“Beautiful place”

Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Toronto, Canada
“Beautiful place”
Reviewed May 1, 2014 via mobile

We stayed during the second week of April and can truly say this hotel was worth the money. The service was wonderful, the workers always greeted you. Service was efficient at the bar and all drinks were prepared tastefully. We stayed on the adult side of the resort which was restricted , we were able to enjoy our own pool and swim up bar.Access to certain restaurants and ammentities. We had access to wifi all day. Definietly worth with the upgrade!

The buffet food was good you could always find something to eat along with the el carte. The patties were one of our fav ! The jerk chicken by the beach was also amazing. I have no complaints in regards to the food.
The rooms were nice and cleaned daily.
This hotel is very big with lots to do including paddle boats and other excursions provided .
It seems to be a popular wedding destination.

Pools and bars were kept clean as previously mentioned excellent service by bartenders.
There is a disco /club on resort that had good music.They had a sport bar open 24hrs with some snacks provided, pool tables mini arcade and also a mini casino.
The beach is very nice lots of chairs for everyone , palm trees also for those being cautious about sun. They had a beach party one night.
This was our second time in Jamaica and it was beautiful and nothing short of expectation. It is a must return place, good for families groups of friends and couples.

The only thing to improve I would say is the entertainment nightly shows more variety and involvement with guests.
Loved this spot !

• Stayed April 2014
4 Thank Nicas_Cas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We took a Senior spring break trip in April and found this place to be "adequate." I read all the reviews in advance and had some concerns but given the nature of our trip (seniors on spring break) we knew we could not expect a 5 star resort. The compound was a little small for my taste as far as an all-inclusive goes but it was nice in that you could always locate your family members. The food and beverages were average at best, the alcohol selections were creative but definitely lower shelf. The nightly buffet offered many choices but eating buffet style for 3 meals a day, seven days a week gets very old. We ended up going into town and purchasing a few meals just to shake things up a bit. The jerk shack on the beach was by far the best food we had all week.
I have to take a moment to commend the staff, we had been lead to believe that service in Jamaica was slow to non-existent. We did not find that to be the case. Every concern we had was addressed promptly and with friendliness. Service at the bar and restaurants was very good. This was a pleasant surprise. Having been to quite a few different islands in the Caribbean I would say Jamaica is near the top in terms of service and attitude.
We had an oceanfront room which was nice until the evening entertainment started....there was no way to sleep in that room without earplugs. We also had a cockroach one night but the maid was quick to spray and we never saw another.
Overall, given the cost of the trip, I would say we got what we paid for. There are certainly nicer all-inclusive resorts out there but this fit the bill nicely for a senior trip.
If you go, make sure you visit the Blue Hole - it was the highlight of our trip. The catamaran
trip to Dunns River Falls was okay but could not be more commercialized. You definitely want
to do that when there are no cruise ships in port or later in the day when the cruise ships have gone.

Room Tip: We had an oceanfront room on the non-adult side which provided a great view but was insanely loud in...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank elmclean
Saint Thomas, Canada
Reviewed May 1, 2014

We visited this resort with a wedding group from April 14th to the 21st, 2014. I had read reviews prior to going and basically found the same things lacking that were consistant with most of the reviews, ie, no clocks in rooms, no coffee pots and lack of customer service at the front desk. However, the resort is beautiful and so is the beach.

Upon arrival we originally were not booked into the delux side, and our check in was long and not welcoming, with staff pointing to the direction that we were to go with our own luggage to find our room. However, my daughter was booked into the delux side and their check in was great. The bride and groom were told by their travel agent not to do the upgrade at the time of booking but that they would be upgraded upon arrival as they were bringing in about 50 people with them. However, they were told at the resort that there were no upgrades available and they would have to wait three days for an upgrade. When we arrived at our room, we found the ceiling had a large hole in it from a water leak and of course the room was not made up and was dirty. It took us awhile to find the # for the front dest as I believe its like 6000, can not just dial 0, once we called down, it took them about an hour to call us back to say they would move us, so we once again lugged our luggage down to the front desk. We decided to pay the extra money to get a room on the deluxe side, at this point our luggage was taken for us to the room. The room was very nice with a lovely beach view. Funny, we received an upgrade by paying yet the bride and groom were told there wasn't any available?
We did not get water or drinks in our room from checkin Monday till the Thurs even though we asked quite a few times, suggestion if you go, keep the 2 water bottles that are in your room in the begining and keep refilling them at the many water stations around the resort, unfortunitely we didn't do this. I called the front desk Wed, evening and said I had no water and they told me to come to the front desk and get some, when I went down early the next morning I was told that I could only get water from the front desk until after 7 pm even though I told her that we had no water since Monday!! Customer service is not their strength.
WEDDING: This resort sometimes has 4 to 5 weddings a day, so it feels like an assembly line. The wedding we attended was beautiful, the bride was beautiful and so was the location on the beach. However, immediately following the wedding (and I mean immediately) a worker started packing up our chairs and sweeping the beach for the next wedding and told us we had to leave, we were not finished taking pictures. It made it very apparent it is all about the $$$ for this resort, hurry up and get this over so we can cram as many in as possible.
The bride and groom paid for extras like a side down menu meal. We had one waiter and it took hours for everyone to get their food. I was served someone elses dinner, but it just took too much time to complain.
The previous year, we celebrated our daughters wedding at the Now Lumar in Domician. I would recommend that resort even though its not a 5 star way before this resort because the service was awsome for the wedding.

