“Overall good experience with a couple minor hitches.”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Just returned yesterday and wanted to review quickly while everything is still fresh in my mind.
As the title says it was an overall successful trip with relatively minor annoyances.
I'll start by saying the resort itself is in a perfect location and very nice with the mountains in the background and the resort itself is beautiful and big with excellent landscaping and very well kept grounds, the ride into the resort is impressive. The beach is amazing and very close to everything with more than enough beach chairs, I never had a hard time finding one.. There is a natural break-wall in the distance that takes the power out of the waves so there is no pounding big waves coming in so the water is great for all ages and swimming abilities, lifeguards always around.

The resort is split into 2 sides, a family side and an adults-only side which goes right down to the beach. We stayed on the adults only side which had a gold wrist band that gives you full access to the entire resort and all facilities with no restrictions.. A couple of our friends stayed on the family side and had a red wrist band. They are banned from the adults only side and a couple a-la-carte restaurants. This division goes right down to the beach, our 40 something adult friends came over to visit us on the beach in front of the adults only side and were quickly asked to leave and go back by security so we went over to the family side and visited them. So if you want full access go adults only.

Our room was very nice done with tile and was well kept and clean, it was on the 2nd floor and I must admit I was quite disappointed that I paid extra $$ for an ocean-view room and I could not see the ocean at all, it was blocked by palm trees and the swim-up bar and pool that is between you and the ocean. You'd have to go to level 4 or higher to see to actually get a true ocean-view room as anyone on level 1 or 2 and most of level 3 is getting ripped off.
I gave the room a lower rating for a couple reasons, first the air conditioning was very poor and barely worked even when cranked down to the lowest setting. Luckily it wasn't overly hot at night otherwise I would have been very upset. Please make sure yours works before unpacking.
Another factor was the mini-bar which is supposed to be stocked every 2 days, ours was stocked only once during our entire stay even though I left a $10 tip and some werthers candies. I even went to the front desk 2 times to let them know and they said they would take care of it, nothing was done. They took the tip and candies and never came back. So don't bother wasting your money there.
And lastly even though we had tipped the maid none of the soaps, conditioners, etc were replaced at all during our stay.
Other than that the room was very nice.

The food at the buffet restaurant was very good with lots to choose from and lots of it. They changed it up each night and I always left full and satisfied. They do a great job at feeding you, lots of staff on hand and it was very enjoyable each time.. We did two a-la-carte restaurants "mammee bay" steakhouse and the "Sir John" which both were excellent and highly recommended..

Beaches are gorgeous and well maintained and like a post card, if snorkeling there are great reefs full of life less than 100 meters from shore. I spent many hours out there just looking at various fish and coral activity.

So overall I am a happy customer and will likely return to this place, I also recommend it to others both for families and singles alike. They do a great job here and the staff are friendly hard working people trying to make a living and they do it well..

Room Tip: -If you want a real ocean front room ask to be on the 4th floor or higher. Most of the ocean-view r...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank grizzlyrafting

Reviewed March 7, 2014

We have gone on another trip to Jamaica....Just came back...Weather was 100% and couldnt
say one bad thing...Be prepared for a long bus ride from the airport....We had to wait a while because some people missed there first bus...We had to wait for them due to much sun!
Our whole experience was the best....
I strongly advise you to wait and exchange your currency at the hotel...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Everything that could have gone smooth, did. From check in to check out. The resort is very clean. I keep seeing reviews about the pool being dirty, I just didn't see that. The food is awesome. Each night, there are added items to the buffet and you can always find something to eat. Very tasty and simply delicious. The grounds are well kept and we found staff to be very friendly. Our favourite server at the buffet was none other than Adonis Grant. A genuine great guy who wants to make your supper experience the best it can be. Very accommodating and always has a smile for you.If you go to the buffet, ask to be sat in his section and you won't be sorry you did. The beach is beautiful and there are always chairs available.

We went on three tours, the Cool Runnings Cataraman (Dunn's River Falls and snorkeling), Bob Marley Tour (awesome) and Mystic Mountain (zip lining and bobsled).

With respect to entertainment, there is always something every night. Not the best I have seen but certainly entertaining.

Booking your a la carte restaurants is also not a stress to book as I have read in other resort reviews. There are three Asian, Steak House and Gourmet and were all good.

