“Thank you for a wonderful holiday. Brian and Margaret”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed April 2, 2014

My wife and I had a great time. After reading some of the negative reviews we were wondering whether we had made a mistake by booking this hotel. Our worries were for nothing, the hotel was great, the food and entertainment was very good . The staff were excellent, Shawn and Stephanie in the dining room really looked after us. I would certainly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in 3409 it was handy for the resturants and was very quiet
3  Thank Brian C
Write a ReviewReviews (8,851)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

HARD BEDS but the rooms were kept very clean. Our mini fridge stayed stocked with water, coke, Fanta and of course RED STRIPE!! Food was not the best. I love breakfast food so that was my favorite meal of the day! I gave the food a poor rating only because the lunch selection SUCKED. It was pizza, fries, nuggets, and pasta everyday. Perfect for children but not adults. One day there was a bbq on the beach and we REALLY enjoyed that. The Jerked Chicken was AWESOME! I think everyone agrees on that! If they had the bbq everyday I would have given the food an excellent rating.

The beach was nice, my only gripe is that we HATED walking to bar to get drinks! My suggestion would be to either have beach service or place the bars closer to the beach. Once you get back to your beach chair your drink is half melted!!!! This was a big deal for us as we love chilling out on the beach. After booking the trip I read they did not have beach service so we were prepared but still disappointed none the less.

Entertainment was AVERAGE so it got kind of boring at night. Excursions saved our trip. We took the Bob Marley tour and the ATV tour. I really enjoyed the Bob Marley tour. We were in the heart of jam rock, such a cool experience. It's an all day trip, if you have time DO IT!!!

Bottom line this is NOT A RESORT FOR COUPLES! We were told this but unfortunately blew it off. This was our birthday trip (my 30th/his 33), so we wanted to do a beachside moonlight dinner. I was shocked to find out the resort technically didn't have this package but the wedding department "threw" us something together. I appreciated their efforts but we could have saved the $200.

Ladies if you get a massage OPT OUT of the beach massage. The location is near the pier where the jet skis are (which are not sponsored by the resort). It was hard for me to totally relax because I felt like I was being watched. There was no privacy and I'm not one who is extremely shy but I felt so awkward and uncomfortable. The entire massage was BLAH.

All in all we enjoyed our trip because we made the best of it. It's jamaica how can you not have a great time. I suppose we got our moneys worth so it wasn't a total loss. I would not stay here again but I would consider the RIU in Negril if the price was too good to pass up. I've heard the Negril resort is more couple friendly.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank athena m
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Thanks to Island Trotters for making this trip possible! Took a trip to Jamaica stayed at Riu Ocho Rios. Jamaica is as beautiful as the advters say! We weren't sure where to stay as this was our first time but travel agency Island Trotters recommended this hotel, they took care of everything! They even arranged for us to go off property and we enjoyed rafting on the Rio Grande. I am definitely going back for my next vacation!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
3  Thank Deaneann W
Reviewed April 1, 2014

This was our second time here and we enjoyed it just as much as the first. I have been to Jamaica, Mexico and the Dominican and though each of them are beautiful I am always called back to Jamaica.
The resort is split into two sections. One is the adult only and the other is for anyone. I don't think upgrading to the adult side is worth it. Just my opinion. We stayed on the regular side both times and loved it.
Rooms
A little dated and the beds are firm. Some have a king bed and others have 2 doubles pushed together. That being said, they are clean and the bar is restocked every other day. If you need more water or anything just ask.
Staff
I have never had any problems with the staff. Yes some are friendlier then others but that is the same anywhere you go. Our drinks were never empty and they will make them just how you want. Showing respect and some appreciation goes a long way. They work very hard and deserve it.
Grounds
Beautiful. The beach is lined with Palm trees and the water is so clear. You can see the mountains from the hallways. Pools are good size.
For us breakfast is the best but you will not go hungry at any meal. The jerk shack is very good and they have both sweet and hot sauces. We have not tried any of the specialty restaurants so can't comment on them.
We love this place and will be returning next year. If you cannot relax and enjoy island life then this is not for you. The pace is slower here and if you let it, you will go along for the ride. It doesn't get any better then that.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Melissa G
Reviewed April 1, 2014

