“Great time, friendly people”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Sudbury, Canada
“Great time, friendly people”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Everything was perfect. If I did have a complaint, it would be that it was next to impossible to book at the restaurants that required reservations and the buffet was just as good. The trip from montego bay when we first got to jamaica took closer to 3 hours than 90 min. It was entertaining but long.
The place was spotless though and everything they said they would provide was provided and the beach was beautiful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the deluxe
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank heajher

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,089)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our family stayed at this resort in July 2011. The rooms were great, the cleaning staff were thorough and consistent, the food was great. We are Jamaicans living overseas so it was good to have a resort that invested that much is providing good local food options. The facilities overall were outstanding and the kids (3 & 6) had a fantastic time at the pool and beach. It is also close to most of the attractions in Ocho Rios which made it very convenient. The only area of opportunity for the resort is guest parking spaces. The lot was crowded and sometimes very difficult to find a space. We would most definitely recommend this resort for families and we would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank DonS001
Sudbury, Canada
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We attended this resort from March 3rd to 10th. The weather was horrible but it's pretty hard to blame the resort for that. Everything was great. The food was awesome, the staff was very friendly, and there was lots to do. We went on three excursions: bicycle down Blue Mountain, swiming with the dolphins and a party boat cruise to snorkling and then to Dunn's River Falls. All were excellent and well worth the money. Took our minds off the crappy weather. I thought the folks at the front desk could have used a couple of courses in customer service. Super grumpy all the time! I hated the pool closing every night at 7 p.m. I like an evening swim in the pool. They give you a key to your room but don't mention that if you ask you can get a second key. Would have liked to have known that up front. And this I can't understand: they give you the key with a tag of your room number on it. So if you happen to lose your key, the finder knows exactly which room he/she has access to. Seems in this day and age a plastic swipe card would be more appropriate. Finally, no coffee pots in the rooms. What a killer! You can go down to the restaurant in the morning and get a small kettle of prepared coffee to bring to your room but a bit of a hassle for people who just want to wake up in the morning, make some coffee and sit on the balcony in their pajamas. All in all, a good holiday. My apologies to all of the men on the beach who asked me throughout the week to buy their weed and I politely declined.

Room Tip: Get an ocean view room that's as high as possible if you want to actually see the ocean and not...
4 Thank frankzappa-rip
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 12, 2013

Love everything about this property, Just returned a couple of week ago,
Great rooms, good choice of food, clean long beach and Staff Excellent.
Now let’s talk about Entertainment Crew: One name stands out - PIM outstanding entertainer, hopefully
Riu Management recognizes his talent and promotes him to higher Position. This man is phenomenal.
Love Silver Bird the Steel Drum band that he hosted, I have seen this group twice and each time blows
my mind. Getting standing ovation each time is incredible. PIM is special, Folks walk away with unique experience.
For this alone I will travel to this property again and again.

Room Tip: Building 2 good location.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
6 Thank Noori M
Reviewed March 12, 2013

First off, we had an amazing time!!!

We stayed from March 4th-8th.
A little background info, my boyfriend and I are 22 and 24 and we loved the resort.

We booked our trip with Delta Vacations and we found the whole process seamless. Tourwise is the group in Jamaica that works with DV and the bus that came for us at the airport was not the biggest luxury bus but did the job. Our driver stopped at a little place where you could grab a beers and very OLD patties (do not let this be your first patty experience) then we were on our way. It took close to 2 hours because we had to let off people at other resorts. Nonetheless it is a gorgeous ride.

We got there at 3:15pm and even though there was a crowd, it took around 15 minutes to check-in. It didn't even seem that long because they were serving alcoholic and none alcoholic beverages. The lady walking around with the drinks asked if you wanted more "Vitamins" in your drink and on came more rum!

We stayed in room 3556 in building 3. The resort was 80% full so when I asked for a room change and an upgrade, all that was available was garden views on the first floor so we stuck with our room. We were told to check back the next day and when we did, building 2 was still full so we stayed in our room.

