“A little piece of Heaven”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Norfolk U.K.
“A little piece of Heaven”
Reviewed September 14, 2010

We have just returned from the Riu Ocho Rios Hotel, This is an exceptionally good hotel of a very high standard 5 miles from the centre of Ocho Rios . All of the staff from the Waiters to the Housekeepers work to a very high standard & the attention to detail is second to none. They go about their work in a very professional manner & are always very polite . The hotel has Asian, Japanese, Steakhouse & Gourmet Restaurants which provide food of a very good quality complementing the self service restaurant. Within the hotel complex there are two large swimming pools & ample sunbeds for all. It also benefits from having a smooth sandy beach fringed with Palm trees leading to the crystal clear water of the Caribbean. We booked with Thomson Holidays & had the Pleasure of Pauline being our Representative. She is the most hard working & knowledgeable person with a large persona to match her heart, it was an absolute pleasure to meet her , nothing was too much trouble & The No Problem custom was very evident. We booked excursions to The Dunns River Falls which are a must for adventurous people, The Zion Bus Line to Bob Marleys birthplace & final resting place & the nearby Dolphin Cove for a swim with the dolphins which was a truly unforgettable experience. I would sincerely like to thank everyone concerned for making our holiday a very special occasion & would personally recommend this Hotel to anyone wanting to enjoy all that this beautiful Island has to offer.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Edge49

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Montego Bay, Jamaica
Reviewed September 13, 2010

We just got back after staying here for our honeymoon. We found the staff helpful and pleasant.
The room was very clean and palatial -we were on our honeymoon so we were upgraded from a junior suite to a deluxe suite-and the room came with all the luxury amenities.
There was a very wide variety of foods including theme nights in the regular buffet and a number of specialty restaurants. One thing about the specialty restaurants-make your reservations early..the spaces are gone by midday. And the Mandalay Asian, which was the only buffet -type specialty restaurant was a little disappointing. We also liked that they always had a wide selection of local cuisine in addition to all the international fare.
The entertainment is great and changes every night to include different local acts from all across the island of Jamaica.
Of course, the beach and both pools and all the bars were very good and there's always something to do. We liked that the hotel is located only about 10 minutes from the town Ocho Rios, so it was close to a number of tours/attractions.
Overall, we had a great stay and we would recommend this hotel for vacationing honeymooners who want good value and stuff to do.

3 Thank BOLOAVES
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed September 13, 2010

Here's my not so quick review after a great week (7 nights) spent at RIU Ocho Rios. I spent a lot of time reading reviews here, so feel I owe it to write my own. About me and travel...traveled most of North America, including most of Mexico. Travel 2-3x month on business. This trip was with spouse and 3 kids (18, 16 & 10). I'll start by saying the 18 yo was thrilled, the drinking age is 18 in Jamaica. We had 2 adjacent rooms, ocean view

First, the things I'll cover the bad, and they're consistent with others feedback:

1) Check-in is painful. Be prepared, have your booking docs. This isn't a situation where you provide your name and they grab your info and go. It's somewhat coordinated chaos. Be prepared to wait, and for some frustration.

2) Beds are hard, and pillows are...not sure how to describe them. I can sleep on concrete, so I had little issues, and other than laughing between us all. We all got along fine, but it wasn't the Hilton, closer to Motel 6 beds...

3) The resort is big, there is lots of room for walking, and elevators to upper floors were slow so we walked the stairs as normal course of the day. No issues there again for us, but for others could be an issue.

On to brighter notes..

Resort: Nice, big, clean, lots to do. Family friendly, lot of kids (for us great), people from all over the world there. Internet in lobby only. We were able to Skype back home to check on things.

Staff: We found staff accommodating. We knew were in Jamaica, so our expectations that time is seen differently there was part of the deal. No problems. We had a couple of instances when our forgetful 10 yo left clothes/gear around. Both times staff found it and kept it for us until we went back to find it. They couldn't have been kinder to us in nearly all circumstances. We developed a rapport with one of the wait staff after one event, she looked out for us the rest of the trip. Very nice. Front desk is buried, but they did an adequate job for us.

