“Fun Times”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Overall the resort is nice. It was my first time staying at a resort, so I was unsure as to what to expect. I was a little apprehensive after reading previous reviews, but I had already booked my trip! The staff was VERY friendly, I did not come into contact with one staff member who was rude, they were all very helpful. The food was just OK, it wasn't bad and it wasn't good. I would have liked for food to be offered after 2:00am for us night owls. I only watched one show, Michael Jackson, and it was really entertaining! The drinks can be as strong and/or as weak as you like. The bartenders are not stingy with the rum! The swim up bar was a lot of fun, I just wished that it was open longer than 6:00pm.

I traveled with a group of people, and one person out of our group did not have any air in their room. After one night, they were moved. Just wish they would have done that earlier.

All in all, it was a good trip!

Room Tip: Pay the extra dollars for the delux wing.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank hubbyb9825

Reviewed June 10, 2013

My wife and I took our 3 grands kids for 6 nights. They had the time of their lives. Very safe, their own adjoining room, 1235 & 1236 looking over the pool and water. Great selection of foods even for fussy eaters like the kids. Good entertainment. No issues.

It's not a Ritz Calrton, but you are not paying that upper scale price as you would in Miami which would be 3-4 times the cost.

Easy check in, rooms ready. Great maid service with our rooms and messy kids. We did use MBT travle for a private van ride to and from the airport. For $100 each way for the 5 of us, no stops well worth it. Both drivers gave us some curture into Jamaica.

We tried the Steak House, Sir Richard and the Asain. The best was Sir Richard. Great Grouper. The other 2 were also nice. You get bottled wine at the gourmet resturants verses from the tap in the buffet area. I brought my own which worked out well.

Kids has pleanty to do, pleanty to eat, and lots of on going activities. At ages 11-16, they were exhusted one noight and all wnnt to bed at 9:00?

Would go back in a heart beat.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank PhilKay77
Reviewed June 10, 2013

I'm from Vegas so the quality of hotels and service are very different from the service at Riu.

Room smelled of wet mold the whole week. There was mold in the picture frames in the room. When we arrived to the room the bedding was damp, some stains, hair on the pillow and under the blanket.

The shower head fell off right when I turned on the water. We got new sheets fresh from the dryer off of a maids cart and found a dead bug folded into the sheets.

We told front desk and they didn't apologize. The manager of maids seemed mad at me for being picky about cleanliness. Didn't even apologize. And accused me of breaking the shower head. The shower head was not replaced until a full day later.

Food is salty and mediocre buffet food. The best dinner was at the steakhouse and sir John.

Service is better if you tip and you should tip since I'm sure the servers are underpaid and a $3 tip at every meal you have isn't bad. I saw 3 people tip the whole week I was there.

I was furious the first day I was here at the service and dirty rooms. I even showered with my sandals on. And lined the toilet in my room every time I used it.
After I told myself this was the cheapest resort and that I shouldn't expect anything grand, the stay went better.

There is a taxi driver named Gairy aka Senator 1(876)872-5181 he is great and always is around Riu. He will take you to any excursion you want. Let him know the Asian couple from Las Vegas referred you. :)

If you plan on excursions it's cheaper and more comfortable to go with him rather than a huge tour bus. You get to do what you want at your time.

Remember to negotiate prices with everyone.

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank Vegas7022
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We had a great time here. I went with my Dad with the idea of chilling out and doing the normal tourist things. We stayed in the Hotel for the majority of the holiday other than going out for tours etc. We also took the "risk" of walking outside the hotel, and was greeted by a local Jamaican man. He took us back to his village down the road and told us his story about life and how he sees Jamaica as a country. It was amazing to hear another persons opinion who lives and works there. The Hotel had everything you could want. Unlimited alcohol, food, pools, a nice beach, people selling "stuff" on the beach. Was a great holiday and i would return!!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank EmmanuelPettitt
Reviewed June 8, 2013

This was my first trip to Jamaica. June 1- June 5 I went with 5 girlfriends and we had a good time. The lobby is very nice and smoke friendly if you are a smoker. The staff was friendly and very helpful. Check in was not bad but our rooms were not ready we had to come back to see if our rooms were ready, no problem we went to eat then came back to check on the rooms and they were ready (one hour wait). Now the walk to the room was far and the elevator was no where near the rooms. I guess you can tell I don't like to walk LOL!. The rooms are nice and clean. I did not see any roaches like some of the reviews said. I had air conditioning in my room that worked very well. I was on the fourth floor although the numbers on the wall started with 3 so its a little tricky but easy to figure out. By the way I had on a red wrist band they have different colors and I'm not sure what it meant but I felt like the red bands were the lowest. Any way the food was good it was a lot of Jamaican food and American food. If you think your drink taste weak just ask them for some more they will gladly pour more in your cup. Breakfast was the best in my opinion. The entertainment was fine. The club was boring I guess it depends on the crowd that goes there. Please make sure you go to The Jerk Chicken Hut on the beach OMG that is the best food on the island. He is usually out there about 2pm please don't miss him. We did the booze cruise through the hotel which included snorkeling and Dunn's River Falls(bring your water shoes) you can choose different things to do. Now if you go off the grounds to go shopping for souvenirs (the hotel's gift shop is high, bring your own water camera) make sure you bring small bills like ones and fives. The vendors all have the same stuff but each of them will call you over to where they are so you can see what they have it sort of got on my nerves because it's like they try to hold you hostage and please negotiate it they say $10 you say $5 then work your way up never pay the price they ask even if you think the price they gave was fair. I would return to the RIU anytime.

Room Tip: It seems like they put you where the rooms are available. I say ask for a room near the elevator.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank SunRae82
Reviewed June 7, 2013

We, being 2 couples (in our early 50's) stayed at the Riu Ocho Rios, Jamaica from April 27 to May 5, 2013.

Check-in was fast. Though we did arrive very late - 11:30 pm at night. Will not take a late flight again as it was a 4 hour and 45 min. flight from Toronto, and then almost a 2 hour bus ride to Ocho Rios from Montego Bay Airport. That being said, we had emailed the resort prior to arriving and asked for an Ocean View room on a high floor and we were pleasantly surprised to have gotten an awesome room, a beautiful full ocean view room as well as partial pool view. Our room was fine. Air conditioning worked fine. We actually had to turn it down a bit. No complaints about our room. Mini bar stocked up every 2 days with beer and pop and every day with new water bottles. We had hot water all week at different times of the day and good water pressure, but our friends 10 rooms down had no hot water all week. It seemed the rooms that were aligned in the same area from main floor to top had water problems.

Our room was cleaned every day by 2 pm. Always fresh towels and a surplus of them. No shortage in our room.

Staff: no problem. everyone treated us really nice. though we take the time to smile and say hello and good nite and even struck up conversations getting to know the staff by name.

Pools: Awesome. Walk in temperature was wonderful. Lots of loungers. No problem getting one thought we were not there at peak time.

Beach: if you like to walk this isn't the beach for you. at best a 1/4 of a mile. we didn't venture past the security sign on the beach that said you were on your own after that point. Didn't feel totally comfortable walking too far (you couldn't anyways) as there was groups of locals hanging around the bushes and trees and didn't look too friendly. You could only walk one way on the beach as the other way was blocked by a pier and you couldn't get beyond it. The beach though was beautiful white soft sand and turquoise waters. Lovely to swim in.

Vendors: not really to many. they gave up after 2 days. they were not allowed to stand on the beach to sell their wares but had to stand in the ocean, haha. I just said no thank you and they didn't bug me after that.

Buffet: No complaints. Actually this resort had the best food we've ever eaten from an Caribbean Island. Burgers, hot dogs, pizza (awesome), french fries with gravy etc. all just like home. Jerk chicken on the beach was to die for. We had it every day. Get in the line at noon as the line does tend to get big and it takes time for the chicken to cook. The most we stood was 30 minutes. Only 1 guy cooking all the chicken and he wasn't handing it out until it was cooked to perfection.

Breakfast and lunch very good - lots to choose from. Dinner was also good. No complaints at all. This resort actually and Coke products not watered down sodas. Nice change. You actually enjoyed your rum and coke.

To be honest we had no complaints with this resort. We had a great time. We made lots of new friends from all over the world. Got to know all the animation team. They worked very hard to make everyone happy. They were not overly invasive of your time. If you didn't want to join they didn't harass you until you joined in the games.

The entire property was very clean and well manicured. Lots of palm trees and beautiful flowers everywhere.

Bottom line is we had a great time, good food and lots of fun day and night.

Weather was the best we've ever had. Daytime was mid-80's and no humidity and I know that because my hair didn't frizz up, lol.

We did only 1 day trip. Dunn River Falls. We did just the Falls only (4 hours from time you left the resort and back). The only problem was after the Falls you are forced to walk through an open air flea market. I found the vendors to be quite aggressive. I just put my blinders on and walked right down the centre and made no eye contact as I wasn't interested in looking at anything. I'm sure there was good buys - but I can't stand being harassed while shopping for souvenirs. I just bought at the resort. They had several souvenir stores on the property - actually cheaper than buying at the airport. So if you are thinking you'll get better prices at the airport on your way home - NO WAY costs were 2 times higher for the same products.

Any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Hopefully I touched on everything.

Don't believe all the negative reviews. Other than our friends having problems with the hot water, that was the only worse thing that happened all week. Glad it wasn't us, hahaha. Though I'm sure I would have been on the staff's backs until it was fixed or moved me to a different room.

Mary from Toronto, Ontario, Canada

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank eveline_4u
Reviewed June 7, 2013

This was our fourth trip to Jamaica and our third stay at the Riu Ocho Rios. The hotel os ideally positioned for sight seeing and chilling on the beach. The staff were very helpful and very friendly, always trying to bring a smile to your face. The food was very varied and of good quality, they have themed days where the have specific food of theme such as Mexican, French, but this is in addition to the usual choices. If you like a bit of adventure, I would recommend Dunns river in Ocho Rios, you get to climb up the waterfall while it is gushing all around you. not to worry, this is for the young and old, guides help you and you make a huge human chain make it even more safe, it's amazing. if you are a Bob Marley fan I would also recommend nine mile where he was born and where he is also laid to rest. Don't breathe in too deep, the air is filled with an interesting aroma if you know what I mean. The beach at the hotel is nice and big, plenty of room and golden. We never had to fight for a longer even when we went to the beach in the afternoon. Overall, a fantastic holiday at a very good hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for the top floor to prevent noisy people overhead from sliding furniture above you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 80 in Negril
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!