When we arrivved at 3ish, the only food place that was open was the Italian buffet which does not only serve italian food. It was very good; they had pizza, pastas, salads and different cooked meats; one day there was Jamaican Oxtail there. My boyfriend and I always had a pina colada in hand (they were amazing!!!) as there was a bar never too far away!!Breakfast at St.Anns was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G!!! Omlette station was to die for!! jamaican food was available as well as a huge fruit station and deli and cheese station. Smoothies were made upon request as well too. Dinner at St.Anns (we didn't bother to get reservations at the restaurants although when we checked in, the lady was there with no line if you wanted to make one ) and it was amazing!!!!!! So much to choose from!! There was always fruit and dessert available (desserts were sometimes a hit or miss) and my favorites include the chocolate chocolate cake and NY cheesecake. They do have low calories desserts for those interested. Tuesday night was Mexican night hich included freshly made tacos with beef, pork and shrimp. Wednesday night was Jamaican night with some seafood and Thursday night was SEAFOOD night with lobster, clams, oysters and shrimp galore!!! It was our favourite night!!! Lunch at the Jerk Hut was amazing, they had prok, chicken, festivals and johnny cakes. The food was amazing hands down. Something for everyone.

Our room was good. We had a king bed which was the most comfy but when you are wiped out from the day's activities, it works just fine and I liked our pillows. Even though we were on the 5th floor, we had a huge balcony and did not have that cement wall.

Entertainment was great. We only stayed up for one night show because we were so tired from our activities but it was really good. They were singing Bob Marley songs. The crew was a very happy lot though as they were always walking around the resort ensuring you had a great time.

The beach was simply beautiful. The hues of blue cannot even be described here! I loved it so much and was the best part of my trip. My boyfriend loved it as well. There were always many chairs available as it is a huge beach because the hotel is so big. Yes the vendors were there in the early morning, but a polite no, and they left you alone. My boyfriend and I bought a necklace from them actually and spoke to them for a bit. Dr. Feel Good was the guy!!!

The hotel offers snorkeling, sailing, kayaking and paddle boating for free. We took the Catamaran cruise for $45 each which included climbing Dunn's River Falls, booze on board and snorkeling for 45 mins. It was so much fun.

Even though it was cloudy for most of our trip, we loved. I would definitely recommend this RIU to anyone and we are looking to go to another island using RIU as well.

5 Thank Dankat91
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 11, 2013

had 2 weeks at this hotel from 23 /02/13 until 09/03/13 and had an absolutely brilliant holiday all the staff were absolutely brilliant could not do enough for us ,the food in all the restaurants was incredible from the buffet restaurant to the a-la-carte it was all excellent . the hotel from rooms to beach was absolutely spotless 1st class resort. Would definitely reccomend this resort.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Lindsay F
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Let me start off by saying, the only downer on this trip was the weather. I was checking the weather like a mad man for weeks leading up to our stay (March 4-8) and it was showing mostly sunny. Lo and behold, we get there, and it was mostly cloudy for about 98% of the week. I check the weather for this week coming up, and....it's mostly sunny. Guess we picked a bad week.

RIU Ocho Rios claims they are 5 star, but they are probably a 4 at the most, 3.5 at worse. We found the entertainment was lacking, but they did try really hard. The food was OK. Honestly, I would skip the sit down restaurants and just hit the buffet every night. We had dinner at Tushima, which was horrible with the exception of the fried ice cream. We also had dinner at Mammee Bay, and it was just alright. Like I said, eat at the buffet every night, wider variety of food. The highlight, food wise, was the jerk chicken on the beach. Fantastic, make sure to tip the guy, he'll give you extra meat. Just fantastic chicken, I believe we had that for 2 or 3 days for lunch. It was that good.

It's about a 2 hour drive from the Montego Bay airport. Reason being is that they drop people off at other resorts, the scenery though was pretty good, managed to get some great pictures. I will comment on one thing, I never felt more like a tourist than I did when we were riding up to the hotel. The person on the PA system kept talking about how you can say "no problem mon" or "yeah mon" and everyone kept repeating this. Honestly it was a little insulting, everyone ate it up, but not once did we encounter this with the locals. I'm not sure if it's something they have to ham up b/c we think this is what Jamaicans say, or if this is really how they talk.

Beach and pools were clean, but because of the weather the pool was freezing.We got the junior suite with an ocean view and it was fantastic. Mini-bar, great view of the ocean and the pool area. We stayed on the quieter side of the resort since we had the Junior suite. Only time we saw vendors was on our way up to the jerk chicken hut. The vendors, based on what I saw, stay on the side the majority of the people stay at. I never saw them leave the water, they don't come on land. You're probably going to see them if you don't stay in the "deluxe wing" section.

5 Thank domrep122
Grand Palladium Jamaica Resort & Spa
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 85 in Negril

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!