Amenities: Pools were nice and big. Water warm, maybe a bit too warm for me, but it was August. Beach was terrific. Water was crystal clear, reef just past the ropeline filled with fish/anemone etc. Bring your mask/snorkel. Chairs were plentiful, never an issue getting them. Towels however could be difficult to find, they were out frequently. We took kayaks out (free), it was terrific to get out onto the water. 16 yo plays soccer/futbol, they have a beach game each day at 4:30pm. Fun for all, and a wide group playing, sometimes pretty spirited play as well. Bars are everywhere, I guess it's not top shelf liquor, but after a couple daiquiris/Red Stripes I wasn't concerned. Workout facility was adequate, nothing spectacular. A couple treadmills/ellipticals/bikes & weight machines, no free weights. Did what I needed to while on vacation. One last note on beach, there are guys there trying to sell jet ski rides/bracelets/cups/drugs. They're good natured, no problem, didn't bug our kids, and we dealt with it easily. Not an issue for any of us.

Rooms: Nice, big, clean. They did a nice job cleaning up each day, refilling the bar (soda/water/beer) every couple days. We weren't hitting it hard so we never were out of anything other than soda for kids. BTW, drink only bottled water in rooms, and they give you a couple big bottles for that purpose. We had electronic pass cards (1400's), so no keys to carry etc. Safe in room was nice. Don't lose the key or $50US. We didn't lose it...

Food: We were happy with it. Jerk Hut was the consensus winner. Otherwise the Japanese rest. won, should have gone there more (only once on final night). The main buffet was the other winner for meals. For dinner we could always find something we liked (curried goat/curry chicken were both great). Snacks etc were abundant. We went to Steak place (good), Asian (ok), and Japanese (very good).

Entertainment: The entertainment people were very good. Hard working, put on good shows, and were a pretty talented group. The highlights for us was Saturday night (I think) a reggae band on the beach, and one night they had a local Steel Drum band come in with young group of musicians, very entertaining. Some of the audience participation stuff was very funny, I stayed a long way away and kept my head down for those.

Other: Check out the Blue Hole. Peat Taylor is the man. Check out his ratings on TripAdvisor. We went on a day trip with him, Blue Hole (best thing we did on the trip easily), White River tubing (2nd place), Dunns River Falls (4th place), and on a separate day trip we did the Blue Mountain Bike trip (3rd place). But check out Peat, he and his son were great. Also you have to go downtown and take a walk around, check out the Jerk Centers, markets etc. It's all part of the experience. Stay away during cruise days & times, but you can time that, just ask around when to stay away from that mess. If you need US $$--ScotiaBank's ATM will do it for you.

That's it, I'd recommend RIU to friends, but would set it up like I have here. It's not perfect, but we didn't want to leave and had no regrets about our choice.

Good luck, hope you can find a similar experience to what we had.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve2Go
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 13, 2010

This was our first trip to Jamaica and I left wanting more. We had a fabulous time despite a few bumps in the road.

We arrived at the Riu around 7:30pm on Sept 4/10. Just as our plane was about to land at 1:30pm, we got note that the Montego Bay airport had been closed due to the weather conditions so we circled back around to Cuba to fuel up and wait until it was reopened. After a few more hours and an hour and a half bus ride from the airport we arrived to smiling faces who had been "patiently waiting for us" and were "so happy to finally see us". We were offered a rum and punch drink almost immediately and were directed towards a table the staff had set up in the lobby centre to help with check-in (as oppose to the check in desk). All we had to do was hand the gentleman working the table our hotel voucher and he checked our names off a list then handed us our room key. Check in took about 5 minutes and we were in our room within 10 mins of being there.

Upon entering the room, everything was to be expected. It was clean and the standard tropical decor. It was dark out (sunset begins around 6pm!) but we could still tell we would be satisfied with out view in the a.m. I do have to say, one of the biggestest negatives of our stay was the bed! It felt as if we were sleeping on a wooden plank (though after a few nights we were adjusted) and the pillows felt like lumps of coal were stuffed into a pillow case. We immediately called the front desk to have new pillows sent up. This was "no problem" and arrived within 10 minutes. Another tip, bring our own bags up to your room upon check in if you will require anything in the bag, like a bathing suit, sunscreen, or in our case, shampoo and conditioner, as it may take awhile to receive your luggage. After cleaning ourselves up from a verrrrry long day, we headed down to St. Ann's buffet which is open 6:30-11pm nightly for dinner. As this was our first meal since breakfast at 8am, and the food is AMAZING we ate FAR too much so wandered the grounds for a bit before heading to bed early.

Woke up Sunday morning to see our beautiful view of the beach and "fun pool" (the pool where the daytime activities happen) We headed down to St. Ann's again for breakfast (7-11:30am) which was delicious. They have the best pineapple I have ever tasted and there is such a great selection of food. YES, it is the same food for breakfast every day but there is so much to try I managed to have something different almost everyday. Breakfast quickly became my boyfriend's favourite meal of the day and he found himself thinking of what he would have the next day for breakfast right after we had dinner. Sunday was a lounge day for us. We found a wonderful spot on the beach (which isn't hard as the beach is beautiful, the hotel wasn't packed and you couldn't ask for better swimming conditions) As this was our first day, we were harassed by the beach vendors!!!

The beach vendors are... annoying. I don't think they're allowed on the beach itself so they lurk in the water and yell at you as you walk by. They try to sell you anything from necklaces and bracelets, sea shells, hand made drinking cups to drugs. My boyfriend noticed that the less tanned you look the more you'll get harassed as they figure they have a better chance to sell you something if you have just arrived. Also, the Riu staff don't say anything to the vendors. No "leave the guests alone" or "go away" which is a shame because you can see how aggressive these guys are and how uncomfortable they make some guests. I felt like telling a couple of these guys where to go a few times but as I was a guest in their country, I kept it to myself and just said "no thank you" (sometimes repeatidly) and they would leave with a "respect, mon".

Sunday is when we discovered the Jerk Hut. We ate here everyday, except once, for lunch. We literally began counting the minutes until it opened at noon. My boyfriend (who eats a ton!) would sometimes eat 3 jerk chicken breasts for lunch. It really was amazing. We decided to switch it up one day and went to the Plantation restaurant (located near the fun pool". This is open 12-4pm and is buffet style. We tried it once, and it was enough for us. Not that it wasn't good, but the selection was so-so and it just didn't compare with the Jerk Chicken and rice from the hut!

We were able to easily get reservations for the 3 restaurants (we weren't in a deluxe suite who have 2 additional restaurants to choose from) on the night we wanted. My boyfriend and I would eat and then walk over to make the reservation so we wouldn't get there until 9-10. We had to take a 9pm time for the Gourmet restaurant but didn;t see it as a big deal.

Our first restaurant was the Steakhouse which also had fish and chicken to choose from. Buffet style salad and dessert bar. My boyfriend had the steak and was happy with how it was cooked. I had the Red Snapper and it was possibly the best I ever had. Our server was wonderful so we "took care of him" and he recognized us and acknowledged us the rest of our trip. The next night we tried the Asain restaurant, which is "self serve" aka buffet. This was probably my favourite restaurant of the 3. The selection wasn't overwhleming but everything I tried I enjoyed. We're sushi lovers so were happy to find some that night and, though it tasted like grocery store sushi, definitely satisfied me. The next night we decided to do the buffet again and it turned out to be Mexican theme night which was the BEST DINNER we had that week. When we walked into the restaurant, in the centre of the buffet was a man making chicken wraps. I asked if they had cheese in them and when he said yes I replied with a thank you and was about to continue on my way when he said "I'll make you one no cheese right now" and within seconds, I had the most delicious chicken wrap I have ever tried. At the end of the meal, my boyfriend contemplated taking some up to our room for a late snack later one but by that time we were both too full to even thinking of eating later on. the next morning we even said how nice if would have been to wake up and have one before breakfast lol they were that good.

