“Exactly what I wanted”

Ranked #14 of 36 Hotels in Ocho Rios
Dayton, Ohio
“Exactly what I wanted”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2009

Stayed for 6 days over Thanksgiving and hotel was as advertised - beachfront, and right in the middle of Ochi so could walk to alot of places without taxi. Not 5-star, but that's not what I wanted to pay for - and was good value for the price. If you want the perfect place to base your Ochi adventures from - highly recommend.
Had a beachfront room on 2nd floor and it was definitely clean, secure, and comfortable - the things that matter to me. Bathroom was clean, shower had good pressure and plenty of warm water. On first morning, talked to the maid and asked her to leave extra towels each day - no problem - and they were there each time. They also provide beach towels.
The rest of the staff was friendly, too. Only bar is at the pool - fine for me - they let us run a tab each time and sign it to the room. Only downside was they played US music, not reggae - and that's what I'm in Jamaica for. Bartender would play some when asked, but always switched back. - said other guests requested it. But everyone I talked to had same opinion as me. I don't think it was hotel policy - because other staff said that was just the music he liked.
Deserving special mention was Bryan - the lifeguard - great guy. I wanted to go to the Sunday night beach party about 1/2-hr away and he offered to accompany me. Any time you go out of main tourist areas - especially at night - always travel with a trusted local. Had a great time. While at the party, a local lady passed out in the bar area - Bryan was first one to jump in and provide first aid. Turned out nothing serious - just too much to drink.

• Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (200)
  • Polish first
niagara falls
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2009

The rooms on The Beach Hotel (Super Clubs) Is the ultimate experience for comfort and pleasure.The appreciation of being a welcomed guest is second to none.
Everyone from the management to the staff and including Exmil Security is what enables the success of this fine operation.
Comfort is quite important in many ways and Rooms Ocho Rios has enabled such.
Local people are great with phenominal local food all with in a short walking distance.
Be sure visit this place and tell them Paul Said hello.

P.Graham
Niagara Falls Ontario

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
philadelphia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2009

My wife and stayed for two days. We found Rooms to be okay for the money. I guess you get what you pay for. The desk people were friendly and professional, the breakfast was toast, coffee and juice.
When we were there it struck us as more of a local spot; there were more locals than tourists. The beach is public so there is a certain amount of "do you want to go diving, do you want to go....?
A bigger problem for me was Ocho. I found it had the most agressive taxis drivers, salespeople and beggars. We visited Montego Bay, Negril and Port Anotonio; Ocho was our least favorite place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Winnipeg
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

We got a last minute deal for 2 weeks in Jamaica at Rooms. If you want 5 star accomodation, this is not the place for you. Rooms is like being with family without the headaches of family. Our room had a balcony facing the bay, kingsize bed (very comfy), coffeemaker, in room safe (no surcharge) on the third floor (walk up). I saw that there was a wheelchair available on the first floor for guests.The rooms were clean and we were able to have an extra pillow and towels. We did not tip until the end of our stay and the service was excellent from day one. The continental breakfast was adequate to start off your day ( although fresh fruit would be a nice addition). The toaster has seen better days but you are on vacation, relax, you are not supposed to be in a rush. There is music by the pool until 11 p.m. and if you want it quieter, ask for a room further from the pool.
I too heard the "frisky cats" on 2 occasions, no worse than my neighborhood. Meals are available at the hotel and we had jerk chicken (very tasty if you like spicy) one evening. The price was higher than the local restaurants but comparable to the fancier ones. There were comfy lounge chairs by the pool and at the beach for your use. Taxi service and tours are available right from the hotel although we chose to embark on our travels alone. When the cruise ships are not in port, taxi rates can be quite low and of course always negotiate a price down from what they quote. We like the idea that the hotel is right on the beach and also right in town. We met local people and were invited to their homes. Found some great prices (after negotiation) on pottery, carvings etc. Big thanks to the staff Jackie, Frederick, Coutney, Bryan, Suzette, Marcus and the rest whose names I have forgotten. If you get a cheap flight to Jamaica, check with Suzette about prices if it is off season or an extended stay. We met a couple who were staying there for 6 weeks. We definitely plan to return when we can get a cheap flight.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Alberta
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2009

You get what you pay for and this is to true at Rooms on the Beach! We were looking for an economy hotel where we could base for a couple of nights while we enjoyed the outdoor activities in Ocho Rios and surrounding areas. That is exactly what we found at Rooms...with a very nice ocean view. The breakfast included was an overstatement, even for a continental breakfast it was a joke as the toaster didn't work and the coffee was awful. A couple reviews we saw before booking this hotel stated that the room was a bit musty and we found this to be the case but nothing opening the balcony door for a bit didn't help with. If you are looking for a fairly low priced base while in Ocho Rios, then this is it.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2009

hotel staff friendly...i dont think so! very rude apart from the odd one. room clean?! NEVER!!! we had to ask the cleaner for clean towels and bed linen, was told we couldn't have any!! so she brought us face cloths!! we could not wait to leave. we have travelled all over the world and never experienced anything like this. what a let down. will never return to rooms on the beach

• Stayed July 2008, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Ocho Rios hotels

Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2009

I really cannot wait to go back I totally enjoyed my stay and I speak for my friends, great location Burger King and Banks across the road, the rooms are big especially the Balcony rooms, i do not mind the view of the ships, the staff are really great, they try to assist in every way possible trust me they have an answer to all your questions. Unique little hotel quiet and you do what you want when you want not like all-inclusives, any tours you need Shandia is your girl! and Bryan is a great lifeguard. They have a restaurant free continental and then you can purchase american breakfast. Lots of security which i like for single ladies especially for a ep resort. they are constantly painting for the place to look fresh. I WILL BE BACK.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled on business
Shaw Park Beach Hotel & Spa
#30 of 36 in Ocho Rios
Grand Bahia Principe Jamaica
Royal Decameron Club Caribbean

Been to Rooms Ocho Rios? Share your experiences!