“first time to Jamaica”

Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Lakebay, Washington, United States
“first time to Jamaica”
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were there from Aug 14th- 19th. First the ride to the hotel was very long. I found the staff at the hotel to be rude for the most part. There were a couple of them that were really sweet. I think that the security at the hotel was not tight enough. There was one afternoon when my husband and I started to return to our room and saw 2 young ladies walking from the pool area and one was very intoxicated. Then I saw one of the locals taking pictures of these 2 gals and even had them posing. He began following them to their room and even called one of his buddies that showed up shortly after. I then began to follow them and even alerted one of the hotel staff about what was going on and he did not seem to care. We continued to follow them to the girls room. When we got there I assisted the girls to their room and confirmed my suspicions that the girls did not know these guys. We then chased these guys off and made sure that the girls were safely in their room. You could not even ask a question without someone wanting to be tipped. I consider myself to be a generous tipper. The room was nice. There was not much water pressure in the shower. The cable went out the second day that we were there. I will not stay here again. The food was good. The hotel itself was beautiful.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sharon M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,089)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bronx, New York
Reviewed August 23, 2013

I was a little disappointing on how the workers threat the return jamaican who are visitng so different from the white people, I guess they hoping for a better tips, the draw back is Jamaican who are supporting their island and visiting should be threated better, we tends to get attitude or it a sense of jealous among our own people. The food was good, entertainment ok, very expensive, but need better customer service from the workers.

3 Thank andrea a
sanjose
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our 2nd trip to this hotel, we really enjoyed ourselves! Stayed Aug 13th to the 20th. Had 2 jr suites just like last time. We got there in the evening so there was no line at check-in. The jr suites were nice, just as before. This time we were on the 1st floor, it was ok although I prefer the higher floors.
Pools and beach were great, no complaints there. The open bars were always ready to get you what ever you like, with or without the alcohol. Oh, for those who complained the drinks were weak, sure, its not top shelf liquor BUT just ask then for a double shot. The one day we were ordering pina coladas and french kisses with 4 (four) shots of liquor. ok, 2 of the guys had umm tummy issues later on so you can get strong drinks if you wish.
The next morning we met out housekeeper on the way to breakfast. She introduced herself and did a wonderful job keeping the room clean and always said hello when we passed in the hallways. The Resort is bug, but not gigantic, there is always someone cleaning are doing the landscape everyday.
This trip, we just had meals at the buffets. There was plenty of things to choose from. I would suggest you get there when it opens, Everything is fresh and arranged neatly, Some of the guests are not very good keeping things looking nice. (The staff do try to keep things presentable )

The entertainment staff is awesome! Really nice and friendly. After almost a year, they recognized us when we got there. Once again, they got my friend dancing on stage, by the pool etc etc.. The staff call him "Harry Potter" Although I think he makes an arss out of himself, he does get everyone cheering him on when they get him dancing.

The evening shows are entertaining. The Micheal Jackson show was great. Tuesdays they has the steel drum band, The SilverBirds" play, that was out arrival and departure day, so we just heard them as we were checking in.

We DO plan on returning, like I said everyone had a great time and hated to leave.

I would recommend staying here (on the deluxe side) I have read others reviews, some of the negative ones are kinda strange. this is not a AAA 5 Star resort that kiss your feet. The hotel is on the beach. They do not have room service, you are in the tropics so do you really want to attract bugs in your room??

If you are thinking about staying here, go for it. I dont think you will be disappointed. .

