“Perfect holiday!”

Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Nuremberg, Germany
“Perfect holiday!”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

We stayed at Riu Ocho Rios from December 16th-30th. It wasn't our first holiday at a RIU Hotel (stayed in Mexico and Spain before), but our first holiday in Jamaica. WE LOVED IT and sure will come back.

Check-In:
Very quick check-in, but maybe depends on our small group of people. If you have a RIU card, show it! We got an upgrade to a junior suite in the deluxe, adults-only section.

Room:
We stayed in 1129, on the first floor in the deluxe section with a nice view over the gardens and pool, in the background we also could see the sea. Room was very spacious, twin beds, extra area with couch and flat screen. Our lovely room maid gave us so many towels that I could use two fresh ones everytime I took a shower (and I did that twice a day!). Some reviewers talked about an odd smell, never smelled anything bad, except of something coming from the outside, maybe our neighbours smoking on the balcony. Balcony was very small, but ok. Fridge was stocked every two days, a bottle of fresh water every day, maybe for the people who use it for toothbrushing. But there is absolutely no need for it, never got sick of the water!
Room service perfect, don't forget to tip your room maid!

Pool:
We only stayed at the pool in the deluxe section, as we prefer a quiet surrounding. Pool was cleaned every day, waiters at the pool bar very nice, made a lot of jokes with the guys from the towel hut. There are big parasols, so if it starts raining, stay right at your place, you won't get wet, it is big fun!

Beach:
Very very clean, a lot of sunloungers, very shady with palmtrees. Have never seen any vendor on the beach except of the spa team that belongs to the hotel. The sea is wonderful. Water is very warm!! Warning: Don't go beyond the line without water shoes, my husband stepped into something at the coral reef. There is a lovely wedding chapel on the beach, so you can watch all the weddings while swimming, great fun:-)

Food:
I heart many complaints about the food but nothing of that is true. Yes, the food isn't very warm, but that's nothing new in southern countries. Dear german people, even if your food doesn't come out hot of the kitchen, you can eat it!!!!!! There is a large variety at the buffet St.Ann in the evening, many dishes for vegetarians, a wide choice of salads and desserts. I loved the mexican and jamaican theme nights, only complaint I have is that they only did serve bammy once...the desserts were delicious, try to taste everything! Loved the icecream as well.
Breakfast was also splendid, everything you would expect for american, british or german taste: From pancakes with mable sirup to beans and eggs to muffins....delicious!

Restaurants:
Best restaurant is Mandalay Asian Buffet. Try the fried vegetables and spring rolls! So good!!!
We ate twice at Mandalay, twice at Sir Johns and once at the Japanese Restaurant. Sir Johns is also very good, they were so kind to serve me a special vegetarian dish. Perfect service. Didn't like the japanese restaurant - they promised me to bring me an extra plate with vegetarian sushi which never came. So I went out hungry....
Reservation for the restaurants was no problem, but I think this depends on the season...

Animation:
The animation crew makes an incredible job! Every night they entertain the people with dance shows and they really can dance!!! Twice there was a beach party with amazing fire show. And there were reggae artists and a steel drum band. That was amazing! I missed a magic show, but nevertheless, can't complain about the animation team! Didn't take part in the daily animation.

Service:
Service is good and maybe a little faster if you tip. We regularly tipped the guys at the bars and our room maid, as they were doing the best jobs. I know that people survive on the tips, but I also think that they should do something for that as well!

Excursions:
Don't stay at the hotel all the time! There are so many places worth to see! Take a local tour guide and support the people, you will see more than with a big group. I recommend Rose Hall Great House, Jamaican Swamp Safari, Green Grotto Caves and Dolphin's Cove. If you go to Dunn's River Falls, be prepared! There are many vendors with stupid tricks, if you don't pay attention, they sell you stuff you don't want.

Room Tip: Try to get an upgrade for the Deluxe Section!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Janina P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,151)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Red Deer, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Just had a couple things I wanted to mention about our recent trip.

The buffet food was what you expect in an all-inclusive. As some others have posted, it was difficult to book your restaurants, however when you walk past them or when were finally able to book a restaurant it was nearly empty. The Asian restaurant is actually just buffet style. Basically just terribly cooked Chinese food.

Our biggest complaint of this hotel was the lack of washrooms! They are basically asking for people to pee in the pool. To get to the closest washroom from the pool, you actually have to walk the Lunch Buffet eating area! We found that lots of time it was quicker and less hassle to climb the 3 flights of stairs (didn't mind the excerise, but the elevator is terribly slow and only 1) to our room.

Bartenders and staff were pretty good, usually happy and do a good job of keeping people happy.

The life guards and rental guys were a disappointment. They were always trying to scam you for money for "mandatory lessons." I can understand that they don't want people getting hurt or not having fun with a more difficult activity, this is supposed to be a free service provided by the hotel. I found that after you told them that you were no long interested in doing the said activity, all of a sudden you could do it for free.

We were down there for a wedding with a bunch of friends. The wedding was a nightmare. They changed the venue about 3 times while we were there, they cancelled and "forgot" about spa appointments for the bride, and they charged $450 to play the first song dances (total of 5 songs) with their DJ!

Both the beach and pool are large and it is easy to get a lounge chair. No need to wake up early and put out a towel.

Despite the long 1.5 bus ride from the Airport (Montego Bay) I preferred this for doing the Excursions as everything seems to be about 30 minutes from the resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Scott D
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Returned to the Riu Ocho Rios for another year and its still lovely everything remained the same great staff , they still treat you like Royals from the moment you get there speaking to the front desk staff especially Chris , Stacey and Amoy they will go out of their way to make your stay comfortable apart from this the only problem that need to be fixed is the entertainment at night it really need to be improved upon Jamaica night should be Jamaica night with all its entertainment base on nothing but Reggae such as after a great jamaican dinner the resident band should be playing music during showtime so that the tourist can getup and dance and enjoyed the night as its labelled, apart from that it was a wonderful trip to returned to my home away from home.

Room Tip: Alll the rooms are great , if you need somewhere quite choose the deluxe section
1 Thank Cdd M
Langley, Canada
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Check in was a NIGHTMARE!!!!!!! We were a group of 32 in for a wedding. We booked the hotel rooms MONTHS in advance. One couple, who ordered the highest end room they had, $5,000 for the week, we told "they had no reservation" and to "go away". After an hour they FINALLY got that one straigtened out. We wanted a king size bed with an ocean view. We got there to find out they gave us a room with 2 double beds and the room smelled VERY much like mold. Back down to the front desk to let them know only to find out from Richard "There is no guarantee that you will get the room you ask for, that is only a request. You get what is available". We were AMAZED!!!!!! We have travelled extensively and NEVER found this to be the case. Needless to say, we were NOT impressed with Richard. Another fellow then took over and gave us another room, which instead of transporting the luggage up and down again, we left and Scottie went to check out the "new room". Turns out there was already someone IN that room. Back down to check in. We were at the check in desk for 3 hours! Not a great way to start. Oh, they also put the couple that was getting married in a room with 2 double beds!!!!!! One of our party who was travelling with her nephew, they gave her a room with a king size bed. She had to get a cot for her nephew to sleep on!! They tried to insist at the front desk that there were NO requests received from our travel agent. The bride HAD the list with her and showed the fellow at the front desk. Needless to say, we asked to speak to the manager only to find out there wasnt' one that night. The lack of communication at check in was UNbelievable!!!!!!!!!!The front desk referred us to Carlington Price the next day. We told him our concerns, and he straigtened everything out later that day. He moved the wedding couple into a VERY beautiful ocean view room and all the other couples that had issues were solved. The bell hop, Mr. Cambell, was an EXCELLENT ambassador for Jamaica. During our 3 hour ordeal he had us laughing, got us drinks, and did his UTMOST to console the group.
The entertainment crew at the hotel were AMAZING!!!!!!! They deserve a round of applause! ALL of the staff, no matter if it was cleaning crew, grounds crew, bar staff, WERE AMAZING and helpful. Our room attended, Deborah, was EXCELLENT! We always had fancy little animals different each day made from room towels. Nice touch!!
They advertise room service....NOT!!!!! They also say "snacks 24-7". NOT....well, yes if you consider popcorn and chips from the machine in the sports bar to count! The food at the buffet was just ok, nothing to write home about. 2 weeks is just too long to eat the same thing day in and day out!
The beack is absolutely gorgeous!!! The pool on the adult side is gorgeous as well, but it closes daily at 6:00 p.m. There is always lots of chairs and the pool was NEVER busy! The bar service is excellent, especially if you tip every now and again and how they remember what everyone drinks is amazing!

I have NEVER seen so many smokers in my LIFE!!!!!!! Smokers can smoke just about ANYWHERE!!!!! We are non smokers and found it difficult to get away from the smoke!
In short, our stay did NOT stack up to other inclusives we have stayed at. We will NOT be back!

Room Tip: MAKE SURE YOU GET A CONFIRMATION FROM THE HOTEL DIRECTLY ON WHAT TYPE OF ROOM YOU HAVE BEFORE YOU AC...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sandy S
St. John's, Canada
Reviewed December 3, 2013

What a fablous resort! From the Staff, the food, pools and entertainment there is no disappointment.
Starting withe the front desk they were very accomodating to keep my family together and offered us to upgrade to the Deluxe wing (adult only) for a very good price!
The rooms were standard for RIU resorts with dark mahogany details, marble bathroom and a nice sitting area.
The location on the beach was nice for me I did not see locals trying to sell nick-nacks and there is a Scuba Caribe center on one end and another local beach resort on the other end with security guards so I felt very comfortable and safe. Keep in mind, the beach is not a long walking beach.
The pools were great especially the entertainment around the pool was quite enjoyable. The main pool has most entertainment and the deluxe pool (adult only) was a bit more quite.
The food at this resort was excellent with many different options!
We were able to make a la carte reservations for the full week with ease and they took care of all the planing for us.
Overall, I can honestly say this was the first time on an all inclusive that I was not ready to come home once my 8 days were done. Would go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Sparsons91
Pennsylvania
Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I visit the Riu Ocho Rios in November for a 5 night stay. We had an overall good vacation, but I felt the need to list our likes and dislikes and clear up some confusion for anyone that may consider staying here in the future.

Pros:
The beach was large, clean, and beautiful. There was never a problem finding a beach chair, and the water was warm and refreshing. Towels were easily changed at the pool hut.
The hotel grounds were kept remarkably clean. Most times we were walking through, we would see staff actively cleaning things.
The weather was sunny and warm most of the time. With the resort being fairly secluded, there wasn't an issue with vendors on the beach at all, and the pool had ample space to swim and hang out also.
The jerk hut that serves chicken on the beach daily was fantastic. By far the best food we ate the entire week. A definite must.
The entertainment crew did an amazing job with their nightly shows. They really work hard to get the crowd going and put on great performances. The beach party with the fire was a great time also. A big thumbs up to them all.

Cons:
With this being all inclusive, I had some general expectations that were not met and caught me by surprise. In no particular order....
Others had mentioned issues with booking restaurant reservations and they were correct. Unless you wanted Asian cuisine, it was near impossible to get a reservation, and the hotel wasn't near capacity by any means.
We ate at the steakhouse one night, and it was less than stellar. My steak came out undercooked twice and I eventually gave up. We left hungry and had to resort to the buffet.
As for the buffet, we ended up here every other night and it was just ok. Had a decent variety, but we ended up here more often than I would've liked and I found myself with an upset stomach often after eating. Although the resort boasts 8 restaurants, most of them are not open a majority of the time, leaving you with only 1-2 choices per meal.
Contrary to their own website, this hotel does not offer room service. The listing of "snacks available 24-7" only refers to self-serve nachos or popcorn from the sports bar.
Also, we attempted to try windsurfing one day since it was listed as part of the all inclusive only to find out you had to first pay $20 for a lesson, then it was 'free' which didn't go over well. I was irritated and we did paddleboating instead.
Most of the staff we interacted with were less than friendly and welcoming. After a few days we realized to just stop trying. It took them nearly an hour to come remove a lizard from our room.
The worst part was the beer/liquor selections. Besides the local appleton rum, the rest of them were cheap brands I've never heard of with only one type of liquor (one vodka, one whiskey, etc). No variety at all, which is highly disappointing. This also didn't match the description on the resort's website.
Regarding the hot tubs in the pool, they aren't actually hot. They just circulated pool water through the jets, which we found odd. The pool closed at 6 also.

Overall, the food and drinks were very underwhelming but the beach was beautiful. The ride to and from the airport is about 1.5 hours each way. We generally enjoyed the warm weather and the ocean as well as the nightly shows. I just felt compelled to point out the discrepancies of their all inclusive policy. We have stayed at other all inclusives and this one doesn't stack up in that regard. 5 days was perfect for us, as the food variety was starting to get to me. I wouldn't return to this resort or recommend it for a long stay, but enjoy the beach and the weather if you visit here.

6 Thank goddess2230
New Hyde Park, New York
Reviewed December 2, 2013

My husband and I planned an anniversary trip to Jamaica. First part of our trip was in Ocho Rios at the RUI. The hotel is about 90 minutes from the airport. So if you don't like long rides, I'd suggest to look into Montego Bay. We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights. We checked in fast, no waiting around. Upon entering our room, we noticed two double beds (we requested a KING). We asked the front desk to change our room, that took about 30 minutes.

We go into the new room. At this point, we were both STARVING. We leave our stuff and look around the hotel to see what we can eat. The only place open at this time was the pizza place which had an assortment of pizzas, salads and pasta. Certaintly not great by any means.

The facts:
Upon check in, your issued towel cards. You can get a towel if you hand in your towel card. I like to use two towels at a time incase one gets wet, you still have a dry one. You have to return the wet towel to get a new towel. But there's only one place for the towel, so if your on the beach, you have to walk a bit to get to the towels.

Restaurants: Make reservations as soon as you check in. (before 4pm). They seem to not accommodate many of their guests with reservations. You can only book 3 restaurants.

TIP YOUR SERVERS!! It is a fact that the employees do not make good money and come from poor stricken communities. They provide a service to you and it would help to provide a tip for their service. It amazes me how some people demand things and just not tip. Be courteous of your servers.

The good:
The staff is great in what they do. They are very friendly and accommodating. They like to joke around with you and really make your stay enjoyable.

The beach at Ocho Rios is absolutely beautiful!! No vendors are there, and it' was so relaxing to hear the waves crash. This was my favorite beach of them all.

Jerk chicken was real good and authentic.

The bad:
Reservations at the restaurant weren't that easy. We waited a bit to get our reservations and they were nothing spectacular. The desserts were disgusting. If you have a picky eater, this place may not fit their needs. My husband and I were not impressed at all with the food. Definately could have been better.

Security box in rooms needs to be updated. We changed our room a 2nd time within a 24 hour period because of this issue.

If you asked me if I would come back to this resort? My answer would be no.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank NEspo316
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#27 of 81 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!