“Great time of year to visit”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Johnson City, Tennessee
“Great time of year to visit”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This was our first trip to Jamaica.The temperatures averaged 82-85 degrees during the day (WOW)! We stayed at Riu for 4 nights right before Christmas 2012. This was an excellent time to be there because it was before the Christmas rush. We stayed in an ocean view room on the 5th floor.

Pros: A large variety of food to choose from at the buffets. The pools were very clean and well maintained (the pool at the newer area can be used by anyone and is much quieter). Our room was clean upon arrival and we enjoyed the full bottles of liquor in the mini bar area. However, I do believe the liquor was watered down. The wait staff in the restaurants were very polite and well trained.

Cons: The front desk attendant didn't give us a lock for our room safe. The Asian Restaurant was awful and it was buffet style. If I'm going to have to make a reservation and get dressed up for a dinner, I don't want to serve myself from a buffet. The hawkers in the water at the beach were a little scary. I've never experienced this at any other place I've ever been. The security and police that periodically patrolled the beach was a joke. Not once did I see them talk or ask the hawkers to leave. Our room was cleaned very nicely the first couple of days and then it went downhill from there. It seemed as though they were rushed and barely even cleaned the room. We have always tipped the help everywhere we have gone, but it seemed as though they were more aggressive in expecting tips for everything.

Overall, I would give this hotel an average-above average rating.

Room Tip: If you stay in the "older" section, ask for an ocean view room. It's a little more ex...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank TNtraveler100

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,123)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, Canada
Reviewed January 31, 2013

A family member booked her wedding and almost 30 people went to this resort. Just got home Jan.24/13. The staff at the resort are rude and very unhelpful. Believe me, we did tip when we actually had someone who was kind. They were few and far between. I do not like being treated like I am an imposition when ordering drinks. Of course we appreciated the select few who were kind and helpful.
Room mix up when we first arrived, what a mess. All booked King size beds in our group and only 1 couple actually got a king size bed! The rest were 3/4 beds pushed together and made as separate beds. Hair dryer in the room wouldn't work, took 3 days to get a new one. Empty, dirty glasses, plates left lying around at all times in the hallways and stairwells. Staff in the boutique on the first level around the corner from the main desk were terrible. Avoid that shop!
Pool areas became very rowdy in the afternoon in both the adult and children's area with drunks at the swim up bar, including body shots laying on the bar!
Entertainment was a joke. Worst I have ever seen. You can't blame the poor kids performing, they only do what they are told.
Beach was nice but the "vendors" were a pain. I guess OK if you wanted to buy lots of dope!
There are definitely 5 star resorts out there that are worthy of the amount of money it costs to go to one. This is basically a party-type wedding hotel. If a quiet, relaxed week is what you are looking for, avoid this one for sure! This is at most 3.5 *.
Best part was the buffet food. Forget the a la carte, they sucked!
MANAGEMENT WAKE UP! You have many improvements to make and practice before you can call this a 5* resort! I will make sure I tell everyone I know to avoid this place!

Room Tip: Oceanfront room had a lovely view. Not sure is was worth the extra $400 we paid though.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank M0m2013
Kingston, Jamaica
Reviewed January 31, 2013

This Hotel are located on the Beach less than 10 minutes out of the town of Ocho Rio in Jamaica
The Hotel have all I need for a vacation all kind of restaurants from Self Service with Buffets or Gourmet Restaurants, nice Bars
I have traveled around the world the last 20 years but I can guarantee the best fish I have ever eaten is in Sir Richard restaurant on just this Hotel

Room Tip: If you go here see to that you get a sea facing room, maybe upgrade to a junior suit
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
6 Thank Rolf_engholm
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Reviewed January 30, 2013

We have stayed in various Riu Resorts in different countries and Riu Ocho Rios did not disappointed us. First impression was uncomparable because they had a system were you had your room keys in minutes from your arrival. There were no long line ups at the front desk as they had it all ready for you.
The room was clean and they had a well stocked fridge .
Food was amazing .We only ate at the buffet because there were excellent choices every day . The beach was amazing too with nothing but sand to walk on ...no rocks or seaweed to deal with when you are sweeming . Great snorkeling . The beach was extremely safe for children and they had a life guard at the beach and at every pool .
The resort is divided into 2 areas and if you want to party with the staff and their games and laud music you stay in the right side of the beach and pools and if you feel like having a more quiet day you stay on the left side of the beach and pools so a great set up because you not always feel like partying nor always feel like being quiet.
This resort has many families with children witch we loved but if you are looking for a couples resort this is not for you .
The entertainment was fun and the group works really hard all day and night to keep everyone happy.
We will definately come back and recommend the resort to our friends.

Room Tip: We stayed in a room facing the garden and it was quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
8 Thank Norma D
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The wife and I stayed here from January 20th-25th. We loved this resort. I booked the cheapest room they had and had a great view of the ocean. The beds were a little hard but had no problem going to sleep after drinking rum drinks all day. We only ate at the buffet. I loved it. I was worried about the food because we hated the food at the resort in Mexico but the food was very good. I gained 11 pounds in five days!!!! The beach was perfect. Just past the roped off lines in the water was some great reefs that had a ton of fish to see. I spent most of my day out there exploring. The entertainment staff was very good. I also liked the staff. They were very friendly. I was a little nervous about staying here after reading all the negative reviews. I really don't know what everyone was complaining about. I do not have one bad thing to say about this resort.

Room Tip: Don't waste you money on upgrading to the deluxe rooms. I had the cheapest room there and the vi...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank hoosierboy72
Reviewed January 30, 2013 via mobile

I have just spent the best time of my life in this wonderful place. Having been going to jamaica now for ten years plus I never experienced the all inclusive vibe. Well let me tell you there is no other way to go but all inclusive. At first it felt exspensive but by the time I got there and met the staff and tasted the food man!!!!! I had died and gone to heaven.

The food was great I always found something I liked to eat the cocktails are out of this world!!!!

If there was one thing I didn't like was the security were rude to my family members who came to visit.

My holiday rep Pauline from Thomson is a diamond truly professional always on hand to help. If you visit this hotel go and say hi to her she's lovely. In my opinion I think all the nices people in jamaica work in this hotel from waiters to cleaners to managment. If you want to experience paradise book book book

• Stayed January 2013
6 Thank Britjam
Bronx, New York
Reviewed January 29, 2013

Great place! Very clean. Everyone is very friendly. Love the scenery. I stayed for 5days 4nights, with some girlfriends. This place is defiantly for an older crowd. We are in our mid 20s, and single lol. So we left off the resort almost every night to party with the locals! We had a great time. Horse back riding, Jet skies, climbed Dunns River waterfall. Wonderful food as well.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#27 of 80 in Negril
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!