“Quick trip with the two of us!”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed May 21, 2013

My husband and I stayed May 11-15.

Beach: Was awesome! We brought our own snorkels but forgot water shoes, you need them there are a lot of sea urchins! The snorkeling was great just outside of the swimming area, we went every day. The beach was fantastic, no seaweed in the swimming area. The Jerk Chicken Hut on the beach was awesome, best food on the resort.

Resort: We tipped 1.00 each time we got a drink, which seemed to be good, not a lot of people tipped, maybe because the drinks had no alcohol in them:( The fruit shakes were really good, I would suggest getting a fruit shake each time because there is no alcohol in any of the drinks. The resort was really big, but not crowded, we went at a perfect time, great weather!! Buffet food was not that good, make reservations at one of the restaurants. Pack long pants for the men, if you forget the desk will loan you a pair.

2  Thank slicebackhand
Write a ReviewReviews (8,858)

Reviewed May 21, 2013

I just spent a week at the Riu (May 11-18). We went down for a wedding. Let me just start by saying the beach there is absolutely, breathtakingly amazing. The sand is so white, no stones, well groomed, and LOTS of lounge chairs. There was 1600 people staying at the resort and we NEVER had a problem getting a chair. The pools fill up pretty fast, which is standard at an all-inclusive resort.
There are 2 pools -- one is the party pool... music, watersports, lots of drinks.. the other is a little more quiet and relaxing, and also has a nice infinity pool. And for those of you saying that the alcohol is watered down, you are CRAZY! Some people were even asking if they could make them LESS strong.

ROOMS:

Great!! Clean, equipped with mini bar (dispenses perfect one ounce shots), 5 Red Stripe Beers (YUM), and 2 bottles of coke, a bottle of orange pop, tonic water and soda water. (Gin and Tonics were flowing). The cleaning staff is always on top of things, replace towels at any time you need, and even if you don't. We left twoonies and other various items out and they were not touched, only to clean under them and placed right back where they were. We had various towel animals and even once they took our blanket and made a giant swan.. she put my hat on it and it was so cute. The air conditioning worked FINE, and if for some reason it did not, they gladly moved a couple we travelled with without issue. We had HOT WATER everyday, no issues at all, both my boyfriend and I showered with hot water the entire time we were there. The bed is HUGE and comfortable. The blanket on the bed isn't the nicest, but they have nice fleece blankets as well.

SERVICE:

The staff at Riu is all incredibly nice. They are ALWAYS smiling, want to know your name, your story, etc. They are interactive with everyone and really most of them want to see you enjoy yourself, so you come back. Whether we tipped or not, we found they were always pleasant. You MUST look for Steve Wright, he is either in the main dining area or the fine dining restaurant (also sometimes the Asain a la carte). He is the sweetest, nicest guy on the resort. Always smiling, always ready with refills, anything you ask, he is there. He will even try to remember what you eat if you eat the same thing and might even get your plate ready. He's great and if you happen to have the pleasure of encountering him, you will be extremely happy you did. :)

FOOD:

One word: AMAZING. Tons of choices, theme nights nightly, seafood, tacos, jerk, you name it, it's there. If you happen to struggle with gluten free food, not to worry, they will prepare your meal specially, you just have to indicate that you need it. There is a main dining area where the buffet is open during breakfast and dinner. There are 2 other buffets open for lunch by either pool, and an italian style restaurant in the main area, which has YUMMY pizza and Jamaican patties. (open until 2am for the late night snackers). The sports bar has nachos and cheese and popcorn, as well as sandwiches and is open 24/7. There is a bbq on the far end of the beach that serves Jerk Chicken from 11-2, or whenever they run out. This is the pinacle of the food. It is so delicious, there is coconut milk rice (soo good) and various other items each day, but make sure you save room for the jerk chicken as well because if not, you're so missing out! :)

DRINKS:

Serving Red Stripe and Red Stripe Light on tap (so good) and pretty much any booze you can ask for. The bartenders are good, if you ask for something "islandy" they will whip up something fruity and fun, if you ask for shots, they sometimes make them for the whole bar. One of them was walking around with people's drinks on his head and making a joke with them to get their drink. You can get drinks 24/7 at the sports bar, so no need to worry about needing at drink at any time.

