“YA MON this place is great!!!”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
New York City, New York
“YA MON this place is great!!!”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I visited this hotel during Presidents day weekend 2012 (February) and I had a blast. The staff was very attentive and entertaining. By the second day almost all the entertainment crew knew my name, which was funny because it sounded like they kept calling me “Irie”, meaning good in local slang, instead of Harry. This hotel is very diverse and you will find many crowds ranging from infant- elderly and local-tourist. The grounds were very well groomed and for those that value a good beach or pool this hotel is for you. My favourite features were the hourly activities, late night shows, unlimited drinks at the bar and in your room, and of course the “Jerk Hut” which had amazing Jamaican dishes.

HELPFUL TIPS: The hotel is very close to Dunns Falls and Dolphin Cove which are great spots to visit.

URGENT: For those flying into Montego Bay this hotel is around 2 hours away, but worth the trek.

2 Thank Harry M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,089)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We were lucky enough to go "deluxe" so had fantastic bedroom with seating area and balcony overlooking the ornamental gardens and pool. The pool is a secondary one away from the main block Room was spacious very clean . Grounds immaculate. Pool staff attentive as all inclusive constant offer to refresh drinks. Main restaurant very good all tastes catered for on a grand scale Breakfasts catered for all palates. Other restaurants in resort weren't quite as special as we hoped gourmet was quite good, Italian disappointing, steak house was ok but nothing special although cant fault the actual steaks ! Entertainment varied from knuckle chewing awfulness to absolute brilliance. Steel band and break dancers being highlight Wine is not good

4 Thank helenashenheim
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed May 8, 2013

My boyfriend and I just returned from the RIU and I have little if any complaints on this resort. As many people, I was very skeptical because of the negative reviews about bugs, service, etc. I spent my 30th birthday here and it was fabulous. I will comment on all aspects:

Location: breathtaking!!!! I was not so happy about having to seat on a bus for 90mins after just sitting on a plane for hours but it was worth it. The view on the beach is beautiful. The driver usually makes 1 stop, but your only there for a few mins and then on your way again.

Hotel/Grounds: The hotel grounds are beautifully kept, you will always see someone working on the property.

Beach/Pool: I really can't comment on the pool, we never stayed at pool, the beach is too gorgeous. We never had a problem getting a chair and the sellers in the water are not bad, tell them no thank you and they go away. The water is crystal blue and refreshing. We had mostly sunny weather except for 2 afternoons of clouds and rain.

Service: We had absolutely no problems with any of the workers, I'm shocked that some people said they thought the staff were rude! Remember, you give respect to get respect! The beach bartenders were the best! shout out to Adrian! He knew my bf and I by name and would have a drink ready for us if he saw us coming! And I did not think the drinks were watered down at all, we always told them more rum and it was "no problem mon"

Entertainment: It was on point every night. I have never been to a resort where they cared so much about the guests having a good time! They had a fabulous band a couple times, they were great, the main singer, a woman had an amazing voice! My fav night was the beach party, it was on Monday and a great way to spend our last night. It was down on the beach, with music, dancing and fire dancers!

Room: I agree with others when they say room needs updating. We were in the regular room on 3rd floor, we were considered ocean view but to see the ocean, we needed to lean over the balcony and see it. The room got cleaned everyday and did not have a musty smell at all. We always had enough towels and the water was always warm. The water pressure was horrible though. The bed is very firm, could have been softer. We did not see any roaches while there, we only had a few small ants in our room, not a big deal...we are on a tropical island and there are going to be beds especially since the hotel is open aired.

Food: As a 100% Italian girl who enjoys good food, I thought the food here was pretty good. We booked 3 al la cartes. My favorite was Mandalay (Asian) we went there the 2nd night, if I knew it was going to be that good, I would have booked all nights there. We did not like Sir John at all! The portions were teeny tiny and had no taste at all. The steak house was ok, the shrimp and steak were good, chicken was dry and sausage was horrible. The buffet for breakfast was great, something for everyone. I loved the omelets station. We went there for dinner twice, my boyfriend always found something but I was a little more picky and didn't care so much for dinner buffet. We also liked Plantation restaurant for lunch, they had yummy Panini's they could make for you and of course the jerk hut. You also must try the beef patties, I became obsessed with them!

