“Hooray Beer! ”

Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Houston, Texas
“Hooray Beer! ”
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I visited this resort in May 2011 and enjoyed it so much we are returning this May with a couple we met there on vacation! We have also visited a smaller resort for adults only in Negril in June 2012 but it was not as exciting or as nice as the Riu. I was extremely nervous the first time we went from all the horribly negative reviews I read and was shocked when we got there because they just aren't true. I would think if you plan to travel to another country you would do some research about where you are going and take all necessary supplies with you. I'm not sure why people would think there is an easily accessible store that carries all the luxury items your own country or state does. With that being said make sure you have sun screen, aloe vera, bug spray and any over the counter or bathroom items you would normally use at home (benadryl, pain reliever, stomach upset pills, tampons, shampoo, water shoes, sun glasses, hat) and the list goes on. If you forget something they do have a small store on the property but the stuff is over priced so my suggestion would be to make a list so you don't forget anything you might need.

The arrival at the airport takes a while so be prepared. I find that if you have all the documentation you need in your hand and you aren't fumbling around to find it when you get to the customs window things go faster. The ride to the resort is about and 130 but the views are spectacular!! So instead of complaining enjoy the views with a cold beverage! It is that long of a ride to Negril as well so if you aren't okay with that then stay in Montego Bay.

The resort is big and beautiful. Check in was easy for us but we also didn't go during peak season when the place is fully booked. They gave us a cocktail and the keys and we were on our way! We stayed in a standard room on the family side and it was clean and had plenty of room. There was a slight musty smell but your on a humid tropical island so that's a given plus the smell goes away after you get used to it. Both pools were beautiful and clean, swim up bars are a plus and there were always chairs available. The staff was nice there was plenty of food and drinks. They do not have top shelf in ever liquor so be aware but the rum and the vodka are good.

The beach was amazing and if you plan on snorkeling bring your gear. I didn't the first time but was told the reef is nice. All in all this place was fantastic. If you are looking for room service, coffee in your room or 5 star dinning then maybe you should spend the money and stay at a fancy resort. For the price this place rocks!!

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Cookie8033

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Basel, Switzerland
Reviewed May 1, 2014

The hotel was clean, staff were friendly. Food is just OK. Additionally, with one exception even the specialty restaurants were buffet for a least part of the meal. The beverage package, for an all inclusive, was totally unacceptable. Even the speciality drinks were average at best.
The beach was nice.
The fitness room is not air conditioned and there is very little equipment for the size of the hotel--3 treadmills (1 not working) , two elipticals!
The air conditioning did not work for approx a day and a half. Not sure if it's old infrastructure or just a fluke.

Room Tip: Definitely ask for an ocean view, while the ocean is not fully visible you can see it, and you get t...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Jean S
Far Rockaway, New York
Reviewed May 1, 2014

It's is my second visit to this all inclusive resort. And it gets better every time I visit. This resort is beautiful and worth every penny you spend visiting it. The entrance alone makes the facility exciting. The welcome with assistance is right on time. And the check in time had no wait time. I went with a friend for our birthday and we requested to have a ocean view room. We were not sure if that was going to happen but we did request when we booked. When we arrived to our room we were surprised to see what a beautiful view we had of the ocean and the pool. And when we walked out the room into the lobby the view was just as immaculate of the mountains. So while we were there we did of course 2 excursions the shopping which was not so exciting. It is very hard trying to shop downtown at the shops, everyone wants u to buy from them, and they call you over every time u pass which makes it hard to shop. And it makes you feel bad that you can't buy from everyone. After the shopping we hung out on the beach at our resort which is very nice, and we talked with the workers there. The following day we did Dunns River Falls. Something I wanted to due and it was what I expected. We then did a private beach where we were fed and then taken to the third part of the excursion , and that was r over tubing, FUN! We were so beat after we had dinner a show and then to bed. Back to the resort. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They are respectful and know how to treat the guest. The rooms are nice, the food is good, the entertainment is wonderful. I have not tried any other Riu resorts but is expecting to In the near future. It's a place to vist, and the prices are right.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank Travelqueen412
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed during the second week of April and can truly say this hotel was worth the money. The service was wonderful, the workers always greeted you. Service was efficient at the bar and all drinks were prepared tastefully. We stayed on the adult side of the resort which was restricted , we were able to enjoy our own pool and swim up bar.Access to certain restaurants and ammentities. We had access to wifi all day. Definietly worth with the upgrade!

The buffet food was good you could always find something to eat along with the el carte. The patties were one of our fav ! The jerk chicken by the beach was also amazing. I have no complaints in regards to the food.
The rooms were nice and cleaned daily.
This hotel is very big with lots to do including paddle boats and other excursions provided .
It seems to be a popular wedding destination.

Pools and bars were kept clean as previously mentioned excellent service by bartenders.
There is a disco /club on resort that had good music.They had a sport bar open 24hrs with some snacks provided, pool tables mini arcade and also a mini casino.
The beach is very nice lots of chairs for everyone , palm trees also for those being cautious about sun. They had a beach party one night.
This was our second time in Jamaica and it was beautiful and nothing short of expectation. It is a must return place, good for families groups of friends and couples.

The only thing to improve I would say is the entertainment nightly shows more variety and involvement with guests.
Loved this spot !

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Nicas_Cas
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We took a Senior spring break trip in April and found this place to be "adequate." I read all the reviews in advance and had some concerns but given the nature of our trip (seniors on spring break) we knew we could not expect a 5 star resort. The compound was a little small for my taste as far as an all-inclusive goes but it was nice in that you could always locate your family members. The food and beverages were average at best, the alcohol selections were creative but definitely lower shelf. The nightly buffet offered many choices but eating buffet style for 3 meals a day, seven days a week gets very old. We ended up going into town and purchasing a few meals just to shake things up a bit. The jerk shack on the beach was by far the best food we had all week.
I have to take a moment to commend the staff, we had been lead to believe that service in Jamaica was slow to non-existent. We did not find that to be the case. Every concern we had was addressed promptly and with friendliness. Service at the bar and restaurants was very good. This was a pleasant surprise. Having been to quite a few different islands in the Caribbean I would say Jamaica is near the top in terms of service and attitude.
We had an oceanfront room which was nice until the evening entertainment started....there was no way to sleep in that room without earplugs. We also had a cockroach one night but the maid was quick to spray and we never saw another.
Overall, given the cost of the trip, I would say we got what we paid for. There are certainly nicer all-inclusive resorts out there but this fit the bill nicely for a senior trip.
If you go, make sure you visit the Blue Hole - it was the highlight of our trip. The catamaran
trip to Dunns River Falls was okay but could not be more commercialized. You definitely want
to do that when there are no cruise ships in port or later in the day when the cruise ships have gone.

Room Tip: We had an oceanfront room on the non-adult side which provided a great view but was insanely loud in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank elmclean
Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We visited this resort with a wedding group from April 14th to the 21st, 2014. I had read reviews prior to going and basically found the same things lacking that were consistant with most of the reviews, ie, no clocks in rooms, no coffee pots and lack of customer service at the front desk. However, the resort is beautiful and so is the beach.

Upon arrival we originally were not booked into the delux side, and our check in was long and not welcoming, with staff pointing to the direction that we were to go with our own luggage to find our room. However, my daughter was booked into the delux side and their check in was great. The bride and groom were told by their travel agent not to do the upgrade at the time of booking but that they would be upgraded upon arrival as they were bringing in about 50 people with them. However, they were told at the resort that there were no upgrades available and they would have to wait three days for an upgrade. When we arrived at our room, we found the ceiling had a large hole in it from a water leak and of course the room was not made up and was dirty. It took us awhile to find the # for the front dest as I believe its like 6000, can not just dial 0, once we called down, it took them about an hour to call us back to say they would move us, so we once again lugged our luggage down to the front desk. We decided to pay the extra money to get a room on the deluxe side, at this point our luggage was taken for us to the room. The room was very nice with a lovely beach view. Funny, we received an upgrade by paying yet the bride and groom were told there wasn't any available?
We did not get water or drinks in our room from checkin Monday till the Thurs even though we asked quite a few times, suggestion if you go, keep the 2 water bottles that are in your room in the begining and keep refilling them at the many water stations around the resort, unfortunitely we didn't do this. I called the front desk Wed, evening and said I had no water and they told me to come to the front desk and get some, when I went down early the next morning I was told that I could only get water from the front desk until after 7 pm even though I told her that we had no water since Monday!! Customer service is not their strength.
WEDDING: This resort sometimes has 4 to 5 weddings a day, so it feels like an assembly line. The wedding we attended was beautiful, the bride was beautiful and so was the location on the beach. However, immediately following the wedding (and I mean immediately) a worker started packing up our chairs and sweeping the beach for the next wedding and told us we had to leave, we were not finished taking pictures. It made it very apparent it is all about the $$$ for this resort, hurry up and get this over so we can cram as many in as possible.
The bride and groom paid for extras like a side down menu meal. We had one waiter and it took hours for everyone to get their food. I was served someone elses dinner, but it just took too much time to complain.
The previous year, we celebrated our daughters wedding at the Now Lumar in Domician. I would recommend that resort even though its not a 5 star way before this resort because the service was awsome for the wedding.

All and all this is a very beautiful resort, however, their customer and wedding service to me, makes this about a 3 star resort.

Room Tip: stay on the deluxe side
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank parkilo
Toronto
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I add been to the same chain in Jamaica before and knew what to expect. Some of my family members had higher expectation.
Pros-staff was friendly, beach was lovely, room was clean drinks were always available, good variety of food
Cons-resort is too big and spread out. Safe in room didn't work and when we called the desk they didn't have any idea when it would be fixed. They were on "island time". Actually everyone in our group of 20 had some minor issues in the rooms. 50% of these issues were repaired.
Overall our stay was ok. The standard in every country are different and its not worth paying for this 5 star in Jamaica.

Stayed April 2014
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!