Thank you RIU Ocho Rios, we will be back ! :)

Room Tip: We were in the #2 and it was close to everything.
1  Thank Moniquma
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Hotel was good overall but nothing special. You get what you paid for. Staff were friendly.
I had a great vacation overall. But next time, I would rather spend more money and go to a 5-star hotel like Iberostar or Couples.

Food: No room service but plenty of options downstairs at anytime of the day. Food was okay. It wasn't horrible, but it certainly was not good. Definitely go to the Jerk Hut on the beach and try the chicken and rice! Make reservations for dinner when you check in in the lobby. Do not go to the Japanese restaurant! Sushi was premade and cold (if I ever buy sushi from Duane Reade, it would probably taste like the ones they serve here). Ordered stir fried udon noodles and got stir fried linguini noodles LOL. The fried ice cream for dessert was really good. Mammee Bay for dinner was okay. Sir Richards was excellent! We got the duck and the red snapper -both very good. If I were to go back, I would probably try to make reservations for dinner at Sir Richards everyday.

Beach was beautiful! The section right in front of the deluxe pool has soft sand. If you go to the side a little bit there are corals (you can go snorkeling), bring water shoes if you have them.

We went to Dunn's River Falls through Scuba Caribe for $40 per person. Awesome trip. You go there on a catamaran. Once you get there, you don't have to hold hands with strangers like the other tours make you do. You can go on your own pace. Once you come down and go back on the catamaran, they serve you drinks and wait for the rest of the group to come down. Before you go back to the hotel, they stop at a snorkeling spot and you can go snorkeling or drink on the boat if you want. If you're going to Dunn's River Falls, I highly recommend that you book through Scuba Caribe on the beach.

Entertainment crew was okay. But we didn't go there to watch the entertainment.

The location of the hotel could've been closer to the airport, but I didn't mind since the beach was so beautiful. It was less than an hour and a half drive to the hotel. We used Reggae Tours for the airport transfer. So happy that we used them (Tropical and JTL have HUGE buses that stop many times)

Room Tip: The balconies on top floor (4th floor) of the deluxe wing have cement walls instead of metal railing...
2  Thank Sharon L
Reviewed March 7, 2014

Facilities: we found the grounds very well maintained. The resort is gorgeous. I felt the maintenance and grounds keeping was done very well in all areas of the resort in which we used; however, all of the weight machines in the fitness room need to be replaced. When we arrived at our room I found the toilet running, a simple adjustment of the flapper arm stopped the toilet from running. I mentioned this to a housekeeper two days later and within 3 minutes a maintenance man arrived to correct the issue I had already fixed.

Beach: The beach is beautiful. We never had an issue getting beach chairs. We were never hassled by non-resort vendors. The resort security did patrol the beach and got after the off shore vendors for fishing and jet skis.

Room: We had a 4th level (the first floor is listed as level 0) room. The room had a solid concrete wall instead of a railing on the balcony. This did prevent our viewing anything but the sky or the wall when seated on the balcony. However, at no time did we ever have the need to sit on the balcony since we were out and about all the time. The room was well appointed, spacious, clean, and housekeeping did a great job everyday. My wife loved the two bed concept as it prevented me from rolling over on her in the night.

Staff: We found all of the staff to be very friendly, respectful, helpful, and gracious. My wife and I were never ignored by bar tenders, snorted at by desk clerks, forgotten by waiters, skimped on by housekeeping, or harassed by maintenance staff.

Food: The food was OK. For the amount and variety of food which was available I feel they did a good job. The quality was what I was expecting. The highlight of the resort food was the Japanese restaurant.

Entertainment: We enjoyed the nightly entertainment provided by the resort. The entertainment staff did a great job. The acts which were brought in were fun. Although a couple of the dance reviews might have popped my eleven year old son past puberty if he had seen them.

Guests: This is an all inclusive resort which means the drinks are already paid for. This means that you will see drunks from 10am to 2am. Fortunately they tend to cluster in small areas around the pool bars. Unfortunately they are loud, obnoxious, rude, and can become mobile. The adult (gold wrist band) section seems to have had an older smaller group of drunks than the family section during our stay.

Scubacarib / attached company for beach activities: This company was the only negative experience we had during our trip to Jamaica. Their on line booking system for scuba diving would not work for this location. They lied about their scuba diving schedule. The girls running the shop don't know how to read their own scuba diving schedule. Their corporate office spent two weeks prior to our arrival blowing smoke up my backside, and then pawned everything off on the local shop.
The guys running the sailing, kayaks, and other beach activities are more aggressive in begging for tips then any panhandler I have ever encountered. They also do less work than most panhandlers I have encountered.