All in all, I was beyond impressed with my stay at Riu. I have no complaints, even at it's busiest peaks we waited no longer than 2-3 minutes to be served, no problem finding spots to sit, and really, everyting was irie mon. If you go, you should do the "Cool Runnings" catamaran to Dunns River Falls. It is well worth the money. You get a boat ride to the ocean, snorkle for 45 minutes, back on the boat to Dunns River Falls, climb the falls, back on the boat for an hour and a half of dancing and all you can drink. Well worth our time and money 100%.

We will most certainly return to the Riu, hopefully next year, we can't wait to go back!!!!!

I want to also mention that I had read some reviews from people that were not positive about this resort, and I really wonder if they've even stayed there... I think that really you get what you put out, and being that we were nice and friendly to everyone, we got that in return. There is never the perfect vacation, and it is what you make of it. I just want people who read the reviews to not be discouraged by the negative reviews, because there really isn't anything to complain about, the place is fantastic!

Room Tip: All rooms essentially have ocean view. The garden view rooms are just as nice as we got to see the g...
19  Thank Ashlee K
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My husband and I just returned from a week at the Riu. We had an amazing time and it was mostly to do with the staff, and the amazing people we met. The negative reviews of the staff are unfair, as we had an excellent experience. The only complaints with the hotel was that 1) we had reserved a king size bed and received 2 doubles shoved together 2) we paid for an ocean view but it was pretty much garden view with a bit of the ocean through the palm trees (although the garden view was nice but not what we paid for). The beach was very nice and the guys at the water sports end of the beach really went the extra mile to make our trip amazing (Jermaine, Damien and Anthony)! The best part of the trip was the tour guide, Mark, who we met on our transfer from the airport. He provided us with a cell phone with unlimited international and local calls, and had just about every connection under the sun for a fair price. We decided to take his number and contact him for several outings throughout the week where we got to experience the real Jamaica. I would recommend anyone looking for a safe and cheaper alternative to the pricy outings provided at the resort to contact Mark! With his permission I am posting his number for anyone interested 1 (876) 810 - 1060. If your not happy with the resort, don't let it wreck your trip. Jamaica is beautiful, go ENJOY it!

7  Thank Jessica G
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We arrived in the resort late night, the trip was very exhausting (3 1/2 by plane and 1hr and 45 min to the resort) but was completely satisfied with the service we got from the airport to the resort. Upon arrival at the resort I was relieved to know that the Italian dining room is still open (till 2pm), was dying to have a coffee and a snack .

We stayed in building 3 - garden view, very nice, quite, clean and a big room! we have a king size and a double bed. Keri-Ann our chambermaid did a great job everyday!

I must say I fell in love with the beach the moment I saw it! beautiful! we never have a problem finding a spot, nobody bothered us for anything at all! what amazes me most of the time is the lifeguard who takes his time to pick up litters and plastic cups around his perimeter.

Food wise, we can't complain, after 2 days we kinda get used to the entree', I like the jerk chicken and the rice and peas which they have everyday near the beach area, was yummy - most recommended. Also like the pizza for midnight snack before heading to our room every night.

Entertainment was ok but not so fond of it!

"Cool Runnings" was amazing! thanks to Dave who helped me overcome my fear, I'm a not a swimmer but with the help of a life jacket and a lifesaver tied on the catamaran, I was able to float and enjoy the water. The climb to the Dunn's River Falls was indeed an adventure, I had so much fun!! I'm not a "chicken" after all, I made it! thanks to my husband who pushed me to my limits..then, the drinks and dancing, boy oh boy! let's just say, what happens in Jamaica, stay's in Jamaica"

The visit to Luminous Lagoon, was interesting but not worth the money we paid for, won't recommend this outing!

Shopping @ Duty Free and the flea market, was ok, did not shop much but did find some bargains!!

Overall, our trip to Ocho Rios Jamaica and our at Riu...."PERFECT"!!! will go back in a heartbeat!

4  Thank Beachcrazy50
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My Husband & I booked out vacation May 6 through May 13 2013.We were both VERY exited because it was the first time we booked with the RIU Hotel, our visit however was very DISAPPOINTING to say the least! If your expecting a Wonderful and heart warming welcome DONT EXPECT IT ! Upon our arrival, which was later in the afternoon, no one acknowledged us until about 10 minutes later. When we were finally able to speak to someone who made us feel welcomed it was the luggage personal! He was the only one to greeted and offered us refreshments! If you ask me they are the ones who belong behind the customer service desk! After finally checking in we proceeded to our room only to find we were NOT given the key to our room ! It was very Hot, a very long trip , and now we were stuck waiting int he hallway for another ten minutes or so while the key to our room was located ! Truly not what we expected especially after the $$$$ that was paid for this vacation=/ In regards to the meals dont expect much either ! they have 7 restaurants to choose from however the dining experience truly is nothing in comparison to other resorts we have traveled to ! the Restaurants are all semi a a la cart so basically expect a buffet style dinner all across! NOTHING TO LOOK FORWARD TO ! & lack variation! DESSERTS are def not any better! SERIOUSLY Who can mess up Jello recipe ! I dint know that was even possible ! In regards to the drinks I cant really say much in this department as we really dont drink alcohol I can say however most of their "fruit shakes" are NO GOOD =/...Excursions were fun! We visited the dolphin cove $ 103 each and climbed Dunns River Falls =) I f going there be VERY VERY careful as the water currents are very strong and the "guides" that are suppose to assist you during the climb WILL LEAVE YOU BEHIND ! OVERALL I dont recommend this resort to anyone ! Staff is very very rude ! Not to mention during our stay a Hotel In the Montego Bay AREA was robbed ! def not what you want to hear when vacationing in a country =/...IF YOU STILL CHOOSE TO TRAVEL HERE ALL WE CAN SAY IS GOOD LUCK ! AND SAFE TRAVELS ! AS YOU WILL NEED IT =0

6  Thank Olivia G
RiuHotelsandResorts, Social and Community Relations Manager at ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2013

Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for choosing RIU Hotels and Resorts for your holidays and for taking the time to give us your constructive and valued feedback. For us every comment is helpful in improving the hotel’s services and for ongoing and future staff training.

We were concerned to note that we failed to live up to your expectations.

We are committed to give all our clients a warm welcome from the moment they arrive at our resort. It’s a shame that you felt this way. It is important to us that our guests feel welcome and comfortable at our hotel. The ethos of our staff training requires a helpful, friendly and very obliging service at any time. The behaviour of our employees not meeting this criteria is inexcusable. We will raise this issue with those responsible and figure out the problem so that it does not reoccur.

We thank you very much for your helpful and reasonable criticism and we hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

Reviewed May 20, 2013

My wife and I few into Jamaica on May 11,2013 we stay in a junior suite 1417,at the RIU. From the first night we noticed that the air quality in our room was very moist and had a bad smell We brought this to the attention of a manager Mr. Marcel he said that they would look into it. Noting happened. They told us that they were looking for a room. My wife became ill and had to stay in her room. Their response was to open the screen doors. So at 3 am I decide to speak with the night supervisor Mr. Philips who said he couldn't find me a room. I told him that I was going to sleep in the lobby on the floor. They gave us a very small room with A/C and with roaches as well. Section 1417 is also an area where they conduct wedding till 12 midnight.
The Infinity pool has exposed electrical wires. The chandeliers in several of the eating rooms are dangling dangerously from the ceiling. When I asked a supervisor he simply said that a lot of people have brought it to his attention. But they don't care to fix it. If you want pictures I can provide them my email is NCD1002@aol.com.

Never to return
Nelson Dones

Room Tip: Make sure that when you select a room find out ahead of time if the room is near entertainment that...
3  Thank Nelson D

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback and for expressing your concerns.

We are committed to provide excellent quality of our products and services to our guests. We regret to read that you have left our hotel with an opposite idea in your mind. I have sent your comments to the respective heads of departments involved and actions would be taken to address all your concerns.

However, we kindly ask you to contact our Customer Service Department via crm@riu.com for us to do a proper follow up.

We hope you will choose to visit us again, and give us a chance to demonstrate the high standards of Guest Service that are typical at our resorts.

With our best wishes we remain,

Reviewed May 20, 2013

The location of the hotel next to the beach is great, best beach we have been to. Rooms good and food well above average, the only downside is the entertainment which left a lot to be desired, it is the first holiday I have been to where we have played cards. The dancers were good along with the resident singers and the steel band from Kingston, otherwise the entertainment staff were naff and it would pay the Rio management to send them to the Iberostar Tainos in Cuba to see how cheerful, polite and hard working they are.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#27 of 80 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!