“Jamaica Riu Palace Ocho Rio” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Houston, Texas
“Jamaica Riu Palace Ocho Rio”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2010

Wanted to go to Jamaica since i have already been to Mexico 3 times
We were very exited about going to Jamica to this hotell
Front desk not nice and forgetting to give you the room key.
Rooms small and smells of mildew, no internett in the room.
Bar personell not nice forgetting to get you the drinks i guess you have to tip to get service so bring plenty of money.
Fitness center no AC no AC anywere.
Food in the restaurant average service from the waiters slow and no smiles act like they dont want you there.
Show at night need to practice a lot more.
Towels for the beach empty at 1030 so get up early.
Breakfast waiters not nice trowing the cups at you to busy to talk to other people..
forgetting the cups and milk and juice had to go and get it just about every morning our selves.
Lunch the same no service just busy picking up your plate when you are not done and drinks.
If you want to eat at the fancy restaurant you have to get in a line at 630 in the morning
nice vacation no sleeping in.( lady at the desk not helpful)
Japanese not good
Asian Average
Steak house Sir John and Richard Average
not worth getting up at 630.
No 24 hour room service.
THE BEACH IS BEAUTIFUL, the pool is dirty we stayed at the beach.
Venders on the beach all day trying to sell everything (This is suppose to be a private beach)Personell in the sports bar (1 lady working there at leat 3 times a week( RUDE)
acting like do i really have to get up and make you coofee?
Dont let the personell take the bags to you room they will never get there,cleaners
very helpfull and nice we left theme a big tip (good job)
All in all will never go back to Jamaica and this kind of hotell, feel like i have been bothering people at this hotell and the trip was not cheap at all,
Bring a Pillow they give you sement blocks.
Mexico i can fully recommend they know what service is,and the beach is 1% under Jamaica but good enough for me.

3 Thank starcraft1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,069)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
washington d.c.
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 5, 2010

I stayed at the Riu from July 27th-31st for my wedding. The property itself is absolutely stunning. The service was pretty good, of course some people were less helpful than others but overall the service was good. I booked a junior suite that overlooked the pool. My room was always cleaned, I got towel decorations, and face towels weren't really a problem. If I needed something extra housekeeping is usually around for a good majority of the day so you can just ask. My main complaints about the hotel were the bedding and the food. The bed was very hard and the food left alot to be desired. The variety was there but not the quality. I just didn't think it was good. If they could improve on these 2 areas I would consider returning. I do reccommend bringing a big cup with you to the resort because the drinks cups are small. I had 62 guests at the resort and some had a fantastic time and loved the resort and some didn't. I will say the resort always has something going on, it's very lively so you won't be bored. The entertainment was hit or miss but the people in the main area watching the show are mostly socializing and drinking so it wasn't a big deal. My wedding went very well. I highly reccommend any bride who is seeking to get married here join best destination wedding forum so you can find out about all of your options and learn about what to expect before you go. I had the steel drum band play, butterfly release, private poolside reception, and firedancers. The coordinator did a good job, but what every bride must understand is that this property does 3-4 weddings per day, so the coordinator is not just yours for the day. If you need personalized attention this resort is not for you to get married at. The jerk hut on the beach is a great option for lunch but the dinner reservation system is annoying. I never really had a problem getting reservations for a restaurant, but when I went I didn't find the food to be that different in quality than the buffet. I am big on food, so that's why I am disappointed with the resort. I give the resort a solid 3 to 3.5 stars. However for the price point you can probably find a better resort somewhere in Jamaica, but I think this is a great place to stay if you have a family and want to be in Ocho Rios.

3 Thank yumyum90
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2010

Hello, I am back from a few days of rest and relaxation at the “Riu” in Ocho Rios Jamaica. All I can say is that this is an amazing all inclusive resort to escape and spend time with family and friends.

The Riu is 65 miles from Montego Bay’s International Airport and it takes about an hour and a half to get there. Upon arrival you are greeted by someone handing out punch and cool hand towels. Check in was slow however you are in Jamaica where the motto is “no problem mon”. The moment I set foot on the grounds of this beautiful resort and felt the warm Caribbean breeze I started to relax.

There is something for everyone at this resort. You can sit in the lobby and meet people from all over the world; you can participate in water aerobics, scuba dive, and para-sailing. The hotel offers fun entertainment throughout the day and night such as pool competitions, and Broadway type theme shows.

You can have just about anything you want for breakfast, lunch, and dinner including Jamaican cuisine like ackee and salt fish, curry chicken, and more.

If you ever get thirsty you can choose to go to one of six bars where you can have an unlimited amount of alcoholic beverages, tropical juice cocktails, soft drinks, and water. The resort also provides a refrigerator filled with sodas, juice, and water in each room.

If you truly want relaxation then go to the spa for a facial or massage which will definitely melt any tension that you have left away.

