ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Hibiscus Lodge Hotel(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
$115
$112
Hotels.com
Moon Palace Jamaica(Ocho Rios)
$585
$529
Ocean Sands(Ocho Rios)
$65
Chrisanns Beach Resort(Ocho Rios)(Great Value!)
$67
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
HotelQuickly
9,154 results
All reviewsjerk hutdeluxe sidesir richardssports barplantation restaurantjerk chickenmammee bayjunior suitemain buffetdunns riverspecialty restaurantssafe keygourmet restaurantcool runningsentertainment staffevery other daytowel cards
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My husband and I just returned along with another couple and had a fabulous time! The beach is perfect, pools very clean, and the staff is amazing! The reception area however needs a bit of assistance and always seemed short handed and frazzled. Check in was fairly quick but when we inquired about our room having a King bed, we were told they only have doubles in the Junior Suite Ocean Front rooms (unlike what we read). We were on the 1st floor (above the ground floor) and had an amazing view. We were a bit disappointed about the double beds but they were very quick to accommodate by attempting to make it into a king size. They also offered a room change the next day but our view was fabulous so opted to stay in our room (1162). There are 2 pools, the one on the deluxe wing in calm and quiet with a swim up bar (bar staff was excellent and a hilarious). The other pool is a bit louder and quite crowded but a lot of entertainment.
The restaurants (extra 2 with Suites) booked quickly but were able to get in to 3 of them. The staff is a little on the slow side but the food was very good. The buffets seemed to get a bit boring after a few days but a lot of options and they aim to please everyone's appetites. The omelet bar at breakfast was my favorite. For lunch, The Jerk Hut was amazing!!! We went as much as possible. All of the reviews I read about The Jerk Hut were spot-on! Go for the spicy jerk sauce and the spicy sausage!!!
We went on a few excursions. We found the taxi rate to be robbery but went into Ocho Rios to shop and heard that if you walk to the front entrance of the resort, you can get much cheaper rates. We went to Dunn's River and had a blast, admission is only $20 (you may be quoted a higher price at the resort). That is a must do while in Ocho Rios! We also went to Mystic Mountain for zip lining and bob sledding. The rates were quite high but have to say, worth every penny and don't regret it at all. There are many shopping areas in Ocho Rios and all are willing to bargain but recommend staying away from the flea market areas as you will be pestered a bit (be prepared to be generous)..... There are also a few "vendors" that stay in the water at the beach selling their "goods" but all you have to say is, "no thank you" and they leave you alone. "No problem Mon"!!
We had a wonderful time and read the reviews before going and found only 2 to be correct. It is a bit out-date but the staff will go above and beyond to make your stay a memorable one and second, the drinks seem to be a bit watered down (except at the Sports Bar)! I would go back for sure. One last tip, they clean the floors in the hallway and around the pool frequently... when the signs read, "slippery when wet", believe them or you could wipe out!!! ;-).

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank michsteag
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I stayed at Riu Ocho Rios in 2010 for a friend's wedding. It has actually taken me this long to write a review because I was so scarred by the experience. It was my first and last time down south, and I am only writing a review now because I am finally ready to try another trip to the Caribbean (NOT Jamaica) and was looking at other people's reviews and felt like I should share my experience.

Our entire week at the resort was great - it was beautiful, food was great, and the staff were friendly. We booked through Sunwing, who were ok to deal with (we booked 3 days before we left and got an amazing deal). On our very last day, at the very last hour, we were caught in the middle of a fight between a waiter and another guest (who happened to be Jamaican). It was very serious, and there was blood everywhere and they were breaking plates in the restaurant over each other's heads. There were children in the restaurant about 4 feet away, and the guest got taken away by ambulance in a stretcher. Right before we left to go to the airport, we had to speak to the police at the resort, and it became very obvious that it was corrupt. On the resort, we almost forgot we were in a third world country, but at that moment, it was very scary and we realized just how vulnerable we were. We basically ran to our bus and couldn't wait to come back to Canada - we never heard from anyone from the resort or Sunwing, and I have no idea what happened to either of the men. This may have been a one-off incident, but just be careful when planning a trip down south - even luxury resorts can have crime and can be dangerous. I always thought Mexico was the most dangerous, but it turns out that Jamaica actually has the most crimes, and is more expensive. Needless to say I would never return to this resort or Jamaica.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HotBiscuit
Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