All and all this is a very beautiful resort, however, their customer and wedding service to me, makes this about a 3 star resort.

Room Tip: stay on the deluxe side
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank parkilo
Toronto
Reviewed April 30, 2014 via mobile

I add been to the same chain in Jamaica before and knew what to expect. Some of my family members had higher expectation.
Pros-staff was friendly, beach was lovely, room was clean drinks were always available, good variety of food
Cons-resort is too big and spread out. Safe in room didn't work and when we called the desk they didn't have any idea when it would be fixed. They were on "island time". Actually everyone in our group of 20 had some minor issues in the rooms. 50% of these issues were repaired.
Overall our stay was ok. The standard in every country are different and its not worth paying for this 5 star in Jamaica.

Stayed April 2014
Baltimore, Maryland
Reviewed April 29, 2014

We loved this place. Of course nothing is perfect but the place was clean, staff helpful, food ok but we made reservations at the sit down restaurants since we stayed in the Deluxe Side. Room was spacious and we had our own concierge for dining reservations and check out. If you dine at the restaurants, men must wear pants... No shorts or not allowed to eat. If you tip the bar staff a few dollars you will get good drinks and get them fast. Bring a water bottle or Tervis mug and they will fill up the larger cups with beverages. Take the Dunn's River boat cruise from the resort. Decent prices, and you get to snorkel after the falls. Free drinks too. Sometimes it was hard to get a seat at the pool but not terrible. Beach was lovely. My husband and I had a great time.

Room Tip: Bring extra dollars for tips.... Will get faster and better drinks. Eat at "off" times to...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hotmama76
New Jersey
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I have stayed at the Riu hotels in Negril Montego Bay and decided for a wedding I would just do a day pass. I will say that this Riu seemed larger and the beach was definitely nicer than the other Riu hotels I have stayed at in Jamaica. The beach was longer and I thought the beach was gorgeous. The rooms look the same at all of the Riu hotels to me. I probably would have given this property a better review if the service wasn't so terrible as far as getting into the hotel for the wedding. The security and the front desk were an unorganized mess. I would have thought it would have been more organized for a wedding.

My interaction with security was terrible. We were on a list to register for a day pass to attend a wedding at the hotel for the day. After arriving at security we were told that he did not have the list for the wedding and that he would usually get a list if there was a wedding but no one bought him one. He than attempted to call the wedding coordinator whom he was unable to get into contact with. I was annoyed because for someone's big day I would think there would be a little more organization especially since the other person with me was in the wedding party. After waiting for about 5 minutes I suggested he call the front desk because we needed to check with them to get our wrist bands. He said he was trying and we sat there and waited another 10 minutes. After several cars went in and exited as we waited, luckily a larger truck needed to pass so I was told to pull to the side but I instead just drove in. We were there to attend a wedding and he literally had us waiting and went on doing other things. I just thought that was the worst service considering we were there for an event that began at a set time.

After we entered we waited at the front desk and of course our names were on a list. I asked the lady at the front desk why the security didn't have our names. She said she didn't know and asked if he called the front desk. There was online one couple ahead of us at the front desk so I have no idea who the security guard was calling. This young lady was a lot more helpful but they just need to be more organized once again. While our names were on the list the wrist bands were located somewhere else. I don't understand why the wrist bands for the wedding are not stored the same way wrist bands are stored for guests staying at the hotel. Especially since they were giving a list of names of people who needed a wrist band. After waiting we were told to sit down and we would be called up when the person that had the wrist bands was at the front desk. We went and sat for 20 minutes. Good thing we came early because I am still in shock at how long we had to wait between security and the front desk.

