“Bit dusty”

UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Bit dusty”
Reviewed December 31, 2006

We went on these quad bikes last year ..... first thing i got to say is the staff are really amazing. They will look after you alot, drop and pick you up from hotels even. The guy who picked us up said he was from Canada, so if you ever read this, you're a cool guy!

Maybe it's because i've never been on a quad before ... but it really didn't particularly grab me. They are quite heavy, and it's quite hard work going up.

You begin by driving around in circles for a bit to get practice, then you go up a road to some high peaks, probably takes about 30 mins to get up.

However, a few gripes, the road was soooo amazingly badly dusty and loads of broken roads. You wear googles, but i'm telling you this thick white sandy dust was everywhere man, all over me, in my face.

Also because they have to be safe, the quads go up in a liner format ... so you can't really chill and talk to people or go up at leaurley pace , it's a mad rush to get up there. And like i said the track is pretty bad, wit bumps everywhere. And the bikes aren't easy to handly if you never used em before!

However, gots to admit if your a fan of quads then go for it.

The views were amazing, and you get a drink at the top. But then after about 20 mins your on your way back down again. So there really isn't any time to do your own stuff.

However if was nice ... and i'm sure if they could solve the bad white sand and have a better track it would be a better experience. But the people there who work are absolutely amazing and nice people.

You'd enjoy it ..... it's quite expensive though too, lol but then again all of Jamaica is a rip of for tourists!

5 Thank DollyKaur

Newark, Delaware
39 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 117 helpful votes
“Excellent ATV tour”
Reviewed November 28, 2006

My girlfriend and I arrived in Jamaica on November 20, 2006 by cruise ship. We saved some money on a shore excursion by not booking through the ship. We booked with Wilderness ATV Tours. What a wonderful experience. Neil and Chris are the owners/brothers. They were terrific! They were kind and knowledgable and really made sure we had a great time. Do not be put off by the tractor trailer on the unpaved parking lot. When you arrive they give you a little practice. Neither I nor my girlfriend had ever ridden an ATV. You practice in the parking lot. There are several Jamaicans cheering you on as you practice in the lot. As you round the turns they shout at you with things like "yah mon!" Way to go Bryan, way to go Denise. I think that if all I did was practice and listen to the guys cheer me on I would have been very happy and satisfied. But then we started on our twenty mile (round trip) ride up to the top of Murphy Hill. It is a nice ride up an old road bed to the top. At the top you are treated to a drink and great views of Ocho Rios. The guides really keep you pumped up by yelling encouragement as you go up hills and make some turns. They really let you get moving pretty fast. On the way down you get to go off of the road for a little while. This was exhilerating! After Chris led us back to the starting point his brother Neil took us to Dunn's River Falls as we had reserved a combination package. You do not ride the ATV's to the falls, but Wilderness ATV tours provides transportation. Climbing the falls was truly a treat not to be missed. I would recommend not getting in the line where everyone holds hands on the way up. Neil is very knowledgable and can give you great advice on how to climb up to the top as he has lived here for many years and has climbed the falls many times. I think it is more fun to find your own way up to the top. When I consider the kindness, enthusiasm, and fun of this adventure I would highly recomment Wilderness ATV Tours to anyone considering this type of adventure.

7 Thank Bryan E
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Incredible trip for teens and adults!”
Reviewed November 26, 2006

Boy, oh boy.... I made an excellent choice when I chose to book this adventure instead of one from the cruise ship. This was by far one of the best excursions I have ever been on. I booked an excursion with Wilderness ATV tours for myself and my 3 friends. 2 of us have a lot of experience with 4-wheelers, another has a little experience, and the remaining one has NONE! She was scared to death before we got there.

But, our trail guides, Damen and Chris, really did their job. They do a thorough safety presentation, and make you demonstrate your ability to turn, stop and ride the ATVs correctly. They put everyone at ease, including our first-timer. And, it was only the 4 of us on our excursion. VERY PERSONAL SERVICE!

