“Awesome trip” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Spring Lake, MI
“Awesome trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013 via mobile

I read some bad reviews about this place, but gotta say they are wrong. This is a great resort, we had a 5 apple square deal and this is the place we stayed. They were very helpful, my husband just mentioned it was my birthday and they had nice birthday cake left in our room, nice touch and unexpected. The food was great, in one of the main buffets they have different theme night, one night we had lobster and shrimp and another we had Mexican night. The other nights we eat in the specialty restaurants. The gourmet restaurant was good, the Chinese wasn't my favorite but others we were with liked it. The place is beautiful, we did get out to the pool early to get chairs, but there are two pools and lots of room at the beach. We had a standard room and it was clean and nice, like other reviews the beds are on the hard side but it worked. All and all this is a place we would go again.. We have done at least 10 all inclusives in the last several yrs, and this one of the better one's.. If anyone has question let me know. Don't forget to tip a little, the staff deserves it.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
10 Thank tlinck

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,069)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Chaguanas
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

I recently spent just under two weeks at this Hotel during a Business Trip. Except for Reception personnel, all others were truly fantastic and service-oriented. Reception was the absolute pits! I mean The Pits!!!! Food was great and the pools & poolside service were absolutely wonderful. There were some things I have come to expect from any hotel room and I have stayed in quite a few over the past thirty odd years, such as a radio, telephone instructions guide, small hand lotion, small shampoo & conditioner, small writing pad and a pen. None of these existed in the All-Inclusive room I took. Forget about purchasing some of these items at the stores in the hotel. I couldn't even get a writing pad nor mouthwash in any of the few stores! If you are looking for a place to eat, drink & be merry, this hotel is quite suitable. If, as I did, wanted a mix of both - business and leisure - forget the business aspect!

Room Tip: Ask for rooms up to level three because the elevator was extremely slow where I stayed!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank harjoon
Quispamsis, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Stayed here last March and this resort is beautiful. Great Food, Very friendly and helpful staff. There were a few vendors on seadoos that would offer you weed or a ride on the seadoo..but the resort staff frequently went along the beaches to make sure they didnt bother anyone. I had no issues with this. The rooms was great, great view from the ocean front Room. Only thing I would say about the top floor room balcony is that if you sit down in the chairs you cant see over the wall..as there are no see through railings on the top floor.
Resort layout is amazing..best Ive seen. The welcoming was also the best Ive seen..fast..everything was ready for everyone that came off our bus..very efficient.
We also left some Canadian chocolates for our maids and they were very appreciative!!
I highly recommend this resort.

Room Tip: If your staying on the suite side..That pool is very quiet so it is nice to relax by. The other pool...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Tara7nala
leeds
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

Ive just returned from The Riu Ocho Rios, I cant fault the hotel on anything at all.
I tried all the food there so did my girlfriend and my son in law , nobody got food poisoning or anything , some reviews say the food was repetative , yes but anywhere Ive been does get repetative after a fortnight away,
The rooms were good, no bugs , ants, roaches , no mouldy smell in our room , but my daughter and my son in law said there room did smell mouldy and the shower was hit and miss , sometimes good pressure , sometimes just trickle , our shower was fine. The beds were not hard , they were very good, Ive slept in worse beds.
the service in the rooms , housekeeping was very good , clean fresh towels every day , the mini bar in the room stocked up every other day, was all good.
The pool was big , there were two , one we couldnt use and one we could , but they have very loud entertainment there through the day , so we never really used the pool , but hit the beach everyday, my daughter , son in law and grandaughter preferred the pool though.
Everyone who leaves a review here raves about the jerk chicken hut on the beach, but its just ok , its nothing special, thats about it.
The beach is nice, there are "sellers" there, but a polite "no thanks" , is all thats needed, Ive had more hassle in Gran Canaria and Turkey than I did in Jamaica and we also went outside the hotel too !
The Dunns river trip is a must, so is Shaw park gardens , round the corner from Dunns River falls,if you go to Dunns River, see Mr Short and if you go to Shaw park gardens , see Ronald .
We never used Thompsons for any trip, that included the Bob Marley trip to Nine Mile, Thompsons wanted $100US per person for the trip , you get the luxury of an old bus picking up at different hotels for that price , you do get the entrance fee paid in though which is $20US , but my girlfriend and me hired a cab from the hotel , a guy called Ronnie, he took us not only up to Nine Mile , but also the where the squatters live ,drove through Fern Gulley and stopped off for various photos along the way, he was very informative ,all this for $90US for the car ! Even with the fee into Bob Marleys it worked out at only $130US, I did tip him $20US, Taxi is the way to go, you go at you own pace and we felt totally safe with him at all times, we used him for our trips.
The shows on an evening are pretty good , but my favourite haunt was the Sports bar , downstairs bar , internet and casino, great hotel , they dont expect tips, sometimes we did , sometimes we didnt, go and enjoy your stay and enjoy Jamaica.

