“Best Holiday - Great Place To Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Rooms Ocho Rios

Rooms Ocho Rios
Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
London, England
“Best Holiday - Great Place To Stay”
Reviewed October 14, 2006

I read all the reviews about Rooms, so was very apprehensive! However, upon our arrival, we were not dissappointed with the service, the room (very clean), the staff and also the restuarant (breakfast was good, but fruit would also be nice - Please say hi to Sharon). We were welcomed by staff at the front desk and taken to our room by a porter, who actually helped with our luggage (we stayed at the Port Royal in kingston, very grand, but no help, no iron). After a few nights we became friends with other guests and staff, who made our stay even more a holiday to remember. The food at the restuarant is great, but if your on a tight budget, then leave the hotel and you will find KFC, Burger King, Jerk Centre and many more. We visited Evita's, Mamma Marley's & The Ruins - visit these places for great food. Evitas and The Ruins will send a taxi for you upon booking your reservations and will return you to your hotel, free of charge! Myself and family felt very safe within and outside the complex. On the beach, you will find the locals and tour operators (say hi to Tony - he will tell/teach you alot and not over charge you, not that We had experienced any over charging). The glass bottom boat was a scarey experience, which i would not do again, but if you like adventure, then please try this for a fraction of the price which the Cool Runnings boat was charging ( for me, boats and lots of booze, doesnt mix). All in all, I cant wait to go back. I have told all my friends and hope to travel again in 2007.

• Liked — Affordable
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2006, traveled with family
16 Thank Brownsuga1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed September 7, 2006

I booked into this hotel after being in Ocho for a week with family and I found it to be ok and so did my 8 year old son.

The room was clean and i found the hotel staff to be friendly and polite. (You do have to remeber your in Jamaica).

The pool was small and shallow however i preferd it for my son as it meant i could keep an eye on him. The beach was ok and it was great to have the beach outside the hotel.

Once we left the hotel it was great as you were in the centre of everything. However be warned of people asking you if you want things (drugs, braids braclets) if you just say no it should be ok. I was also told loads of times that the men liked me and wanted to come back to my hotel...they all just accepted a polite no thanks and were on there way.

Alos be carelful if you turn left out of the hotel instead of right it seems to be a bit of a rough area near the 'clock', my son and i found everything we needed in the town centre.

All in all i found the hotel to be ok, the breakfast was a bit lacking and even the cooked option was not great. We ate in the hotel a number of times as the sun sets early and being a single person with a child i did not want to be out late at night.

This is a nice hotel with friendly staff and i did not experience some of the things others have been complaining about. I will stay here again.

• Liked — How clean the rooms were
  • Disliked — The breakfast on offer
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
14 Thank chrissy78
Toronto
Reviewed September 5, 2006

First of all this hotel has horrible customer service
When we arrived our reservation was not in the system even though we had made a tentative reservation few hours before at a guaranteed a rate of 91 $US per night. Upon arrival we were told that the reservation was invalid and that the only room left was a Junior Suite for 99 $US per night. Never the less we agreed to take the bigger suite. On our first night there we had a difficult time sleeping comfortably due to the loud music at the club (All star) right beside our room. In the morning we had asked for a room change, however no one had taken the time to get back to us. When we arrived back from our day trip we then inquired about a different room again. The first room was showed to us by an employee when we went to this room the balcony door could not lock, we did not feel safe sleeping in that room so we declined that room change. The second room offered was flooded with water that was coming from the air conditioner right above the bed, need less to say we declined that room as well.

At about 4am in the night we were still being disturbed by the loud music next door, we came downstairs and spoke to front desk, he at that time said there were still no rooms available. We then asked to speak with the Manager who told us that there was nothing she could do until she spoke with senior management.

The next night we again had the same problem, we went downstairs and asked for another room change Front desk showed us 6 rooms none of the rooms, were in an acceptable condition, in most of the rooms the balcony doors could not close other rooms had not been cleaned. In one instance the staff even opened the door on another customer that was staying there at the hotel. At that moment we demanded to speak with the manager at 3am in the morning, we had asked for at least one of our nights to be refunded she informed us that there was nothing she could do until she spoke with her manager.

It seemed as though no one wanted to help us have a comfortable stay. We were so angry that we did not even want room service to come into our rooms, as a result we did not experience the problems with the towels, but I guarantee we probably would have.

The rooms were a good size but that's about it, I Hated the fact that we had to drag our luggage upstairs and that there was no AC. The restaurant in the hotel is not good, breakfast composed of mainly bread and sugar, which would be a nightmare for someone was wanted to eat healthy or maintain their weight.

I think this hotel need to focus alot of time on customer satisfaction. I think the manager needs to take more responsibilty for customer satisfaction.

Overall we liked Jamaica, but Hated this hotel, the pictures are deceiving, the hotel needs alot of work. Security also sucks, one of the guards was falling a sleep and you are very close to the locals. You really get what you pay for!

The best thing about this hotel was the Cable TV and the location to all of the fancy restaurants and shops. We really enjoyed the Ruins (it is beautiful) I was not that impressed with Evita's and we really liked Margarittaville.

Remember to bring some Jamaica currency, because the exchange rate is not favourable. Everyone tries to overcharge you. Also remember to say no to the locals if you leave the hotel, otherwise you will end up paying them for crap service you did not ask them for.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Front Desk
  • Tips/Secrets — Dont Go
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lovetotravel0202

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Reviewed September 2, 2006

I just got back from Rooms on the Beach in Ocho Rios. I had read the reviews of this hotel and thought that it couldn't be that bad. Well, I should have taken the reviews to heart because it was not a good place to stay. I brought towels from home, because of what I had read before on another review. After going to the beach you want to have new towels to clean up with, they never did. They didn't clean our room, we asked for toliet paper and they sent the maintence man to fix the toliet. By the end of the week, we decided that we use the towels from the pool, becuase we were never sure if we would have towels. After speaking with the hotel staff they said that the towels come from Breezes hotel in Runaway Bay and that everyone doesn't always get towels in a day. I promise that I will never stay at this hotel again. I could deal with the cruise ships blocking my view of the ocean and our hotel being a public beach entrance, but the dirty room and towels just didn't cut it. The curise ships are there every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday, it has 2 sometimes 3 cruise ships in dock at one time.
Every morning we would walk out of our room and wonder where all of the food on the floor was coming from. It was because the hotel never picked up the room service trays and empty the trash, so the cats, the many cats that hang around at the hotel, which are like dogs because they eat everything that is left in the hallway and in the trashcans.
If you do go out and use a taxi, request Lancelot, he was really good and he took us a lot of places. Please remember to negoitate thefare before you get in the taxi. Otherwise, stay safe and have fun!

• Liked — NOTHING!
  • Disliked — No elveator, no clean towels, don't go...stay somewhere else
  • Tips/Secrets — Yes, here's a tip...find another hotel
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with family
8 Thank travelchic06
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I briefly stayed at Rooms On The Beach for 3 days on my 10 day visit a couple of weeks ago.Our group consisted of two couples. I have to admit I didn't have high expectations for this place, as it has gotten mixed reviews and it is one of the least expensive places to stay in the area. Like I said, I can't really complain because as the old saying goes (although cliche but true) "you get what you pay for". And it wasn't all that bad.

So here is the good:
Clean rooms, ocean view rooms do indeed have a view of the ocean.
Mostly quiet if you stay on the first floor.
AC strong
Maid service
Pool staff
Proximity to Dunns River Falls, restaurants, market, town in general (it was great to walk around and get a feel for Ochie)

The bad:
Had to wait about 1 and half to get a room, even though we came in about 30 min after the official check in time. Had to continously check for our room and when the rooms were ready, they didn't notify us, we found out because we went up to the front desk and asked a bunch of times. Front desk staff not friendly.
Pool is small (which wouldn't be a problem if the beach would have been better)
No wash cloths (for those who are really picky about that) I always bring my own just in case. My friends didn't and repeatedly ask the hotel for some but never actually received them.

Disappointments:
I have travelled to Jamaica once before and stayed in Negril and after this brief 3 day stay at Ochie, and I guess was spoiled by 7 mile beach because I didn't really think this beach was nearly as great. It looked nice from the outside of the water, but once you got in it was very shallow and had tons of algae (I think that's what it was).

The cruise ships docked right in front of our hotel were cool in the beginning but then lost their appeal.

Finally, although we had an oceanview room, we received a room right near the end of the hall that didn't have a patio. Not a big deal but would've been nice to sit outside of the rooms. Other rooms in that floor had patios.

Overall, the hotel is a no frills budget place that met most of my necessities. I really didn't mind as much because after all I was in Jamaica!! And I was experiencing a different part of the country which I hadn't seen before.

Just my honest opinion.

Stayed August 2006
13 Thank dreamgirl171
Los Angeles
Reviewed August 28, 2006

I stayed at Rooms on the Beach from August 11, 2006 thru August 21, 2006. Unfortunately, my experience was not a pleasant one. Firstly, on the second day of our stay we were inconvenienced by the lack of washcloths and bath towels, I had to go to the local store to purchase these items for me to clean myself. I contacted the front desk, as well as, the housekeeping department for the towels and was informed that the towels were not delivered and that I would have them by that afternoon. As the afternoon approached and I patiently waited for housekeeping to bring towels, none were delivered. Again, I contacted the front desk and housekeeping departments to follow-up on the status of my receiving the towels and was rudely told that no towels would be available until the following day. So now I am unclean for a full day waiting for the towels to be delivered in the afternoon as I was originally told. Upon learning that the towels would not be delivered until the following day, I then proceeded to go to the store to purchase my own towels. Secondly, the showerhead in our bathroom completely fell out of the wall; we informed the front desk and housekeeping departments and were told that maintenance would come by the room to repair the showerhead. Several hours later no one from maintenance had stopped by. While walking down the hallway of the hotel, I spotted a maintenance worker and mentioned that the showerhead was broke and needed to be repaired, I was told that we would be given a new room. I thought, “Great!” However, that would not be the case, while I paid and had an ocean view room, I was moved to a rooftop view room with three beds. I did not need an additional bed, as it was just two of us, the room change whether to a larger suite or with one additional bed was not comparable to an ocean view room that was already paid for. My cousin, Alicia Beckham wrote a formal complaint to the management and gave to the front desk staff. The manager, Mr. Lingo, did contact her and apologized and said that he would give us two nights free stay at Rooms on the Beach. Again, I am thinking, “Great!” However, again, when we asked about the free nights and the voucher the front desk rudely told us that they did not know about this and that Mr. Lingo was on vacation in Florida and that he would not be back by the time that we were scheduled to leave. Thankfully, other activities, one of which was a wedding that my cousin and I were in, helped make our trip very enjoyable and we extended our stay for three additional nights, again the front desk staff was not helpful in attempting to accommodate this request and had us waiting several hours again to let us know if they had any availability. We finally were accommodated and then low and behold our shower in the rooftop view room breaks, again maintenance did not show up after we informed them until the following day. By this point we were extremely livid and angry, and did not want to deal anymore with the extremely unfriendly and rude front desk staff, and just rode it out. My family and I were in over six suites at Rooms on the Beach as we all traveled from Los Angeles to attend and/or to participate in a wedding in Jamaica. Several family members, including myself extended our stay, providing and giving Rooms on the Beach additional money! All in all, my experience at Rooms on the Beach was a very disappointing, unsatisfactory and unacceptable experience. The situation was even more unfortunate as I had stayed at Rooms at the Beach a couple of years ago and raved about the great customer service, staff and overall experience to all of my family members who were booked to stay at Rooms on the Beach and for a lot of them it was there first time in Jamaica. To my disappointment Rooms on the Beach did not meet any of these expectations that I made to my family members, as well as, what your company states that it offers. Trust and believe, I was a walking advertisement for Rooms on the Beach for anyone who was traveling to Jamaica, I raved and praised about that if they were to go to Jamaica that the only place to stay is Rooms on the Beach. No longer will that be the case, I will be posting a blog on the internet blasting that my stay at Rooms on the Beach was the worse experience of my life, and I travel frequently to all parts of the world and have never received the type of treatment and/or service that I received at Rooms on the Beach. I will also be informing all travel agents that I know not to book their clients stay at your hotel, as well, as informing friends, family, business colleagues and the like to not stay at your hotel. It is sad that I was forced to take such drastic matters, as I mentioned before my experience with your hotel in the past had been awesome and it is very sad that is no longer the case!

Disappointed guest,

Angelique L. Blair
bangeb68@yahoo.com

• Liked — The location of the hotel
  • Disliked — Unattentive and rude staff, not having towels for two days, room change from ocen view to rooftop view
  • Tips/Secrets — Check reviews for hotels that are new to you
  • Stayed August 2006
4 Thank bangeb68
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 21, 2006

Must read this review! Very long – but lots of details…

My mother and I just returned from a five day vacation in Ocho Rios. We have traveled to most of the Caribbean islands and throughout Mexico, and we were pleasantly surprised by Jamaica.

Arrived in Montego Bay on a Tuesday, immigration was easy (no lines) and finding the transportation booth was simple. We took another poster's recommendation to arrive on Tuesday because the lines are shorter. We booked our airport transfer online through Jamaica Tours Limited, and please remember to print out your transfer vouchers before leaving home - this made the check-in very quick.

We walked out of the arrival terminal to catch our bus to Rooms. We had read the posts about the trip from Montego Bay to Ochi, and I have to say the good, bad and ugly is true. The road is truly in a state of disarray, and it doesn't look like it will be completed in the next few years, but our bus driver was excellent and was able to navigate the pot holes and dirt mounds with ease. He also provided a great history lesson and pointed out various historical/places of interest along the way. Also, halfway through the 1 1/12 ride, the driver offered to stop at the "rest stop" for us to take a bathroom break or buy a soda.

Arriving at Rooms, we were pleased to see a quaint hotel that had plenty of security and a GORGEOUS view of the ocean. Check-in was quick and easy (again, print off your confirmation), and we were given a "junior suite" on the third floor looking out to the ocean (see picture above). Other posters are correct, there is no elevator, but the staff was so friendly, that I'm sure they would have carried our bags (for a tip of course). The room was great (nice and cool air from the A/C), it had two double beds, a desk, armoire, and a decent size bathroom with a tub. After quickly unpacking, we headed downstairs to the pool bar for drinks and some dinner.

That evening we were welcomed to Jamaica with a beautiful sunset (see pic). We enjoyed our Red Stripes at the pool bar and the bartender was great. He was talkative and recommended things to do and see. Dinner was from the Fusion restaurant, roast chicken and snapper - not quite dinner at the Waldorf, but it was delicious. (Note: some posters talk about the 26% that's added to every bill, 16% is the government tax, and 10% is the service charge, i.e. tip - I usually tip 20%+ in the States, so I would usually add a few extra dollars at the end. If you have any questions about the bill, ask for Carol, she is the Food/Beverage Manager.)

The next day we awoke early (again, other posters are correct that you will hear travelers banging their suitcases down the hall, but because most hotels have open air corridors, I'm hard-pressed to believe that this doesn't happen other places). The sun rises so early in Jamaica, around 5:45am, so I believe that's what woke us up first. Breakfast is the "breadfast" that others mention. You can order of the menu if you'd like - I tried the traditional Jamaican breakfast one morning - it was good (I always try the local dishes).

We moved down to the beach for some sun. I find it strange that other posters haven't mentioned the great almond trees that are on the beach - these provide wonderful shade what you still want to relax on the beach but want to save your skin. A cruise ship arrived at about 9:00am, and we watched the passengers disembark. The bay is busy with jet ski's and other boats going out to the open water, but they're fun to watch.

Armed with our "no, thank you"s, we were off to check out Ocho Rios. There is a security gate at the front of the hotel and once you check out, be prepared because you will be propositioned for taxis, braids and drugs. A firm "no, thank you" is all you need (can't blame someone for asking right? Someone must take them up on their offer).

Shopping is good around Ocho Rios - we tried the open air market, and if you're up for haggling and finding a good bargain - that's your place. We preferred the air-conditioned shopping of the various shopping areas (Soni's Plaza, Taj Majal and Island Village), but my mom did find pleasure in talking someone down from $20 to $10 for a wood craving. For those of you who have been to Mexico, you will find many similarities.

Dinner was at Evita's - remember to call ahead and make reservations because they'll send a cab for you (for free). If you're lucky enough to have Lancelot sent for you, you'll be in good shape. I agree with other posters that if you find a good cab driver, hang on to them. Lancelot was great - he was always on time and knew a lot about Jamaica. Dinner was wonderful - the service was excellent, the food was wonderful and the view was amazing. Evita's is the place were all the celebs go in Ochi.

The next day, another cruise ship was in port, and we started the day with our "breadfast" and then wandered out to the beach. Maybe it was the slower season, but we had NO problem getting a beach lounger. This is probably a good time to mention that the staff at Rooms is ALWAYS cleaning. The pool area is swept and wiped down every morning, and the beach is combed every day. Also, other posters have mentioned how shallow the water is in the bay - this is true, and there is some seaweed/kelp/grass etc on the floor of the ocean. I got over this quickly, and after touring the other beaches, I didn't see another beach were it was any better. The water is very clean and at wonderful Caribbean blue/green.

Lunch was at Ruins ($15/pp buffet with all you can drink - what a STEAL). The food was good, mostly a mix of Jamaican and Chinese, unlimited Red Stripe and dining in front of this beautiful waterfall - can't get much better than this! Be sure to walk around the Ruins, you can climb a staircase and actually go above the falls. This area has so much potential - I'm surprised it wasn't more developed - it would be a great party/wedding spot if they made a few changes. Service was great too - we were given this little origami hummingbirds made out of leaves - a nice touch.

