“Nice Vacation”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed May 19, 2013

W just returned from the Riu, we stayed May 11th -May 17th. We stayed in the deluxe building and had a oceanview. Overall, it was a great vacation. As most have mentioned, there were positives and negatives. I had read the reviews so I knew exactly what to expect at the resort. Here are my comments:

Positives
Spa-We did the couples massage and spent some time in the jacuzzi. It was really relaxing and romantic.
Entertainment-Sometime is was a little cheezy but they worked really long, hard hours and they were really talented and allows kept a smile on their faces.
Beach-There was a nice stretch of beach to walk on. I wish there was a bar on the beach but other than that no compliants.
Food-I really enjoyed the food. I always found something that I liked. My husband is a little more picky than I am and he sometimes struggled with finding something. The jerk chicken was really good!

Negatives
Rooms-The beds are 2 queens or doubles pushed together. They constantly separated so it was almost like my husband and I were sleeping in separate beds. On our last night we saw 3 roaches in our bathroom. That really spolied it for me. I spent the rest of my time worried that one of them were going to get in our bags. This was the one day that we didn't have our room cleaned. We put the do not disturb sign up and took a nap in our room. I wonder if they had been spraying everyday to avoid any issues because I never saw anything until that day.

Drinks-Like most all-inclusive resorts, the drinks were really watered down. But at the Riu, even the wine was watered down, which was really disappointing. The red stripes were on tap so they couldn't be watered down and they were really good and refreshing.

Overall, I did enjoy our time at the Riu, however, if we go to Ocho RIos again, I probably won't stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in Room 1259. It was in the Deluxe building. Oceanview was good.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AddictedToTravel35
Write a ReviewReviews (9,033)

Reviewed May 19, 2013

I've been to a few 5-star, all-inclusives in the caribbean and let me tell you, this ain't it! Having said that, it all depends on what you're in it for. If you're celebrating a birthday/anniversary and just want to party, perhaps this isthe resort for you. But if you're looking for some R&R, looking to get married, or want something intimate, this is not the place for that. This is a huge and LOUD resort.

I attended with a group of 45 people for a wedding. The bride was not happy w/ the lack of organization, and the small details they missed. Last minute they told us the reception would be on the beach - bad news on a windy day and for the ladies, expensive heels in the sand is not fun. After the maid of honour complained, they moved the reception to a buffet restaurant.

Most of the food was oily, even the soup, which made a lot of ppl sick. It is cheap, mass-produced food, and I never had the option of having an authentic Jamaican meal :( There were no munchies or anything to snack on, just buffets that served oily food. Food was a MAJOR disappointment -not five star at all! I highly recommend Sir John gourmet restaurant - the only place I had a decent meal. The rest of the a la carte's are nothing special AT all. The jerk chicken on the beach was great, sans fake jerk sauce. Be sure to tip the guy - he works hard!!! Bbqing in that heat can't be fun.

We upgraded to a deluxe suite. It was ok, but the view was awful and our room was right next to the entertainment arena and stage - super noisy. We had to call maintenance twice about the faulty toilet that didn't flush at first and made a very loud noise. Surprisingly, we never had an issue w/ hot water. Water pressure is always an issue on resorts. It wasn't that bad.
Rooms have a musky smell, bring air freshner.

Encountered 3very rude servers (females of course) but other than that, most ppl were friendly and willing to help.

Beaches are absolutely stunning on sunny days, didn't even bother trying out the pool. Why be at a pool when u have access to the breathtaking beach??

Not sure what other Rius are like, but this one here in Ochi is not 5-star. I hear the one in Negril is nicer. For the money you pay, this is NOT 5-star at all. Not a very modern looking resort either. The entertainment arena looked very outdated to me, and this resort is not even 10 years old.

Entertainment was the best I've seen at a resort, but still cheesy, in my opininon.

• Stayed: May 2013
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Let me first say that I have no regrets about staying at this hotel. I fell in love with Jamaica the second I landed. Our room was great, the food had its ups and downs but mostly ups... The staff were sweet, fun and entertaining. The beach, weather and jerk hut were by far my highlights.

Really and truly, I find it hard to believe that some people really pick at the little things wrong in a hotel and its people. I read so many reviews before visiting Riu Ocho Rios and I was alarmed. But was nothing short of a wonderful introduction to the beautiful Jamaica.

• Stayed: May 2013
1  Thank Samantha C
Reviewed May 17, 2013

A girl friend of mine and I went to this resort and it was great for a friends get away. As far as romantic, I wouldn't say so. This is a family resort after all. Most everything is a buffet. Breakfast and lunch are always a buffet. Personally, I like being served when on vacation and not so much buffet. Dunns River falls was awesome and so was our driver, Roxroy Mendez. We spent a little more than on the bus ride, but we got a private car and learned some interesting facts. He also stopped for us at a local jerked chicken place, that was delicious!! He was by far the best driver!!! Very personable and always had a smile on his face.
The hotel had a lot of "dings" here and there. It needs some caulk and paint for sure as well as a few cosmetic pool repairs.
Another small complaint would be you have to wear wrist bands the entire stay. I wasn't too fond of having something around my wrist at all times.
Would I come back? Sure, with my family. But never with my husband as a romantic get away. Couples swept away in Negril by far has been the best place I've stayed in Jamaica.

Room Tip: Most all rooms face the ocean. we were in the upgraded section, and did not see any problems.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank aprilmommy23
Reviewed May 17, 2013

We are currently honeymooning in Jamaica. The ride from the airport to the hotel is kind of long but Nelson our driver made it very entertaining and enjoyable. We even stopped at the "Ultimate"restaurant for the best jerk chicken rice and peas. Once at the hotel we got an upgrade from a standard ocean view to a to Jr. suite. When was nice but the view was of ate parking lot..the call it a garden view but not so much. The room smelled and the air conditioner is not the best. The best thing about the upgrade is the 24 hour access to the wifi in the room. The standard room does not have this options so you are limited to 90min wifi in the lobby. However the bed isnt very comfortable and the bed sheet has a slight snag in it. The food is not bad but taste a little differently from home. The entertainment at the resort is great a highlight thus far. Went into town to pick up a few items. The driver too us to a particular store and we believe the driver received a kick back or two. We stayed and walked around a little. Very competitive as you may imagine. But take you time and look around. We are doing the booze cruise today which includes snorkeling and Dunns River.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We went here with 3 other couples, this resort is great! service is great, beach is great, food is good, (expect it to taste different, its just not the same.....but still good, way better then Cuba's food)
I would go back!!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Steve D
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Great trip to Ochi w/wife & 2 kids 8&10. This is their 3rd trip-for me it is #34 or is it 35...I have lost count. I statrted coming to xaymaca when I was 25 & consider it my home away from home. I learned to speak Patois many years ago...the Riu was perfect, close to everything and great pool and resort overall. The kids had a blast and Dunn's was a highlight for all. I learned years ago to go very early and you miss the busloads of tourist. We had no problems @ the retaurants or with the room. Looking foward to next year as they will get an education about the resort area of Port Antonio. One of my favorite areas of the island!!!!! See yu when I see yu again, mon'!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: July 2012
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!