The last restaurant we went to was Gourmet. Again, we had to take the 9pm reservation and the way this restaurant works is... odd. 3/4 of the restaurant had their starter salads or appetizers before the remaining 1/4 orders were even taken. the first 3/4 then got their soup before we got our apps. Then the first 3/4 got a bread refill which we weren't offered. the first 3/4 then got their main dish and we were just sitting there waiting for our soup. A few tables who didn't order dessert (you order everything at once) were done and leaving before we got our soup. My boyfriend and I both got stuffed mussels for our starter and they were aweful. Neither of us could finish them. I then got the Lobster bisque and... it tasted exactly like the mussles just in a liquid form. I didn't finish that either. After 1/2 the restaurant had finished their meal, we finally got ours. My boyfriend got the lamb chops and I got the fillet of grouper. Our main courses were delicious and made up for the starters. We didn't order dessert so left right after our meal. It was almost 11pm by this time. Unfortunately we were both disappointed with that nights meal. For the sake of trying it, we ate at Piccola italia for a mid-afternoon snack one day around 4-4:30pm as we decided to have another late dinner. As the name would suggest, there is a selection of pizzas and pastas, as well as friend chicken, fries, vegetables and a salad and dessert bar. It was exactly what we needed to hold us over until our late dinner. This restaurant is open 12-12am daily which is awesome for snacking anytime. the sports bar which is open 24 hrs, also has popcorn and nachos and cheese for snacking, My boyfriend later discovered they have sandwiches in the fidge down there which we said were delicious and average two a day. One issue I had with all the above restaurants, except for the buffet who have steal drums out front every night, there isn't any music playing while you eat. It's just an awkward buzz of people quietly speaking and eating. Music would have made things just a little more enjoyable.

On the Monday, a gentleman, Prince, from the water sports shack came over and told us about some of what they offer. There was a "Booze Cruise" which was reg. $64 but was $50 until Wednesday, which also included a 45 min snorkle and Dunns River walk. Prince told us the Catamaran left everyday at 10am or 2:30pm so we decided we would do it the next day at 2:30. When Tuesday rolled around, right after breakfast we walked over to reserve our sport at 2:30 when the girl working the desk said it wasn't going out today or Wednesday but she could book us in for Thursday for the $50. When Thursday came around, we were called at 8:30am to let us know it was leaving at 1pm, not 2:30. I wondered what would happen if we were early risers and had left the room before they called... we would have no way of knowing they were leaving early and would have showed up at 2pm and they would have been gone. It ended up raining that day ALL DAY for the first time so it was re-scheduled to Friday at 10am. Neither my boyfriend nor I really wanted to do it on Friday as it was our last dat at the resort and we were hoping to lounge in the sun all day BUT we did it anyway and I would highly recommend it!!! I was kind of disappointed with the snorkle as I didn't see ANYTHING except for sand and coral (not even a fish!! lol) but it's not the resorts fault that there was a lack of activity that day. Dunns river was so much fun though! The guides are amazing and makre sure to make your time with them memorable. They record te whole thing which is $15 to purchase (we didn't) and are willing to bring the video to your resort for you. Great group of guys that enjoy their job.

We also went zip linning with Chukka Adventure Tours in the mountains. the zip lines aren't very long or very high and we were surrounded by tall trees the whole time so it was there wasn't much scenery to look at while you're zipping. I enjoyed my time with them and, again, great guides, but I don't think it was worth the $90 each.

I thought the Entertainment at the resort was great! they put on a few really great shows at night. During the day the dancers practice on the stage so you can also watch that if it's raining. The day time activities like beach or pool olympics, dancing competitions, beach aerobics, etc are run by a few of the same staff members that are in the show at night. I swear these people must work 9am-2am every day!! and they always have a smile on their face while doing do. It's great to see. While we were there we saw a great African Dance show, Grease, a limbo competition, a couple's competition, a michael jackson impersonator, and a steal drum show. We were pretty disappointed to know there was a Beach Party the Saturday night that we left. I'm sure that would have been fun. We never made it to the DISCO. We're both 25 years old and found there wasnt much of a crowd for it. After the show, the staff would try to get guests to go in but would see them come out within 10-15 mins so we never bothered trying it out.

All in all, we had a great time. The bartenders are awesome and the service was always great. My boyfriend and I are tippers so often would be served drinks in a timely fashion. the resort and the beach are very clean. Even the public washrooms always smell fresh and are decorated with fresh flowers. The pools are clean and its easy to get a good chair around the pool (or beach) in the sun. The pool in the deluxe wing didn't have music but we did end up there a few times to get away from the crowd and relax. I wouldn't go back to the Riu Ocho Rios ONLY because I can now say I have been there and I like trying new things. I will be back to Jamaica but think Negril, probably the Riu, as its closer to the Appleton distillery and, as its west facing, the sun will be up a little later. (P.S. we wanted to do the Appleton tour but the sunquest rep told us its a 14 hour day trip. 4 hours there, 5 hours back. Yes, you get to see alot of the beautiful vews and local Jamaica but it wasn't for us)

I know this was long, but thank you for reading. This was a sincere, logical, and rational review. I didn't have any expectations going in to this place (you should always have anopen mind, regardless of your "last stay" or "last vacation") so was very satisfied with my time spent at the Riu Ocho Rios.

P.S. Bring your own clock/alarm clock as the rooms don't have one. If my boyfriend hadn't of brought a watch, we wouldn have never known what time it was in the morning if you need to catch a bus or at night if you have dinner reservations.

6 Thank hsheldon29
Indianapolis
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I have stayed at the RIU Ocho Rios Hotel twice during mid-July of 2008, and 2009. I spent the first 8-day visit on the standard side, and the second 9-day visit over the breeze way by the main lobby. We were shuffled into a room in the V.I.P. section one the second trip, which is where the suites are. There is a tad more gloss on that side, and it is quieter. However, the wedding suite with an ocean view obstructed by a chapel was inappropriate for two heterosexual bachelors. We insisted on our originally booked room, and they yielded. Luckily, we came via a strong travel company with platinum level insurance (I would recommend both for any international travel). It is my opinion that the rooms over the breeze way are the best. The view to the beach and ocean in this area are unobstructed. Moreover, you are in close proximity to the restaurants, check-in desk, and convenience stores. You can find yourself hoofing it if you stay in either of the flanking horseshoe guest quarters; this is an expansive 800+ room hotel. The rooms were nicely appointed, but had basic twin/double mattresses that teetered on slight discomfort. The property is visually appealing with stunning views of the inland hillside. Unfortunately, I found that the staff would accommodate requests with a superficial demeanor, which left me feeling satiated but disconnected; no one was ever rude or out of bounds though. Watch out for the food. There is an abundance, but chicken and fish bone fragments were randomly present on both trips. I found myself wondering how many chocking incidents the onsite doctor sees. Further danger is found with sea urchins when the ocean waters are calm; bring Crocs or water shoes of your choice. The bank machines did not accept my card which was troublesome. Their internet service was not reliable so that compounded matters. It was expensive to travel off the resort at $30 a pop. It is clear that the town of Ocho Rios is poor. I could not move without people coming out of the woodwork forcing hand crafts and weed on me; outright begging followed. This left me spending most of my time at the RIU when I wasn't doing chauffeured tours. This property is for the traveler that enjoys a do your own thing vibe resort side . The guy's who rent the jet ski's are holding. Don't buy any smoke in town as there are informants. Your best buy is at the Bob Marley museum deep in the hills, don't waste your time anywhere else. The ocean and sun are what you would expect from the Caribbean, and the surf is novice friendly. I never ran into any theft problems as I travel with a rather expensive wardrobe and electronics. Bring cold cash in small denominations, or travelers checks. There is a safe in the room. I am uncertain whether I will go back to Jamaica again, but if you want a cheap Caribbean vacation, this place is going to get it done in a stylish setting.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 11, 2010