Room Tip: Stay on the adult side of the resort.
2  Thank Scott E
Reviewed March 6, 2014

My review may be clouded due to me being sick during my stay, however I found the service at the Riu to be subpar. The individuals working in the gift shop were very rude. The hotel staff were very afraid of management therefore my interaction with them was very difficult if I left non monaterary tips they found that to be insulting (this was my second vacation in the island my first was Cuba so i tipped in products as oppose to dollar bills). There was no peace at the beach as you are resting people are hailing you from the ocean trying to sell goods or drugs. I can't comment too much on the food as I wasn't well, but for the most part it was fine. I rate this resort okay; I'm trying to return to Jamaica so I can actually see if my hatred towards this trip is actually valid.

Room Tip: Upgrade so you can get free wifi
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 6, 2014

A group of 5 of us travelled to this resort from January 13th - 20th 2014. I am going to be honest, I have never been anywhere before, this was my first for everything! (airplane ride, resort, all inclusive) But it has definetly set the bar HIGH!

We had the deluxe side (18+) which was soo amazing. We had first floor garderview. At first when we first got our rooms I had hoped for a higher floor to have a better view (we were looking at small garden, fence and tennis court) But after the first drunken night we thanked out lucky stars we did not have to wait for elevators or go up stairs.

The food was definetly 5 stars! Not a thing ever made me sick or feel weird.
The service was perfect! Our favourite servers by the pool were Josie and "English"
Our Sunwing rep "Momma Sandra" was soo great remembered our names when walking by, quite impressive.
Free WIFI was great to have!
We did Bob Marley tour as well as the Blue Hole. Orginaly we wanted to do Dunns River falls, but after meeting with a tour guide (not with Sunwing) he explained that it is PACKED with tourists and suggested blue hole for a more intimate excursion. And we are soooo glad we did! It was amazing! we had 2 private guides to guide us through the waterfalls and cliff jumps. We had another couple that travelled with us but were staying in the resort next door, so it was just us 7!! I cannot even put into words how great it was and how amazing our tour guide was, My sister and brother in law had taken a chance and thanks to TripAdvisor we found Christopher Linton. He was way cheaper, more intimate, and so much fun!

Sunwing would have cost us 160+tax Per Person to do Bob Marley and Dunns River.
Chistopher charged us 50 per person for the personal ride in his tour bus. Then we paid our admissions Bob Marley $19 and Blue Hole $15 Plus tip to whoever you please. Our friends went to the Dunns River the day before and much preferred the Blue Hole!

Perks about booking Deluxe as opposed to Regular. Obviously the per fact that if you arent travelling with children then you also dont have to deal with or hear other kids as well. The Deluxe side was alot more quiet and chill. Pool was empty most of the time, and our side of the beach was never crowded. We can go to any part of the resort but our deluxe side was limited to ppl who had booked there. I noticed when going to the other side that the pool was a whole lot bigger but also way more packed with children and families. The beach was extrememly packed and hard to find seats but if you need then it was still nice and clean. Everyone shared the breakfast buffet and the Dinner buffet but had seperate snack and lunch buffets for deluxe members.

They have a special dinner that is cooked in the hallway right out side the buffet, I remember taco night SOOO good!!!, Jerk Chicken which was soo good to have twice lol.. Seafood night!!Jerk Chicken Hut!!! This is located on the beach on the regular side! Definetly need to try it.. IT is only open 12-6 so line up!! they serve Jerk Chicken, Sausages, rice and peas, and Jerk sauce.. SOooo good

They also have a lady that does cornrows. Its 2$ a braid, My brother in law for 4 done lol.. it looked great and we seen alot of ppl who had it done and looked good!

We did not go to the disco at all though,

and PS. Silver Tequila is waaaayy better then the gold!!!!

The ONLY downfalls:
No room service
Snacks are limited after Midnight to the 24 Sports Bar (sandwiches, hotdogs, hamburgers, Popcorn and nachoes and cheese) But everything opens up again I believe at 7am
pool closes at 6pm which i hear is the norm anyways but i wasnt used to that having never traveled

Because we had such an amazing time my sister is now getting married there Next year!!! Put down our deposit and cannot wait to go back!!!

Room Tip: Deluxe is the way to go IF there is no Children obviously
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!