“Mr”
other travelers have booked this property
Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Inquiry
Very good
Loft with Twin Beds
Kitchen
7.Bath has Spa Shower with Extra Large Shower Head and Hot Water is available in all taps
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

romik22
Toronto, Canada
“Mr”
Reviewed October 7, 2015 for a stay in October 2015

I have ended up not staying at Sandcastles, but Howard went out of his way to answer all my questions and give me options to make it happen...it counts when you feel wanted. I will certainly look into booking this place.

Nidy H
Ithaca, New York
“Comfortable, Convenient, and Enjoyable”
Reviewed April 6, 2015 for a stay in April 2015

I travelled to Ocho Rios with two friends. The apartment is comfortable, clean, beautiful, and very well located. It is close to the beach, stores, restaurants, and the bus terminal. Miss Lulu, the housekeeper, was helpful and made sure we had everything we needed. Even though we did not have the chance to meet Howard, he was always accesible and very responsive. We had a very good time.

Your age range 25-34
Renee N
“BEAUTIFUL CONDO, PERFECT LOCATION!”
Reviewed March 31, 2015 for a stay in December 2013

We just came back from a lovely week in Ocho Rios. 6 days was not long enough to take everything in! We spent most of our time soaking up the sun on the nice beach that is by the property (even though it did drizzle a few times). We did manage to get some excursions in too though - Dunn's River is a must see, at first I was a little worried about climbing the falls, but they have a buddy system where the tour guide leads a large group of us, and they tell you where to step and everything. I personally had a blast! Its soo beautiful and the water is so warm (I'm used to colder temps up in Cape Cod). We also went to Margaritaville 3 nights during our stay. Honestly I don't know if it was the pina coladas or what, but we just had soo much fun!! They apparently have a sort of dance-party at night, and they play music and everyone just dances and has a great time. While we were there, there was a cruise that had docked for the evening, so it was a bit crowded, but everyone was just having the time of their lives! The Jamaican locals really know how to put on a party :) There is also a gaming casino right across the road from the Sandcastles resort (you can walk there) for calmer nights. Just go to the front desk and they tell you where everything is.

I was pleasantly surprised by apartment E35 too. It was really spacious, modern, clean and cosy. The loft was more than enough space for me and my two friends. Miss Lulu (the housekeeper) is very attentive but we didn't call upon her much since we spent most of our time outside. I also like that the resort allows us a lot of freedom to plan our own excursions, but if we did want any suggestions, the folks at the front desk were really friendly and helpful (and they have great accents too!). I honestly can't wait to go back to Ocho Rios, I'm already planning my next trip :)

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: How clean and spacious the condo was!
Liked least: Not being able to stay there longer!
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
JBEmpls
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“A total disapointment”
Reviewed February 8, 2015 for a stay in February 2015
person found this review helpful

This place was a real disappointment. We arrived, tired after a day of travel. Lulu met us at the desk and took us to our room, gave us a brief tour and then left. The room was smaller than I expected. It seemed as if the two of us were always in the others way. The view was of a parking lot, but since there were no window screens we didn’t have the windows open anyway.
The restaurant in the resort had good food, but the service was very slow and they wouldn’t take credit cards. Since this was a private rental we couldn’t charge it to our room either. They also only had instant coffee for after dinner. Something that seemed strange in a coffee producing country.
The next morning we found a half dead cockroach on the floor. In fairness I know they are hard to control and can fly in anytime. The place DID seem clean. We mentioned it to the manager and he seemed shocked and didn’t seem to even believe me so I sent him a photo. Later the owners suggested that we may have brought it in along with our luggage. Not quite the apologetic response I expected.
The beach was a public one near the cruise ship dock. Kind of dirty looking with a lot of tourists from the ships walking around and lots of local vendors pushing trinkets on people. Apparently you had to rent a lounge chair but we never got that far.
We walked into town to try and find a nice restaurant for breakfast and some real coffee. Local guys kept coming up to us all friendly like and offering to show us where a good restaurant was. The first one got picked up by the tourist police because what he was doing was illegal. The second one brought us to a local restaurant (not much was open because it was Sunday) and then asked for a tip. Apparently these guys get paid by the restaurants and shops to steer tourists to them and they can be quite aggressive. Looking around town there didn’t seem to be much of interest to go back to. Apparently most of the things to do and nice restaurants in Ocho Rios are not within walking distance of Sand Castle and involve hiring a taxi or tour service of some sort.
The real kicker came back at the room when we tried to take a shower. There was no hot water! This time the manager (Howard Stewart is apparently not the owner contrary to what it says on Trip Advisor) wrote “The hot water gets steaming hot in about 45 mins, so u have to leave it on.”
Really- they expect guests to wait 45 minutes and waste water just to get a shower! We left after only spending two of our pre-paid 10 nights there and they refused to give us even a partial refund.
I will never go back to this place, and probably not even to Ocho Rios unless I can find a nice all inclusive resort where I never have to leave.

Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Feb 13, 2015
This guest did tell us that he disliked everything:- the condo, the grounds of the property, the beach, the town of Ocho Rios and its people. Hence, we expected this disappointment to be vented into this review. While we were saddened that our guest hated the property and the town of Ocho Rios, the place is exactly as advertised, the pictures are as accurate as they possibly can be, and they are not professionally "touched" up and we have included a picture of exactly what is seen from the small balcony and what you see when you enter the access to the stairs of the condo. We state that the property is "in the heart of Ocho Rios" and we posted pictures of the beach. We could not offer a refund as there was nothing misleading in our brochure and the condo had all the facilities as advertised. (A recent guest pointed out to our housekeeper that 2 burners of our 2 year old electric stove were malfunctioning, and we installed a brand new stove instead of seeking to repair the existing one.) This guest in justifying his request for a refund sent us a close up picture of a cockroach, placed on white tissue and this text message:
""We are hoping you would favor us with some refund. I know that you rely on good reviews on Trip Advisor. I hope we can resolve this in a way we all can live with! Barry""

For the benefit of folks who are considering our accommodation we wish to clarify the issues raised by Barry, so that you can decide if this is your destination for a vacation.

Small space - The condo is larger than what most suites in an all inclusive hotel will offer. There is 665 square feet of living space. This is small in this guest's opinion but most people find it adequate for 2 - 4 persons on vacation.

The view - We have posted on our brochure a picture of what you see from the balcony. which overlooks what many say is well kept and beautiful gardens. Beyond this expanse of lawn and flowers there is a view of the parking lot where guests park.

Cockroach - This is indeed a first for us! Our condo is carefully sterilized after each guest departs and our housekeeper goes through a thorough cleaning ritual which includes treatment for insects. Many all inclusive do not allow guests to take food into their suites as this often attracts insects. As our condo caters for cooking, we are vigilant with our treatment for insects and if small ants come in attracted to food left around, our housekeeper stands ready to do interim treatments. Just tell her about any complaint that you have!

The beach - The beaches all over the island have suffered from a recent period of heavy rainfall and so in some areas the water appears murky but the beach is actually clean and calm just like the pictures that are shown on our brochure. The beach operators charge a fee to enter the beach but access is free for guests of the property. Other tourists just like the ones that stay at an all inclusive will be seen on the beach as they too can pay to enjoy the beach.

Hot water - The condo is supplied with hot water by solar panels and when there are unusually long periods of rainfall and the water is not hot enough the housekeeper shows each guest when checking in where the electric switch is (right on the kitchen wall) to turn on the electric heater. Very hot water is available at all times from all the taps including the kitchen faucet. If the electric switch which is very obvious and has a red button that is lit, is left on for your entire stay there is no need to depend on the solar supply at all!

Restaurants not open on Sundays- Our condo has a listing of numerous restaurants that are open every day and take major credit cards. Our front desk also offers suggestions of various options. We have a tour desk to organize tours of the island and we also offer a group of licensed taxi operators who can take you anywhere on the island including a variety of restaurants. Within walking distance there is a restaurant called Moms and another in the Simons plaza that are opened on Sundays for breakfast as well as other places within a 5 minute drive. Of course for the kids there is also a Burger King within a short walking distance across the road. The restaurant on the complex serves tasty breakfast options 7 days per week but they do not yet take credit cards but will have the card taken at the front desk while they wait on this service to begin.
All inclusive vs. self catering condo- Jamaica has some of the most awesome all inclusive in this side of the world. Prices during the winter season vary from $500 to $1,200 per night (double occupancy) and if you go to the higher end of the scale, a few of these all inclusive offer room service. None of the all inclusive however can offer you double occupancy for $60 per person per night. A self catering condo is for folks who may have special dietary needs or are health conscious and prefer the option of cooking their own foods the way they like it. Some of our guests do not like food prepared in bulk and dining and sharing swimming pools with 300 to 500 other guests. One of our most recent and delightful guest who spent 3 weeks with us asked our housekeeper for additional utensils to season her meats (and our housekeeper gladly provided them) and she requested a muffin tin to bake her own home made muffins! Unfortunately we did not have a muffin tin but we are certainly going to get one as we strive to make out guests feel the maximum comfort in their home away from home vacation condo!

Ocho Rios is a bustling little town near (5 to 10 minutes drive) to major attractions such as Mystic mountains, (home of the bob sled ride and zip lining), climbing the Dunn's River Falls where there is also a white sand beach, tubing down the white river and numerous other activities. Bob Marley Museum is further away but worth visiting. The beach that serves our complex also offers for a fee, snorkeling, a glass bottom boat ride and scuba diving.

Any type of vacation that you choose, whether our fabulous all inclusive or our self catering condo, make it Jamaica again!
Chicago. Illinois
Reviewed January 16, 2015 for a stay in November 2014
people found this review helpful

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: the bed in the master bedroom
Traveling group: Solo
Recommended for:
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Reviewed January 13, 2015 for a stay in December 2014

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Comfortable sofa on rainy evenings for TV watching.
Liked least: Bed was extremely hard - my husband slept on the sofa one night because his back hurt.
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 35-49
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   No.
Management Response
Jan 14, 2015
Thanks for your overall 4 star rating, we loved having you stay with us! Our comments about the negatives: we have had excellent feedback from other guests about our King sized pillow top bed that is fitted with a cotton padded mattress cover as well!. The unusual heavy rainfall prior to your stay affected the water at the beach but normally it is calm and the property will be clearing the weeds over growth caused by the heavy rains. The expanse of the beach is long enough that guests who want to avoid any cruise ships passengers can move further along the stretch to quieter spots. The restaurant and pool bar which were recently reopened will be improving their act! All major restaurants in the town accept credit cards of course with the exception of little craft shops and fishing village operated by local fishermen on the beach. We provide in the room a listing of numerous eating options that accept credit cards.

All inclusive hotels cannot be compared to a self catering apartment as the latter is for folks who want to experience a variety of local offerings and have the option to cook their own freshly bought fish and vegetables and not just meals provided for them and 300 other guests.
TammieWat...
Weatherford, Texas
“Paradise even with Liquid Sunshine”
Reviewed November 5, 2014 for a stay in October 2014

Where to start...

Liquid Sunshine is for all the rain we received.

The apartment was amazing. As soon as we walked in we felt at home. We go to Jamaica for the outdoors so as long as we are safe and the place is clean with a/c we are happy. This was that and so much more.

I like to start with the negative and go to the positive.
CONS - The ONLY con with the apartment itself was the stove and oven were quite temperamental but we managed just fine. It is a little smaller than it looks in the pictures but like I said, we don't go to Jamaica for the apartment. It was great/perfect for my best friend and I.

PROs - They did an amazing job in updating the apartment. It was/is beautiful. Miss Lulu is always available if needed. The A/C in the bedroom worked well enough to cool the living room as well. Plenty of space, storage, just about everything you need. With all the rain, we spent more time inside than expected and wouldn't have done that if we didn't like the place we stayed at.

I have no complaints about the apartment itself. We loved it. BUT I was very disappointed in the beach. It is NOT a private beach...it is very public and the "locals" will bother you as soon as you walk out of the apartment complex. Some even bother you in the complex. The men are the worst. I tried to go for a walk and get on the beach but it didn't happen. I'm just not comfortable going by myself with the way some of the locals talk to the visitors. This may not be a big deal to others but it was to me. This was a huge downer for me. The beach outside the complex has a chain link fence...not the view I was hoping for. Also lots of boats and metal and other stuff...again...not the view I was hoping for. The only other thing is we felt like we had a curfew. We are grown adults yet the "office" told us when we could have visitors and when they had to leave. I realize it was for the safety on both sides but we would never have people over we didn't trust. The slide took the hide off my best friends ankle. There is a VERY rough spot toward the end and it didn't just create road rash but in fact it took meat with it...not good.

The grounds are very nice...but no place to sit and enjoy them. The employees were always helpful and very pleasant.

If I could, I would take that apartment and place it in another location and then...it would be absolutely perfect. I would go back there again because all in all...it was a great place and we absolutely loved it. We spent some time at the beach outside the complex as well as other places. We made it work and were very happy with it all. I highly recommend this apartment and can't wait to go back again.

Liked best: The Apartment
Liked least: The Beach
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing