“Lovely vacation spot”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed April 9, 2014

We stayed here march 31-April 07 2014 We loved this place The staff are friendly and helpful The room we stayed in was on the 4th floor. It was clean and just like pictured We were diassapointed however that the balcony was solid and you had to stand to see out. The air conditioner worked great and we always had plenty of hot water to shower before dinnerThe food buffet was excellent The largest variety I have ever seen and excellent quality The Japanese restaurant was very good Sir Richard gourmet restaurant was very disappointing Don't bother The pools are beautiful They even have staff going around to get drink requests from you while sunning. We did not view the entertainment as it started 8:30-9:00 and were were tired from the beach The beach is beautiful with lots of shade available if you want it You can stand all the way out to the rope and snorkel just past it at a shallow reef There is always a trade wind to cool you There are no venders to harass you We plan on returning here in the future and would highly recommend it

Room Tip: Ask for a room on level 2-3 for best view and if you stay on the 4th floor insist that your room do...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (8,859)

Reviewed April 8, 2014

We 4 girlfriends stayed at this resort 3-29 to 4-5-14. I was impressed. Can't figure out the bad reviews. We found the reception staff to be extremely helpful. We reserved 2 rooms. When I checked in with my gal pal, I found they gave us a king bed, so I called and they switched us that day to a 2 bed room, but unfortunately it had a purple concrete wall on the balcony. If you sat in the chairs, you couldn't see a thing. Also they switched us to ocean view instead of ocean front. Next morning I called reception, they said they were planning to move us to the correct room that day, so . . they did, but lo & behold it had another purple wall on the balcony, so. . the bellman called reception, and later that day we had our oceanfront with a wrought iron see thru balcony right in front of the ocean. Problem solved!! Reception couldn't have been more cooperative. So my tip, when you reserve the room make sure you get a wrought iron balcony.
The room was fine, a little outdated, but very clean, well stocked, a/c, hairdryer & everything else worked fine, Only thing missing was a coffee maker, but I knew that in advance and brought my own. After all, I wanted to sit on the balcony In the morning, looking out my wrought iron railing at the ocean, drinking coffee, and enjoying Jamaica. Buffet Food was just like every other all-inclusive I've been to. Some Good, Some Bad, but lots of it and plenty to choose from. Same goes for the restaurants. I really liked the pizza restaurant, it was open later than the others, so you could get a snack later at night. Beach & pool were awesome. Plenty of shade and chairs. I didn't play the "get up at 6AM so you can reserve a chair with shade" game. We always found somewhere to sit that had both sun & shade. The entertainment staff was "entertaining" and intermingled with the guests.. I also like the fact that they had bands at the bar in the early evening before the show began. Good guitar, vocals etc. While I never like to go to the same resort twice, I would highly recommend this to everyone. We stayed on the adult side because none of us have kids, and really enjoyed it. As a last note, all of the staff was great. Take lots of $1 bills and hand them out when you get service. They really appreciate it and really deserve it.

Room Tip: Get a room with a wrought iron railing on the balcony!!
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank lovetotravel52607
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios from March 21st -28th in a Deluze junion gardenview room. I must say I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of this resort

The room was fantastic - no musty smell at all and the air conditioning worked perfectly. The in-room bar was always stocked and we had unlimited access to wifi from anywhere on the deluxe side (worth the investment!)

The beach was just as amazing, there was more than enough room and chairs for everyone and sure there were some sticks and cigarette butts but overall they did their best to keep it litter free. It's not the resorts fault, its the people who are littering on the beach. They provide ashtrays if you wish to smoke on the beach.

The food was the best part of it all. I was a bit disappointed with the Asian a la carte restaurants as it was a strange mix of japanese, chinese, indian, and a general lack of knowledge about how those dishes are to be prepared (ie. the tempura shirmp comes in cornbread batter, not tempura flakes) however, the buffet was AMAZING. If I could change anything I wouldn't book as many restaurants and just eat from the buffet - there was more than enough choice and everything was cooked perfectly.

The staff was always there to assist, HUGE shout out to Marley who was an amazing server at the buffet. Excellent customer service.

I have no idea why people are complaining about the coffee because every morning you received freshly brewed Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee from one of the servers. On top of that they would hold your table for you when you left to go to the buffet so no worrying about taking turns grabbing food!

Tips are not necessary but are greatly appreciated. Wages in Jamaica are incredibly low and a one dollar bill goes a long way to help these people and their families. I only tipped when the service was above average and impressive.

Overall when, not if, I return to Jamaica I will be more than happy to stay at this resort again.

Room Tip: If you don't have children - go deluxe. Well worth the investment.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Julia R
Reviewed April 7, 2014

My husband and I went to this Riu Ocho Rios at the end of February and spent a glorious week in the Jamaican sun. This was our first experience with the Riu brand. Our son and his girlfriend had already booked the week and asked us to join them. We used a travel agent named Heather McLaughlin with UltraTechTravel. We were able to get a price well under the price that our son paid with a different company and we had the same category package. We requested the adults only side of the resort, which was an upgrade. We requested a room on the 3rd floor or above. The adults only side pool was much quieter that the other pool, but if you like to play pool games, the other pool was always an option. There were lots of activities to partake in or not if you just wanted a lazy relaxing day. The adults only pool was spotless and there was drink service around the pool. The ocean (Caribbean Sea) water was beautiful and refreshing. Our rooms were very clean and well-furnished. We were on the 4th floor which did have a gorgeous ocean view, except that the facing of our balcony was solid concrete and not see-through. Therefore we had to stand to see over the balcony wall. Our son's room was also on the 4th floor but had open iron-type grillwork which made their balcony much more scenic. Being on the 4th floor meant that we had to use the stairs often, as the elevator kept breaking down. Good thing both of us like to exercise! Speaking of exercise, the fitness center was inadequate for the size of the resort. There were not enough cardio or weight-bearing machines, which was frustrating. The Spa was adjacent to the fitness center and offered a variety of services. I loved my deep-tissue massage toward the end of the week. The food was very good with a variety of restaurants to choose from. We were able to make reservations ahead at the restaurants requiring them because of the adults-only premium package. I would love to go to another Riu in the Caribbean or Mexico next year. I felt we got a lot for what we paid for and of course I will have Heather at UltraTechTravel do the booking.

Room Tip: If travelling as a couple, ask for the adults-only side and request a room on the 3rd floor or above...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank seashell55
Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed at this Hotel on the Gold side(adults only) from March 24th to 27th 2014 and had a blast!! We had stayed there last year and had a great time too so we thought we would try it again. We have stayed at the Riu Palace twice in Negril also.

The grounds and pool were as nice as ever and well maintained. The beach was awesome and the water sports were easy to get. The boys were very helpful. The chicken jerk shack on the beach was awesome too..must try!!

There was a lot of food to choose from. The buffet was always very fresh and the other restaurants were good also. It is a 4 star however not a 5.due to the fast it is mostly buffets and not sit down. We were surprised at the red wine at the Asian restaurant. It was very good for a house wine. Overall the service was very good.They are very polite and try hard.

Our room was nice however we did not get what we requested many times..A King size bed..ocean view..3 storys up or more. Last year we did. Oh well we will try again next year.

The pools were great and cleaner for sure on the Adults only side. The ocean is spectacular however we were surprised not to get service on the beach. Also around the Adults pool no service. That is another reason it is a 4 star but a great one!!

The entertainment was just okay except for the Reggie band on Wed. night. They were very good.

Overall it was lots of fun and we would go back again.

Blair 54

Room Tip: 1249 has a great ocean view and has a king size bed too!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank blair54
Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

This hotel was great: food, entertainment, room, beach, location. The only reason I gave it a 4 is due to the pools which e awesome but the brick overlay in areas of the pool(edges) need to be redone. The buffets were super!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank suz918
Reviewed April 4, 2014

This was our first time in Jamaica, I always wanted to visit,and I am so glad I finally did. We had a wonderful week long vacation in Riu Ochos Rios, near the end of March 2014. Beautiful hotel and gardens, clean and well groomed. Beautiful clean spacious beach with lots of lounge chairs and coconut palms for shade, when needed. The best Jerk Chicken is served at the Hut on the beach during the day, and is served at night in the restaurants. All the staff is very polite,helpful and friendly, especially the Chukka tour agents. Word to the wise book your tours with them, when once you have attended the orientation meeting. We booked the Catamaran and Dunn's River tour, thoroughly worth it, we had a great time. Then we booked the River Tubing and Zipline tour, superb! Next we did the Heritage HorseBack Ride and Swim, haven't enjoyed myself on a horse this much before. The horses are very tame and love to swim. Just remember to carry lots of $1 bills for tipping and cash or charge card for extras like snacks, photos or videos, while on the excursions.
I would go back again in a heartbeat. I could go on and on! I fell in love with Jamaica!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#27 of 80 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!