To all the staff at ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios, thanks again for another memorable trip to Jamaica. Oceanview room, meals, beach, pool, entertainment, bars, bartenders. O'Neil, Doc, Eddy and George you guys are the best. The weather was perfect again as always. This was our second year in a row too the resort and already getting ready to book for next year again for the end of March 2015, make sure to stop by and visit with the Bartenders at the Dunns River Bar at the resort right above the beach bar. Never once did we have to waite for a drink. Leave them a small tip and these guys will never forget you. The first night we seen O'Neil he gave us a hug and remembered us from the year before, makes you feel pretty good for all the people they serve drinks to in a years time. Everybody works hard to make sure you are Happy and always very friendly. Cant waite to see you next year. Barron and Melissa

Room Tip: 4th or 5th floor, excellent view of the sunrise
2  Thank Barron A
Reviewed March 31, 2014

We stayed for one week and had a great holiday. Firstly the hotel is large but at no stage did we feel it was overly crowded. We always had tables to choose from at the buffet and sun loungers by the pool and on the beach. Our room was a good size and was clean throughout. We had a great sea view from our balcony. The minibar is included in your all inclusive option and contains beers, soft drinks and even rum / vodka. Cleaning was good in general with the exception of floors which could have been cleaned on a daily basis to remove sand from the beach. Air con was great and our water pressure was perfect (we were on the top floor of the hotel).

The hotel in generally is really well kept and feels very safe. The pool is very big and offers good choices of sun and shade for whatever you prefer. Pool bar and others were well staffed. We didn't tip and still received friendly and speedy drinks. The hotel also offers table tennis, volleyball and boats to take out which are useful for lazy days in the resort. The entertainment must be given credit in comparison to other Caribbean destinations. Shows were original with highlights being the beach party and Africa which included fire eaters. Dancing, fitness and games were hosted throughout the day by the pool and beach. The hotel also offers a spa which we did not use as felt it was overpriced to other destinations. Staff also offer fresh coconuts in the morning for a small tip.

In terms of food, dinner and breakfast is served in the main buffet. One restaurant is ample for the number of guests. Breakfast is fairly standard western food with bacon, sausage, pancakes and eggs. This is complimented with fruits and breads. Dinner does vary with a mixture of meats, fish, pasta, pizza and a strong salad bar. They also offer a variety of small taster desserts to pick at. One evening it hosted Mexican which was very good. Lunch was ok with a wide choice but many similarities to the dinner buffet. The best option is the jerk chicken hut on the beach during early afternoon.

The reason why the hotel fails to get five stars is the a la carte restaurants which are a major disappointment. The steak house only served the main which was literally crucified. I asked for a medium steak and had a piece of charcoal in return. In addition, the desserts available were not even available. We therefore promptly left and went to the Italian to eat, closely followed by two other groups who also walked out of the steakhouse. That being said the buffet is very good so don't bother booking the others.

Location wise the hotel is close to Ocho Rios, Dunns River Falls, Dolphin Encounter, Cool Runnings catamaran trips and Mystic Mountain so it is perfect for trips out without spending all day on the bus. Transfer time from the airport is about 90 minutes. Overall a lovely stay with good rooms, staff and a beach better than the rest (just watch out for crabs if you go for an evening stroll!)

Room Tip: We stayed in room 2510 on floor 5. Rooms on the pool side avoid the noise of evening entertainment a...
2  Thank Daryl C
Reviewed March 31, 2014

I went to the Riu Ocho Rios in February 2014. It is an absolutely wonderful place.
We stayed 7 days. We had a Jr. Suite. It was great. Very comfortable, very clean.
We were with 2 other couples. We spent our days out by the pool, beautiful and adults only.
The food was good. The specialty restaurants very good. The only complaint I have is the alcohol and the wine, only red or white. You could drink all you wanted, you just didn't want any because it was so bad!!! We thought it was because they did not allow other liquor in Jamaica, but found Absloute Vodka and Bacardi Rum sold at the airport in Montego Bay.
So I will say that if you enjoy good cocktails when you are on vacation, don't go to this hotel.

Room Tip: Get ground floor near pool. The fire alarms had a habit of going off and you had to use the stairs.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!