I am not sure if they have problems with people coming into the hotel without wrist bands but I went to the car to grab something and when I came back in I noticed a lady staring at me. I was at the bar getting ready go to the dance party following the wedding dinner and as I turned the lady was standing next to me and she said oh you have a wrist band and she went on to check my dates wrist. The way she did it was rude. And after doing that when my date went to use the telephone she asked why his wrist band wasn't red. I don't understand how an employee at the hotel didn't know what color the wrist band would be for those attending a wedding with a day pass. That just shows the lack of training they have there. Clearly it is more important to stalk and harass guests before even knowing what you should be looking for. Very unprofessional. I am planning a destination wedding but I think I will be steering clear of the Riu Resorts. I know the Riu Palace hotels are supposed to be better as I've stayed at a palace in Mexico. But I'm scared to even try the new Riu Palace in Jamaica. I am just tired of being disappointed by last 3 Riu Resorts I've visited. This was the 3rd strike!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank ndennifer
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Love Jamaica, Love Riu, and this hotel. a Fantastic spot for the beach, hotel, and vacationing. When you say there is nothing wrong with a hotel, you stayes at the Ocho Rios. everything is perfect, the beach, the location, the food the staff the entertainment, the drinks, the check in the check out, everything! This is our best destination yet, out of 9 vacations in the Caribbean.
The Beach
white sandy beach, many chairs no need to reserve there are plenty. many palm trees to cover any sunny spot for anyone to hide under the shade, hot sun use alot of sunscreen. There is no one that will solicite you at this beach. snorkling in a coral reef just meters away with plenty of tropical fish, water sailing, padel boats and kayaks all free of charge, and a jerk chicken lunch to feed you and dont forget the huge beach bar, fast curtious service Adrien and Chantal will take care of you there... excelent

The Pools:
we are not a pool couple (people report they pee in them) I dont know about that at this place but I dont hang out there, they are big, clean and seem comfy though... there are 2 one in the adult section and the populated area where that pool is much bigger.

The Rooms:
clean, done everyday on time every time you can count on them, we didnt need to run after staff for extra anything they made sure everything we needed was there, the place was cleaned everyday. The bar well stocked, nothing missed.

Check in:
we were greeted upon our arrival, our room was booked all in order, it wasn’t ready but they accommodated gave us another just like it and we were off, no huss no fuss everything taken care of, very friendly caring and professional.
Check out: courteous, friendly, respective and again professional everything soooo smooth and easy going.

The Food:
Excellent, the buffet, snacks, a la carte, all were beyond expectations and very tasty. No watered down deserts here like at other resorts. Your taste buds won’t even know you’re on holidays. Nothing to report because everything is so tasty here, no complaints.. we ate at sir Richard’s, the Japanese buffet, and the steakhouse. Though I found the steakhouse weren’t too attentive to us, but I can see that they were to other patrons so maybe they thought we wanted privacy, we just had to ask for anything and we got it right away. Too much food on the main courses at the steakhouse no room for desert. But again very very good. The buffet has everything you can imagine and want, for breakfast, lunch and dinner. You won’t go hungry here.. Cheese is cheese not goats cheese. You got the real deal here.
The Bars:
Fast courteous service at every location. Friendly staff (except the girls at the bar on the adult side not friendly at all to me anyway, very moody and snoby) but I’m on holidays, easy going, I don’t care, so many other bars there too, I’d just move along to the next one no problem mon. The drinks are very good, don’t need to ask them to put more booze they put enough in them. This a resort that if I wanted to get drunk and I did, it was possible without having to run to your private bar in your room.
I suggest the Bob Marley or the Baby Maker…

This resort is very clean, we seen them washing all the time, the rooms are spotless, beach is clear and clean the site is very well maintained and cared of, the buffet is clean dishes and utensils spotless tables are cleared quickly and the staff caters to all your needs.

Excursions:
We did 3 of them.. no details I wouldn’t want to spoil the fun
Bob Marley.. recommended takes ½ a day and is worth it.
Took the bus 10.00 to Ocho Rios there and back for shopping. Some 10 minutes away from the hotel. Recommended. Worth it, gone for 2 to 3 hours, Newton our driver very informative of the local spots and excellent sence of humour
Luminous Lagoon. Drove 2 hours to get there for a dip in a muddy lagoon that lasted 10 minutes, very cool, then drove another 2 hours back. NOT recommended

I will post pics later on too many to chose from

Room Tip: we took the garden room, larger balconey, secluded and quiet for those private meetings..
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#27 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!