This review is just an FYI for those travelers who frequent 5 star resorts. Compared to others, the RIU Ochos Rios was very nice but not necessarily a true five star if that is what you are seeking. This is our 9th trip to the Caribbean and our 4rd RIU vacation. The resort is clean and well kept, the rooms are decent but it seems to be missing some of the little touches that other resorts in this class have.
Here are a couple of things we noted missing which have been important to us in past travels:
1. Pool depths are 4 feet everywhere (except where the lounge chairs are located) which might be important if you have young ones who can’t swim.
2. There is not a place to get a real decent Cappuccino, Latte etc. There are a number of Nescafe instant machines around the pool/sport bars but no real baristas.
3. If you are allergic to bees/wasps stings, this is not the resort for you. This is the only resort we have been to where a significant amount bees where present (10-15 at any given time). They do sting the staff frequently (we only went to the deluxe pool, unsure if the 'party' pool is the same).
4. There is not a 24 hour snack/food location like other resorts (if you are travelling with kids this may be a challenge). You can grab cold sandwiches/ nachos in the sports bar if needed at any time.
5. The “Casino” is basically a number of slots in the sports bar.
6. There was no top shelf (or middle shelf) booze even for the deluxe section.
Here are a couple of things we found memorable:
1. The daily “Jerk” hut for lunch on the beach was very nice.
2. The entertainment staff and the staff in general are excellent and very friendly.
3. The Scuba Caribe Catamaran/Snorkeling/Dunn’s River trip was great and is approx $40 cheaper/ pp than the Cool Runnings equivalent.
4. The beach and in particular the Reef just beyond the buoyed markers was great with a variety of very nice coral and sea life.
Final Tip – The time of year
We went at the beginning of November, during the “rainy season” and true to form it rained quite a bit. This is due to the Blue Mountains which make a wonderful backdrop but also trap the moisture laden clouds. We would recommend going to Negril rather than Ochos Rios at this time of the year as they get less rain on the west side of the island.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated in northern Jamaica, on the beachfront. Two 6-storey buildings and one 5-storey building. Surrounded by 90,000 m2 / 107,000 sq. Yards of lush gardens. Complimentary sun loungers on the beach. 10 Km / 6.2 Miles to Ocho Rios. 4 Km / 2.5 Miles from various shops. 105 Km / 65 miles to Montego Bay airport. 600 M / 1,970 ft. From a bus stop. Credit cards accepted: MasterCard, Amex, Visa, Diners ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Caribbean Online Mgt Corp., Orbitz, Expedia, Despegar.com, Otel, Hotels.com and Travelocity so you can book your ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Riu Hotel Ocho Rios
- Riu Ocho Rios Jamaica
- Riu Ochos Rios
- Rio Ocho Rios
- Club Hotel Riu Ocho Rios
- Rui Ocho Rios
- ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios Jamaica