Just got back from the riu, it was great to get away from the new york snow. I had a great time, the food here was very good. I reccomend sir richards and the sushi spot. But anywhere you go, even the buffet were very good, all fresh food. And they keep all the area clean. They have a new management team that just started a week ago, I must say,miguel the aasistant manager were very helpful&proffesional. He will help you with whatever you need. There also was another gentleman, im sorry I forgot his name. He is a manager there also and is from columbia. He also was helpful,all the bar staff were great. Me and my brother did the zipline/bobsled tour which was fun, nothing to crazy so dont be scared. The beach here is awesome very clean, snd the water is clear. Try the jerk hut on the beach it also is very good.

• Stayed: February 2013
3  Thank bobbygreeneyes
Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just got back from one of the best holidays for what we paid I am delighted we have paid a lot more and got a lot less. It is a big hotel but it didnt feel like that our room was 2109 lovely looked over the sea and pool.
How some reviews complain about the food is beyond me excellent choice fantastic I have never eaten steaks as tender ate in all the restaurants all great my only comment would be St John lacked in atmosphere but food excellent.Room was clean lovely big bed not the best room I have stayed in but the price reflected that.
Would have liked a little bit more of their music played instead of the entertainment team putting on shows but that appeared to be what people wanted.Loved the beach even the venders were funny trying to sell their wares manly ghanga but harmless.
Drinks were great please dont think they are watered down as some reviews have stated they are NOT and I am a drinker .
Had a couple of trips one to KIngston if you are a Bob fan go to his house if your not dont bother although you do see a lot of the country on the way also went to ocho rios do not try to walk long way worth the trip bought some great dance hall music the driver played for us to make sure ok before we left bless him
Go have a great time and remember how much you have paid a dam good price

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SueU
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I know this reveiw is going to come off as negative, but the resort really wasn't bad. We just paid alot more more this holiday than we have for better experiences elsewhere.We were looking for a 5 star resort to share with friends. This was our first trip to Jamaica.
The room was clean, though we had a bug problem three nights. Housekeeping came and sprayed twice which helped. We found it noisy in the hallway outside our room, which we found out later was right beside the service elevator and ice machine. We had to be careful with our safe, or it wouldn't open. We had to have the handyman come and beat on it to get it open. Our friends two floors above us had no problems with bugs or noise.
Our complaints were addressed quickly and politely," no problem mon".
The buffets were great, tonnes of selection. We were disappointed with the a la cartes which were just themed buffets. We were only able to book two of our three due to excursions, the Asian and the Steak house. We have been to other 5 star resorts in Mexico and the Dominican and found the a la cartes in Jamaica to be quite disapointing. Riu Vallarta in Puerto Vallarta, Mexico is my comparison point where the a la cartes were fabulous. Where you actually order three courses and they are brought to your table. I don't feel like I am being spoiled if I have to get up and schlep along a buffet line.
The pools were clean and always easy to find a chair as long as you didn't wait until the afternoon, as they would all be saved by then. Chairs on the beach were always easy to find. This is a large beach, with beautiful sand, crystal clear water and the best snorkeling we have ever had on hotel grounds, my husband saw a ray! The beach was covered in seaweed for a couple of days, we were surprised is wasn't cleaned up sooner.
Bar service was quick, with few line ups.
The Jerk chicken shack is so good, don't miss it. Usually each day from noon to 2.
One of the best assets of this resort is it's entertainment staff, they are really earning their pay. They were friendly throughout the day, and work really hard to make sure that everyone is having a great time.
Again, due to the cost of this vacation we had high expectations. We would go back again if we got a better price.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor, away from ice machine and elevators. Your travel representative at the resort will help you get this if your travel agent's request isn't met.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple