“Do not stay here!!” 2 of 5 bubbles

ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios
Ranked #8 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
“Do not stay here!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2012

Came here for a friends wedding, and I can't wait to leave!! The food here is virtually inedible! Everything has been absolutely disgusting including the drinks. I have had to go off the resort everyday for food. Ridiculous! The rooms are extremely outdated and we even had little bugs in our sink! But I cannot stress how bad the food is. It honestly tastes like everything comes frozen and is simply warmed up. The only good thing I can say about this hotel is the staff is very nice. Other than that, don't waste your time or money.

• Stayed October 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank TonLex

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2,069)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Lexington, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2012

Me and 5 friends just returned yesterday from RIU. It is a nice property, the people are always working, and guest services was a breeze for us. We all enjoyed it. This was our second trip, hotel was nice, but will probably stay somewhere else for variety. Nicest part of trip is the bar in your room with all the alcohol you want. Also if taking a trip, call Deon Hall, excellent service, total gentleman, always on time, call him 876-339-1292 or 876-371-2845. He picked me up from the airport and took us shopping, awesome!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in either A or B wing, otherwise you will be walking a long way. A/C here was excellent, we we...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Woodbridge, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Before our trip, I checked the reviews every day to see what we could expect during our stay at the Riu Ocho Rios. I was a bit apprehensive reading some of the negative reviews, but overall, we had an excellent time at this resort. My husband and I have been to Jamaica several times, and have stayed in Ochee, Negril, and Montego Bay before. We have also stayed at several all-inclusives ranging from Sunset Jamaica Grande to Sandals Negril.
We decided to book the Riu in Ochee since we had a good experience at another Riu resort in the Dominican Republic, and we knew that Ocho Rios offered several options for excursions. We stayed from Sept. 6-13. We traveled with friends, another couple, that had never been to Jamaica before so we figured Ochee was the best place to stay so we were close to the islands major attractions(Dunn's River Falls, Dolphin Cove, etc). The ride from the airport to the hotel is about an hour and a half but if you plan on doing excursions this actually saves you money in the end since you don't have to travel as far to get to the attractions...and the ride is scenic and entertaining, so we enjoyed it. At check in, we inquired about upgrading to a Jr. Suite. The staff was happy to upgrade us and the rate was far less then it would have been had we booked that room through our travel agent. We did have to wait about 30 mins while the staff worked out our room situation so we had rooms close by. This didn't bother us at all, since our rooms were ready by the time we had finished lunch! Our bags arrived to our rooms 2 minutes after we did, and the rooms were clean and well kept. Some of the reviews noted a musty smell that was unbearable to some folks, but it didn't bother us at all. It's just from the humidity and that's just the way it is in the Caribbean. I don't think the bad smells were due to the staff not caring for the rooms, it was more from guest smoking in the rooms. Bring some air freshener if this may ruin your trip. We got maid service every day, and were always replenished with plenty of towels and our room was spotless. We left the maid about $2/day, and she was excellent. We were very pleased with the Jr. Suite overall.
The beach was phenomenal! Crystal clear water that was about 75 degrees! Beautiful! Great snorkeling at the reef off of the deluxe wing. There were always plenty of loungers and shade...you didn't have to play the game when you get up at 6 to reserve your spot on the beach or at the pool. Almost as nice as the beaches in Negril! The pools were nice and clean. The pool bars are awesome and the staff there were great. There was an activity pool where they play games and hold contests and the quiet pool where you could just lounge and relax without a lot of noise.
The drinks at the resort were as good as at any other all-inclusive. Of course it’s not top shelf liquor, but if you’re ok with the local rum and Red Stripe there was plenty to go around. The food I would say was above average. My husband and I particularly love Jamaican food and there were always local flavors at the buffet. We only ate at one specialty restaurant, and the food there was of the same quality as the buffet so we didn’t bother to make any more reservations. For two nights they were out of lettuce for salads, which was a disappointment for me but I get it…it’s an island and if a shipment doesn’t come in there’s not much they can do about it. I just found some other veggies to eat. The jerk chicken for lunch was phenomenal…we ate that every day! If you’re staying at the resort for more than a week the selection can get a bit repetitive, so we opted to leave the resort one night for a romantic dinner in town at Evita’s Italian Restaurant. We had an excellent experience and the food was phenomenal! The menu is a fusion of Italian and Jamaican cuisine…Delicious! I definitely recommend Evita’s if you want to break the monotony of the dinner buffet.
As far as excursions we did the Cool Running’s Catamaran to Dunn’s River and the Canopy Zipline. Both were extremely fun and worth the money. Our friends went horseback riding and had a blast. Jamaica definitely has a lot to offer for the adventurous traveler…so be sure to get out and experience it for yourself. We’ve always made the best memories doing the excursions!
Overall, we had an excellent vacation at Riu Ocho Rios! The staff were friendly and the hotel was beautiful and well maintained. The only folks I noticed to be unhappy were the ones that were being rude to the staff. Basically just treat people how you would want to be treated. And remember that you’re on vacation…so RELAX! Also, be prepared to be solicited by the locals. Let’s face it…Tourism is the biggest industry for this country! If you are scared or offended when people try to sell you something then maybe you should stay on the mainland. Just politely say “no thank you” and move on. It offends me when some reviews speak negatively about Jamaicans being pushy or aggressive, when people should understand that it’s important for them to make a living and support their families.
We will definitely return to Jamaica, and would highly recommend this resort. The Riu Ocho Rios was a great value and an awesome vacation!!! Ya Mon!!!

Room Tip: Jr. Suite is worth the upgrade at checkin!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
16 Thank Kia F
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Hello Lillian,

For me, the trip was good. This was by far the best resort with the most activities I have ever visited. We enjoyed the shows and the night club on the resort. The tour to Dunns River was great and we did shopping for a great cost. Again, the overall trip was good. Breakfast was the best, and the staff was pretty nice. Most all the people with me said they would visit again.

The Not so Good :-(

Overall I thought the accommodations were sub par to what we have had in the past. What I mean by that is, the upgrade I had was not really an upgrade. I had to pay an additional fee of 54.00 when I got there to be Jr Suite OceanFront because I was only Jr Suite Ocean View (which I had already paid for) and I really wanted to see the Ocean. The room was exactly the way it was in the Dominican and in Cancun. I had the opportunity to see the rooms on the other side (the non-upgraded rooms) and I thought they were not so good and their elevator was always broken. This was also the largest resort I have ever seen so we were unable to visit each other in our rooms because the walk was too far. The food was ok, I did not get sick, so that was a good thing. 2 of the people had to change rooms when we got there and 1 person had a broken toilet as soon as they entered the room. Again, this did not make for a bad trip, it just happened. Lastly, of course I found bugs.. 1 room called the front desk because they showered with JACK, a.k.a. a ROACH, then another JACK a.k.a. ROACH was spotted on the plates in the dining room room. This is probably why I lost 2 lbs on the trip :-) I did not try a lot of the food, but the people who ate it said it was pretty good.

Again, the trip was cool not sure if I would do a RIU resort again. For me, I need more of an upscale resort with no bugs, great food, soft mattresses, and lots of fun.

I would recommend it to someone else though because you get your monies worth, I guess.

LaQuisha

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank MsQuisha
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

Went to this hotel in 2010 tried other parts off the island, but just had to go back. So we are off there again in 2013. We thought the hotel was great, staff, food and entertainment. The bar staff were great had us in laughter each night . Going out via taxi was easy too.
So all I can say bring on May 2013

• Stayed November 2011
2 Thank Kitties66
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

The rooms, food, pool, beach are what you would expect at a hotel such as this – very good to excellent. The area is clean – yes there is the odd bug/moth but that is to be expected. The cuisine is refreshingly local with a wide variety of choice.
We stayed in a junior suite and enjoyed the free mini bar and spirits/beer etc.
The one area that lets the hotel down is the reception. They are incredibly slow and unable to deviate from the script and think outside the box if something goes wrong. We spent two weeks there and I did whatever I could to avoid having to go to the front desk. For example, it took around 20 mins for me to simply get our key cards changed when they no longer worked.
For me, the best part of the stay was the entertainment. Usually, I would do anything to avoid a hotel show, but they were absolutely superb. The dancing, MCs, games, parties were second to none. I would go back for the entertainment alone. There is a decent club inside the hotel which is open to 2am and plays a great mix of music.
My wife and I ventured outside of the hotel by ourselves to see sites and nightspots. Ocho Rios is very ideally placed to see the sites compared to say Mo-Bay/Negril which are out of the way. We went to Karaoke nightclub and two other clubs. We had a superb time so don’t be put off by any scare stories.
We flew into Kingston and caught a cab to the hotel. The best thing to do is call a local Kingston cab –“On-time” taxis and ask for Colin, I think his taxi number is 6. We had a large van and cost $80. Very reasonable considering I got quotes upto $300.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JeffHardman
Perth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have just returned from Riu Ocho Rios, it was that good that I didn't want to leave!!!! I had an excellent 2 weeks, When we arrived in Jamaica we got through the airport very quick and onto the bus, it is a 1hr 45min journey to the hotel but once you get there you realise that a 10hr flight and long bus journey was all worth it, check in at the hotel was quick, we were travelling with friends and rooms were at opposite sides of the hotel so we asked if we could get rooms next to each other, no fuss from them at all and they changed rooms and got right next door!!
Rooms were fantastic very spacious, not that I spent much time in my room anyway, you have a minibar which is stocked every 2 days and vodka, rum and gin in optics on the wall!!!!

Life guards are at the pool from around 6.30am cleaning and handing out clean towels from 8am, all very friendly and always there to help you out with anything.

Restuarts - most of them are buffet style and there is always something for everyone even if you are a fussy eater you will find something.

Entertainment - Well what can I say, the entertainment team are there to keep you entertained and that is exactly what they do, they always have fun and games going on and keeping your spirits high to ensure you have a great time whether it be at the pool or on the beach (make sure you get involved), My favourites had to be George, Kevan and 007 along with Verona and Shaqui, but they all kept you amused!!!!
they also had some great shows at night time, Michael Jackson show was fantastic and the beach party on a Monday night was great fun.

I will be back again next year, fantastic resort and exceptional staff - overall excellent

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
ClubHotel Riu Negril
ClubHotel Riu Negril
#26 of 84 in Negril
4.0 of 5 bubbles 5,310 reviews

Been to ClubHotel Riu Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!