“Great All Inclusive”

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed December 24, 2012

We flew in from Vancouver with our 8 month old baby so we were very exhausted. The room next to us were having a party and all we wanted to do was sleep. My husband asked to change our room and they upgraded us immediatly. We had to sacrifice for a double bed though instead of a king size bed which really irritated me because it was our anniversary. The hotel kindly provided a playpen for the baby which was really great.

The hotel grounds are amazing! The beach and the pools were exceptional.

We only went to the buffets and pizzeria. We could never get the early reservations so we couldnt go. They only had 9pm available and that was to late because of baby. As soon as you get to the resort make reservations for the whole week as they fill up fast. The best food on the resort that I had was the jerk chicken stand on the beach. AMAZING!!

We made a couple of trips out of the resort. We went to Scotchies restaurant. DELICIOUS. It's a 5 minute cab drive. We also went to Ocho Rios for some shopping. We went to the supermarket to buy all our presents. Theres also lots of vendors on the street but they were to pushy.

If you want to take a cab anywhere walk out of the resort and theres a cab stop. It's very cheap outside of the resort. We paid $4 U.S to go to Ocho Rios and $4 US to go to scotchies.

Ask the gardners for a coconut then take it to the bar for some booze.

Best Drinks: Mango Pineapple Slushy Drink with Rum, Strawberry Slushy Drink with Rum, Rum and Cream Slushy Drink for Breakfast

There's only wifi in the lobby so I bought the 7 day package for $50. It was worth it because I used it alot on the beach while relaxing. (Skype)

There is no room service. But there is a liquor cabinet with rum vodka gin and whisky. The fridge is always stocked with water juice and coke.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank muitoquerida
Write a ReviewReviews (9,007)

Reviewed December 24, 2012

Was recently on a cruise to Ocho Rios and was looking for something to do for the day. After doing some research we found that some all inclusive hotels in the are offer day passes. So we decided to give the Riu a try and we were glad we did. It was a short cab ride from the port and taxis were all over the place. When you first arrive the lobby is really nice. Open air and plenty of staff to point you in the right direction. Check in was easy. Cost was $90 per person and they do take credit cards. Some people may think it was a bit pricey but if you break it down it really was not that bad. You get use of all of the pools, towels, beaches, restaurants, entertainment and most importantly the bars! So from 10 am to 6 pm it was all you could eat and drink. Pool was huge, beach was clean and the ocean water was gorgeous. There was some locals trying to sell you some good "smoke" and their goods at the end of the beach and at the edge of the roped off swimming area but a simple no and they left you alone. Not one time did we feel unsafe. Food was just ok. They had a huge breakfast buffet and lunch buffet with all sorts of different foods. So you would not go hungry but do not expect gourmet. Bar drinks were good. Just the right mixtures and they just keep on coming.

I can not really say anything about the rooms but I would go back the next time I am in port.

4  Thank Pat H
Reviewed December 24, 2012

First time in Ocho Rios Jamaica, and I can say that this hotel just did it for me. The food was 10/10. The pool and bar areas 9/10. The beach was gorgeous. I thought that the shore line of the beach was somewhat small in diameter. Basically you can walk from one end to the other in 3 minutes. But that's not really a problem. The only problem I had was the guys working on the jet skis, who tried to hustle me every time i was walking.

Definitely visit Margaritaville night club if you're planning on going out. It's only 10 mins away by cab. But you do need to leave the resort to really get a feel for the jamaican culture.

The hotel has a great disco with a serious sound system. There is always a lovely nightly live-show with some amazing stunts. The facilities are always clean, and the staff are soooo friendly, chilled, and easy going. The a-la-carte restaurants are top in terms of quality. The room wasn't spectacular, but definitely an 8/10 or so in terms of shape. Every room has its own mini-fridge with beers/water, and a mini bar with 4 bottles. So you can easily drink in the room with your own bottle service, how sweet is that? The tap water is safe to drink, so I thought that was great in case you run out of bottled water.

All in all, it was an amazing experience, and I would do it again. Jamaica captured my heart with it's amazingly intriguing culture and music. I enjoyed everything about it. Ye Mon !!

Room Tip: Beach view rooms = A view from an angle looking at the beach Beach front rooms = Literally in front...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank asadek99
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was our honeymoon holiday.
Lots of cockroaches. Dirty beach, lots of broken glass in the water. Which some people might not complain , I wasn't there to party. I wanted to relax. We paid for a room upgrade and I looked at a top of a roof. After two days we went back to negril . Overall not impressed. The food was really good! The resort is big and clean , the staff is not overly friendly in comparison to negril .... Prob wouldnt go back. Also the locals sit in the water and bother u all day. So u don't want to even go in ... The beach chairs were all trashed.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Candice W
Reviewed December 23, 2012

All in all we had an absolute blast.

Pleasantly surprised by the amount of staff cleaning at all times of the day and the beverage selection was great.

As for food we were happy with the selection and the variety at nights (Mexican night etc...) We went to Mammie bay, Sir Johns and the asian restaurants. All we very good and considering my sweetie is not a sea food lover she found plenty of alternatives.

The entertainment staff... Second to none and the shows although got a little tiresome were worth sticking around for.

The room was typical for travelling. Clean but again another hard bed. We found very tiny bugs in the room but cleared them up with some sugar water in a cup.

The beach and the snorkelling right off the beach we're awesome. You'll always found a good place to soak in some sun.

Some drawbacks.... Locals were given access to the resort via day passes which included a ton of younger kids. We didn't mind so much but it did make for some loud afternoons. I suggest another Rum ;) to cope.

Was very impressed with Dunns River and stay away from the local vendors unless you can tolerate a lot of nagging and pressure driven sales. The Duty Free Shopping was good but again pressure sales.

All in all great trip. We'd be hard pressed not to go back!

Room Tip: Pick the Ocean View Suites but I wouldn't upgrade much more than that... The upgraded suites jus...
2  Thank DFox_774
Reviewed December 23, 2012

This was our first trip to Jamaica and definitely not our last. People were very quick to tell us how careful we would need to be but we never, not one time, felt uncomfortable or unsafe. You just have to use the same common sense you would use anywhere.

We always travel to Riu's as we know what we will get. The food was plentiful and no queues at the buffet. As always the morning smoothies were delicious. I have to say the food wasn't the best we have had but it was absolutely fine. The jerk hut was great, be mindful though before you smother your food in the hot jerk sauce...one day it's spicy, the next day it will melt your tongue! But it's always delicious! The rooms are just fine and the maids do a great job every day cleaning. The beds aren't the most comfortable but then we have a thick memory foam mattress at home so there aren't many beds that will feel as comfortable as our own. We never had anything taken from the room, the people who complain stuff goes missing must take some responsibility as if you are not going to use the free safe that's provided then?.......

We read that people are kept waiting at the bar, buffets and reception but this was just not the case for us, prompt service every time and always with a lovely smile. Check in and check out very prompt too. As with all Riu's you really don't have to stretch your eyes to see people cleaning, tending the grounds, gardens, etc. they do a great job and are constantly keeping the hotel beautiful.

As everyone says the entertainment team work as hard as everyone else, always high energy and really great dancers. Always with 'no pressure' either so don't be worried that they are going to pull you up on the stage as there is always someone ready to partake in the shows. If you see the Silver Bird Steel Orchestra advertised for the evening show then get a seat early. This group is phenomenal, truly brilliant!

The beach is great. Please don't be rude to the vendors selling stuff in the sea. Just because they don't have a company car and office doesn't mean they are not entitled to earn a living. A polite no thanks goes a long way, there is no justification for treating these folk as second class citizens, we are in their country remember. Grab a snorkel as there is a bit of reef with some great viewing for all kinds of different fish (you'll need 25US$ for a deposit which will be returned to you).

Jamaica is a stunning country so make sure you get out to see it. The Zion trip to Nine Mile (Bob Marley's birth and final resting place) is great. Gary our guide was just fab, knowledgeable, approachable, enthusiastic and great to listen to. When you get to nine mile there will be people selling ganja, as its something I've never done I was a bit apprehensive that it would be pushed onto us but this really isn't the case so please don't let that put you off.

(Just a note on tipping: it's not expected in the hotel but appreciated if you do it but out on the trips some folks will expect it. I feel they do themselves a disservice as if I feel we've had a good service we will always tip but when I am told to tip then it will be less than if it had been left to my discretion, be ready for it).

The highlight for us was the cycling tour down the Blue Mountains. Do it do it do it! What a brilliant day! They take you up to the blue mountains (so high you start in the tropical rainforest with your head literally in the clouds!) and you cycle down. As we climbed higher in the tour bus most people got apprehensive and a little nervous however, there really is no need at all. They look after you so well, lots of guides always in communication with each other and it really is a very gentle ride down. At some points I was in the middle of the group and as we were spaced out I was on my own gently cycling down these beautiful fragrant mountains, it truly was something I will never forget, just stunning! Can't recommend it highly enough! And you can pick up your blue mountain coffee beans cheap. Dunn's River Falls is beautiful also but I will definitely be going up the blue mountains when we go back.

A beautiful country, welcoming people, and authentic jerk chicken....what are you waiting for??
Enjoy xx

10  Thank Melanie572
Reviewed December 22, 2012

First of all I must say DO NOT LISTEN TO THOSE WHO SAY JAMAICA IS UNSAFE , if you stay in hotel and get tour guide (e mail me for a contact for a great guide) you will not have a problem.
The riu was a great stay,for me the people made my trip,a big hats off to Leroy at the pool bar and the crew.They treated us like kings.
Food was more than acceptable but the place I filled at daily was the jerk hut on the beach Noon to three pm. I would say this is NOT the hotel for older people or handicapped people who have a hard time getting around.it is a huge complex and it is far from room to pools ,bars and restaurants.
Beach is second to none,even with the salesmen in the water selling "seashells" aka weed,a simple respect I'm good will do.
Must dos....bob marley shrine,dunns river,in town day trip to shop and eat jerk.

Room Tip: Spend a bit more for the deluxe wing.all rooms face ocean so even if its garden you face ocean but v...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Hotel Riu Montego Bay
#1 of 1 in Ironshore
Sandals Ochi Beach Resort
Jewel Dunn's River Beach Resort & Spa, Ocho Rios,Curio Collection by Hilton

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!