ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Breakfast included
Kima(Ocho Rios)
View Hotel
Seacrest Beach Resort(St. Ann's Bay)
  • Pool
View Hotel
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
View Hotel
Rooms Ocho Rios(Ocho Rios)
  • Breakfast included
Ocean Sands(Ocho Rios)
9,158 results
All reviewsjerk hutdeluxe sidesir richardssports barplantation restaurantjerk chickenmammee bayjunior suitemain buffetdunns riverspecialty restaurantssafe keygourmet restaurantcool runningsentertainment staffevery other daytowel cards
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 19, 2009

Overall we had a great time. The resort is clean, and food is decent. Reservations was difficult to make. So instead, have dinner at St. Anns and ask your waiter to bring you some food from Sir Richards. And tip him. If you get a driver for the entire week, you can work out some amazing prices (local prices). Our driver was amazing...
Big up to Richard Ellis. (Ask the front for Richard Ellis The Driva)
He hooked up some amazing deals with us. We did the Helicopter tour for $25! Flew over Dolphins cove, Mystic Mountain, RIU hotel, Dunns Rivers falls, the Cruise Ship and we got him to do some small aerobatic tricks (not recommended!) If you do the tours, go with your own driver! Much cheaper, plus he'll hook you up with local prices. Tourist pay $4 US for a red stripe, locals pay $140 Jamaican (less the $2 US). All our tours were far less cheaper, and you can ask him to take you to see other cool stuff on the way. When you do the bob tour, ask for Captain Crazy. (You tube Bob Marley Tour - Captain Crazy). The best tour guide by far! Watch out for the hustle in Dunns River falls - when leaving...
Buy your water shoes at the souvenir shop - paid $9 US for water shoes with Jamaican on them (they were the black and green with zippers). They charge $7 to rent at Dunns - and its the cheap rubber kind. As for at the resort. Jet Skis are tons of fun. Ask for Indian (Devon) tell him you want the local price and he'll hook it up for you. The resort gets boring after a while, so we went out every night with our driver to local parties. Which were insane. We went to a couple Bass Oddesy and Stone Love jams. Impy Skimpy, Parie Beach, Blitz - hook up with Courtney (wicked dancer), Margartita Ville, Amnesia, etc.. Wicked parties. Your driver will come with you, stick with him. If you get a chance, you have to have dinner at Scottchies, across the street. Jerk chicken, festival and roasted bread fruit! hmm...Thanks to Frank how posted a wicked review on here. Gave me the heads up. Overall, if your not paying attention or not street smart - stay in the resort.
Your on vacation, who cares if your room is 2 hours late - go get drunk, walk on the beack, etc... if you get a chance, take a drive to Hedo and pay for the day or night pass!

Cons:
Shower Tubs were small
Shower nozzle was broken
24 hour food really sucked - Nachos and nasty sandwiches!

Pro:
24 hour bar
great night life out side resort
tours well priced - if hustling properly
Tons of beach chairs
Water coconuts

• Stayed: October 2009
4  Thank indesigner
Reviewed October 18, 2009

The Riu chain is a well known chain of hotels that once you stay in one, then you know pretty much what to expect if you were going to stay in another one. The rooms are all pretty much laid out the same, and decorated similair too !
The Riu in Ochos Rios is located on the beach, the sea is not as calm as some of the bays dotted around Jamaica, but personally I like seeing waves rolling in onto the sand.
Whilst staying there, I only had the chance to eat in the main international buffet restuaurant, and also the italian cafe, and the food was pretty good. Plenty of it and a good choice.
Plenty of bars dotted around the place. The only potential downside of this place is that it is pretty big, over 800 rooms, when I stayed it was nowhere near full, and I enjoyed my stay, but I would hate to stay at the place when it would be full, I think that might be just too much !
It has 2 large pools which seems to be one where the entertainment happens and the other for the people that prefer some quiet !
Anyway, did a trip into Ochos Rios, and to be honest not too impressed, a quick walk around the town is enough, all the shops & market stalls are pretty much selling the same kind of stuff. Expect the traders especially the market traders to hassle you to buy from them, a firm but polite No Thanks Man ! normally does the trick !
In all it's a pleasant enough hotel, its currently being redecorated at the moment so beware of painters !
The only thing missing from my room was tea / coffee making facilities ! - They give you a mini bar but a cup of tea or coffee would have been nice instead of having to walk out of my room to one of the bars to get one ! - But hey, a small moan !
It has a small gym, some of the equipment is broken so be aware, but all in all the hotel is ok, 2 weeks would be long enough though !
Enjoy !

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business
2  Thank ianjul
Reviewed October 18, 2009