The beaches are AMAZING; the blue green sea is warm and inviting; you can relax under a palm tree in a lounge chair and drift off to sleep to the sounds of the sea and the gentle breeze of the Jamaican winds. You can also hang out at one of two pools with Jacuzzis and a swim up bar.

For the kids there is “Riu Land” a kids club that provides daily entertainment just for kids.

If you are interested in buying souvenirs then take a trip to the marketplace in downtown Ocho Rios where you can get all kinds of souvenirs for really cheap prices. Be prepared for the people who work in the market place to try and get you to see what they have to offer in their stalls, it can be a little overwhelming however I just politely let them know that if I was interested I would go in and see what they had to offer.

Finally the best thing about this hotel is its service; this place truly gives you the feeling of being on vacation. Every single person that I encountered on the grounds of the Riu worked hard to make sure that my vacation experience was a good one; from the housekeepers, to the bartenders, and the servers at the buffet and in the restaurants. I observed how hard everyone worked and how humble the spirit of the people working at the RIU really is. So even though this is an all inclusive resort make sure to bring a few extra dollars to tip some of the people who help to make your Jamaican vacation experience a great one.

On a scale of one to ten I rate my experience at the RIU a ten plus. My only regret is not being able to stay a few more days.

Andrea
[-]

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank andrea4u
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2010

good friends went on their last trip - pre - family... we decided to ship a gift for their trip... the hotel received and signed for the gift- and subsequently misplaced, lost, or tossed the package.... the worst part is that the customer service manager has not even returned one call or e-mail about this.

Stayed August 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank mrojewski
Ajax, Canada
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

I chose this Riu a year when researching a destination for my wedding, and a year ago this hotel was listed as a 4 1/2 star hotel....to our suprise, it is no longer at that callaber. We had nothing but problems trying to book our wedding through this resort and went through 3 wedding planners to get it done..finally...2 days before the wedding. The staff were absolutely miserable at all times and completely unaccomadating for even minor details....like removing all the desert from my wedding reception before we had even had any yet and refusing to put it back. Some of our wedding guests did not have any of the bar item restocked in their rooms the entire trip including WATER! some went without water for 4 days at a time and when you asked to have water sent to the room, it never happened...they did eventually send us towels though...at 11:30pm ( i have young children so you can imagine how that went)
About 90% of our guests also got sick during their stay and we travelled with approx 50 ppl. They are still sick as I write this review. The food is mediocre at best and obviously garnished with something that causes sickness...
not a place i would ever go to again

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

My boyfriend and I were recently at the RUI in ocho rios. We loved it! During check-in there were a few hiccups, but nothing too serious. The food was pretty good and the resort is beautiful. The people that worked there were very nice and helpful; always making sure you are taken care of and having a good time. While picking up people from other hotels to go back to the airport, we got to see some of the other hotels. The RUI seemed so much nicer then these hotels. I was glad we stayed where we did!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Miami, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2010

I just came back from a week vacation at Riu Ocho Rios. Like many of you, I tried reading as many reviews as possible to go in prepare and know what I was expecting. I packed my pillows wit me due to the fact that I read 100 million reviews informing me how bad the pillows were. I am thankful that I read those because I was able to enjoy the hard bed at least with familiar pillows. I read good and bad stuff about the hotel but i went in with an open mind. We have stayed at many all inclusives but this was our first time in Jamaica and staying at a Riu.

We arrived late in the afternoon on Friday July, 23rd 2010. There was noone checking in so we were excited that it would be an easy breezy process which it was. We got our first keys and made our way to the room in te Deluxe Wing. It felt like we waked miles before getting to the room. My husband goes to open the door and he opens it wide and there was a couple having sex. We closed the door immediately and stayed in shocked of what had just happened. We are calmed people so we walked back explained to them what happened, they apologize and gave us another room. Once again we walked to the room and walked in to a family getting dressed. This was too much. We were in shocked and upset. On our way back we find the front desk lady and she started to apologize. I simply said " I paid a pretty penny to come on vacation where I expect professionalism and I just had 2 sour moments because you cannot do your job". We demanded to talk to the manager. Well the manager was too busy for us, so we got an upgrade.

The suites are gorgeous, it was ocean front and the whole deal. The room was pretty warm because they use the same air conditioner size for the reg. room and the suites. This was the first night of our vacation. What a beginning.

The rest of the stay was good. We did amazing excursions , Dunn's River and snorkle; siplining and river tubing and ATV and truly enjoyed the beach. The entertainment crew its outstanding although the nightly entertainment can improve. I love Summer, Megatron, Big Bird, Crazy Mona.. all of them made my week.

The food... I am really picky... So I would eat a strong breakfast, who can mess up an omelette? Then I would eat fruits for lunch and dinner was alright except Mexican Night (Amazing) and the Japanese restaurant. We went to Tushima 3 nights in a row. It was good food and landed great on the stomach.

I personally would not go again but overall was a good stay.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,312 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!