, 2013

What to say! Darryl, Elise and the staff were awesome! This was home away from home, but with excellent service included. The food was amazing, the place was well kept and everyone was so friendly... I highly recommend this place!

3 Thank Bornt0befree
New York City, New York
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Simply put, this is the only place I will stay in Jamaica for any trips to come. The location is tough to beat and the accommodations are spacious, comfortable and well kept. Financially, it is a great value! However, even more importantly, the hospitality is outstanding! Ms. Elise, Ms. Gloria, Daryl and staff (Orlando, Carlene, Yvonne, Mikey) are the consummate hosts and were all incredibly kind and welcoming. Upon arrival, we were warmly welcomed and shown to our room. It was of impeccable standards, from the linens to the decor and design. Comfortable, clean, suitably equipped, spacious and private, with a luxurious bathroom and great wardrobe space. What more do you need.

The property has beautiful surroundings and a very inviting swimming pool area where we relaxed on super-comfortable sun loungers. The tropical gardens are perfectly manicured and gave a real sense of privacy. What a splendid scenery to wake up to each morning.

Moving onto the food. On a scale of 1- 10, I give it an 11. I am having a little trouble finding the words to describe the orgasmic experience. Enough said!

All in all, we really enjoyed our stay. It felt like our home away from home! I will continue to recommend The Blue House to anyone who is considering a vacation to the area. If you do not want to stay in a touristy hotel, and want to experience the culture that Jamaica has to offer, then The Blue House is your only option.
Nicole G.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank 312Beng11
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Darryl ruined my diet but it was worth it. Man can cook! Don't eat for a month before you go! Don't eat out at night. Stay "home" at the Blue House and eat because you can't find better than Darryl! Oh yes and Miss Elise is a wonderful and charming host.
Oh you want to know about the rooms and location? They are near Darryl is all you need to know. Oh sorry. It's a lovely private home converted to a B&B. It's on a "suburban" street near the white river. It is comfortable, clean and perfectly ideal if you just want to hang out, go to the beach, check out town and come "home" to eat. Reggae Beach is not far and it is EXCELLENT. I am Jamaican and feel cheated that I never knew of this beach in all my years there. I loved that Blue House attracts local Jamaican holiday makers so you get a real feel for the island--you are not hanging out with drunken frat boys (not that anything's wrong with that). The pool and gardens were very lovely and clean and well kept. We had the back cottage and it was a nice little oasis filled with leafy tropical plants and flowers attended by hummingbirds and lizards. The bed was comfortable and the cottage was simply charming! At night it's so quiet you get to hear the symphony of nature. It will amaze you!

Elise trains local young men and women to be hospitality workers. They are friendly and at times you have to give them a little leeway, but she's doing great work there.

I chose this place because of the reviews here and I hope others reading this know that the previous reviewers are not lying. It's not a fancy schmancy hotel. It is homey. It's like the real Jamaica. And it's time to support local business so that the money stays in Jamaica and not leave the island.

I can not wait to go back. I have been telling all my family and friends about the Blue House. Darryl, we are preparing our bellies!

Room Tip: I only saw the cottage and it's perfect for a small family with kids. The main house where we a...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family