Me and my friend went there during the first week of March. It rained 4 out of 7 days that we were there!!
Rooms: The ride to the hotel is a little less than an hour. We got into our room within 5 min upon arriving. By luck we got the room right above the buffet on the 2nd floor overseeing mountains, main pool and the ocean!!!!!!! Honestly, the room was great but our neighbor kept on complaining after 11. Sorry buddy, I'm on vacation! Lol Everything in the room worked, beds and pillows were fine, fridge was restocked and towels got changed daily plus we received a bottle of rum as a welcome gift. There was no CD player so if you want music in the room- bring your own. We found there was lack of music everywhere on the resort. Also, it seems like the resort is divided into 2 and tourists get placed into rooms accordinly. Quiet pool area is more for older couples, families with children and newlyweds, while the other side of the resort is for people that party late. At least thats what I've found.
Pools: They are very nice!! There was never a problem finding a sit. Service depends on whoever's working. We had it bad when we waited for 10 min while it wasn't that busy and didn't get served. I was pretty pissed off cause we heard 2 workers arguing about who’s going to serve us. When they saw us walking away - they panicked and right away asked if we wanted a drink.. They know if someone complains, they lose the job.. After that incident we only went to that pool bar if those 2 weren’t working. I can agree with the other reviews that the “action” pool bar had the worst service in the whole resort.
Beach: The ocean is absolutely beautiful!!! Beaches are nice but I hear they are better in Negril however I can’t comment on that. Though it is a big resort there's never a problem to find a chair. The only shade u get is from trees but there're a lot of them. Try the jerk hut on the beach!! It is really good!!! There are sometimes waiters walking around serving beers or cocktails (free obviously) other times you can receive a 5 min free massage on the beach. Go for it! Other days, they had a lunch served on the beach. Basically every day there was something going on (unless it rained).
Food: The food is great!!! I have a very sensitive stomach but had no problems in Jamaica. Buffet was nice so were the la carte restaurants: I recommend trying the Japanese one (best salmon I’ve tried!!) Lobby: That area is very nice!!! 3 bars in the open plus the sports bar (nothing special) and disco. Entertainment was pretty good. They got tourists involved and kept the shows different and interesting all the time. Casino's nothing special at all. Save your money.
Tips: If you can, take a bus to Ocho Rios town and do some shopping- its much cheaper than on the resort. By the way, bargaining is the way to go!!! They'll rip you off but make it seem like you are getting a sweet deal. Beware.. Only carry like 5-10 bucks in your wallet (you might get away with just paying that). Don't buy anything at the airport upon arriving.. Get in on the resort if you know what I mean… And yea, all you hear about it- is true lol,
We did canopy tour and it was awesome!!!!! Too bad the rides were so short..
Margarita Ville was an amazing experience!!! I went by myself but didn't really find it dangerous or scary. They ask to dance but that’s about it... Or is because I got joined by the guy that worked on the resort? If you get a chance- go there. Music, drinks (not free) and dancing: a wonderful night out overall!!!
*If you are not feeling well and you need to see a nurse- be very careful!!!!! They will try to charge you $200 before you even see the doctor!! Me and my girlfriend went through this on two separate occasions.. Wear a lot of sun screen because the sun is brutal! Hives are not fun...
If I was to go to Ocho Rios again I would only stay at Riu. Overall: a family resort but something to do for everybody!! Have fun and be safe!!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 17, 2009

Okay so we just got back from the Riu Ocho Rios on Wednesday and I will start by saying that it was worth every penny. I also have to wonder where some of the bad reviews come from because from our point of view the Riu Ocho Rios ticked all the right boxes and didn't disappoint at all.

Check in was very efficient and we barely had time to finish our rum punch before it was all done and dusted! The Thomson rep, Pauline, was very down to earth and informative. The welcome meeting went on a bit but was very useful, although I get the impression that this meeting was to get us booked up on the various tours that Thomson ran more than anything else.

It was our first time in a Riu hotel and we were not disappointed. Although the hotel is huge (856 rooms and not 2000 as a previous reviewer said) it didn't feel that big. You didn' t have to walk miles to get to where you want to go as it is all set out very well, plenty of bars (and loos) so you didn't have to trek to find the nearest one.

Our room was spacious. Fresh towels and face cloths (yes really!) were delivered every day and the room was cleaned within an inch of its life daily. Hot water in abundance and the air con was a god send. We had a standard room and it was fine for us. Although a coffee maker in the room would have made it perfect.

The hotel is spotlessly clean, constantly being maintained by ground staff and glasses cleared all the time from the beach and pool. Not sure where the complaint about the place being dirty came from but all we saw were members of staff cleaning and painting and mowing the lawns.

The food was very good, always something to choose. The main buffet restaurant was fine for breakfast and casual dining and if you had been out on an excursion you could pop into the pizzeria for a bite to keep you going until dinner time. The only gripe is the restaurant booking system. This could be improved substantially by computerising the system and only allowing one reservation per room, per restaurant, per week, that way everybody should be able to use them. There are enough restaurants to give you a varied evening meal. We dined at the Sir Richard (Sir John was closed) and found that although the food was good the service was sadly lacking. The waiter didn't even introduce himself. He just brought the food and cleared it away and that was it.

We enjoyed the Mandalay Asian restaurant and although it was a buffet the food was excellent and always fresh. The steak house was a little disappointing from the reviews but was okay.

The entertainment was very good. The team work their socks off to make sure people have a good time, whether it is in the daytime or evening when they were putting on a show. The Grease, Michael Jackson and Jam Around the World shows stood out for us.

The beach was great, plenty of shaded spots as it was very hot and you needed some respite from the sun at times.

We did three excursions. Dunns River Falls, Blue Mountain Cycling and Bob Jeep to Nine Mile. We also took a taxi into Margaritaville for some shopping by ourselves.

Overall we had two great weeks at the Riu Ocho Rios and have brought back some great memories of the place.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
8  Thank JackieNorthampton
Reviewed October 14, 2009

before our holiday i had read a few reviews about the hotel saying it was not nice and the people would not return.i can honestly say it was an amazing holiday and will be returning.the location is great the hotel is very nice as was the food and drink.me and my partner left the hotel and went on lots of trips around the island.we hired the hotels taxis. the only thing i hated was the long flight.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple