“hmmmmm....”
Review of Rooms Ocho Rios

Rooms Ocho Rios
Ranked #24 of 35 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Reviewed September 24, 2009

this hotel has an excellent location... and the sea view room with balcony was lovely.
the internet was also free., and you can have friends to your room at any time, which was excellent for me as i have a lot of local friends.
however.. these are the only good points!
i found the staff very rude - i was hardly ever spoken to, or made welcome at all.. by reception, bar staff or pool side staff.
to hire a fridge it was $700 ja p/nite!! the free breakfast was bread and jam.. there should have been toast but the toaster didn't work!
the sink in my bathroom was broken - the plunger didn't work, and it didn't get sorted despite me telling reception - the toilet was also making odd noises throughout my stay, and one night it flooded - but next day the maintenance staff insisted that nothing was wrong with it?!!
it is possible i'd return here - but only because it is a good base, and the 'plus' points i mentioned first were of great use to me.
the staff all certainly need some lessons in customer service.
there is no entertainment - at all!

• Stayed: September 2009
1  Thank netnet

Reviewed September 17, 2009

This is the second time my friend and I have stayed at Rooms. The hotel and security staff are friendly, helpful and always willing to please. We love Rooms because it is right on the beach and within walking distance of shopping, night life, bank machines and markets. We didn't have to take a taxi unless we took special trips to Dunns River, Bob Marley's birthplace, etc. We would go back in a heartbeat.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 2, 2009

My second stay at Rooms on the Beach in Ocho was as pleasant as the first. I was there from 4/14 - 4/18, and from 8/14 - 8/21 . . . and I'm hoping to book another trip in a few weeks --- to return to Rooms!

Rooms' central location is excellent, but more than that, the hotel is clean, the grounds are lovely, and the staff is friendly!!! Had a problem with my AC one afternoon, and the maintenance staff was superb and made sure that I was not inconvenienced!

I feel comfortable alone on the property -- and in my room . . . very safe.

The beach is lovely and the view excellent. I loved having a patio that overlooked the ocean, but I've also had a side room that overlooked Jamaica Grande that was so sweet -- with a couch!

The room has a small coffee pot and I'm always anxious to make my coffee in the morning and sit on the patio and breathe in the sweet JA air!

I miss JA -- and Rooms! Another trip "soon come"!!!!

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Lillywight
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Got everything I expected! Clean room, great view, friendly staff and excellent location!!! Vacation was very relaxing and stress free -- I will definitely go back.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2009

Staff is incredibly friendly, professional and very helpful. The rooms were spotless and comfortable. The hotel is in a good location, very safe and best of all right on the beach and close to all amenities. Definitely would go back had such a great time!

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 22, 2009

1st impression of room was ok, but room had ants all over furniture, bathroom cold tap in shower falling off, shower head was loose, bathroom sink breaking away from the housing and had been poorly siliconed in.
Wardrobe in the bathroom so clothes can get damp, room cleaning was at 5.30pm floors left dirty after so called cleaning. Some front desk staff were rude and unhelpful,
and you can see why the breakfast is free they would have to give it away it could never be sold.
Friends came from kingston to get a room for the night were quoted $9.000jm then $11.000
ended up paying $13.000, money was payed at 10.00am at 4.00pm went to get room key and was told no rooms were ready and there were 4 other familys waiting even somebody who booked on june 09 had no room, our friends said they wanted there money back and was told refund would be back in 24 hrs even though money was taken straight away.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank sunnydays36
Reviewed August 16, 2009

When we first got to Rooms in Ocho Rios we were placed into a room that had a busted cabinet, dryer falling out of the wall, and no lock on the door. We immediately went downstairs and informed the front desk of what the room looked like. The room was not to be available to the public, and was slated to be repaired. We were moved to a room on the 3rd floor, and it was very clean. By that time, my wife wanted to stay somewhere else. We stayed at Rooms Thursday night and checked into the Sunset Grande on Friday, which is next door to Rooms.

Being that I had two rooms during our stay (rest of my family coming from the US stayed at Rooms), one at Rooms, and one at Grande, I can say the room at Rooms was just as good or better than the room we had at Jamaica Grande. The only reason we stayed at the Grande most nights, is that it was an all inclusive and we had kids. The atmosphere at Rooms is dead, the pool was dead, and everyone just sat around as if they just came from a funeral. If you're looking for excitement, look elsewhere. If you're looking for a clean room to sleep at, and enjoy soaking up the local surrounding....go to Rooms. I enjoyed the Grande, due to family entertainment, and everything was paid for up front. The kids ate and drank as much as they wanted at the Grande, and if you drink liquor, you need to go to an all inclusive. As soon as I got off the Grande property, money was flying out of my pockets...kids are thirty, hungry,...etc...etc. The prices for drinks at Rooms, were average....but the bar was dead.

The staff at Rooms was very polite, and the General Manager (Susette B.) always greeted me by name, after the room incident. She also knew I would be writing something on TripAdvisor. We always had clean towels, and the maids did a good job cleaning the room. The rest of my family enjoyed their stay there (we came down with 16 people), and was happy with their accommodations. I would stay there if I did not need all inclusive, and wanted to be in the heart of the city. If I'm going with the family, kids are 8and 7,....... I'm going to an all inclusive.

If I didn't have the issue with the first room, I would give cleanliness 4 stars. The Rooms look just like the picture on the site. Finally, the front desk should be be in the middle of the hotel, so people with low number rooms shouldn't have to walk such a long distance to their room.

The weight room needs to be updated, and some of the equipment was broken. Air conditioning would be nice touch too. The Spa in the hotel did not look like something anyone would utilize. The hotel is just wha tit advertises itself to be, a clean room by the beach in the heart of Ocho Rios.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with family