Room Tip: The deluxe side had the key cards not keys and flat screen TV;s and had the "quiet pool" O...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank kennysj-1
Ohio
Reviewed August 22, 2013

We arrived in Jamaica and started off the vacation badly by having one of our carry on bags taken by a fellow passenger on our flight. After we left the main airport terminal, we were directed to our bus that would transport us to the hotel. The ride to the resort is a long one (about 2 hours!!). Upon entering the resort location, it was beautiful!! The street is lined with tall palm trees and beautiful flowers. We saw several reviews before we left regarding the slow check in process, but we did not experience this. We unloaded our bus, and an employee assisted us with our luggage. It is placed in a separate holding area while you check in. We were then given welcome drinks and directed to the check in line. The associate quickly found our reservation, reviewed the restaurants with us and then told us the closest restaurant that was currently serving food. We gathered our luggage and headed up to our room. Upon attempting to enter our room, my husband thought that the latch had caught the edge of the door and began trying to knock it loose. It actually turned out that there was another family in this room. We had reserved a room in their deluxe tower, so we headed down to the separate front desk area for that tower. The associate immediately apologized and said she would go speak with the manager to have the issue resolved immediately. She returned a few moments later and said that they did not have any remaining rooms available, for what we had reserved and she apologized. She said that her manager had offered to move us to the non deluxe tower, but upgrade our room to a suite (we had reserved a jr oceanfront deluxe suite). She explained that with this move though, we would no longer receive the free in-room internet access and we would also lose the ability to eat at the additional restaurants. She explained that we would have to pay $15 daily to use the internet in our room, and since that was our main way to communicate with family we asked that she check with her manager to see if she could work out anything with regards to the internet access charges. She phoned the manager and she said no. She offered to down grade our room in the deluxe tower, and honestly we were just exhausted so we told her we would have to accept that. The room we were given was only oceanview, not oceanfront so be very careful when making your reservations! We did reserve oceanfront, but due to the overselling, we were given oceanview (which is what most of the rooms are). The room was spacious and clean. We never experienced any problems with asking housekeeping to bring us something. They always arrived in a timely manner after the request was made, aside from our last night. We requested additional bottles of soda and were informed that they would be unable to bring us any until the following day (and the time given was after we would have left for the airport).
The restaurants were clean, and always offered a wide variety for everyone. We ate at all restaurants on this property except one. If you do not mind the crowds, the buffet was fine for dinner. We liked the more relaxed atmosphere of the restaurants that were only available by reservation, so we tried to do those at dinner. We ate the buffet for breakfast each day, and the omeletes were delicious! For lunch, they offered a couple of buffet style restaurants, and the jerk chicken stand on the beach was fabulous!! We ate there several times, but again just try to be patient as the line can become lengthy at times.
The bartenders were excellent!! I saw several reviews that commented on the strength of the drinks, but when one wasn't strong enough, we simply asked them to add more alcohol and they always did so with a smile!
The evening shows were nice, because we were traveling with our teenage son so we did not want to leave the resort at night. The beach party is a night you won't want to miss, so make sure to check the board in the lobby for the show listings each day. The staff does a great job of trying to get anyone that would like to be involved, involved. We lucked out and were happy to find out that we would be celebrating Jamaica's Independence Day with them. They offered a couple of celebrations they may not have offered otherwise.
Overall, the staff is what really makes this resort nice! They work incredibly hard, and always have a smile on their face!
The pools were great. The pool outside of the deluxe tower, is much more relaxed and was rarely overcrowded. The larger pool was crowded at times, but that was probably because there were always activties going on.
The beach is nice, and we were always able to find a beach chair with ease. Their are maintenance workers that offer to cut down fresh coconuts for you, if you'd like. And they were delicious!! There are locals in the water right when you get in. They were friendly, and if you simply gave them a "No" they would leave you alone. We ran into the same guys everyday, and after the first few they knew we weren't buying anything and stopped asking us. My only complaint about these guys is that some of them sit on jetskis in the water, and offer to take you for rides. The problem is, they pull the line in and really restrict the amount of space you are able to swim in. In addition, they sit right over the reef so it makes it really hard to swim around the reef once they show up. We found that they didn't show up until around 10am on most days, so we just tried to beat them out there. And once they knew we were out there, they would backup a bit and even help point out fish for a little while, then they would move the line in LOL. They are also selling ganja and would often smoke it in the water. There were police on the shoreline, but they just turned their head the other way. Once we smelled it, we would just move somewhere else. I am not sure if the resort could do anything about this, but I would think so since this is supposed to be a private beach and they have it roped off.
The area this resort could work on the most would be management and their customer service! Since we attended a lot of the activities and shows, we witnessed several occasions where free upgrades were given out to guests throughout the week. In addition, we heard several guests (including our neighbors on their balcony) comment on how they had simply requested a free upgrade at check-in, from the non deluxe tower to the deluxe tower. I think this is wonderful, however I also feel that they should have made a better effort to find a room for us, that was not a downgrade. It was not due to anything we had done, that caused our room to be unavailable. I have contacted the hotel and the corporate customer service department regarding our experience, but I haven't heard back yet. If I do, I will make sure to edit this post.
Overall this is a nice resort, and we didn't have any issues with security. Would we stay there again? I am undecided at this time. It was nice, but the lack of customer service and poor management really hinder this.

