“Overrated. Much better hotels for the price”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed December 10, 2013

I took my mother to this resort Dec 2-9. Her first trip to jamaica. I've been to the island at least 12 times over 20 yrs. Check in was easy. No issues. Room is a little outdated. We stayed in the deluxe side. Much quieter. No children or loud music. If you are interested in this you can always stay on the standard side.
Beaches are clean.
Hotel is clean
Entertainment crew are probably the best I've seen in any hotel. Interacts with guests
The main issue I had was mold on the walls. And food temps.
Outdated for a RUI resort. Obviously not reinvesting into their property.
Food temp has to be the worst , cold food all the time. Every restaurant. Avoid Mammee bay
Saw flies in the salad dressing, server removed it and allowed the guests to continue to eat it.
Never seen a manager in 7'days. Staff are left to take care of the resort ( leaving the animals to run the zoo).
Staff do not respect the guests. One morning we were woken at 530 am by someone pushing chairs around in the foyer. No regard for people sleeping.
The RUI has a good name but this resort is washed out. Lady hamilton or Bahia principe is the same money and quality service for your money.
This resort should be 3. Not a 5. That's for sure.

Room Tip: Stay in deluxe. Allows you to go to both sides. Free wifi. Stayed in room 1115. Close to everythin...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Joanne R
There are newer reviews for ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

Reviewed December 9, 2013

I was totally relaxed at this resort. My husband, brother and sister-in-law had a great time too. The rooms very clean, the food exceptional, the staff fantastic. We don't have one bad word to say. We were there from the 19th-29th of Nov. Richard at the front desk went above and beyond to help you. Roxanne in the buffet, her smile and manner are refreshing and there were countless other to help and smile. Jermaine at the pool bar (in the water) as it is 2 stories makes a chocolate monkey like no other and you have to try nitro-glycerine at the beach bar. The beach is beautiful but a little rocky. A must do trip.

Room Tip: had garden view in section C on the 5 floor- very quiet
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Pamela M
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Just returned yesterday from the Riu Ocho Rios in Jamaica. 24 year old female with 31 year old male.

Hotel: Lovely lobby, and beautiful grounds. Lots of rooms, two sections: standard and deluxe.
Standard you only get wifi in the lobby for 90 mins a day, deluxe you get 24 hour wifi which worked well. I stayed in the newer deluxe side of the hotel, the no kids side. Nice spacious room, had a oceanview room, I stayed in 1422. Awesome view! There are 4 floors, the higher you stay the better your view is if you have an oceanview room. No bugs or cockroaches either. It was very clean.

Food: St-Ann restaurant buffet style has decent food. Lots of variety. You can eat breakfast, lunch and dinner here. I thought the food would be better but I give it 3.8. Breakfast was my favourite part.

The Piccola Italian- Serves lunch, dinner and is open late for a drunken snack. It is okay here.

Plantation- Had a couple delicious lunches here, it is on the standard side, definitely eat lunch here. Lots of food and it is yummy!

I ate at a couple a la cartes, The Steakhouse my boyfriend (31) loved, he had the austriallian cube something steak or something like that, it was the last one of the options, he loved it. I had the herbs and chicken it was good too. Must eat at the steakhouse. The japanese..not so much. I had the tempura and salmon. The salmon was yummy. But we expected more and the portions are so tiny and it takes quite sometime to get the meal itself. We bailed on the gourmet restaurant, and went to get massages instead so I cannot tell you about that one. But do book the a la cartes asap as it fills up fast.

Ocean: Beautiful. Nice blue ocean,shallow and calm. Some seaweed but just go in from a different spot on the beach and you wont come into contact with it, you can see where the seaweed parts are.

Excursions: I went on the Dunns River Falls boat cruise with scubacaribe. It was epic. for $45.00 i got a boat ride from the riu to the falls, encountered TITANIC type waves which was awesome because we got soaked, and did the dunns river falls climb which was beautiful-bring water shoes or you pay $15.00 to buy them. Then back on the boat, went snorkelling by the coral reef, and then booze party on the boat. Dancing and drinking. It was a great 4 hours! Totally worth it and everyone on the boat (50+) people had sooo much fun.

Entertainment: Awesome entertainment team. SOmething to do almost every hour. They work really hard. Shout out to Mini Me. He is so tiny but full of tremendous positive energy and he is hilarious. The shows at night are ok. They get repetitive, lots of dancing and same entertainment crew. The beach party on monday nights are fun though!

Crowd: Lots of Canadians and Americans and some Europeans. Ranging from 20's to elderly. Great resort for families and couples. If you want to party it would be better to go here in February March April time. Even though we did meet about 10 people that we hung out with and went to Margaritaville with. Margaritaville is a local/tourist club. It is popping on Wednesdays and Saturdays! It was a blast. There is also a disco on site which has potential. The music was awesome if you enjoy dancehall/reggae. I got to whine up around di place. lol.

Jamaican People: Very friendly, I did find the service to lack though, I think its because its so laid back there its not like Mexico and Cuba where the waitors/waitresses wait on you like no tomorrow. Jamaica is more chill, so the people work ---a little slower I guess? lol. I didn't have a problem with it though. They love tips, and if you tip, excellent service. Shout out to Stephen and Jermaine for taking care of us at the pool bar. The drinks were hit and miss, some spots my pina colada was how it was suppose to be , other spots it was more watery. So I learned quick where to get my drinks made up at.