Then we set out up the mountain! WOW! It was great. The ride is somewhat challenging for even experienced riders, so don't think for a second that you might be bored! When we got to the top, it was a beautiful view of Jamaica, and we had our bags waiting there for us, along with a cold drink.

After about 30 minutes at the top of Murphy Hill, we started our adventure back down the mountain. Once again, it was incredible, and the guides made sure everyone was safe. We yelled out the whole way down the mountain in pure pleasure!

Once we got back to the base, we left in a private van for Dunn's River Falls. On our way there, Chris instructed us about how and where to climb, what to do when we encountered a "chain" of people, and where to look for him. He climbed the falls alongside of us and took frequent pictures of us as we went up. The water and the falls were incredible, and the pictures turned out great! I can't believe how great that whole day was. It was as if we had our own personal tour guide. Folks... please make sure you give these guys a good tip for their services! This type of excursion and personal service cannot be found on the tours booked with the cruiselines.

Chris- You made this day one of the best I've ever had! I look forward to coming on this excursion again in the future.

GREAT PRICE, GREAT SCENERY, and GREAT PEOPLE on this excursion!

7 Thank gemgal7
Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“WOOOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
Reviewed August 7, 2006

My husband and I took a 7-day Western Caribbean Cruise with Royal Caribbean in June, 2006. None of the excursions available through the ship looked interesting to us so we decided to look around for an independent company. That's when we found Wilderness ATV tours. And am I ever glad we did! Based on the excellent reviews of others we booked it and were just as thrilled with the experience as they were. I am not an "outdoorsey" sort of person, nor am I comfortable driving heavy machinery but I had the most fun riding an ATV up to the top of Murphy's Hill. My husband, oh my gosh, couldn't wipe the smile from his face! He would do it again in a heartbeat. The staff were very friendly and made the ride up and down a lot of fun. I agree with their website when they say that safety is very important to them. The other woman in our group was having a little trouble. The bushmaster stopped, had her switch positions so she was riding right behind him, diagnosed her problem (staring at the ground, not in front of her) and away we went. She didn't have any trouble after that. We were the envy of the other families that we were cruising with. I think they all wished that they had done the ATVs, too! We opted to do the Dunn's River Falls. Our guide walked along the falls with our camera while my husband and I were climbing. We have the most amazing pictures of the two of us that most climbers probably don't have. We highly recommend Wilderness ATV Tours!

8 Thank atthegrand
A TripAdvisor Member
“Great Time”
Reviewed July 15, 2006

My wife, two teenage children and I just returned from a 7-night Western Caribbean cruise on Royal Caribbean. Our ATV / Dunn’s River Falls experience at Ocho Rios was the best excursion we had on our entire trip. Since this was the only excursion we did not book through Royal Caribbean, I was a little nervous as to what to expect. However, the experience, from the time we were picked up at the pier to the time we were dropped off, was great. The staff was friendly, courteous and knowledgeable. The ATV ride to the top of the mountain was a lot of fun and the view was spectacular.

While at the top we enjoyed a drink and our guide showed us all types of interesting local plants. The 2nd part of this excursion was the trip to Dunn’s River Falls, and it was as much fun as the ATV ride. Our guide took us on a very short ride over to the falls and advised us that he could either make the appropriate arrangements to join a group or we could climb the falls on our own. We opted to climb alone, which worked out well for us since the falls were crowded and we could move at our own pace. I would recommend climbing without a group, since you have the freedom to go where you want and have the ability to use your hands on the steeper sections. Our guide from Wilderness walked along side of the falls and carried our camera. From his location he could both advise us where to go and take a ton of pictures of my family as we ascended the falls. After the climb our guide gave us the choice of stopping at the craft market at the top or going out another exit.

After reading all about the hassle of the local vendors we opted to take the alternate exit. The entire experience was hassle free and I would advise anyone to take this adventure. For what it’s worth, the photos our guide took, using OUR camera and costing us nothing at all, are fabulous!!

12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member