Room Tip: I would go for a room in the deluxe tower because you have access to a few extras. Make sure if you...
2 Thank SnorkelGirl14
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 22, 2013

This was our second trip to a Riu resort, the first one being in the Dominican Republic. The bedroom was identical in both resorts, which was a familiar and comforting place. The resort had all the ingredients of the first Riu we visited: highly manicured gardens; swimming pools with swim up bars and jacuzzis (which, unfortunately, were not working); a spa centre and gym; a theatre, various bars and restaurants and shops. We stayed for 3 nights. We had to request a change of bedding as our bedspread was soiled - our chambermaid did this immediately and apologized, saying that she hadn't been at work the previous day. The food was very good and familiar as we are of Jamaican heritage. If you weren't familiar with Jamaican food, there were various alternatives, pizza being a popular choice.

We went to see the Michael Jackson show, thinking it would be similar to the one we saw in the Dom Rep. However, this show was absolutely fabulous! MJ appeared to be alive and well and performing in Jamaica!

We returned a week later to spend our last 3 days in Jamaica at the Riu as we really enjoyed it and we felt at ease and safe there. This time we were in a standard room and found that we had no bedspread, but a blanket and no extra toiletries, such as conditioner and body lotion. However, this did not spoil our trip. We explored the other wing of the hotel this time and enjoyed the pools in the "deluxe" wing.

We went to see another show called "Africa" but this was marred by several power cuts during the show. It was frustrating for both audience and performers. It is unfortunate that the hotel did not have standby generators on hand to rescue the situation.

Nonetheless, my family and I enjoyed the Riu experience and we would definitely visit another Riu resort.

Room Tip: We do not know what the "deluxe" wing rooms were like as we were in the same building but...
3 Thank Avisgirl
Houston, Texas
Reviewed August 22, 2013

All in All good Hotel. Food was good. Especially the BBQ on beach during lunch. We went for vacation in August 2013 for 1 week. Most of the staff very friendly. Show were ok. Little boring some days but the drinkies made it fun. Drinks were good. Steak house was good. Must make reservation. As far as excursions. Dunn Rivers was nice. But if you want more excitment and jumping from water falls go to the Blue Hole. More tourist starting to find out about this place. Take water shoes to both Dunn and Blue Hole. Dolphin Cove was real nice. I recommend paying extra for swimming with dolphins. you get your own little group and dolphin. You get to hold onto them for a ride. The beach in Jamaica very clear and blue. Ocean was calm. Very beautiful. I will definitely come back. I didnt get to do more excursions because I ran out of time.

Room Tip: I would upgrade to ocean front view. Or upgrade to Plantium.
1 Thank david a
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This is our second trip to the Riu Ocho Rios and as expected it was awesome. Our wedding Party of 74 was very happy with the service, quality of food and the facilities. WE all enjoyed the Jerk Pit and the local drinks. The staff was very accommodating for members that requested room changes to be closer to each other. The night shows were excellent and the buffets always had a large selection even for the vegetarians. The beach has nice waves and the sand is great for the kids. Excellent hotel!

The Willie Family

Room Tip: Request Building # 2 which is close to all of the amenities
3 Thank Shar16
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 85 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!