After some more shopping and more Red Stripe at the pool bar, we were off to Margaritaville. We were surprised to find that there is a pool and a waterslide in the restaurant for the kids to play. The best part was that it was mostly locals in the restaurant and it was nice to see them enjoying themselves as much as we were. Food and drinks were great, service could have been better. We were sitting for about 10 minutes before I had to go alert the manager that no one had greeted us. After a couple of margaritas, we quickly forgot about the late greeting. We each had a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" - very good.

Back at the hotel, we're head to bed. The beds are okay, definitely not a Westin Heavenly Bed, but it was clean and after a day of touring the city, we were beat.

The next day, we had our usual routine and waited for our 12:30 Cool Runnings cruise. Captain Vincent booked our trip and took good care of us (you can find him by his bright yellow shirt), and he was such a nice guy that we wished we were there longer so that we could book more tours with him. The Cool Runnings cruise was excellent, and we liked see the view of Ochi from the water. The first stop was snorkeling, which if you've never been snorkeling before, I'm sure you'd love it. For those of us who have snorkeled in Grand Cayman or Cozumel, you'll like it, but it's nothing to write home about. Next we cruised to the Dunn's River Falls (a MUST DO for travelers to Ochi). We decided to do it on a day when there wasn't a cruise ship in town, which ended up working out for us because it wasn't that busy. Climbing the falls was fun and the water was colder than I imagined. Folks of all ages and stages were climbing, my mom, who turned 61 turning this trip, climbed all the way! There are guides and everyone is willing to help others get up the falls - there are a few places were you'll need it.

The cruise then quickly went back to the dock, which only allowed a small time to take advantage of the included alcoholic beverages, but the staff was so nice that they even poured my Red Stripe into a plastic takeaway cup. The cruise lasts for about four hours total.

Back at the hotel, we ask for recommendations for dinner and are told Bi-bi-bips is where we should go, and wow, it was amazing. You'll need to take a taxi to get there, but we found a driver to take us round trip for $15. We were sat right on the balcony overlooking the water (pic above), service was excellent and the food was wonderful (note to those who like spicy food - this is your place - but there are also non-spicy choices.)

Unfortunately, the next day was our last. Our bus left at 10:45am, and we picked up a group of ladies at the Ocho Riu (an all-inclusive resort). Because we had a few minutes, we got off the bus to check it out. It is a beautiful hotel - definitely could be a four, maybe even five star from the looks of it, and boy, it is huge. There are rooms that I bet you need a shuttle to get to. The ladies said that they enjoyed it, but also mentioned that the service and food were lackluster (echoing comments from posters on this site). The trip back to the airport seemed quicker, but once we got there, WOW, the line for security was incredible...I've never seen one this long. Luckily, the transfer company knew this and gave us ample time. Here's a tip that I wish we had read - once you're inside the departure terminal, if you're departing out of gates higher than 10, there are plenty of food, shopping and other outlets in that area - not everything has to be done in the main area.

Overall we had a wonderful time in Ochi and will return. Rooms was excellent and exceeded our expectations. When I return, I plan to do more of the tours and adventures - my goal of this trip was to relax, and mission accomplished.

Questions to ask yourself
1. Do you want to be in the heart of all activity and have plenty of options within walking distance? If so, Rooms is for you. If you prefer to be isolated (I mean that in the most positive way - plus, there are always cabs), then one of the all inclusive resorts might be better, i.e. Riu. We typically don't do all-inclusive because we would feel like we're throwing away money if we didn't eat onsite.
2. Do you want five star service or just a place to hang out and rest at the end of the day? If it's the latter, Rooms is for you. There are no frills, but it is a bang for the buck

Other tips:
- Take a cab after dark.
- Shop around - you'll always find a better price.
- Jamaicans were very easy to please - if there's something you need ask (but, you may need to tip :-) ) They know how much their economy relies on tourism and they want you to come back.
- Trust your instincts - if something doesn't feel right or you're being hassled, walk into a shop or hotel.
- Be careful, some restaurants include tips, others do not.

Happy Travels!

• Liked — Location and Price
  • Disliked — The junior suites don't have a balcony - not a big deal though because we weren't in the room that often.
  • Tips/Secrets — Enjoy yourself!
  • Stayed August 2006
Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
#29 of 36 in Ocho Rios
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean

Been to Rooms Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!