*In regards to tipping, we tipped a couple bartenders throughout our stay and the maid when we checked out, we never felt pressured to tip.
**overall, we had a great time, it was a fantastic 30th birthday and Jamaica is a beautiful country! People need to keep in mind that Jamaican's are very laid back people and are all about a good time. If you are a constant complainer and need to be weighted on hand and foot, this is not the place for you...go to the Ritz Carlton!! No worries in Jamaica :)

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank ginamarie0583
Randolph, New Hampshire
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Our return for the third time, was just as wonderful as the first. Beach is fantastic, can enter the water without being swarmed by seaweed. Fantastic for swimming. There is always room in the shade or sun at the beach, anytime of the day or evening. The pools are fantastic, and fun with the animation crew keeping everything lively. If you want peace and quiet, just go to the other side and enjoy. As for the food, yum yum yum. There were always interesting thing to try and always something good for all tastes. The room was clean!!! and comfortable. We were ocean front with the beach just in front of our balcony, sooo wonderful, hearing the waves crash. The staff, need I say more was extremely accommodating, any little request were promptly responded to.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Memere2003
Lindsay, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We just arrived home from the Riu on Monday May 6th. It was an phenomenal!!

When we arrived to the hotel our rooms weren't ready as check in is at three and we arrived around 1:30 - no big deal, grabbed out swim suits and headed out to the beach - certainly not something I find worth complaining about. Once in our room we were delighted - we hadn't paid the extra for an ocean view room, but from our balcony you could see the beautiful garden/pond and you could see part of the beach and ocean (not to bad to wake up to I must say)!

The food at the hotel is amazing. We had three a la carte dinners and all three were great. The buffet is exceptional - every meal we had at it was good! You must try the jerk chicken hut on the beach - to die for (be ware of the hot sauce as it is VERY VERY hot). The drinks were also great - staff at the bars were very pleasant to deal with.

The entertainment staff were hilarious - always making sure everyone was having a good time - such happy people.

As you have probably read on other reviews if you travel with signature vacations Mama Sandra and Papa Hakim are you "go to" people and they are AMAZING!! They give you the no BS side of things and tell you straight up what to do and what not to do.

I would highly recommend the Dunns River Booze Cruise & Catamaran tour - this is something you do NOT want to miss out on in Jamaica - the climb itself is breath taking, and the tour back to the hotel on the catamaran is so much fun!!

I am already planning my trip back here - this place is fantastic!

5 Thank Kaitlin T
London, Canada
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We went with a group of 90+ people for a buddies wedding.
Everyone had a great time.
Most of the group was in between 25-35 years old, but we had some older people and a few kids. I did not hear one complaint from the crew.
I am not a picky eater... I really enjoyed the food... I could not believe the people who would leave a full steak on the plate and complain... I have no idea what restaurants those people eat at back home, but I found the steak was great.
The entertainment staff was fantastic... Get involved in the activities and you will have fun.
All in all a great wedding, and a great trip
You are not there to watch TV so who cares what the TV and rooms are like. Your only there to sleep for a few hours, the rest of the time you should be out on the beach or in the pools enjoying yourself.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank raffigb
Blackwood, New Jersey
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I really enjoyed my stay here considering that I was skeptical from the less descriptive website. this place wasmore than I can imagine. it wasbeautiful. the staff was awesome and friendly from therestaurants, bars, front desk, entertainment, and more. I felt like it was home away from home. Only issues I have was a roach found my last day and there was an evident shortage in wash rags and was told there was a two hour wait. The pros definitely outweighs the cons. I would stay here again.

• Stayed May 2013
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 85 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!