Just got back from a 4 days 3 night vacation at this resort and it was definitely a blast! I love my country! It was my boyfriends first time in Jamaica and he loved every minute of it. The only thing I suggest is that they make it an all adult resort because the entertainment really isn't for anyone under 18 due to it's content. Oh yh and the drinks weren't extremely strong like some ppl may have said. The bob sledding adventure is fun. Maybe next time I'll go to dunns river. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed September 2010
Teesside
Reviewed September 11, 2010

I have literally just got back from RIU Ocho Rios. I have read these reviews religiously leading up to my holiday. I understand that experiences are subjective to the individual, but some of the negative views are absolute tosh, this is a wonderful hotel in every sense of the word.

Every single member of staff was efficient, friendly, competent and extremely hard working. I suggest that anyone who says otherwise is the sort of person that creates problems and wants to find a chip in the china. I heard some ridiculous requests from guests who clearly thought they should be seen as royalty, and I saw those requests being carried out without question. Each and everyone of the Entertainment crew will introduce themselves to you at one point or other. They are brilliant at knowing when to engage you and when to leave you be. Bar and Restaurant staff work as quick as they can and are also friendly. Nothing pleases them more than a little bit of respect and a please and thank you.

Housekeeping was great. We didn’t leave tips each day because we didn’t have much in the way of small change, and they didn’t need a bribe to give a good service, we instead left a larger thank you tip at the end of our stay. The big issue here seems to be the pillows. It was the first thing I checked out when we got into our room. I find the complaints a bit OTT. They are indeed different to what we have at home. I thought it felt like they were full of cotton wool balls. To my mind I actually liked them, you could snuggle right into them and get them to form around your head, so I think this is a typical whinge about something being different, not necessarily worse.

Vendors are indeed sitting in the sea. Tell them “no thanks” and they will leave you. The Police turned up quite regularly and they disappeared. They NEVER come onto the beach. It is OK to leave your bag on the beach and nobody will tamper with it.

We never tried the speciality restaurants, the buffet had everything on offer you could possibly hope for. I loved the soup and salads, and the deserts were to die for. The Jerk chicken hut is indeed fabulous.

If you are travelling with Thomson then Pauline the rep is the business. She makes you feel cared for like family and she is so funny and knowledgeable. I saw quite a few people who were on holiday alone, it is easy to make friends and mingle here, probably because the Jamaican culture rubs off on you, and you find yourself carefree and happy, so if you are riding solo this is a good hotel to go to.

The Disco is nice and cool and a great way to finish the night if you like to party, or go to the sports bar and chat with the bar staff. The shows were a bit hit and miss. I enjoyed the pre-show stuff, lots of audience participation games, which were funny. My favourite night was the Steel Band, a young vibrant band who manage to dance while they play, it looks and sounds great.

This is my second time to Jamaica and so I avoided the shopping in town because there is way too much competition from vendors selling the same thing that I didn’t want to get involved in the silliness. There is nothing you will buy in Ocho that you can’t buy from the craft stalls that set up with no hassle in the hotel on a night, or that you can buy in the airport cheaper anyway. We did the Cool Running’s tour which was amazing. Catamaran from Ocho out to the reefs for some snorkelling and then to the Dunn’s river falls. Staff were fun, dancing and serving you Rum Punch, and believe me it is so strong it will punch you right back! You get to avoid the vendors by coming and going by boat too. We cycled through the Blue Mountains. This was excellent and all downhill. Scenery is on a scale with Heaven. It rained pretty heavy the second part of the trip, but it was fine with our rainproof poncho’s in fact it was quite refreshing.

Jamaicans are big on the saying “No Problem” and if you find a problem at this hotel then you really need to have a word with yourself. Chill out and enjoy!

RIU drives as a 5* hotel. I think it is more 4* but either way I shed a tear when I left, and if I go back I would have no hesitation staying here

5 Thank Marliboco
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#27 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!