Pools- one big main pool, and if you are deluxe guest you have another pool you can use too.

Weather- I had 4 days of sunshine, 2 rainy days and 1 cloudy day. I travelled from Dec 1-8. Luckily, we left on the 2nd rainy day in the morning. So I didn't really have to deal with it. When it rains it rains hard but then clears up rather quickly.

Overall it was a good time. Would I go back? No. Only because once I go to a country I'd rather experience a new one next rather than go back to the same one.

Room Tip: 1422 Stay in the deluxe side. If you want bigger, newer, nicer, cleaner rooms. Also stay on a high...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank jennifer m
Reviewed December 9, 2013

First time at a Riu and it was a great experience.

Lots of places to sit on the beach/by the pool. Never had to search for chairs.

Bartenders were awesome. Never had to order my drink more than once from a bartender.

Entertainment staff were just impeccable. Always there to make sure you had great time! Always smiling and looking like they were having the time of their lives. There's no way you couldn't smile when they were around.

Loved the ambience of this resort.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Jessica C
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We went down for 4 nights to attend a wedding. The hotel is well maintained, very clean and the staff were friendly. The Riu is a very large hotel and we stayed in the adult only section and it did not feel crowded at all and there were no problems with lounge chairs at either the pool or the beach. The main restaurant the food was fine and plentiful and there are plenty of tables. The reservation restaurants were OK, the only hassle is that you need to line early to make reservations for the week. For the price of the trip, this Riu is good place to hang out for a few days.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank ChristineOttawa_On
Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

I have not been to any hotels in Ocho Rios for about 10 years after having a very bla experience with a hotel which it seemed everyone though was great. I just could not believe how low par it felt to me.
I decided to give RIU a trial after arranging a nice Thanksgiving getaway with a few girlfriends.
I read the reviews here and carefully listened to what people had to say, and ended up booking deluxe rooms which, though a tad more experience was worth it.
My travel consultant saw to all the details and we were transported from Montego Bay by JTL Tours. Our designated driver was Warren and he was very professional and did an amazing job of showing us the sights along the way and stopping to allow us to take pictures.
When we arrived. The staff gave us a nice welcome and listened to our concerns about what we needed, and worked to assign us rooms which were close to each other with great views. They were extremely pleasant throughout the process as well.
When we got to our rooms, we were quite happy with the room, the view, and the well kept grounds. It was breathtaking.
The property is huge and there are quite a few restaurants, so we had a lot to choose from. I loved the buffets and thought the food was good. We tried the Japanese for dinner and none of us were impressed.
Getting up at 7am to go on the beach was wonderful! The infinity pool was awesome as well. It was relaxing and fun. The staff was always extremely pleasant, kind and gracious and I felt no pressure to tip. It was a completely pleasant experience for me, and I especially like the fact that people seemed to listen and care about my concerns to ensure my stay was a pleasant one.
The entertainment staff was great, and did their very best to give us great shows at night as well. I had a lot of laughs and fun.
We have returned home and are already working out the details for our return trip.
Thanks to the amazing staff at RIU Ocho Rios for their kindness, attention to detail, smiles and laughter. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank NativeNYorker
Reviewed December 7, 2013

We had a very pleasant stay here in the riu the staff were really helpful and friendly especially kelvin singe from the dining room he was so nice he couldnt do enough for you,,such a lovely young man,,all the dining room staff were so nice,,the bar staff were great,,i would like to mention erroll and jermaine wray they were fantastic pool bar staff,,really friendly,,
On arrival we were booked in within 3 minutes very quick service,,the room is basic but exceptionally clean,,tv in great working order,,shower was fab,,toilet was clean,,the housekeeping staff were amazing and very friendly,,always fresh bedding and towels,,the mini bar staff were great too,,if ran out of water they were there re stocking your fridge within the hour,,the optics are pretty standard no top shelf makes but all was good,,red stripe topped up every two days,,couldnt ask for better,,people on here have mentioned roaches in there room,,we had one in the two weeks we were there in the bath,,didnt see another one apart from in the grounds on the odd occasion,,the beach is great,,could do with a revamp on the beach beds tho,,not that comfortable,,,beach towels are great always warm and fresh,,the food was amazing and im a picky eater,,the breakfast were fab with everything a hand,,all meals in the buffet restaurant are fab,,the only restaurant i didnt rate was the chinese mandalay,,that was a let down,,sushi was nice tho,,the steakhouse and gormet restaurant was amazing we ate there 3 times in two weeks,,and we found it easy with no problems to book these reservations dont know what everyones problem was with booking these restaurants..
The entertainment team are fantastic,,always somethin goin on,,they dont stop..great dancers ,,great entertainment,,fab :) dont understand why people are writing bad reviews aout this resort,,we had an excellent holiday and will be returning in the near future

I would like to add pauline calder our rep was excellent,,what a lovely bubbly helpful lady ,,she is a credit to her fantastic country jamaica,,thanku pauline for a fantastic holiday,,love lesley and paul

Room Tip: Up grade if you can its worth every penny
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!