4 Thank manajaLeeds
Kansas City, KS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We traveled as a group of 5 adults and found the hotel was beautiful and very clean. This is one of the cleanest hotels we have stayed. There is always a staff person cleaning. The staff is helpful and very polite. One thing we did incur is we booked 2 oceanfront junior-suites and we received oceanview. However, they were side by side to one another, so we were able to see the ocean and overlooked the issue as the rooms were together. I called twice to confirm oceanfront prior to arrival, but no avail.

The beach area is very nice and always seemed to have available seating no matter what time of the day you arrived on the beach. The chairs and beach were maintained nightly and ready for people in the a.m. The beach bar was great and provided easy access to drinks during the day. We only sat ocean side, but the pool area looked busy by afternoon and the pool bar was always in use.

We had liquor provided in our rooms and at every available bar. However, it was not premium liquor, but I did not expect to see Grey Goose and did just fine. The rum was great! I am not a beer drinker, but did manage to drink 2 Red Stripes while I was there. It was the freshest beer I have tasted!

We ate at one of the reservation required restaurants, Sir Richard Steakhouse. It was ok, but really our group enjoyed the buffet much more. So we did not waste our time on the other reserervation required restaurants. The buffet always had something different each evening and had a variety of choices for salads, fruits, breads and desserts. For lunch we always hit the Jerk Chicken hut and then got a salad and fruit from the Plantation Restaurant on the other side of pool area. Breakfast was always at Saint Ann's and I do recommend their Omlet station!

We are really not much on the evening entertainment, but found each night the whole group stayed for each of the different shows. We applaud the entertainment staff for their agility and flexibilty. They are very entertaining to watch and quite talented!

The hotel was large enough and there was some walking we had to do, but it was not a problem for any of us and enjoyed the walks. Overall, the hotel is very nice and comfortable. Check-in was not too lengthy and check-out was a breeze! We did not visit the spa, but saw if they had availability they would come by the beach and provide discounts on their spa services.

A big shout-out to Omar Nelson, taxi driver. He has a great sense of humor and will take you where you want to go! Ya, Mon! He is one of the taxi drivers that service Club RIU and does a great job!

We had a great time and are ready for our return next year!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank shar0n_d1
luton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

We stayed at the Riu for two weeks from the 19th of January,and thouroughly enjoyed our stay ,if you cannot find something you like to eat or drink here you are to fussy.
Staff were friendly and hard working,the shows for amateur entertainers were good.
The beach and the sea are wonderful especially the jerk chicken hut.
We found the Thomson trips very expensive over £200 for Cool Runnings and the Blue mountains.

If you need to change money go to the Gem Palace in Ocho Rios you will get a much better rate than the Hotel.Don't go to Mamma Marleys in Ocho ,a right rip off for food and drinks.

If you eat out there is a 16% tax and a service charge on top of your bill.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view,and try to get a room near the restaurants.
5 Thank craig53
Paisley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013 via mobile

Spent 2 weeks here and loved it.

I was worried that the hotel would be too busy as its big, but with 2 pools and a karge beach area there was plenty of spaces, the food was excellent, the jerk chicken is excellent, curried goat was a favorite of mine and breakfast was always excellent.

It was also good to have a decent cuppa available

The drinks/ cocktails were also good

The staff are friendly and even the lifeguards spend time chattin to folk to see how its going

The weather was good which always helps

Minor gripes

The directions at check in are not very thorough, the food hall sometimes gets a bitbusy

Would reccomend to a friend

The zion bus tour and dunns river falls are worth doing while your here

• Stayed January 2013
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,310 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!